As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Simple GBA games for a 5 year old

plufimplufim DrRegistered User regular
edited January 2009 in Games and Technology
So, my brother's kid recently became interested in gaming, so I wanted to hand down my old Gameboy Advance. However, most of my games would be too complicated for a first timer. I've got Mark Kart and Sonic Advance 3 for him, but was hoping to get a few more for him off eBay, but I really wanted some more simple to play. not particularly frustrating games.

Any advice? Anyone got a kid know what sort of games work best?

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
steam_sig.png
plufim on

• Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The Super Mario Advance games are ports of the Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3 and Super Mario World for SNES.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ubisoft's Baby Pals

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ubisoft's Baby Pals

It's not even made by Ubisoft and it's a DS game. Go somewhere else and tell them how "Islam is the light".

Peewi on
  • Options
    Sorcha RavenlockSorcha Ravenlock Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    For a 5-year old a lot of games could be too hard, especially if they've never gamed before. it depends on where his interests lie though, my daughter made her way all the way through POkemon Diamond by herself even though the rulesystem is quite complex.
    So if he's into POkemon then Leafgreen might be a good choice. They are fun games and very well put together and a good introduction to RPGs.

POkemon Rescue dungeon might be nice as well, again, my daughter loves hers, although you might want to sit down with him and explain how it works. We do this with most games by the way, if I don't know the game myself I'll read the manual first and then we'll sit together through the first bit because children do seem to miss instructions sometimes.

Another one you might look into is the Harvest moon series, where you play as a farmer and grow crops and tend to animals, befriend villagers and eventually get married and have a child. They have a lovely atmosphere and there is a lot to do in them. My daughter loves hers, but she is 8 and so that bit older.

Be careful with movie-tie-ins, they aren't always well-made and can be unforgivingly hard. We've burned ourselves a few times, although for the price of most GBA games on E-bay you can't go far wrong is he's really into a particular francise.

I wish I could help more, we didn't get into handhelds until the DS and there are so many good DS games we want to play that we haven't even scratched the surface of the GBA ones.

I don't know if the GBA has a mariocart but that would be another one you might want to look for, they are fun little racers that aren't too hard.

Edit: (ugh where's my brain?) A good place to look for reviews for games for a particular age is the Gamerdad website, they review games with children in mind and have a review database where you can search on age for various platforms:
    http://www.gamerdad.com/archive.cfm?typeID=videogame&listID=reviews

0-5 and most 6+ games should be fine for him.

Sorcha Ravenlock on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ubisoft's Baby Pals

I don't understand why everyone is shitting on Ubisoft when they didn't even make that damn game.

If it was Ubisoft it would be called "Baby Palz".

Edit: Anywho, the two kirby games: Nightmare in Dreamland and Kirby & the Amazing Mirror, are perfect.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop