As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Cosplay '09 [It's Over!]

runwiledrunwiled Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in PAX Archive
B]PAX is here! The Cosplayanning is at hand![/B

The Meet-up!

Friday looks to be everyone's prefered day to get together, so at 12:30 come on down to Freeway park behind the convention centre (you can't miss it, walk out the glass doors at the back of the convention centre and witness the smoker's commune) whether you're in costume or just want to have a gawk at the weirdos. If you're camera shy you may want to avoid being there, but we all know cosplayers are attention whores. Go forth and Represent.

Other Important Things!

-For those of you unable to make it in costume for Friday, there will a second Meet-Up on Saturday at the same time and place.

-In the event of unclement weather, the meeting will take place in the main foyer which is the largest space that isn't normally in use (the large area with some seats, reception desk and elevators as you walk in through the front glass doors). Be warned however that we may be asked to move on due to health and safety reasons if there are a lot of us. Hopefully that won't be a problem as the weather for PAX so far has always been good.

-Be prepared for lots of pictures

-You don't have to be dressed as a Team Fortress character to come along, they just happen to be the largest group of people representing one game.

-If you have trouble finding the meeting area, ASK! People in costume or Enforcers are prime candidates for seeking directions. Simply ask where Freeway park is.

-Be civil, safe, responsible and most of all, have a ton of fun!

=======

The Team Fortress 2 Roster:

Please PM me if you want to be added to the Roster, with username, team and class.

Red Team:
Medic: Serenity
Engineer: Evilbadman
Sniper: Evilbadman's GF
Engineer: Samons195
Soldier: Kahnor
Scout: Gerritt
Sniper: Grant

Blue Team
Scout: Farout Foolio/ Farout Foolio's GF
Engineer: Farout Foolio/ Farout Foolio's GF
Medic: MarzGurl
Spy: Ozzimo
Spy: [VictoriouS]Loon (After failing to get decent Red material)

No team/Partially decided:
Demoman or Soldier: Snapty
Engineer: Ogrebeef, because he plays for both teams! :D

=====

What this thread is about

PAX: A geek superconvention that celebrates games and gamers alike. For some reason some people like to show their love of games and immerse themselves culture by dressing up like their favourite icons. Whilst there seems to be a love/hate relationship with cosplay at PAX, I think it's safe to say that it'll continue to be present in years to come and this year will be no exceptions. To that end, here's a thread to kick-off the planning for this years event.
----

Thread Aims:
1. To spread the fact that PAX does have cosplay attendence and inform any new-comers this year that if they wish to dress up for fun, it's ok! Whilst Jerry and Mike have often publically rolled their eyes and sighed, they know that cosplay is just as much a part of the community as playing and enjoying the games themselves. Well...at least that's what Jerry said when I spoke to him at PAX last year. "I think there's a place for it, and we'd never discourage anyone," or something to that effect. My memory isn't word perfect.

2. To help those that wish to get their costume on for PAX; whether it be ideas, finding resources, construction tips or anything else that would benefit potential costumed attendees. It may seem early but some costumes, depending on how elaborate they are, can take months to put together.

3. To show that we're not entirely weird, failed drama geeks, attention whores or whatever else people think is wrong with an adult dressing up for fun. Everyone will have personal reasons for doing it, but above all else I like to think it's because the people doing it find it enjoyable and it spreads fun across the convention. I know I got a metric fuckton of pictures taken either by myself or with other attendees who wanted a photo memory, even having my image put up on newsites and being interviewed by the media. Some people seem to think it's cool and fun, even if they don't want to cosplay themeselves.

There were some wonderful costumes at PAX last year and several newsites put up pictures of their favourites. I had it in my head to dress up for PAX because I really wanted to get steeped in it and I thought others might find it cool. It's not like Disneyland or other themed attraction where you can take your picture with a mascot run by the company, PAX is just the gathering place and we bring our own fun. I hope people enjoyed the pictures they took, and even though I couldn't go 10 feet without a photo op, I never got tired of it because people just thought it was so cool to see a character they liked walking around. In some ways I feel obligated to show up again this year in costume, but first and foremost I want to for myself.

Unfortunately I had more pictures taken of me than I took myself (I didn't take any), so I feel rather ashamed that I couldn't start a thread with wonderful images of Penny Arcadians in full get-up. Here's another link to Kotaku's coverage of the cosplay at PAX. There were plenty more examples but it provides an idea of what we're all about.

----

Things this thread is not:
1. An oppurtunity to discourage other people from dressing up because you think it's silly, moronic or you're just plain mean. Let people have their fun -- it's not hurting anyone

2. An opportunity to post far too many pictures of yourself from last years convention and generally being narcissitic or annoying. This is a thread about the coming PAX, not a reflection. We already had a thread for last year. Talk about plans, help others, make some friends. Don't be a douche. You can show a picture of yourself from last year just so people recognise who's posting and so people know what you can pull-off when you try.

----

With that being laid out, I was this weirdo:
2819854407_fc828959d1.jpg
An attempt at Naked Snake from Metal Gear Solid 3. I'll talk more about my plans for this year in another post. The thread is open to everyone else. Enjoy! Make awesomes happen!

====

Thread Updates

B]Update 11 August '09[/B Updated Team rosters. Don't forget to mention a good meet-up day and time for yourself. Looks like the park area at the back of the convention hall will be the place to be.

B]Update 3 August '09[/B Looks like Saturday will most likely be the day of Cosplay. We're still trying to iron out the details but a huge meet-up around mid-day is the plan at least. Be there or be lame!

B]Update 10 June '09[/B I've made a brief post on page 15 about why I won't be at PAX this year. This doesn't affect the thread and I still want your PMs for getting added to the roster and your posts to show us how awesome you are. Not long 'til PAX now!

B]Update 2 May '09[/B Since we seem to have a contingent of TF2 cosplayers attending, we decided to compile them all into a list. Just PM your class and team to get added to the roster. Hopefully if there's enough people some wacky hijinks will ensue.

[Update 26 March '09] We're currently exploring the idea that a meet-up of cosplayers might be a good idea, whether it be just for a photo-op or something more elaborate like a night out in full regalia so we can embarass ourselves more fully. Please feel free to make suggestions about things to do or what you'd like to do for a social gathering. A little skit or public performance is almost certainly out of the question because of health and safety regulations and the need to keep floor traffic moving.

mpmdoodsig.jpg
runwiled on

• Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    threadjack: Dude, I kept seeing you around, but I could never get my camera out fast enough. I remember seeing you, The Boss and EVA together once the entire time. God, that costume kicked so much ass. And it doesn't hurt that you look alot like David Hayter. Great outfit you have there.

Rogue_hunter on
    PlayStation Network: Rogue_hunter
    Steam: Rogue_hunter
    Games for Windows Live: Roguality
    Google+
    Twitter
  • mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    HOLY GOD DUDE I FIST POUNDED WITH YOU! :o
    000_0023.jpg

Last year we went with the guy who was dressed as Hunk from the Resident Evil games, and he had EVERYTHING of the suit just laying around with the exception of the Umbrella patches, the gas mask (he got these on ebay for ~$40 altogether which is a HUGE deal as its a real, working gas mask) and the light gun that he bought at Pink Godzilla the day before.

This year, we're both doing costumes - hers is a bit easier looking to do; and after seeing a bunch of Vault 13 escapees last year, its clear what I must do.
    fallout_12_sm.jpg

In all the old games, the jumpsuit is skintight, but Fallout 3 added textures to it, made it baggy - like a mechanics jumpsuit, almost. The yellow trim and numbers on the back stand out - almost like on a varsity jacket, but I'm not entirely sure what sort of material I'd want to use to replicate that.

In keeping with the character for Vault 77 I thankfully don't need to make a Pipboy - the one that came with the Amazon.com limited edition of Fallout 3 isn't meant for wear, for any length of time, let alone a 10-15 hour day at PAX.

