As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So, the DS ... I hear it's got two screens. Any model differences?

LunkerLunker Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Games and Technology
:(

After years of loving service, my black DS Lite is dying. At least, I think so: It's starting to not detect games in the DS slot, it freezes up more often than it ever did in the past and, no more than 15 minutes ago, the right hinge just broke. I literally made a D: face at my desk, because I've been using this shit like every day for the past three years.

If it does indeed give up the ghost, I need to replace it ASAP. I haven't been paying attention, but I remember there being a big to-do over certain models of DS Lites having shoddier screens (the black-and-red Brain Training ones, IIRC). Is this still an issue with whatever DS Lites are readily available now? Are there certain models I should avoid or look for? I'm partial to the silver one, which looks really nice in person.

Addendum: If you had to replace your old/buy a new DS Lite, what color would you grab? I haven't really been keeping tabs on what's new, so I don't even know what the latest colors/good deals are.

Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
Lunker on

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The black and red Brain Training ones had shoddier screens? Mine seems fine, I'd best take another look. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Does Nintendo still fix hinge cracks? Might be worth checking out.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Would they for a DS Lite from 2006 with no receipt? I know Nintendo's customer service is good, but ... that good?

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Lunker wrote: »

Would they for a DS Lite from 2006 with no receipt? I know Nintendo's customer service is good, but ... that good?

Usually. If it's not free, it'll be cheap -- especially if you mention that you are directly responsible for 1% of their sales, Lunker. :D

(No, seriously, sweet-talk 'em a bit, tell your story about daily use and all that. Couldn't hurt).

Guess that means no DSi for you though, right?

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Athenor wrote: »
    Guess that means no DSi for you though, right?

The thought flicked through my mind, but I'm still on the fence ... this would be a good opportunity to upgrade, though. That rumored April U.S. release of the DSi was never confirmed, right? If I need to put money down to buy a new unit, maybe I should just spring for the DSi. Hmm.

Lunker on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This year's limited edition colors were fire-engine red with a Mario emblem in the corner and New SMB for a pack-in, and a mint blue with... uh, something or other as a pack-in. Maybe you can work your magic on those? ;)

But yeah, strong rumors are that the DSi arrives here in April, so it might be worth waiting a while.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    But Lunker, Dragon Quest 5 is next month. You'll need a DS to play that. Otherwise I'd probably just wait for the DSi because now you have an excuse for the upgrade as opposed to getting it just because it's new. Maybe you could play some old GBA games while you wait. You can move GBA games down to the touchscreen can't you?

Gilder on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hmm... when the DSi gets here, there should be a major drop in price on the DS Lites, correct? Because my DS brick is losing the right shoulder button and the paint is worn off all over the place. If I could find a DS Lite for under a hundred bucks, I'd probably buy it.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Gilder wrote: »
    But Lunker, Dragon Quest 5 is next month. You'll need a DS to play that. Otherwise I'd probably just wait for the DSi because now you have an excuse for the upgrade as opposed to getting it just because it's new. Maybe you could play some old GBA games while you wait. You can move GBA games down to the touchscreen can't you?

I knew in my heart of hearts that I was keeping my GB Micro for a reason ... maybe I'll wait to see if there's a DSi announcement after all. The DSL screens are still connected and the unit still opens and closes, but there's a definite crack in the hinge right next to the piece of plastic with the power/wi-fi lights. The top screen is all limp and flaccid instead of stiff as a board when it clicks into place; for some reason, scratches and dust don't bug me at all on the screens but the lack of tactile click! as the screen locks into place bugs me.
    Terrendos wrote:
    Hmm... when the DSi gets here, there should be a major drop in price on the DS Lites, correct? Because my DS brick is losing the right shoulder button and the paint is worn off all over the place. If I could find a DS Lite for under a hundred bucks, I'd probably buy it.

I don't know if it would be "major" but there might be a bit of a drop. IIRC, when the DS Lite came out here at $149, the DS Phats dropped down to $129 ... but in Japan, I think the DS Lite stayed at the same price and the DSi just came out at a higher price. :|

Lunker on
  • Options
    Bosshog78Bosshog78 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Was studying up on the DSi after reading this thread and this was the last paragraph on wikipedia-

"The DSi is being released in Europe in spring 2009. Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime claimed that DS Lite sales in the United States were still strong, so introducing the DSi to the USA is not a high priority, and will not be available in North America until "well into 2009"."

Bosshog78 on
  • Options
    LukinLukin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    The black and red Brain Training ones had shoddier screens? Mine seems fine, I'd best take another look. :D

The bottom screen on mine is kind of yellowy, but otherwise it's fine.

Lukin on
    cancer.jpg
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I would see if you can wait for the DSi. Most of the features I am interested in but I see as take it or leave it, depending on the person...but several really stand out to me. Built in web browser is always a plus, even if it can't do anything fancy. DS download service opens up a lot of great possibilities, I am still hoping for some of the Virtual Console to make it across. And I really look forward to games using the camera. Eye of Judgement or similar? Some rad new Pokemon Snap? Yes please.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky