As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TV on DVD: Recommendations

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Frisky Dingo. It's actually not the best bang for the buck since you can actually watch an entire season in a single sitting if you wanted, but it's still spectacularly funny and only twenty bucks each.

Quid on
  • enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Rome.

Once you're done, you may unspoiler my next recommendation.
    Oz.
    But don't watch episodes back-to-back. Your subconscious needs about 1 day's rest in between.

But seriously, go watch Rome.

enc0re on
  • enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The Pretender.

Came out mid-late 90s. It's about a supergenius that basically grew up in a lab. He escapes and hijinx commence to happening. The hook is that he can basically pretend to be anything. Surgeon, pilot, lawyer etc etc.

Show was before it's time. Nowadays with the huge over-arcing plots of so many shows, it would fit right in, but back then people were more used to a story per episode regimen.

Pretender also aired with Profiler. While not as good, it occupies the same universe and they have two crossovers. So if you like to watch one episode of a variety of shows every night (as I do), those two make for good interleaving.

And Early Edition, if you find yourself in need of programming that is family-safe. Just came out on DVD last year.

enc0re on
  • LacroixLacroix Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This man is wrong. Ignore him.

Very. Very Wrong. Maaybe throw away the first disc of season 5, as it finds its feet redefining itself as you get a couple of not so important throwaway eps... but also hot naked lady being hosed down... which is a plus if youre into that sort of thing. But most of season 5 is great... and very much the opposite of the 'ever darkening crap' that is complained of in the post.

There is an episode about a Mexican Wrestler for goodness sakes!

Lacroix on
  • Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    Frisky Dingo. It's actually not the best bang for the buck since you can actually watch an entire season in a single sitting if you wanted, but it's still spectacularly funny and only twenty bucks each.

One of the best shows AS has ever had, I put it right up there with the venture bros.

Boosh!

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The Big Bang Theory is terrible.

How I Met Your Mother is quite good though, definitely the best laugh-track comedy on TV.

tofu on
  • ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    tofu wrote: »
    The Big Bang Theory is terrible.

You and I...are on 2 different wavelengths.

Although I agree concerning How I Met Your Mother, so we cool.

Scotty on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Seconding Trailer Park Boys.

Also, Breaking Bad. The dad from Malcolm in the Middle is a high school science teacher who snaps under pressure of a crisis and starts cooking crystal meth. Awesome.

TL DR on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Both seasons of Dead Like Me are wonderful, and dirt cheap.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Adult Swim sort of played it into the ground, but in all seriousness Futurama is an incredible show, possibly the best written and designed animated show of all time. But the reason you should get the DVDs is the commentary. Oh lord the commentary. David X Cohen is one of the funniest human beings on the planet as far as I'm concerned, and pretty much every episode has Billy West and John DiMaggio being hilarious.

All four seasons are phenomenal, with Season 3 probably being my favorite for having Roswell that Ends Well and Time Keeps on Slipping in it.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Also, Breaking Bad. The dad from Malcolm in the Middle is a high school science teacher who snaps under pressure of a crisis and starts cooking crystal meth. Awesome.

I can't wait for this to come back on in March.

tofu on
    edited January 2009
    tofu wrote: »

I can't wait for this to come back on in March.
    Third'd

Breaking Bad is probably the best show to come out last year. And it was on basic cable of all things. Bryan Cranston is unfathomably brilliant in it.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'd recommend The Sopranos, but the DVDs themselves were awful. Only 3 episodes per disc, terrible menus (you have to manually start each episode, they don't play in sequence), and if you put them in your computer they install some software rubbish.

Yeah, The Sopranos is a fantastic show but the DVDs are pretty awful. On the set I have, in the season 3 box there's even one double-sided disc in there, each side holding only two episodes. What the fuck is up with that? Some of the discs have four episodes on them, why did this one need to have a double-sided disc? God, I hate double-sided discs, espesially in this case because you have no way of knowing which side has what episodes so you gotta put it in, make through all the company logos and such, and then when you get to the menu you have to check the episode names to know which of them you should watch first.

I still recommend it, though. It's one of the best shows there has ever been. But dear god at the DVDs.

reVerse on
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The Unit is a pretty good show. As long as you fast forward past all the whiny wives scenes.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wifflebat wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    I'm currently working through the first season of Dead Like Me on Netflix... it's pretty fantastic.

The problem with that show is that it doesn't actually go anywhere as it was short lived

It went about as far as it needed to in my opinion. Once Fuller checked out, it got so dark that I'm glad it stopped, otherwise who knows what may have happened.

haha... spoiler alert? I just said I was working my way through the first season.

