As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Laptop to TV: Halp! (Update, Best Buy sucks)

CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
Trying to hook my laptop to my tv so that I can watch HD videos from my laptop on my tv. The problem is that my laptop has only HDMI and VGA hookups, and the tv is about 3 years old and does not have a HDMI hookup. The tv does have S-video, as well as HD hookups and regular RWY hookups. I bought a vga cable and a vga-DVI adapter, but the DVI on the tv is different than the adapter. This is where my super amazing mspaint skills come into play:

Adapter.jpg

Now. Number 1 is the adapter I bought, Number two is the TV. You can see how #1 has the 4 pins around the longer slot, and the TV does not have those pins in the hookup. Any ideas?

I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
Crashtard on

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wrong type of cable it appears?
    277px-DVI_Connector_Types.svg.png

Seems your cable is a DVI-I and you need a DVI-D.

More info:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The DVI connector on a device is therefore given one of three names, depending on which signals it implements:

* DVI-D (digital only)
    * DVI-A (analog only)
    * DVI-I (integrated, digital & analog)

The long flat pin on a DVI-I connector is wider than the same pin on a DVI-D connector, so it is not possible to connect a male DVI-I to a female DVI-D by removing the 4 analog pins. It is possible, however, to connect a male DVI-D cable to a female DVI-I connector. Many flat panel LCD monitors have only the DVI-D connection so that a DVI-D male to DVI-D male cable will suffice when connecting the monitor to a computer's DVI-I female connector.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh snaps. I didn't realize there were different kinds of DVI. Guess I need to go back to best buy and get the right one. Thanks arc.

Crashtard on

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Best Buy doesn't have what I need. My TV has a DVI-D Dual Male on it, and my laptop has a VGA Male. I can't find a connector on the internets. Anyone know where I can get the piece I need?

Crashtard on

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What the fuck, I didn't realize there were different types of DVI either. Wow, that's... insane. Is the 2nd port compatible with every other type?

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I really shouldn't go to this page because now I'll end up buying stuff I want but don't need..

Anyhow, Monoprice has all manner of cables at super cheap prices.

Heres a HDMI to DVI if you're so inclined.

If you have the VGA to DVI-D adapter still this cable is perfect.

Monoprice is excellent since they make their own cables, I've only had one cable out of hundreds I've ordered from them have any defects, and it was quickly replaced, at their cost. Great company to deal with. Used them for years when doing custom A/V enclosures and installations.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Newegg to the rescue!
    Though it's only 6' long. Do you need longer?

12-189-051-02.jpg

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Honestly as much as I like the egg, I have 0 experience with that company and can't recommend them either way. (meaning Linkfactory, not newegg)

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Honestly as much as I like the egg, I have 0 experience with that company and can't recommend them either way. (meaning Linkfactory, not newegg)

Granted, but I couldn't find this particular cable type at Monoprice.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah based on the reviews of that cable I can't say I would buy it.

If your laptop has an HDMI port then get an HDMI to DVI cable like the one linked above.

I'm not sure VGA->DVI would even work, you'd be trying to convert analog to digital...

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It works, there are converters for it that comes with most graphics cards nowadays

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Holy smokes, thanks for all the feedback guys. That HDMI-DVI cable looks like exactly what I want. Question though; the DVI on the cable has that missing section of pins, where my tv has all the pins. Is that going to make a difference?

Crashtard on

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Here's the thing: can your TV handle VGA signals?

If yes, then DVI->VGA is the way to go. If not, the cables may all slide in to place but the picture will never come through because the TV is not looking for or trying to process the right kind of signal. A better idea is an HDMI to DVI adaptor. You're guaranteed the TV will process the signal and it stays digital the whole time (this doesn't really mean much from a functional stand point, but it makes a lot of people feel better)

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Crashtard wrote: »
    Holy smokes, thanks for all the feedback guys. That HDMI-DVI cable looks like exactly what I want. Question though; the DVI on the cable has that missing section of pins, where my tv has all the pins. Is that going to make a difference?

It will not make a difference. Your TV can accept Dual-Link DVI connections, but there is no such thing as a dual-link HDMI>DVI cable.

You could get something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186019

and then use a DVI cable if you already have one but it won't make a difference.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Sounds good to me. I'm definitely just going to grab that cable from monoprice. Thanks for everyone's help with this. The guy at best buy told me that a DVI-HDMI cable didn't exist, and I was pretty sure he was not right.

Edit: Bugger! Out of stock. Oh well, I don't need it this minute anyway, and for that price I can wait.

Crashtard on

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Crashtard wrote: »
    Sounds good to me. I'm definitely just going to grab that cable from monoprice. Thanks for everyone's help with this. The guy at best buy told me that a DVI-HDMI cable didn't exist, and I was pretty sure he was not right.

Edit: Bugger! Out of stock. Oh well, I don't need it this minute anyway, and for that price I can wait.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10231&cs_id=1023104&p_id=2661&seq=1&format=2

Basically the same thing. It will be fine as long as you don't need to run it through a wall or something.

28 AWG is fine as long as you're under 5 meters. Any longer and you should go for 24 AWG.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png