As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Games that hate you...

FishdertFishdert Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Games and Technology
Alright, what are some games that are so terribly designed at certain difficulties (or the only difficulty there is, 0_o) that they feel like you are hitting a brick wall while playing them?

I would say... Jak II. That game was terrible with it's insane difficulty spikes. Then, when I finally beat it and got all those Precursor Orbs, Heroic was practically a kick in the face.

Also, MGS3's European Extreme (or even regular Extreme) was masochistic. Considering that the shooting was fundamentally flawed anyways, bosses were near impossible to beat and most weapons would take multiple shots to kill enemies.

And yes, this thread will probably die in torrent of "L2P", but hey, it's subjective...

Fishdert on

• PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    IWBTG.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I got the feeling that Warhammer Battlemarch hated me when i played it on 360.

Yes, its a busy RTS on a console where units are in regiments that have vulnerable flanks... But on top of that you couldnt save mid-mission, or trade wargear in any convenient way (Your fighter was stuck with that Cape of Enlightenment or some crap).

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sonic The Hedgehog for PS3.

Adus on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Gears of War 2 on insane mode, by yourself.

Holy shit. It was totally not meant to be played that way.

Undead Scottsman on
  • A BearA Bear Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    DOTA, or really anything related to Warcraft 3. I like RTSs, and generally don't completely suck. But when you put a RPG in there it seems like everyone else on earth can manage it better than I.

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    N+ can get really damn hard.

LewieP on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ghosts 'n Goblins hates you and your mom.

GungHo on
  • Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Guitar Hero On Tour on Extreme.

But I actually think, it's really just a ploy to drive DS sales. You damage the touchscreens so badly that you just have to buy a new one, after throwing the old one into the corner in anger. ;)

Joe Dizzy on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    While they aren't really 'hard' games and I always prevail, I always get the feeling that console tactics games hate me. I'm talking games like Final Fantasy Tactics, Valkyria Chronicles, etc.

Again, they're not really hard overall, but I feel like they hate me because the computer can make the most ridiculous maneuvers with the lowest chance of success and seem to succeed every time. Meanwhile it's the opposite for me.

For example, in FFT it would give you your percent to hit before you confirm an attack. I would seem to miss a LOT when I'd have 85%+chance to hit, meanwhile the enemy could launch an attack that has a 12% chance to hit and get me 2-3 times in a row.

Or in valkyria chronicles where an enemy lancer would pick off my scout with a rocket from 100+ feet away (this happens a LOT). But these type of things always seem to happen at the worst possible time.

I come away thinking 'man, this game hates me.'

Dissociater on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    X-COM likes me.

Until the Chrysalids come out.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • StraythStrayth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah again not "hard" games by any circumstances, but I seem to have the most trouble with, just due to (bad) luck or my play style not being conducive to success:

Company of Heroes
    I seem to catch a lot more pathing AI issues than other people, my vehicles suffering the worst. I don't even move them in difficult areas, but it ends up leaving my units separated and exposed. I still love that game though.
    Joan d' Arc
    This PSP hit struck me as pretty cute and even a little fun, except that I kept smashing myself against difficulty walls and suffering an unusually high number of critical hits. Yes, I kept my armor updated and my skills trained up, and it was still a shut-down. Just plain old bad luck. I'm still into it, just more in a masochistic sense.
    Counter-Strike: Day of Defeat
    Yes, Day of Defeat only. I'm normally competent at FPSes, ranging from middle to high rankings depending on which game it is. Except CS: DoD. No, see, in DoD I'm the team leper, and I'm pretty certain everyone gets a big {SHOOT ME NOW} symbol on their HUD maps. I can't say whether it's a lack of skill or bad luck. I'd say skill but, again, I'm pretty good at other shooters.
    Poker
    Yeah, not computer-specific, but I am awful, awful, awful at Poker. I can't bluff, I can never catch a break with the cards (in spite of practice and a proficient knowledge of probability), and no matter how much Kenny Rogers might play in Winamp, I do not know when to fold, walk away, nor run.
    Monk in D&D 3/3.5 Edition
    I've tried it twice; the first time I died to skeletons. Yeah. You know. CR 1/2 Skeletons. The second time I died to what turned out to be a level 2 rogue. I've been playing D&D in some edition or another since I was 8 (about 17 years ago), but the Monk class in third edition is not my friend. Note: this does extend to Neverwinter Nights, and Neverwinter Nights 2. It's not just the tabletop game.

I can probably think of more, but those are games that, despite any experience or skill level, seem to hate me. These are different than what I consider to be hard games because I can either tell that it's not just bad luck, or I know a lot of other folks who have the exact same trouble.

Strayth on
    That's right.
  • SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Street Fighter II (any version) on Hard difficulties is pretty insane, but I believe that's globally accepted.

Snare on
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Snare wrote: »
    Street Fighter II (any version) on Hard difficulties is pretty insane, but I believe that's globally accepted.

Street Fighter against the computer is pointless, anyway. God invented the internet for SSF2T: HDR.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think in a previous life I slept with F-Zero GX's wife.

The_Scarab on
    edited January 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    I think in a previous life I slept with F-Zero GX's wife.

This. I rented this a few years ago, and couldn't get past the very first race in story mode. I consider myself a pretty skilled gamer, but fuck that.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Battletoads.....that is all.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    edited January 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Battletoads.....that is all.

See, I got to the final level of BT...but F-Zero GX? Fuck that.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega

• DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Gears of War 2 on insane mode, by yourself.

Holy shit. It was totally not meant to be played that way.

Seriously. It took me a million tries just to kill the locust that drives the hijacked rig. My rig was pushed off the cliff so very often.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This. I rented this a few years ago, and couldn't get past the very first race in story mode. I consider myself a pretty skilled gamer, but fuck that.
    The very first race? The one where you just drive around a simple circular track and pick up capsules? That one?

Dude.

Now, if you couldn't beat the second chapter, then... OK. You really need to figure out the trick for that one, but the first?

Anyways...

Dawn of War hates me. I want to turtle. I just want to sit in my magnificent base and slowly build up the most awesome force ever. It's not the most competitive way to play, I know, but I just like building up pretty bases. And in most RTS's I can get away with it. Not so in DoW, however, oh no. The constant scouting and attacking often leads to me wiping out the enemy before my carefully planned base is even halfway off the ground.

WotanAnubis on
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh god, Jak II. Don't remind me. That game had the most absurd difficulty spikes ever. Plus, it was just an amalgamation of the top 10 games of the time, but done poorly. Tony Hawk? Check. Grand Theft Auto? Check. Ratchet & Clank? Check. If Guitar Hero had come out back then, I'm sure they'd have shoehorned that in there too.

I mean tossing in some free world roaming shit is all well and good. But don't make all the vehicles control like they are on ice, and then have these absurd multipart missions with no checkpoints. At least in GTA you could SKIP some of the missions that were too hard or obnoxious.

They took a delightful little platformer and made a right cock up of it.

Yeah.

Jak II got under my skin a little bit.

Namrok on
    edited January 2009
    Jak and Daxter was awesome...then they went and ruined the series with 2, 3, and X.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    deus ex/system shock 2. i can never play these games due to a combination of 'just not getting it' and hatred.

i dunno. im not pro or anything but i do have skills but these games just dont want me to play them

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Jak and Daxter was awesome...then they went and ruined the series with 2, 3, and X.

I still have the whole series.

I've only ever replayed the first one.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Bill CosbyBill Cosby Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Steel Battalion, I mean its so awesome and I want to be good at it but with a 42 button controller and the most ridiculous difficulty I still haven't managed to get past the 6th level since I got it 5 or 6 years ago.

Bill Cosby on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Bill Cosby wrote: »
    Steel Battalion, I mean its so awesome and I want to be good at it but with a 42 button controller and the most ridiculous difficulty I still haven't managed to get past the 6th level since I got it 5 or 6 years ago.

I can't even get past the second level. That shit is intimidating.

Renzo on
    edited January 2009
    I remember hating Raiders of the Lost Arc for the Atari 2600...that game was filled with so many random items that served no purpose that it was near impossible to know what you needed to do at any given time. :x

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The only recent game that has infuriated me was the endboss of Metroid Prime 2. I must have played that about 14 times. I was shaking when I finally beat it and had something like 30 health left. Man, fuck that noise. I'll likely never play through the game again because of that.

Prime 3 made up for it, though.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
    edited January 2009
    I loved the Ing Queen, that boss fight was fantastic. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Yeah, that fight was fantastic.

The fight AFTER it was a bitch-fest.

You must have blotted it out of your memory. I can't blame you.

Namrok on
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Black & White 2 comes to mind. Its resolutely refuses to work on any computer I've ever owned regardless of how above the recommended spec the computer is. Fucking game hates me even though I've shown it nothing but love. D:

Final fantasies 7, 8, 9 and 10 I failed to complete all of them because I run in to a brick wall of difficulty before the final boss and I give in. In fact until recently I'd never completed a final fantasy game in my life (finally beat 12!).

Dragon Quest - Journey of the Cursed King, never have I found myself so incompatible with a game. The enemies get stronger with you so as I played the game it felt like I was getting steadily weaker and weaker until I couldn't continue.

Casual on
    edited January 2009
    Namrok wrote: »

Yea, Dark Samus was a monster to beat. She wouldn't have been so bad if not for the fact that she is right after the Ing Queen. But yea, a monster of a fight that does much damage to you. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • RucioRucio Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, Command and Conquer hates me. No matter what I do I always reach an impossible level within the first three. I do just fine in Company of Heroes...

Rucio on
  • CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

At least they gave you a checkpoint in between the two - they wernt that cruel.

I never really understand the hate for Ing Queen, I beat her first time. Now Boost Guardian? That guy is a prick.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
    edited January 2009
    Cowbomb wrote: »

At least they gave you a checkpoint in between the two - they wernt that cruel.

I never really understand the hate for Ing Queen, I beat her first time. Now Boost Guardian? That guy is a prick.

Yup, the Boost Guardian to me was one of the worst boss fights in the history of the MP trilogy. I died at least ten times before I finally beat him.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Civ 4 hates me. Not because I suck at it, but because it prevents me from doing anything else at all that day. It is trying to ruin my life.

SirUltimos on
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ninja Gaiden II.

Hard combat? Check
    Horrible camera to artificially increase the difficulty? Check
    Randomly freezing after boss fights that you narrowly beat but haven't been able to save yet? Check

Man that game gets me mad.

Also: any roguelike.

solsovly on
  • El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I grew up playing strategy games, including card & board versions of Panzer Leader and Squad Leader amongst others. But I have trouble with RTS's in general because I'm just not, um, fast enough. By the time I think I'm doing well, the enemy is fully decked out and storming my base.

So I was terribly excited about Advance Wars: DOR for the DS. Finally, a strategy game that allows me to take my time. Guess what? I suck at it. I got stuck on the 3rd mission, which is just shy of a tutorial. I've tried several times to pick it up again, and I get whipped every time. So I inevitably go back to playing Puzzle Quest.

El Guaco on
  • ButterBeanButterBean Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Shiren the Wanderer told me it wants to kill my baby. But I don't know if that sentiment is specific to me, or if that game is just a baby killer in general practice.

ButterBean on
  • ForkesForkes Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Deathandreturnofsuperman2.jpg

This game was the hardest game I have ever beaten. I don't usually yell at games, but I was cursing the devil whore that birthed this monstrosity at the top of my lungs the entire time I was playing it. And the ending sucks.

Also, I agree with the Final Fantasy comment. I can always get to the last boss with minimal effort, only to get to a part where I can't go back and grind levels, and can't face the boss at my current level. I usually put it down for a year or so, then start it up again, thinking, this time it will be different.

It never is.

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Strayth wrote: »
    Counter-Strike: Day of Defeat
    Yes, Day of Defeat only. I'm normally competent at FPSes, ranging from middle to high rankings depending on which game it is. Except CS: DoD. No, see, in DoD I'm the team leper, and I'm pretty certain everyone gets a big {SHOOT ME NOW} symbol on their HUD maps. I can't say whether it's a lack of skill or bad luck. I'd say skill but, again, I'm pretty good at other shooters.

I've never heard about that game. Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat sure, but never Counter-Strike: Day of Defeat.

I'm pretty sure that the Cruel Brawl game mode in Super Smash Bros. Brawl hates every single living being in existence.

Peewi on