As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] will always be [chat]!

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    I dunno the GOP's bullshit with the stimulus sure isn't making me think they are putting country first. Politics the world over is stupid right now.

The EU parliament made a statement that they "recommend that the trial against The Pirate Bay result in a conviction".

WHAT THE FLYING FUCK

The trial hasn't even started yet! And they're suggesting it should result in a conviction, no matter what! AAAAH

It's time to leave the EU.

Echo on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    Okay. I cannot find the words to describe this latest example of the complete and utter corruption of the EU bureaucracy.

I dunno the GOP's bullshit with the stimulus sure isn't making me think they are putting country first. Politics the world over is stupid right now.

i don't see any stimulus package.... oh you mean the 'hey lets put all of our projects on one bill and try to pass it' package

yeah, stupid GOP.

Dunadan019 on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

The EU parliament made a statement that they "recommend that the trial against The Pirate Bay result in a conviction".

WHAT THE FLYING FUCK

The trial hasn't even started yet! And they're suggesting it should result in a conviction, no matter what! AAAAH

It's time to leave the EU.

Wow and I thought the US courts sucked. So basically a government entity told a court how it should find?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2009
    Wow and I thought the US courts sucked. So basically a government entity told a court how it should find?

Yes. And this is so goddamn illegal under the Swedish constitution if it had been a Swedish official/entity that said it. The separation of executive and legislative branch is there for a reason.

Echo on
    edited January 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    Okay. I cannot find the words to describe this latest example of the complete and utter corruption of the EU bureaucracy.

i don't see any stimulus package.... oh you mean the 'hey lets put all of our projects on one bill and try to pass it' package

yeah, stupid GOP.

Sorry doing something is better than nothing and voting along party lines when the president was specifically pushing compromise and gave up some stuff is stupid. Especially since the country backs this plan.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2009

Yes. And this is so goddamn illegal under the Swedish constitution if it had been a Swedish official/entity that said it. The separation of executive and legislative branch is there for a reason.

I've heard ooky things about the EU before, it sounds like a good idea that really hasn't been so hot as of late.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

yeah, stupid GOP.

Sorry doing something is better than nothing and voting along party lines when the president was specifically pushing compromise and gave up some stuff is stupid. Especially since the country backs this plan.

and the GOP, instead fo coming up with new ideas, is pushing the same crap that already didn't work last time.

nexuscrawler on
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I've heard ooky things about the EU before, it sounds like a good idea that really hasn't been so hot as of late.

I don't keep up the TPB, but I was under the impression that torrenting was legal in Sweedan.

DeShadowC on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    God fuckity damn. My supervisor's weird stance of not going to conferences without presenting bites me in the arse again. There's a French group who have come up with some alternate method for doing something I want to do, but they aren't published. All there is was a talk at a recent conference.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If we're going to stimulate the economy, stimulate the economy. Not PACs and all of that crap.

Although it's still unclear to me what makes this so much better than the last time around.

When I look at this new package all I can think of is how much it's going to suck to pay for this later.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited January 2009

It sounded like a good idea until the bureaucracy decided that its primary purpose was to serve the bureaucracy's continued existence. That, and the insane lobbying from corporate interests with slightly more than zero influence from the actual citizens.

Echo on
    edited January 2009
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    I don't keep up the TPB, but I was under the impression that torrenting was legal in Sweedan.

If searching for torrents is illegal, then so is Google. TPB doesn't host any infringing material on its servers.

Echo on
    edited January 2009

It sounded like a good idea until the bureaucracy decided that its primary purpose was to serve the bureaucracy's continued existence. That, and the insane lobbying from corporate interests with slightly more than zero influence from the actual citizens.

Yeech that sucks, so would it be best to just start it over or is the whole system shit fucked?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Bama wrote: »
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Bama wrote: »
    Damn, Mike. How about you go easy on nexus? He's under a lot of stress already.
    what
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Sorry I tried my best
    YOUR BEST AIN'T GOOD ENOUGH SON

I mean the dude's hair is falling out as it is.
    i don't understand

MikeMan on
    edited January 2009

It was my understanding that the motivation for the EU was primarily an economic one. Unifying economies and strengthening them through "banding together" and all that.

But some of the recent additions to the EU make no sense in that regard.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited January 2009
    Gooey wrote: »
    It was my understanding that the motivation for the EU was primarily an economic one. Unifying economies and strengthening them through "banding together" and all that.

But some of the recent additions to the EU make no sense in that regard.

It doesn't even make sens from an economic perspective any longer. The EU is essentially moving to a planned Soviet economy.

