As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] Android Phone PAX App Isn't Coming This Year, Sorry

• VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ah... true. I can make a new thread for it! Lemme see =)

EDIT: Actually, as creator of the Android app, you should have the honor of making the OP of the thread =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2009
    Thread Split: GO!

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Thread Split: GO!

290068-elite3_super.jpg

Houn on
    edited January 2009
    KAAAAAAAHHHHHHNNNNN!!!

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited January 2009
    Thanks Moe =) Did you ever knoooowww that you're my heeeeeerooooooooooo =)

VThornheart on
    edited January 2009
    In conversation of a more on-topic nature, I've got a pretty good handle on Python now, enough that I can flip through docs to find specific built-ins to do things more efficiently, so my current "learning" goalposts are:

1. Write a CLI Script that I can pass an IP/Subnet into and it will return the network range of that subnet. (This is to prove to myself I know what I'm doing. Lots of binary math, I'm thinking. Also, it would be useful for my job anyway.)

2. Get a basic framework up that uses the Google App DB to Fetch and Store info via basic RESTful calls over HTTP.

Once those are completed, I'll be ready to start really building backend. Shouldn't be too complicated, I'm thinking.

Houn on
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Add to that learning how to use Django in in the App Engine framework.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
    edited January 2009
    Ah, true.

My hopes that I'd get on learning a bunch today got flushed a bit when I ended up spending all day on a wild goose chase with my friends. Hoping to get back to it this week =)

VThornheart on
    edited January 2009
    Tangental, but I'd say my day spent learning python went rather well overall.

http://digitalarcanum.net/python/netcalc.py

Not done yet, but it's functional. Thanks to JonXP for pointing out some of the math that eluded me. Once this is 100% complete, I'm moving on to Google Apps.

Houn on
    edited January 2009
    Hey, I just realized that I have the OP here. I guess I should update it. On a personal note, had an interview today, another tomorrow. Here's hoping.

jonxp on
    edited January 2009
    Good luck, sir. From what I've seen, you've got the skills. :D

Houn on
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    indeed!

The_Reflection on
    edited January 2009
    You can do it! Woooooot! Believe in yourself, and remember we believe in you! Rock it! =)

In other Android-related news, I borked my computer badly. Very badly. And apparently I haven't backed up my information in at least a year, because I lost all of my registration keys that I had created a little database to store and everything (and which I can't find on any of my backup CDs). I may be out of commission for a little bit while I try to either get Windows back on the system or get used to Linux enough that I just switch over.

The latter may be more practical, because I threw out all of my hard copies of registration keys when I made that stupid database. Ugh. =)

Anyways though, I'm cheering for you Jon! Let us know how it goes!

VThornheart on
    edited January 2009
    Man, I do all my non-windows development in Linux. It's just so much easier to get everything set up that way. If you have any questions let me know.

jonxp on
    edited January 2009
    Okay, question #1...

... how do I get my wireless card working? I can't figure it out, and I seem to be in a catch-22.

You see, I threw Kubuntu on the system, which apparently uses "Network Manager" to set up wifi access. It sees that I HAVE a wifi card, but it gave it some generic driver... and it seems to not do any of the following:

1) Detect any wifi networks
    2) Save any of my settings (My WPA passcode, for example... it garbles it when I hit Save, and when I check/uncheck options they're no longer checked/unchecked when I edit it again, leading me to believe that it's not saving them)
    3) Work

I've been reading up, and it sounds like people think this Network Manager sucks, and to try Wicd. But that's where I'm stuck. I need internet access to get that I believe. I can pull a wire over to my machine which should get me access, but I can't do that until the end of the workday... so if Wicd doesn't work, I'll let you know. =)

So how did the interview today go, by the way? Let us know!

VThornheart on
    edited January 2009
    I found Kubuntu to be too bulky and a few programs were a little buggy. And yes, the network manager sucks. I made the switch to Xubuntu some time ago.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited January 2009
    Xubuntu? Hmm... I may switch then while there's still really nothing on the system. KDE looks so pretty... I was looking at Gnome and KDE, and KDE had this visual appeal that it felt like Gnome was lacking... but I'd not even looked at Xubuntu. And I agree, KDE's been a bit... wonky as I've been playing with it today. I'm going to have to read into Xubuntu. =)

Oh, and should I go with 8.04 or 8.10? I grabbed 8.10 before, but I just read that the .10's are actually experimental builds.

