As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My 360 is cracking discs (Update 4: Corporate response: )

FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
edited June 2009 in Games and Technology
A while back, I discovered that Rock Band 2 was cracked. I figured it might be just a defective disc, and have been trying to get EA to replace it.

Then, last night, I heard a weird "clack clack clack" sound from my drive while playing Halo 3.

halo3_cracked.jpg
rockband2_cracked.jpg

While it might look like I just took a shot of the same disc twice, the top one is Halo 3 and the bottom one is Rock Band 2. The same exact crack. In fact, there's a smaller crack on the opposite side that goes in the same direction on both discs. Since it's near impossible to get the crack to show up in a photo from farther away than 1 inch, I took one shot and drew where there were cracks on 3 games:

examplehand_halo3.jpg
examplehand_rb2.jpg
examplehand_fable2.jpg

I tried calling MS that same day, but it was someone in India and they were of the usual no help, denying that Xboxes are capable of breaking discs. Think I can get them to fix my Xbox and replace my discs? Now I'm afraid to put other games into the Xbox, and managed to get someone to lend me Halo 3 so I could copy it and play it for now using the cracked disc.

I know for a fact that the Xbox did it because I keep my games in their boxes. And I know for a fact that the Halo 3 did not have that gigantic crack in it before I put it in last night, and it got one right after I heard the sound. I looked at it, tried to load it again, and the crack got bigger. It also resulted in the game not being able to see it's own content:

For those of you that don't play Halo, this is only showing DLC maps and one disc map (Narrows)
onlydlcmaps.jpg

I have no campaign levels. Is this Halo 3 Home Basic?
lockedoutcampaign.jpg

Has anyone had this happen to them? What are the magic words you need to say to get them to acknowledge the problem?

FyreWulff on

• Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Don't waste your time with tech support. Go to Defcon 5 immediately and start contacting executives.

Captain K on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yep. Executive e-mail carpet bomb should do it.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Any good sites with the pertinent info or do I have to go dig them up on Microsoft's site?

At first I thought it was just a defective disc, but for the same pattern to show up on 3 discs in the course of the last month, after playing Halo 3 constantly for a year or so, sent up red flags for me.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    By the way, I had a similar problem shortly before an RRoD. I think it was heat related, not drive mechanics (expansion and contraction.) MS Replaced the console under warranty, but they would not replace my Crackdown disc despite telling me it would be mailed out on two different occasions.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dvd-readers are not powerful enough to cause cracks (think snopes had a link), but existing cracks can be expanded. But those pictures do make me go wtf o_O

How are you storing the discs?
    Have you dropped the console?
    (NailbunnyPD mentioned heat, but can the 360 get that hot so it actually expands the discs? I mean its already melted material to begin with).

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Here's the format: http://consumerist.com/consumer/how-to/how-to-launch-an-executive-email-carpet-bomb-259713.php

Send emails here: steveb@microsoft.com
    and here: billg@microsoft.com

I'm serious. These are very likely answered by secretaries or assistants, but it's better than someone for whom English isn't their first language.

A story of success here: http://consumerist.com/333807/6-months-later-reader-gets-new-xbox-after-ups-loses-his

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Jelloblimp wrote: »
    Dvd-readers are not powerful enough to cause cracks (think snopes had a link), but existing cracks can be expanded. But those pictures do make me go wtf o_O

How are you storing the discs?
    Have you dropped the console?
    (NailbunnyPD mentioned heat, but can the 360 get that hot so it actually expands the discs? I mean its already melted material to begin with).

One of the things that grab the disc could be defective, which would allow the disc to flex enough at that point to create a crack. Once the crack starts, playing it from that point on would make it worse. Or something. I'm just guessing here.

Discs are stored in their boxes. When I take a game out, it goes in a box. The 360 has never been dropped.

Also, if I try to run Rock Band 2, it makes the weirdest sound ever when it DREs, like a engine revving up over and over again, and it won't stop until you turn the Xbox off or eject (normally when a 360 DREs, the disc drive suddenly winds down and stops)

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Renzo wrote: »
    Here's the format: http://consumerist.com/consumer/how-to/how-to-launch-an-executive-email-carpet-bomb-259713.php

Send emails here: steveb@microsoft.com
    and here: billg@microsoft.com

I'm serious. These are very likely answered by secretaries or assistants, but it's better than someone for whom English isn't their first language.