Echo on
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I hate mornings.

James on
    edited January 2009
    Torrents are on the way out, anyway. Usenet is coming back in a big way.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited January 2009
    If we're going to stimulate the economy, stimulate the economy. Not PACs and all of that crap.

Although it's still unclear to me what makes this so much better than the last time around.

When I look at this new package all I can think of is how much it's going to suck to pay for this later.

or atleast stop calling it a stimulus package.

Dunadan019 on
    edited January 2009

If searching for torrents is illegal, then so is Google. TPB doesn't host any infringing material on its servers.

Yeah that's basically what I was under the impression of. So how do you press charges on a person/company for not breaking the law? You can rewrite the law but until such time how do you press charges on them.

DeShadowC on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

o rly?

wait is usenet the alt.binaries business that I hated fucking using?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2009

And once big enough to get attention from lobbyists it's way easier to dismantle and push under the carpet.

Decentralized tracker-less torrents? Good luck killing that.

Echo on
    edited January 2009

o rly?

wait is usenet the alt.binaries business that I hated fucking using?

yeah

the premium newsgroup services have huge amounts of growth lately. For instance, Giganews is adding 2TB in storage a day.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited January 2009

Yeah that's basically what I was under the impression of. So how do you press charges on a person/company for not breaking the law? You can rewrite the law but until such time how do you press charges on them.

wouldn't it be aiding and abetting someone else in a crime?

especially if your site is designed for that purpose primarily? including the name of the site?

Dunadan019 on
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    James wrote: »
    I hate mornings.

I like you.

Haphazard on
    edited January 2009

wouldn't it be aiding and abetting someone else in a crime?

It depends on their laws. Remember this isn't the US.

DeShadowC on
    edited January 2009

The charges are copyright infringement and "conspiracy to commit copyright infringement" or whatever nonsense it was called.

The funny thing is that the prosecutors have zero expert witnesses on their list -- it's just various artists and music industry execs that will probably perform well-rehearsed sob stories about them horrible pirates.

Echo on
    edited January 2009

The charges are copyright infringement and "conspiracy to commit copyright infringement" or whatever nonsense it was called.

The funny thing is that the prosecutors have zero expert witnesses on their list -- it's just various artists and music industry execs that will probably perform well-rehearsed sob stories about them horrible pirates.

"Mr. X, what was your total income last year including salary bonuses etc."

Hey look the record company lost the case. :)

DeShadowC on
    edited January 2009
    God I hate recording artists, they lose nothing from these sites. Hell there are plenty of stories of people aquiring something legally after getting it illegally. And this wouldn't be an issue if they hadn't fucked everyone with CD's for so long.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2009
    God I hate recording artists, they lose nothing from these sites. Hell there are plenty of stories of people aquiring something legally after getting it illegally. And this wouldn't be an issue if they hadn't fucked everyone with CD's for so long.

The stories of them losing money after Napster went down, due to people using it to look at other bands people had in their lists.

DeShadowC on
    edited January 2009

There are more and more studies showing that people who download also buy more and go to more conserts etc. than people who don't download.

Echo on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    I want food.

ViolentChemistry on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Really quick- this is not homework, I'm graduated from college- if someone could help me find where to convert a probability from decimal form to "one in _____" form, I'd really appreciate it.

The probability is 0.000039837152942224. I need that converted. (Don't even ask why.)

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    edited January 2009

There are more and more studies showing that people who download also buy more and go to more conserts etc. than people who don't download.

Why buy a CD and only get to hear one song before buying it. Then you're stuck liking 1/15 of the product you purchased.

DeShadowC on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    God. Napster. Every time that's brought up I just go all nerd-ragey on Metallica.

YOUR BAND GOT POPULAR BY TAPE TRADING FOR FREE, WHICH YOU SUPPORTED, ASSHOLES. YOU WERE PIRATING BEFORE THE INTERNET!

Fuckers.

JustinSane07 on
    edited January 2009

Of course, it reminds me of when I used to rent games as a kid. Sure I didn't buy shitty games, but if a game was awesome I was more likely to ask for it from my parents. Same thing here give people a taste and your product is good and they will want the full thing.

And fuck sake we need reliable digital download services that use a universal standard for all mediums.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

They do run several trackers however. It's a legal grey area.

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    It's just converting a decimal to a fraction, so write it the 1/x, way. It won't make it any clearer.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited January 2009
    Have the bands that released albums for free (or rather, donation optional) released any information on how well they did? I know Radiohead did it with In Rainbows and Nine Inch Nails did it on a recent album.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
This discussion has been closed.