It's cool though... :)

Fuller = Brian Fuller, the producer/writer/show-runner, not a character and I totally didn't give any specific details. You should pay attention though, see if you notice the changeover.

I never really noticed, but I didn't know about it at the time. I enjoyed the second season about as much as the first.

It had a good ending, for what it was.

Still, there's the movie to look forward to, if it ever comes out.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Sykus wrote: »
    Mei Hikari wrote: »
    I'm surprised you never went past season 3 of Buffy. If it helps at all, Nathan Fillion appears in the last season. :P

I watched up through season five, just haven't gotten around to the last two seasons. I have a reason to now, though.

Season six gets really, really fucking terrible. But it's worth sticking through to the end as season seven gets really damn good again.

Gotta disagree, here. Without giving too much away, "Once More With Feeling" is probably the single best episode of Buffy ever made. Season 6 is worth it just for that reason alone.

But even excepting that, I liked the dark turn everything took in season 6. It's good to see heroes battle inner demons every now and then.

Did you pick up on
    the fact that Willow was addicted to magic? Like a drug? Because it was addicting? Like the time she went to the opium, I mean magic den? And almost killed Dawn because she was driving while high, I mean, infused with magic?

Yeah, it had two or three good episodes, but the use of the metaphore as a baseball bat across your skull was fucking unforgivable, lazy writing.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited January 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'm currently working through the first season of Dead Like Me on Netflix... it's pretty fantastic.

The problem with that show is that it doesn't actually go anywhere as it was short lived

It went about as far as it needed to in my opinion. Once Fuller checked out, it got so dark that I'm glad it stopped, otherwise who knows what may have happened.

haha... spoiler alert? I just said I was working my way through the first season.

Fuller = Brian Fuller, the producer/writer/show-runner, not a character and I totally didn't give any specific details. You should pay attention though, see if you notice the changeover.

I never really noticed, but I didn't know about it at the time. I enjoyed the second season about as much as the first.

February 17

Looks like it's for real this time too, as it's already been debuted on TV, and is available illicitly on the internet.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited January 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

February 17

Looks like it's for real this time too, as it's already been debuted on TV, and is available illicitly on the internet.

TV? O_o When and where and how?

Canada, eh.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Pick up the rest of the Simpsons & Futurama. Those should be your first priority. Seasons 1-10 of the Simpsons and all of Futurama can be had for $20 each if you shop around.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited January 2009
    Oh! And the Powerpuff Girls. The complete series box set just dropped for $50. Best entertainment-to-dollar ratio you'll find on DVD.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The simpsons isn't really watchable beyond season 4 or 5 for me, I'm not sure exactly what the declining points is...

Curb Your Enthusiasm if you liked Seinfeld and don't mind high blood pressure.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    edited January 2009
    TheStig wrote: »
    The simpsons isn't really watchable beyond season 4 or 5 for me, I'm not sure exactly what the declining points is...

I think it's great up until season 10-ish. Even Season 9 has some gems, and "Homer vs. the City of New York" is my favorite episode in the series.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Extras is a good series. I just ordered myself the series when it was on sale from Amazon.

Nimble Cat on
    edited January 2009

I think it's great up until season 10-ish. Even Season 9 has some gems, and "Homer vs. the City of New York" is my favorite episode in the series.

10 is still good, but that definately is the tipping point for me. The first few episodes into the set, I was worried I'd wasted my money.

Edit: To Stig, everything is still golden up to Season 8 at the very least. How can you hate the season that had Hank Scorpio in it?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ah, yeah the hank scorpio season is still great. I'm not sure what episodes belong in what season.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I didn't go through the entire thread yet, so if this has been mentioned it deserves to be mentioned again.

Dead Like Me

The movie, Life After Death, is being released on DVD Feb 17 and they're releasing the complete collection+movie in one box set for $69.99 (Amazon has it on sale for $47.99). Great series, created by the same guy who created Pushing Daisies (actually shares quite a few elements) and some other great series.

Invisible on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ah, yeah the hank scorpio season is still great. I'm not sure what episodes belong in what season.

Just remember it was still doing pretty good around 2000. So your talking around 10 seasons of good (although frankly I think the first 1/2 are kinda shitty).

There is, of course, differing opinions on when it stopped being good enough to be worth it anymore.

shryke on
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    For me The Simpsons started going down hill in Season 9 with episodes like The Principal and the Pauper and kind of cemented that downfall in Season 10. They were still watchable, but it was like each season after that just got progressively worse.

Looking at the episode list, it's also when the Tree House of Horror episodes started getting dumb. Season 9 was OK (never really cared for Easy Bake Coven), but Season 10's was when got such "classics" as Hell Toupee and Starship Poopers.