Bonus wear, the thinkgeek Personal Soundtrack T-Shirt adds in, replacing various sounds with GNR and/or Enclave Radio tracks - but, if I'm skipping the Pipboy, then this wouldn't really make sense so I probably won't shell out the cash for it.

All in all, I'm not sure what the hell I'm getting myself into.

mrsnackroad on
  • crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i was thinking about pulling out my old halloween sailor jupiter costume for lulz but i think im going to pass.

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    One year behind the fad, I'll be a TF2 Engie.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You are never behind the fad. ...You could be ahead of the comeback...

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • InterjectionInterjection Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I believe the exact wording was "There's a venue for that."

Those were the buzzwords at 08 PAX it seems.

I am considering going as a TF2 Spy...with one small addition to make it funny.

Interjection on
    aka kcMasterpiece
  • specspec Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm working at getting a really pro Darth Vader costume going. I hope to have it ready for Sakuracon this year, and if so, that will mean I can and will wear it to PAX. I think my wife might go as Leia. :P

spec on
  • MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I kind of want to cosplay Talim from Soul Caliber, if I don't end up being otherwise busy at PAX. I'm not even rightly sure how to go about getting all the stuff I would need for it, though.

MeeOk on
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    spec wrote: »
    I'm working at getting a really pro Darth Vader costume going. I hope to have it ready for Sakuracon this year, and if so, that will mean I can and will wear it to PAX. I think my wife might go as Leia. :P

Maybe that will slow you down for the BYOC contest this year like dressing up as Waldo did for me.

Side note: Waldo is coming back better then before with more Objects from the first book attached to myself.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • runwiledrunwiled Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Qs23 wrote: »
    spec wrote: »

Maybe that will slow you down for the BYOC contest this year like dressing up as Waldo did for me.

Side note: Waldo is coming back better then before with more Objects from the first book attached to myself.

This is good news! I think we might have to install you as a regular fixture, though things might get a bit tense once someone starts coming as Odlaw.

I almost put an article in the original post stating that no one else bar Qs23 was ever allowed to dress as Waldo. I feel this is in the world's best interests.

runwiled on
    mpmdoodsig.jpg
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2009
    I can't imagine anybody else wanting to. In 90 seconds spent with him, I heard no less than 15 times, "I found Waldo!"

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited January 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    I can't imagine anybody else wanting to. In 90 seconds spent with him, I heard no less than 15 times, "I found Waldo!"

Same story here, only with "SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!" and people asking me to say "Crab battle."

I'm just as much to blame. I asked to take Waldo's picture <__<

runwiled on
    mpmdoodsig.jpg
    edited January 2009
    runwiled wrote: »

Same story here, only with "SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!" and people asking me to say "Crab battle."

I'm just as much to blame. I asked to take Waldo's picture <__<

You did? damn... how did miss that?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Okay, okay I admit, I'm doing a costume for the convention. Me and my twin both want to go as Rao from Okami (no it won't be THAT revealing) me as the non-possesed Rao and my twin as one of the alternate mask wearing ones that you fight. I'm think of making the mask out of that craft clay that's easy to work with, does that sound like a good idea? However I have no idea how to make the sword. I have to find some good wedges, one that go with the outfit but not kill my feet (probably only wear the red high heels for some pictures) then when I get tired I'll just change into my regular clothes.

Part of me also wants to go as Hinawa....

If worse comes to worse I'll pull out my Kai costume and go as her instead although I haven't go out in public in that one.

Curse-Ten on
  • Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

I was probably one of those people. Stupidly, I didn't take a picture of him either. There was a big crowd, so it would have made for a great shot.

Rogue_hunter on
    PlayStation Network: Rogue_hunter
    Steam: Rogue_hunter
    Games for Windows Live: Roguality
    Google+
    Twitter
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man, every time I saw Snake roaming the convention center, I wanted to run up behind you and play the codec sound from my phone, then just hope you would go hide behind something or crouch down and put your hand up to your ear.

idk... I though it would have been pretty funny.

Anyway, I have cosplay ideas, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be lacking in funds for a while, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to, especially in time for Sakura-Con.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    edited January 2009
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    Man, every time I saw Snake roaming the convention center, I wanted to run up behind you and play the codec sound from my phone, then just hope you would go hide behind something or crouch down and put your hand up to your ear.

