As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Rabbit at Rest - RIP John Updike

DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy EaterRight behind you...Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
John Updike, a Lyrical Writer of the Ordinary, Is Dead at 76.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/28/books/28updike.html?_r=1&hp
John Updike, the kaleidoscopically gifted writer whose quartet of Rabbit Angstrom novels highlighted so vast and protean a body of fiction, verse, essays and criticism as to place him in the first rank of among American men of letters, died on Tuesday. He was 76 and lived in Beverly Farms, Mass.

The cause was cancer, according to a statement by Alfred A. Knopf, his publisher. A spokesman said Mr. Updike died at a hospice outside Boston.

Of Mr. Updike’s 61 books, perhaps none captured the imagination of the book-reading public as those about ordinary citizens in small-town and urban settings. His best-known protagonist, Harry (Rabbit) Angstrom, first appears as a former high-school basketball star trapped in a loveless marriage and a sales job he hates. Through the four novels whose titles bear his nickname — “Rabbit, Run,” “Rabbit Redux,” “Rabbit Is Rich” and “Rabbit at Rest” — the author traces the sad life of this undistinguished middle-American against the background of the last half-century’s major events.

“My subject is the American Protestant small town middle class,” Mr. Updike told Jane Howard in a 1966 interview for Life magazine. “I like middles,” he continued. “It is in middles that extremes clash, where ambiguity restlessly rules.”

Dalboz on

• deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Gods do not answer letters.

That's what I'll always remember him by

deadonthestreet on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    oh damn, Updike is dead?

I need to go back and read some of his works again as an homage.

MrMonroe on
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    As much as he is an annoying egotist, Updike wrote Centaur, which is one of the best American novels of the 20th century.

John, I hate that your stupid name is all over most of Nabokov's novels, but you wrote some really good novels. No hard feelings.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png