VThornheart on
    edited January 2009
    Protip: You can run KDE/Gnome/Whatever on any flavor of Linux.

Also, Fluxbox is > You.

Houn on
    edited January 2009
    Xubuntu? Hmm... I may switch then while there's still really nothing on the system. KDE looks so pretty... I was looking at Gnome and KDE, and KDE had this visual appeal that it felt like Gnome was lacking... but I'd not even looked at Xubuntu. And I agree, KDE's been a bit... wonky as I've been playing with it today. I'm going to have to read into Xubuntu. =)

Oh, and should I go with 8.04 or 8.10? I grabbed 8.10 before, but I just read that the .10's are actually experimental builds.

Go with Ubuntu. It is the "Mainline" distro, and most of the help, support, and programming work goes in to it. Yes it is GNOME based, and GNOME is not "pretty", however KDE4 so far is very pretty...and that's about it. GNOME and its utilities are mature and work, which is generally your first worry. Xubuntu is getting a little bare bones for a new user, so I don't necessarily suggest it (but I do like it for lightweight installs).

jonxp on
    edited January 2009
    ...and you can install KDE on Ubuntu if you really want to anyway.

"apt-get install kde", I'd bet.

Houn on
    edited January 2009
    Houn wrote: »

Which basically installs Kubuntu. Each of the *Ubuntu flavors has its own set of utilities and best practices (generally tied to the particular shell used). While it's fine to move out of that, it's generally best to not start off that way.

And it still doesn't make KDE4 any better to use.

jonxp on
    edited January 2009
    jonxp wrote: »

Which basically installs Kubuntu. Each of the *Ubuntu flavors has its own set of utilities and best practices (generally tied to the particular shell used). While it's fine to move out of that, it's generally best to not start off that way.

If the *buntus are that linked to their DEs, then forget them. Give me an Arch or a Gentoo any day. :D

Houn on
    edited January 2009
    I have to admit, there's a lot of weird and random glitches with KDE 4. I did get wifi to work last night (yay!) but only after I plugged in a wired connection and grabbed wicd. But, with this knowledge, I may redo it one more time and go back to regular Ubuntu, and then throw KDE on later as you guys mentioned.

VThornheart on
    edited January 2009
    Don't use KDE right now. Weird glitches are all you'll get. It has poor graphical performance and is missing a lot of features. These are acknowledged issues with KDE4 that are going to be addressed in the future. Just go with GNOME and have something that works.

jonxp on
  • KyoutekiKyouteki Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hi guys, very interesting project you're all working on! If you guys remember, I did PAXScheduler last year (http://paxscheduler.com/2008/). I'd love to work with you guys...my plan was to have an XML backend exposed for the scheduler so I could have an iPhone/Palm Pre/Android app...and I hate to duplicate work. It'd be great to work with you guys!

Kyouteki on
    edited February 2009
    Oh! I didn't remember the PAX Scheduler, how did I miss that? =( It looks like it was a neat app! =)

Aye, send a message to JonXP, he's fearless leader for this particular project =)

VThornheart on
    edited February 2009
    I remember the PAX scheduler and would be THRILLED to have you work with us, or at least open an API up. I was hoping you'd wander by and see this so we could work together.

jonxp on
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh! I didn't remember the PAX Scheduler, how did I miss that? =( It looks like it was a neat app! =)

Aye, send a message to JonXP, he's fearless leader for this particular project =)
    he is also the FEARED leader of this project, we all cower before him

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    jonxp wrote: »

If the *buntus are that linked to their DEs, then forget them. Give me an Arch or a Gentoo any day. :D

^5. I just graduated from Kubuntu to Arch with Openbox (no DE). Holy shit that crap is fast. I'm trying to keep all my apps as dependantless and GTK as possible.

redhalo on
    edited February 2009
    How did I miss the PAXScheduler? I totally missed it somehow in the chaos of everything. It's neat! =)

VThornheart on
    edited February 2009
    OK time to make a little bit of a plan. How does month long cycles work for everyone? This give a week to propose a feature, a week to receive comments and stabilize your proposal, and then two weeks to implement it, with bug testing ongoing. Or more importantly, at least two weekends of development time.

