As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LOTRO] Barrovian Society Wanders but is not Lost

• DedianDedian Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    so do any of you guys still play on landroval on a regular basis, it gets awful lonely levellin' alone.

Yep - lvl 39 champ (Dedian) and sometimes on as some alts, but I generally play at least an hour or two weekdays, little more on the weekend.. I've got a level 13 hunter and guardian, so could use those too :D

Dedian on
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm a 33 champ, I wasn't even talking about like, levelling wise, I just need a kin where there are actually people online to talk to while I'm grinding and exploring.

Depressperado on
  • MatsuhitoMatsuhito Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My 18 or 19 Champion is on Landroval.

Matsuhito on
  • Stevo 22Stevo 22 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Signing in for champ club.

49 Champion on Landroval, named Raius. Always willing to help, very generous, but my router won't let me play right now. Hopefully fixing this soon but its far from the top of my priorities... so hopefully I'm back in Arda before you folks catch up.

Stevo 22 on
    "It's do or die." "Hey, I've died twice."
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Stevo 22 wrote: »
    Router problems prevent me from getting back into Middle Earth for the time being. Blasted! :x A welcome break, I suppose. The daily grind was draining my vitality. Hopefully I'm back in this before anyone gets to Moria...

And right after I mailed you all that leather, too. :x

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
    edited January 2009
    Triple B wrote: »
    Router problems prevent me from getting back into Middle Earth for the time being. Blasted! :x A welcome break, I suppose. The daily grind was draining my vitality. Hopefully I'm back in this before anyone gets to Moria...

I am often the victim of perfect timing. D:

Stevo 22 on
    edited January 2009

I am often the victim of perfect timing. D:

By the time you get your ass back on, I won't need to mooch off of you. :(

Triple B on
    edited January 2009
    But I looooooooove being mooched off of. D:

I have tried all of the recommended 'fixes.' This is getting to be rigoddamndiculous. I just want to hit 50, why must you torment me so Linksys.

Stevo 22 on
    edited January 2009
    well you have to consider the possibility that you are just bad at the internet

Triple B on
    edited January 2009
    This is heresy. I wouldn't be so bad at the internet if I didn't have a dickcheese router for a friend. :x He won't let me play games, or use torrents, or anything. It's as if he up and turned my room into China. And a China without MMOs is no China at all. AOE is Raius. WOE is me.

On the plus side, my constant nagging may have encouraged some friends of mine to give LoW-TrO a chance. Must... fix... situation. Strangling the router hasn't been as super effective as I had hoped. Any ideas? Port forwarding does not seem to be working.
    LOTRO wrote:
    The default data center "httpL//gls.lotro.com/GLS.DataCenterServer/Service.asmx" is not available.

Stevo 22 on
    edited January 2009
    This is heresy. I wouldn't be so bad at the internet if I didn't have a dickcheese router for a friend. :x He won't let me play games, or use torrents, or anything. It's as if he up and turned my room into China. And a China without MMOs is no China at all. AOE is Raius. WOE is me.

On the plus side, my constant nagging may have encouraged some friends of mine to give LoW-TrO a chance. Must... fix... situation. Strangling the router hasn't been as super effective as I had hoped. Any ideas? Port forwarding does not seem to be working.
    LOTRO wrote:
    The default data center "httpL//gls.lotro.com/GLS.DataCenterServer/Service.asmx" is not available.

I think your router has the AIDS and needs to be sent out to pasture.

Triple B on
    edited January 2009

LOTRO wrote:

I think your router has the AIDS and needs to be sent out to pasture.

Nth degree murder is forthcoming. I need to get back in this game.

Stevo 22 on
    edited January 2009

LOTRO wrote:

I don't think there's any incoming port forwarding requirements for the client. This is from one of their FAQ type posts on the forum (which you've probably seen, but anyway :D)
    LOTRO wrote:
    Firewall Settings

The following ports will need to be opened outbound for Lord of the Rings Online:

* Port 80
    * Ports 9000-9010 UDP
    * Ports 2900-2910 UDP

Two files will also need to be added to your firewall exceptions list. These two files are launcher.exe and lotroclient.exe. Both of the files need to have full permission in the firewall to access the servers.

I don't think it'd be firewall settings but might want to check those, too. Almost seems like a name resolution thing - see if you can ping the server it says its having trouble connecting to...