A story of success here: http://consumerist.com/333807/6-months-later-reader-gets-new-xbox-after-ups-loses-his

Thanks. Will fill this out and see what happens.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It could be that the dealy that holds the disk in place is misaligned and hence puts undue stress on the disc.

Edit: sniped... yeah you said it better than I anyway.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    This is the email I'm going to send to

billg@microsoft.com, steve@microsoft.com, jallard@microsoft.com, rbach@microsoft.com, joeb@microsoft.com, khogan@microsoft.com
    Dear Sirs/Ma'ams,

I am writing to you to inform you that my Halo 3 Xbox 360 console, which I obtained around October of 2007, has begun cracking game discs that I put into it. So far, it has cracked 2 of my games, which are Halo 3 and Rock Band 2. It has begun to crack a third game, Fable 2. All 3 of these games have the same exact crack pattern, which I have detailed in this internet posting:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=8809840&postcount=1

I have tried to get your customer support line to assist me in this manner, but they either stonewall me or deny the Xbox is capable of doing this. I keep my games in their boxes, and take care of them. This has started to happen over just the past couple of weeks. I cannot get your customer support line to even consider fixing my Xbox, let alone replace my games. Losing over 180$ worth of games because my Xbox decided to break them is not a fun idea. If I cannot get them replaced, I am not going to rebuy them just to have them broken again, and I am not going to spend money on another Xbox to replace a manufacturer defect. There is also the fact that I cannot buy a new Halo Xbox 360, as they were a limited run.

As a side effect of this, I can no longer play my hundreds of Rock Band DLC tracks, and cannot buy anymore without spending 60$ to replace the Rock Band 2 disc.

I look forward to a reply on this matter,
    #########
    ########@gmail.com
    (402)###-####

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Heh, the mere fact that you bought a Halo 360 ought to catch their attention.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Captain K wrote: »
    Go to Defcon 5 immediately and start contacting executives.

FYI: Defcon 5 is absolute peace on the scale. Defcon 1 is nuclear war.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Maybe Captain K recommends peacefully contacting executives.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009

Captain K is a man of peace so I believe this to be true.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Fair enough. I've heard people misuse the defense condition scale before and now it's my sworn duty to correct it. Away!

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well, I recieved an email response...

.. in the form of it telling me that my email has been marked as spam and wasn't sent through.

What.

edit: i modified the email by removing the need for the link, maybe that triggered it. If it doesn't go through this time, we're gong to Defcon 4, emailing it to Kotaku/Consumerist.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My friend had this happen. To more than one game. Hed put it in, play it, then youd hear a sudden cracking and snapping so he freaked out and opened the tray and guess what? His disc was shattered in pieces. This does happen. Its an xbox thing. Although playing games with already existing cracks WILL make them bigger.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yep, it rejected the email as spam again.

Sending to Consumerist/Kotaku.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Fair enough. I've heard people misuse the defense condition scale before and now it's my sworn duty to correct it. Away!

you guys rule

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    For those of you wondering, this is how I know it got filtered out by their spam filters
    Final-Recipient: rfc822; jallard@microsoft.com
    Action: failed
    Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; host
    winse-6216-mail1.customer.frontbridge.com[205.248.106.64] said: 550 5.7.1
    <Your e-mail was rejected by an anti-spam content filter on gateway
    (205.248.106.64). Reasons for rejection may be: obscene language, graphics,
    or spam-like characteristics. Removing these may let the e-mail through the
    filter.> (in reply to end of DATA command)

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Clearly you shouldn't have used so much obscene language in your email.

Captain K on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    MS's filters are notoriously strict.
    Try sending a plain-text mail rather than in HTML format. Some gateways still bounce the latter.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It is plaintext.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    One of the things that grab the disc could be defective, which would allow the disc to flex enough at that point to create a crack. Once the crack starts, playing it from that point on would make it worse. Or something. I'm just guessing here.

I don't think anything grabs the disc at all. Not like those disc trays where you snap the disc on to a spindle at least. Ever bumped your 360 with it standing on end and a disc inside? It takes almost no effort at all to unseat the disc.