Invisible on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Aye, it's really around that time they start making fun of how stupid their own plots are instead of, you know, having plots that aren't stupid.

There's still alot of great episodes, but looking over the list it's like "That was an awesome episode" and then "Wow, that episode was crap" and I never realised how back and forth it went in some of those seasons.

shryke on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If I go with more Simpsons, I will only go through season 9. Next up is season 5 because, come on, I'm a Beatlemaniac and the very first ep of season 5 is Homer's Barbershop Quartet, which is basically Groening's love letter to the Beatles.

The only reason I have season four is because it was a gift, otherwise I would have started at 1. I hate going out of sequence, but I figure since I already am, I'm going to get the best one (season 5) next.

Also, thanks for the recommendations I'm getting. I'll probably actually get to most of these at some point in time. This Friday I have cash for Psych season 1, Spaced complete series, and one more show. Based on this thread I'm leaning toward: Dead Like Me, Avatar, Burn Notice, and Rome. The picture with the four Flashes does make a strong point for The Big Bang Theory though.

And Malkor, I feel your pain. I want Daria on DVD but thanks to music licensing it will probably never happen. Same with The Wonder Years.

EDIT: Also, Mad Men is great so far.

UnbreakableVow on
  • ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

10 is still good, but that definately is the tipping point for me. The first few episodes into the set, I was worried I'd wasted my money.

Edit: To Stig, everything is still golden up to Season 8 at the very least. How can you hate the season that had Hank Scorpio in it?

The Hank Scorpio episode is my favorite ever. :lol:
    I also say that getting all 4 Futurama seasons is mandatory, there's really no excuse not to.

Scotty on
  • Golden LegGolden Leg Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The Muppet Show. An oldie but a goodie.

Golden Leg on
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Horatio Hornblower. It's a collection of 8 TV Movies that A&E did. Really excellent production values, great acting all around, and really just a lot of fun. Plus, Apollo from BSG plays a midshipman.

Alecthar on
    edited January 2009
    And Malkor, I feel your pain. I want Daria on DVD but thanks to music licensing it will probably never happen. Same with The Wonder Years.
    That's also what happened to Mission Hill. The DVDs were released too long after the show was made and they couldn't afford to get the licenses back, so they had to replace all the great music in the show with generic stock stuff, even the theme song, which was an instrumental of Cake's "Italian Leather Sofa". It sucks a lot of soul out of one of the funniest and most heartfelt cartoons ever made.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
    edited January 2009
    So did anyone actually see this Dead Like Me movie premiere? Is it any good?

And that box set, while awesome, is kind of a rip off. Both Dead Like Me seasons are only $20 now, tops.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man I was watching Band of Brothers.

When they assault Foye(sp?) Apollo from BSG is the lieutenant who Dyke sends all over the place getting shot at and then comes back and is all SIR WHAT THE FUCK, DO SOMETHING!

He's also in a couple other episodes.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    edited January 2009
    Zampano wrote: »
    That's also what happened to Mission Hill. The DVDs were released too long after the show was made and they couldn't afford to get the licenses back, so they had to replace all the great music in the show with generic stock stuff, even the theme song, which was an instrumental of Cake's "Italian Leather Sofa". It sucks a lot of soul out of one of the funniest and most heartfelt cartoons ever made.

Oh...oh god. The Kevin Birthday episode must be absolutely ruined.

What a shame. I've almost picked up that set so many times.

Everything Oakley & Weinstein touch is pure gold though.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    These were not in your list and are all fantastic:
    The Office entire series (+ specials) and Extras (+ specials) -BBC one- were just up for like 14-20 bucks on Amazon.
    Spaced, full series also available. If you like Simon Pegg, it's a must.
    The Prisoner was the first DVD I ever bought. Full set. I imagine you could rent it for cheap it is only like 13 episodes. Kind of like Twin Peaks.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
    edited January 2009
    Zampano wrote: »

Oh...oh god. The Kevin Birthday episode must be absolutely ruined.

What a shame. I've almost picked up that set so many times.

Everything Oakley & Weinstein touch is pure gold though.
    I hear ya brother. People whine about Futurama getting canceled before its time but the truth is that they had something like an 80 episode run filled with gems, and a finale that pretty effectively closes out the series. But then you throw something like Mission Hill out there which got all of 13 episodes with no closure whatsoever and it puts that in perspective.

What's worse is that Oakley and Weinstein had a 10 year story arc planned, which tracked Andy as he moves from one job to another while becoming a more and more accomplished cartoonist, until he ends up a Matt Groening level.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That is too bad... Mission Hill had the makings of greatness.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'