Plenty of people did this, and every codec noise I would pretend I was getting a transmission. If they played the "!" noise I'd go run and hide. People expect these things.

God help me.

As for my own plans, I'm not sure. At one point I was going to go as Spencer from Bionic Commando, but then I thought not enough people would get it. Making the arm would have been cool though.
    If I run out of time to make anything I'd probably just go in the same costume, but that seems...wrong. I feel like I should be making an effort.

runwiled on
    mpmdoodsig.jpg
  • AzazelAzazel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just felt bad for people that made 30+ pound companion cubes and had to carry them around all day.

Azazel on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Speaking of cosplay, where's Lyanth? I haven't seen her on in a while. =( =(

Lyanth, I summon thee!

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So very tempted.

cosplaync3.jpg

Asiina on
  • emorimikuemorimiku Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm strangely compelled by this idea

emorimiku on
    <emorimiku> j0z1e ... physically emotionally or mentally?
    <j0z1e> ummmm, all three? at once?
  • tehnakkitehnakki Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Last year I was a fruit fucker for a day. I had the most fun, running about seattle as a fruit fucker and attempting to fuck the orange cabs that were about. And I had a giant plushie companion cube (and a chell costume for me), but the bag that held it got confiscated at the airport and they ended up shipping it back to me weeks later. :|

This year I want a costume that's really comfy to wear for extended periods of time (i tend to make myself really uncomfortable costumes and then just suffer for the duration of conventions). So no fruit fuckers, no Neo-shadow heartless, and definitely no Card Captor card. But as I'm often drawn to the incredibly awkward things to cosplay, I'm having trouble coming up with characters to do.

I've wanted to make a costume for Noa from Legend of Legaia for years now, but without a Vahn and Gala, I feel it would be too obscure (oh dear gods, it's over a decade old now D:) Though if I can't get away with it at PAX, where else could I possible where a costume from a decade old rpg.

tehnakki on
    Hufflepuff for lief, muthafuckers!

the 'teh' is silent: eljay ~ * ~ twitter ~ * ~ ravelry ~ * ~ last.fm
  • crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    out of interest, have there been any anime characters cosplay at pax?

i'd feel like a massive nerd but perhaps the sailor jupiter won't be so out of place

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    tehnakki wrote: »
    I've wanted to make a costume for Noa from Legend of Legaia for years now, but without a Vahn and Gala, I feel it would be too obscure (oh dear gods, it's over a decade old now D:)

...And I've been wanting to create a costume for Gala for years, too!

And Crack, there have been some Anime kids. The Phoenix Wright gang usually pops up before they go to DragonCon.

As for me, I was thinking about being one of the Fruity Oaty Bar girls for ComicCon and for here.

CaptainTapole on
  • tehnakkitehnakki Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    tehnakki wrote: »
    I've wanted to make a costume for Noa from Legend of Legaia for years now, but without a Vahn and Gala, I feel it would be too obscure (oh dear gods, it's over a decade old now D:)

...And I've been wanting to create a costume for Gala for years, too!

Hey!! :D Could I talk you into doing so for this years PAX? I'd totally be willing to make another costume you'd like (another fruity oaty girl) to keep you company :)

tehnakki on
    Hufflepuff for lief, muthafuckers!

the 'teh' is silent: eljay ~ * ~ twitter ~ * ~ ravelry ~ * ~ last.fm
    edited January 2009
    out of interest, have there been any anime characters cosplay at pax?

i'd feel like a massive nerd but perhaps the sailor jupiter won't be so out of place

I didn't see any cosplay other than that from games. That doesn't mean it wasn't there, just that I don't remember seeing it. Be forewarned.

runwiled on
    mpmdoodsig.jpg
  • Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Going to go and get materials this weekend, thought I'd get started early just so I can take my time. Plus I have to make two outfits so double the work for me, hope people will be able to recognize Rao.