Without dissecting a drive, my suspicion is that a wedge shaped piece pressed through the hole and into a receiving piece on the other side of the disc. Very small amounts of pressure, just enough to grip the disc and start spinning.

xzzy on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    For those of you wondering, this is how I know it got filtered out by their spam filters
    Final-Recipient: rfc822; jallard@microsoft.com
    Action: failed
    Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; host
    winse-6216-mail1.customer.frontbridge.com[205.248.106.64] said: 550 5.7.1
    <Your e-mail was rejected by an anti-spam content filter on gateway
    (205.248.106.64). Reasons for rejection may be: obscene language, graphics,
    or spam-like characteristics. Removing these may let the e-mail through the
    filter.> (in reply to end of DATA command)

Are you sending to multiple people at once? Perhaps send the e-mails one at a time to each address?

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It would be funny if it filters "crack".

Pemulis on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hey I'm having the same problem sorta with my Halo disks. But its actually the game case thats fucking up disks.

The little nub that holds the disk is too big and puts a lot of pressure in the center hole and when you pull the disk out it requires more pull then usually needed.

This is from the Halo 3 collectors edition case and also using a Halo Xbox 360. I'm on my second disk and may have to get a third one cause I'm getting new fractures in my replacement disk.
    I don't even like Halo. Weird huh?

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    darryl7575darryl7575 Registered User new member
    edited February 2009
    I also have this trouble. I had my COD 5 cd crack a few weeks ago. I replaced it thinking maybe it was slightly cracked for a long time and had just gotten worse. However, I played last night and my new one was great. No problems at all. I got up this morning and turned on the XBOX and it wouldn't play. I removed the game and found the exact same crack. As for it being the case or anything like that. It was not removed from the XBOX and it was working fine when I trned it off last night. The only thing I can think of is heat. I did play for a rediculous amount of time last night. The unit is out in the open and not in any enclosure, so it is getting plenty of ventalation. But is it possible that it may be getting the game too hot?

darryl7575 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    No response yet. If I don't get a response in a good amount of time, I think I'll just convert my 360 collection into a Wii.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Vater5BVater5B Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This happened to my dad's launch 360 too. He got really upset, but never contacted anybody about it. Then his box RRoD'd and he got a new one so it wasn't much of an issue.

In the meantime, I would rent games and swap the damaged disc with the rented one. :| I feel kind of bad about it now, but I really wanted to finish Oblivion.

Vater5B on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    At first I read your quote as
    Reasons for rejection may be: obscene language, graphics,
    or sperm-like characteristics.

This is most likely an useless thought, but is your 360 standing or laying down?
    Vater5B wrote:
    but I really wanted to finish Oblivion.
    this is awfully cute, but you had horrible reasons. You should have been doing that with games worth your time :P

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'll never understand why game companies don't have a 'send in your disc and we'll send you a fresh one for 2.99' option on their websites.

Not that it would change FW's situation, but it should be a standard option.

Hockey Johnston on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    some do. EA does it for 20$. MS will do it for 20$, but it's like pulling teeth to get them to replace it, and that's only specific games they published.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    some do. EA does it for 20$. MS will do it for 20$, but it's like pulling teeth to get them to replace it, and that's only specific games they published.

Ya, but that's ridiculously too much money. If your disc breaks 6 months out, you're probably better off buying a used copy.

Shit like this is why people are going to want digital distribution. Your broken 200$ machine just cost you another 130$ of damaged software and your options aren't that great for getting it all taken care of. Good luck, that really sucks.

Hockey Johnston on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    No response yet. If I don't get a response in a good amount of time, I think I'll just convert my 360 collection into a Wii.

But first, inform someone in charge that you're considering this option, and that you post on a lot of internet forums.

Captain K on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    this iiiis gonna be a pretty great year for wii owners ;)

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Regarding spam filters, remove your email address and the link. Maybe include your Gamertag.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Here's hoping Kotaku runs an article about your troubles.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I already sent them it, but later tonight I'll try to reword an email that gets past the filters..

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Interesting, you're thinking about ditching the 360 for a Wii. A good choice, by the way.

I've been considering ditching $200 bucks for a 360 this very weekend.

Not that I won't continue bitching about it, but it would be nice to be able to keep up with the few games I want to play without having to borrow one every year or so.

But this problem blows. My cousins had two seperate 360's do this, losing two games each time it happend. The worst part is that by the time you notice it really chewing them up you've already lost at least one.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
This discussion has been closed.