Dedian on
    edited January 2009
    Tried opening the ports through the router page and it's a no go. I have a feeling I'm going to have to abolish all sense of "security" in order to get anything happening. Which isn't exactly a concern but I'm not the only one using this connection so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

edit: I DID IT. I beat the internet! Now I'm simply playing for achievements. Had to exterminate the router Dalek-style but I'm back on, finally. Send a mail to Raius and he will help you with your questing, provided you're lvl 48 or lower. Otherwise you will help him. :x

Stevo 22 on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    edited January 2009
    Dinged 23 a little while ago, and already halfway to dinging 24. Got bitched at by some argumentative twat about aggro'ing an orc he claimed he was going after in Ost Cyrn. Seems like hunters are the targets of much bitching due to their range. "You knew I was going after that orc, hurga hurga durrr." I guess there weren't enough orcs for the two of us or something.

Triple B on
    edited January 2009
    As a Champion I've never run into that scenario but it sounds annoying. What class was he?

Golden rule is if you see a hunter, fellow with him. You'll run faster, and he has great range. If you don't, it's your own fault.

Stevo 22 on
    edited January 2009
    As a Champion I've never run into that scenario but it sounds annoying. What class was he?

Golden rule is if you see a hunter, fellow with him. You'll run faster, and he has great range. If you don't, it's your own fault.

I think he was a rune-keeper. Not certain. In which case, you have range too, fucker. You were closer than I was, you were standing still, and you had plenty of time to at least attempt to make it look like you were going to attack the orc. Meh. I really need to take some time to level up my champion.

Triple B on
    edited January 2009
    haven't played in a week, and for the next week onwards I'll be taking a 60hrs/w workload at college. I'm going to try playing half an hour per day, but damn, game's hardly worth the monthly fee this way. :(

Aldo on
    edited January 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    haven't played in a week, and for the next week onwards I'll be taking a 60hrs/w workload at college. I'm going to try playing half an hour per day, but damn, game's hardly worth the monthly fee this way. :(

Clearly the proper solution is to drop out of college and live in someone's basement playing LOTRO all day.

Triple B on
    edited January 2009

Clearly the proper solution is to drop out of college and live in someone's basement playing LOTRO all day.

:lol: I suspect some of my kinmembers of this.

Aldo on
    edited January 2009

:lol: I suspect some of my kinmembers of this.

Indeed. To each his own, I suppose. :lol:

Addendum: I fucking hate the Lone Lands as an area, it just feels altogether unfriendly. But god damn are the quests awesome. Dinged 23 last night, and after running a few quests that didn't take very much time at all, I dinged 24 before I went to bed. Before long, my hunter will be my highest level character (A record currently held by ol' Edros sitting at 29.) :D

Triple B on
    edited January 2009
    Triple B wrote:

Addendum: I fucking hate the Lone Lands as an area, it just feels altogether unfriendly. But god damn are the quests awesome. Dinged 23 last night, and after running a few quests that didn't take very much time at all, I dinged 24 before I went to bed. Before long, my hunter will be my highest level character (A record currently held by ol' Edros sitting at 29.) :D

Once I started doing the epic line of quests in the Lone Lands (Chap 2?) I pretty much gave up on the region as a whole... Got up to North Downs and did those quests. I don't know if I'll ever enter Garth Agarwen or whatever it is, but I wouldn't feel bad if I didn't.

Dedian on
    edited January 2009
    GA is beautiful, it just takes long to complete. I quite like Lone Lands, I don't know why.

Aldo on
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, I like hte Lone Lands too. I feel the quests are well centered around the Forsaken Inn, and then around Ost Guruth, with minimal running between the two during them.

The North Lands is ALOT of running.....tons of running. Eep.

I have two toons the same level and both are in the Lone Lands. I think I am going to stop playing the Hunter for a while, cause it's annoying to do the same quest back to back. I think a cushion of 10 levels or so should do the trick.

DrunkMc on
    edited January 2009
    I can't even think about starting an alt, I think I spent too much time doing some deeds to want to do them again any time soon.

Aldo on
  • Anti-SeanAnti-Sean Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dedian wrote: »
    Triple B wrote:

Once I started doing the epic line of quests in the Lone Lands (Chap 2?) I pretty much gave up on the region as a whole... Got up to North Downs and did those quests. I don't know if I'll ever enter Garth Agarwen or whatever it is, but I wouldn't feel bad if I didn't.

