As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Good small games for a cruise?

chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny WhoreOregonRegistered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Title pretty much says it all- going on a cruise, would like some small game ideas for 2-4 people. Tiny board games, card games, etc.

Thanks!

chaosisorder on

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Normally I'd recommend Jenga but that might not be the best idea on a boat.

Uh, Battleship is pretty fun and relatively compact. 2 people only, though.

Clint Eastwood on
  • cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Lost Cities is good for 2 people.
    Ticket to Ride and Carcasonne would be good for 2-4.

cytorak on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fluxx

Kill Dr. Lucky is brilliant, but aperantly difficult to find.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Perhaps I should list what I already know I'm bringing-

High Score
    Quiddler
    Citadels
    Munchkin
    Kill Dr. Lucky (the Cheapass version, hell's yeah!)

chaosisorder on
  • Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    gang of four
    bang (want to make friends on a cruise ship bring this game invite strangers)
    bohnazna
    apples to apples
    snorta
    pass the pigs
    incan gold

Limp moose on
  • GuffreyGuffrey Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My friends and I recently played Yahtzee Poker, and we all had a really good time. That being said, I went on a cruise for my honeymoon, and I dont think we really had any time to play games. The fact it was our honeymoon aside (:winky:), there should be tons of activies/events going on during the cruise at all hours, and you should totally check them out. But you probably already know this. And if they have a "Battle of the Sexes" game, you must check it out.

Guffrey on
  • blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I second Fluxx with all my heart. Also, Zombies is fun

blakfeld on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The travel edition of Settlers of Catan

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    how do you play yahtzee poker?

Awk on
  • supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Usually a cruise ship has games in the library to check out (although it won’t be high-end stuff like settlers).

supabeast on
    edited January 2009
    Awk wrote: »
    how do you play yahtzee poker?

You turn over a card with five dice represented on it. For instance, one of the "harder" cards we saw was five 5's. Everyone has money chips, and you bid on the right to try for the card. For our example, you may have three rolls to get all 5's, and if you do you get $1200 (every card has a different roll limit and payout). So your first roll, you roll 2 5's and other numbers. You put the 2 5's on the card, and try again with the three dice. If you end up winning, you take the reward. If you don't, you lose the money you bet, and players start bidding again to play the half completed card.

Theres a little more betting involved, but I figured that was confusing enough to get started.

Guffrey on
    edited January 2009
    And, someone mentioned the room with games. Ours had that, it was a room with some board games, card games, and books. Like it was said, the selection isn't extremely great, but if nothing else it would be a good place to take your games to play.

Guffrey on
  • SakebombSakebomb Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There was a game at PAX called "We didnt playtest this" that was pretty popular

Sakebomb on
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Scrabble travel (if the others are into that).
    Uno
    Guillotine

solsovly on
  • ElrosstElrosst Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mexican train dominos... something like 5 people can play. you can get it at target, walmart....

Elrosst on
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There's a card game called Wizard, which can be a blast. You need at least three players, but 3-4 work great.

GrimmyTOA on
  • embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Card games w/ normal decks of cards:

Euchre
    Hearts
    Golf
    Rummy
    Gin

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • illigillig Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    out of curiosity, why would you go on (and pay for) a cruise just to sit in your tiny cabin and play board games?

illig on
  • The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    illig wrote: »
    out of curiosity, why would you go on (and pay for) a cruise just to sit in your tiny cabin and play board games?

I'd kill to play a good round of Settlers in the middle of the ocean with the sun poring down. But that's just me.

I'd suggest Citadels (which you're already bringing,) Settlers Dice/Settlers Travel, Pandemic (best game of 2008 IMHO,) and maybe Scattegories (if you're into language.)

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    embrik wrote: »

Euchre
    Hearts
    Golf
    Rummy
    Gin

Euchre. Play it. It's a very fun game.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    kuhlmeye wrote: »

Euchre
    Hearts
    Golf
    Rummy
    Gin

Euchre. Play it. It's a very fun game.

Yep, that's why I listed it first. I've had some of the most enjoyable times playing Euchre with friends.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • edited January 2009
    Cribbage is fun and can be played with 2, 3 or 4, depending on who's around.

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • SoggychickenSoggychicken Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You probably won't have time to play anything you bring. Between all the activities, excursions, food, and drinking, you'lll be sleeping.

Soggychicken on
  • zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Settlers of Catan card game is indeed a blast - worth playing if you dig the original.

zhen_rogue on
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Euchre
    Hearts
    Golf
    Rummy
    Gin

Coincidentally, the Bang! cards have all the suites and values to make a full deck of cards, so if you bring Bang! then you won't need an additional deck. One of the best parts about Bang is that it's one of the few games that gets better when you add more people. I wouldn't play it with less than 4 people, though.
    It's a quick game, generally too.

Unfortunately, most of the games I think of that come in smaller boxes are card games.

Race for the Galaxy is a good small boxed card game.

I also remember the box for Puerto Rico being small in terms of board game boxes and is a fun game as well. It's a economic/victory point/grow game.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    illig wrote: »

The idea isn't to sit in our cabin, the idea is to sit in public areas with the other cuople going and have something we can invite people to play. Plus it's an 11 day cruise in Alaska. I'm sure there will be some down time.

Thanks for all the ideas :)

chaosisorder on
  • sk524sk524 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I know of a small Russian card game called Durak that me and my dad used to play. its really fun and can be played with up to 20 people.

sk524 on
    ND1-1.gif