As an example, I'll say "I'm going to make the dice rolling app". Week One I detail the features in the document, Week Two everyone says "No, use a d20, you fool!" and I agree, then I spend the rest of the time developing it. After I'm done, i choose a new feature to work on.

Here is the list of babies we probably need to pick from for this first iteration or two:
    • Create a standard REST interface and standard XML serialization for objects.
    • Create the HTML version of the PAX App site (it does not need to be functional) showing a login page and portal
    • Create Backend for the Wall
    • Create Backend for Countdown Milestones
    • Work with Kyouteki (or Kyouteki can do this himself) to figure out the scheduler interface.

Ongoing items (these will always be accepted):
    • Distributed Tournament mini-games
    • Documentation
    • Feature Definition (narrow the scope of broadly defined features)

We have a lot of cooks for such a small project, so feel free to break ideas down to smaller tasks and ask for help. We're not in any kind of time crunch, but the sooner code gets committed, the sooner we can start complaining about bugs.

Anyone with Java or Python experience is welcome to join us. Anyone who has general development experience who wants to learn is also welcome. I plan to make the development process as open as possible, however it will likely be closed code for the first few iterations, as there is no way to test the security of the application without a live deployment.

I would like to schedule a meeting for late Friday night if possible. I was thinking of using either Skype or dimdim. Tentative time: 9pm Eastern. I need feedback on that.

jonxp on
    edited February 2009
    9pm Eastern is 6pm Pacific, meaning I'm likely just walking in the door, and/or dinner is on the table. An hour later would be much easier.

Houn on
    edited February 2009
    yeah i'm fine with 9 or 10 or whatever, doesn't matter to me either way

i'm still on the fence about what my preferred way to go about this would be, django or webapp or what, there's a lot to consider and i'm also not all that used to doing MVC from within Python so i'm not sure what the preferred way to lay stuff out is codewise....hopefully somebody else has a better grasp

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
    edited February 2009
    Hmm, I just thought of something... the nature of RESTful web services allows for an easy way to display to humans and machines at once... but in order to take advantage of that, we need to already have the design of the RESTful interface figured out, and then build the HTML frontend to it afterwords.

So maybe instead of working on the HTML frontend, I should work on solidifying what the RESTful interface will look like (if no one's doing that already?). At least having a design provides a good start.

VThornheart on
    edited February 2009
    I also can't meet on Mondays, Wednesdays, or Fridays sadly (because I'll be over at my friends' office =( ). But I can do Tuesdays/Thursdays after 6pm and weekends (Sunday anytime, or Saturday before like noon or after 10 or 11pm).

VThornheart on
    edited February 2009
    Hmm, I just thought of something... the nature of RESTful web services allows for an easy way to display to humans and machines at once... but in order to take advantage of that, we need to already have the design of the RESTful interface figured out, and then build the HTML frontend to it afterwords.

So maybe instead of working on the HTML frontend, I should work on solidifying what the RESTful interface will look like (if no one's doing that already?). At least having a design provides a good start.
    I'm SORT OF working on that but I would be open to any and all help you could possibly provide...haha

The link design we're leaning towards (unless anyone has objections) is:

site.com/component/{id}.{format} (where format is html,xml,json, etc). This would get a single record using the id, and display it using the given format.

If you wanted to update that you'd POST/PUT to the same link, and it would return the new data in the given format.

But, as far as how we'll accomplish this on the backend I'm still unsure. We could use Django and rewrite urls fairly easily. As I said above, I really haven't done much MVC stuff, especially in Python, so I may be behind on how to set it up best behind the scenes.

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
    edited February 2009
    OK, how does Saturday, 10pm, sound?

jonxp on
    edited February 2009
    10pm E is fine by me.

Houn on
    edited February 2009
    Aye, Django should serve our purposes well for this I believe. The format you propose seems reasonable to me, I've got no complaints =)

As far as what "components" there are, are we talking things like:

* Comments (for the wall)
    * Users (for editing user info)
    ... What else? Hmm.

I guess we can talk about that at the meeting. 10pm EST on Saturday sounds good to me =)

VThornheart on
    edited February 2009
    Alright, 10 Eastern Saturday night. Let's meet in IRC Slashnet/#paforums_paxapp initially, and then set up a proper meeting from there. Everyone (including non-devs) are welcome. I'm going to invite the iPhone guy over as well.

jonxp on
This discussion has been closed.