The total lack of class trainers and lack of crafting facilities until you get to Ost Guruth can definitely make the Lone Lands feel a bit unwelcoming. That having been said, it was a great place to level up from about 14-21. GA can die in a fire, though - I'm only doing Book 2 w/ my main to get the title for completing the first 8 books; aside from that and doing Book 2 with my LM when he hits the appropriate level to get non-combat pets, I won't be setting foot in there again.

Anti-Sean on
  • blindside044blindside044 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

That's why the Lifetime offer is your friend. :) No "pressure" to play; just play when you want. :D

blindside044 on
    edited January 2009
    That's why the Lifetime offer is your friend. :) No "pressure" to play; just play when you want. :D
    200€ for a game I'm not even sure I'll play in half a year? Nah.

Aldo on
  • blindside044blindside044 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    200€ for a game I'm not even sure I'll play in half a year? Nah.

I guess :P ....but speaking for myself, I only play games I really enjoy (after testing it out for a day - month). There are plenty of OK games out there that I can play 'for now', but thats just kind of a waste of time (pun intended). So I know if I really enjoy a game, i'll be playing it for a while. :)

blindside044 on
    edited January 2009
    Fair enough, depending on content and my time off I'll be playing this for year. It's just that I've got a backlog starting at september 2008 until summer break, I don't allow myself to play single player games unless I have enough time to jump into the story/master the game. MMOs are just easier and less intensive on me, so they're easy to fully enjoy with only a few hours per week play time.

Aldo on
  • Anti-SeanAnti-Sean Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Looks like there's a 10 day free trial available in the US again, for those who want to try it out. I seem to recall the pre-Moria trial being 14 days, but I'm not 100% sure.

Anti-Sean on
    edited January 2009
    EU has a welcome back week, by the way.

Aldo on
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    @Aldo - How about you think of it like your phone bill or cable TV bill or something like that? I enjoy MMOs more now that I just sub to COH and never worry about it - play when I can, don't when I can't. Thinking 'have I played enough hours to justify the fee?' just takes so much of the fun out of it.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
    edited January 2009
    Seriously, man, I've kicked myself so many times for not buying the lifetime scrip when it was available for $200. First, I wouldn't have lost my founder status, second, I've been playing more than long enough to justify it. Goddamn, I wish I'd bought that thing.

Also, dinged 25 a few minutes ago while running a quest in Evendim. First time going there, and it's pretty scary. :(

Seriously, level 30 deer? Really?

Triple B on
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

level 30 bloodthirsty, aggro deer D:

DiscoZombie on
    edited January 2009
    Seriously, man, I've kicked myself so many times for not buying the lifetime scrip when it was available for $200. First, I wouldn't have lost my founder status, second, I've been playing more than long enough to justify it. Goddamn, I wish I'd bought that thing.

Also, dinged 25 a few minutes ago while running a quest in Evendim. First time going there, and it's pretty scary. :(

There's some scary badgers in the Trollshaws :D

Evendim has probably been my favorite region so far... Aside from the huge timesink lying in the middle (sometimes referred to as The Everswim), the design/lighting/atmosphere of the place is awesome. I think I'm heading into the Misty Mnts now with quests... just makes me want to crank up the heat in the house.

Dedian on
    edited January 2009
    I think that with 30mins/day I'd play it enough to justify throwing money at, it's not like I'm beating myself up for not playing or something. Just, 200€ is a lot of money.

Aldo on
    edited January 2009

level 30 bloodthirsty, aggro deer D:

First time I attacked one of the adults, about halfway through his health bar, he starts making noise. You know....bleating, I guess. So I'm like "alright, he's doing a buff on himself or something, no big deal, he'll be dead soon enough OH GOD HE'S CALLING ANOTHER ONE FUCK ME HELP OH DAMN MY HUMAN LEGS"

I left half my soul laying on the fields of Bullroarer's Sward last night.

Triple B on
  • Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'd really enjoy the Misty Mountains and Angmar a whole lot more if they weren't full of Bastards Who Throw Rocks At You. Seriously, I can handle anything else, but for some reason those rock-throwers get my blood a boilin'.

Simon Moon on
    Steam: simon moon