Things on my list for my outfit:
    )Eight red fist sized stress balls
    )Two and a half yards, white fabirc (cotton preferebly)
    )Three yards purple fabric
    )Three (four?) yards yellow fabric.
    )One bath robe pattern (I'd have to alter it plus the old one I used got torn up and was WAY to big anyways)
    )Red Highheels

My last oufit easily cost over one hundred dollars in fabric >.> most likely going to have to get cheaper stuff. My friend recomened silky stuff! Not only is that expenisive but I always felt it made the outfit look kind of cheap.

This isn't the sewing club though...

I saw pictures of the Fruit uh...."lover"...and I was very impressed (and somewhat disturbed) and I hope to see Waldo this year ;)

Curse-Ten on
  • AndymatronAndymatron Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    runwiled wrote: »
    Coldbrew wrote: »

Plenty of people did this, and every codec noise I would pretend I was getting a transmission. If they played the "!" noise I'd go run and hide. People expect these things.

God help me.

Yea, I was one of those people <.<
    But I did give you a cigar for your troubles.

Andymatron on
    Error 404: Pants not found O_o
  • babelfishbabelfish Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    When I was little, my aunt made me an awesome Mario costume for Halloween.

Is this the year for a Mario reprise? In my four years at PAX, I've never seen a Mario costume...

babelfish on
    edited January 2009
    I've seen a bunch of marios. From fat guys to girls. Luigi too. You just haven't been looking hard enough.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited January 2009
    babelfish wrote: »
    Is this the year for a Mario reprise? In my four years at PAX, I've never seen a Mario costume...

Last year there were Wo-Mario and Wo-Luigi. ...And I think both of those girls were part of the Button Exchange.

CaptainTapole on
    edited January 2009
    Were they? I don't remember that.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited January 2009
    I just remember getting stopped by them...or I stopped them...coming out from the main hall and going somewhere.

CaptainTapole on
    edited January 2009
    Andymatron wrote: »

Yea, I was one of those people <.<
    But I did give you a cigar for your troubles.

I remember you! You made me a happy smoker :D

runwiled on
    mpmdoodsig.jpg
    edited January 2009
    I've seen a bunch of marios. From fat guys to girls. Luigi too. You just haven't been looking hard enough.

Perhaps this is the downside to spending most of my time in BYOC? :(

I'd kinda like to try a Boomer costume, but that would be a total bitch.

babelfish on
    edited January 2009

Perhaps this is the downside to spending most of my time in BYOC? :(

I'd kinda like to try a Boomer costume, but that would be a total bitch.

I spent alot of time in the BYOC and I was still dressed up as Waldo.

lan-waldo-mac-490.jpg

But I was doing that for 2 reasons. #1. Whomever was looking for me in the Assassians game, knew that they were looking for Waldo. and #2. The amount of "I FOUND WALDO!" heard dropped like a stone in the BYOC room.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
    edited February 2009
    Qs, I was the other QS in BYOC -- QuietStorm, the asshole who beat you in the Peggle mini-tournament.

I'm curious: Has anyone seen a Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail at past PAXes? I haven't.

How much trouble would I get in if I dressed up as the Black Knight, found myself a low-traffic hallway, and set up shop, telling people trying to get by, "You shall not pass"?

babelfish on
    edited February 2009
    Qs, I was the other QS in BYOC -- QuietStorm, the asshole who beat you in the Peggle mini-tournament.

I'm curious: Has anyone seen a Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail at past PAXes? I haven't.

How much trouble would I get in if I dressed up as the Black Knight, found myself a low-traffic hallway, and set up shop, telling people trying to get by, "You shall not pass"?

That sounds fine, except what at PAX is "low-traffic" ?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My roomate and I are going to be in rengarb one day, and droogs on another day (if I can find a cane and the suit)

Simple, and I'll already have most of the materials since by the time this rolls around I'll be a traveling renfairy
    renfaire1.jpg
    The Dragon puppet will be coming as well

JonnyNero on
    edited February 2009
    I curse you men for getting away with easy stuff for rengarb!

CaptainTapole on
This discussion has been closed.