As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I can't believe squidbunny is back

squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Artist's Corner
Been awhile.

Trying to start comicking again. Off to a slow start; this is the very beginning of an introductory sequence to Fearsome Critters (Ray's actual mythos, for the two or so of you who remember me from the BT).

....Hi, BTW.

0101.jpg

0102.jpg

0103.jpg

header_image_sm.jpg
squidbunny on

• erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Delicious!

erisian pope on
  • RavenshadowRavenshadow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    thats adorable squid

I really like the colors too.

Ravenshadow on
  • JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yes, the colors are the really fantastic part. Something about the way you did a few of the panels though wasn't working for me, mostly the ones where the smaller panels were floating in a larger one like the lower half of page one... but that could be because I am completely exhausted and have recently been perusing mangas...
    Oh and panel... 8 I guess? Im never too clear on what exactly constitues a panel, but the one where he is plucking the button off the jacket. It reads weird. I eventually realized that the black stuff at the top of the face are his eyes deep in shadow or w/e, but it looked like hair at first which made it seem like his face was disappearing weirdly behind the action.. I dunno just looked funny, maybe if you hinted at his eyes within the darkness or just lightened it up a bit? Could just be me though :D

JohnTWM on
  • LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fantastic. I dig the colors and the draftsmanship. I didn't find anything wrong with the panel layout...seems pretty consistent to me, and I do dig inset panels in the right place.

JohnTWM: It's a visual trope used in anime a lot (the dark shadowed out eyes), I think it's just a matter of visual vocabulary and taste.

Lalilulelo on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hello for you.

I usually hate it when people don't use black bars with white gutter space, but you've done well without it here. It's easy to tell the panels apart from each other.

I'm not wild about the font, but it fits well with the style.

NibCrom on
  • HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What is that clearly deranged madman doing with a child in an elephant suit?

I like the art, especially your selective use of 4th wall breaks. The only thing I don't particularly like is the eye differentiation on the male character. It constantly communicates psychotic to me, which while appropriate on some frames, kind of makes the whole thing feel slightly awkward.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Fuzzy ModemFuzzy Modem Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wonderfull! I feel warm and snuggly, yet hip and triumphant. Well done!

Fuzzy Modem on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    A+ would d'aww again

MKR on
  • crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    @Heartlash:
    I dunno, I thought it was kind of a sweet parallel with the guy's eye and Lamuel's new one, especially in p. 2 panel 3. And I didn't even notice the guy's eye until that panel. I think if there's any part where it seems out of place at all (and that's going back and looking specifically for out-of-place), it'd be p. 2 panel 5. I quite liked it myself.

crawdaddio on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I can't believe Squidbunny is back.

I can believe you brought some rad pages with you however.

earthwormadam on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh shit yes a new page!

Spectre-x on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There's nothing I don't love about this.

Mustang on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    All awesome, all the time.

desperaterobots on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    All awesome, all the time.

She should get that copyright'd

Prospicience on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Love the shades of purple used.

winter_combat_knight on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Holy fuck how did I not see this?

Squidbunny's back! Hi Squidbunny! I like your new arts. You really ought to try and publish everything you do.

Is that a Floyd lyric in the first panel?

Tam on
  • JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Lalilulelo wrote: »
    Fantastic. I dig the colors and the draftsmanship. I didn't find anything wrong with the panel layout...seems pretty consistent to me, and I do dig inset panels in the right place.

JohnTWM: It's a visual trope used in anime a lot (the dark shadowed out eyes), I think it's just a matter of visual vocabulary and taste.

No, I know that, I am familiar with the technique, which is how I figured out what it was in the end, but it really wasn't reading well last night when I wrote that. Just something about it doesn't quite work, but it isn't a huge deal.

JohnTWM on
  • AllanAllan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I love these a lot.

The fourth (I think) panel in the first strip reminds me a BIT too much of Invader Zim, but everything else is ace.

Allan on
    banndd1av6.gifbannerdd2or5.gif
  • squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hey wow. Thanks, everyone!

@JohnTWM - I pretty much agree about the eyes in that panel. They ended up how they are now because they were initially defined, but as low-contrast, pupilless orbs because I was really failing at bringing forward the whole button action, there, and they just looked distractingly creepy. So I blacked them out. Now they're distractingly dark and weighty. That whole panel bugs me, still, but I eventually chose to move forward rather than noodle around with it.

@Heartlash - Ray (the dude) is sort of an off-kilter and slightly unstable character, so I've always drawn him in some state of eye mismatch. It is possibly too exaggerated here, for the action at hand, though, yeah. I was perhaps overcompensating for the fact that these pages will probably be the first time most people are seeing the character and without them he just reads as really nice to his sister. And yes, the parallel with Lamuel's eyes is intentional.

@Tam - It's actually a Manic Street Preachers lyric. I'm such a disappointment!

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg