As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Prox's I'm gonna get something done thread.

PROXPROX Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Artist's Corner
GDC is coming up so ima gonna do my best. I'm putting new stuff i've done in here.

Quick marker enviros:
concept1.jpg
concept2.jpg

PROX on

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's really hard to tell what's going on in either of them, though the 2nd one seems a bit easier to figure out. Still, it only seems like you've layered shapes on top of eachother kind of randomly...if you took the very top section away (the part that actually looks like a building with trees), I'm not sure what purpose or function the rest of the enviro would have.

NightDragon on
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thanks for the critique ND. The lack of variety in my marker sketches is making it hard for me to put in any definition. I should have decided on some functionality ideas. I will put some more thought into the next ones to communicate the idea better.

edit: btw these are random shapes on top of each other randomly.I've been trying to pull stuff out of random marker scribbles.

PROX on
    edited January 2009
    Blar didn't like how this one turned out:

concept3.jpg

I gave myself a 1 hour time limit from marker sketch.

PROX on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Im impressed by the texture in the first one. You got that from markers? It looks like paint.

Kendeathwalker on
    edited January 2009
    Copics on marker paper. Then scanned and overlayed with adjustments in photoshop.

PROX on
    edited January 2009
    I am not with out critique, These lack depth mainly due to a extremely grey value structure. Just keep in mind Higher contrast pushes to the front and lower will recede.

Like this last one. Ive done a quick value adjustment to illustrate my point.

concept3.jpg

I did this at work so I did not have a tablet to make the selections clean but I think this shows what im talking about.
    Bout a 30 second adjustment.

Keyed up the saturation a bit of foreground objects and increased their contrast between the lighter and dark values.

To push things back did the opposite.

Also what helps to establish depth is to overlap foreground and background elements. when you paint or draw the foreground object its edge will sit on top of the background object helping to push it back. Hence the old paint back to front advice.

Kendeathwalker on
  • RamzaBeoulveRamzaBeoulve Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wow, I really like the first one! I love the textures, colors, everything!

RamzaBeoulve on
    nomitaidesu.png
  • ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I wish i had the balls to use markers, the fact that i cant erase mistakes scares the crap out of me. Any suggestions on getting past this? or should i just buck up and dive in

Obilex on
  • crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Obilex wrote: »
    I wish i had the balls to use markers, the fact that i cant erase mistakes scares the crap out of me. Any suggestions on getting past this? or should i just buck up and dive in

I had the same feeling with pen and ink; aside from the fact that you'll never learn without accepting that it might suck before you get the feel of it, pen and marker are good ways of building confidence in your strokes, and in developing a greater fluidity.

crawdaddio on
    edited January 2009
    Not being able to erase a mistake on a quick drawing can help you spot repeated ones. Draw permanent..teaches confidence.

Kendeathwalker on
    edited January 2009
    Thanks for pointing that out for me kendeath. MUCH APPRECIATED>

PROX on
    edited January 2009
    Your welcome

Now if you are being sarcastic...

In regards to my thrid comment ,I was just joining the conversation initiated by obliex. I think you took that the wrong way. I guess I should have just private messaged him instead of derailing your thread.

Unless you are referring to the second post I made in this thread. In that case you can kindly go and fuck yourself and I will keep my opinions to myself from now on regarding your work.
    If you arent being sarcastic.. then ignore this.

Kendeathwalker on
  • DatBoiDrewDatBoiDrew Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    those look great. im not sure what to critique on except i cant tell exactly whats what all the time. but i like the textures.

DatBoiDrew on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    DatBoiDrew.com to view my artwork!!
    edited February 2009
    Thanks for comments and critique everyone!
    Current WIP on CHOW 146 on conceptart.org:
    colorwip_chow_146.jpg

PROX on