As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mouse Guard] Spring 1152 (OOC)

Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited March 2009 in Critical Failures
Mgrpg.PNG

It's not what you fight, but what you fight for.

It is now Spring of 1152. The snows have thawed and Lockhaven has managed to survive through the harsh winter. But while the dangers of weather peel away, new threats face the Mouse Territories. This is the story of one Guard patrol group on its mission to protect Mousekind from the plethora of threats.

Needed: Four players who want to play Mouse Guard: The Mousening.

This is a Play by Post and I think I'll be using Obsidian Portal as the place to play this. My OP name is LambdaKnight, BTW.

So, who wants to play?

Premier kakos on

• Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yes, please.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't really know this game but please fill me in because I want to play.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't really know this game but please fill me in because I want to play.

why I dare say, i do believe we have been discussing this very game in a thread recently...

:)

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Count me in! Same situation as nefffffffff, I don't know much if at all about it, but it sounds interesting.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ooh! I just got the book, I'd love to be in a PbP if there's an opening.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i feel like i am your best bet for a mouse guard, kakos

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Okay. All those people who are interested, I need characters. Due to the limited space, I'll choose the four players from the four best characters I recieve. I apologise if you don't make it in. :(

http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16758&cat=0&hotseller

If you haven't already purchased the book and are interested, go there and you can get the physical book AND the PDF for immediate use.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Alright, I borrowed Arcanis' format for this, I'd like to play a tenderpaw if possible so that would mean one of the other players would have to act as my character's mentor. If no one wants to do this or it seems like a bad idea I'd have no problem converting him up to a regular guardmouse.
    Ravi is the second-born son of Tallus the archivist and Ilyn the insectrist of Sprucetuck. Growing up he took every opportunity to accompany his father to the archives, helping fetch scrolls and papers when needed. His spare time in the libraries was spent satisfying his curiosity towards the multitude of flora and fauna native to the Territories, reading the many essays and accounts available front to back. Many a night of his was spent reading by candlelight, and marveling at the adventures and intelligence of the brave mice who had written these reports.

His induction into the guard came about after an altercation between his father and an administrator over funding led him to pursue a misguided attempt to blackmail the administrator with forged records. The administrator, named Simon, won out and poisoned Ravi's career prospects in Sprucetuck. Fearing that Simon might attempt to ruin the rest of his family, Ravi fled Sprucetuck to Lockhaven, where he volunteered himself for recruitment into the Mouse Guard. He deeply regrets his actions against Simon, and would try to make amends if he thought that Simon would ever accept them. As things are now, he sporadically exchanges letters with his family, but other than that has cut his ties with Sprucetuck, preferring to pretend. for the time being, that his improprieties there never happened.

Once in Lockhaven, Ravi quickly found himself put under the tutelage of Darrick the archivist, one of the oldfurs in charge of the extensive records held by the Mouse Guard. Ravi quickly established himself as one of the quicker assistants, and was given a fair amount of leniency with the projects he pursued, often finding himself working into the wee hours on some grand reorganizing or filing job. On his rare moments off, he enjoyed exploring the area outside of Lockhaven, often with his friend, Alder the assistant cartographer in tow. The two mice had only a passing interest in each other's study, but that didn't stop Alder from trying to teach Ravi to spot and measure landmarks for traveling, and Ravi from pointing out the more interesting birds that frequented the forest to Alder.

Ravi's time spent among such great stores of mouse knowledge has instilled in him an utmost respect for the pursuit of such. He sees the advances and progress of mousekind as flowing directly from the acquisition of knowledge of their surroundings. When faced with a problem his first instinct is to observe and understand it, trusting that with understanding comes the answer to your dilemmas.

Ravi is soon set to be assigned to a Mouse Guard patrol, though nervous he feels his expertise in lore will be a definite asset in recognizing and avoiding danger. He also welcomes the chance to go beyond Lockhaven, and discover new things to record himself and add to the Guard's archives.
    Name: Ravi

Hometown: Sprucetuck (Inquisitive and Loremouse)

Fur Color: Brown

Cloak Color: No cloak

Guard rank: Tenderpaw

Parents: Tallus and Ilyn (Archivist and Insectrist)

Senior Artisan: Darrick the Archivist

Mentor: TBD (Would have to be another player)

Friend: Alder the Cartographer

Enemy: Simon the Administrator

Belief: "Knowledge is the most valuable asset one can possess"

Instinct: "When uncertain, sit quiet and observe the situation."

-Abilities-

Nature (mouse): 4 (Doesn't save for later, runs and hides, doesn't fear predators)
    Will: 2
    Health: 6

Resources 3 (Thrifty and packs carefully)

Circles 1 (Makes friends easily, committed a crime)

-Traits-

Inquisitive 1
    Nocturnal 1
    Quiet 1

-Skills-

Loremouse 4
    Archivist 3
    Insectrist 2
    Persuader 2

Survivalist 2
    Hunter 2
    Laborer 2
    (Plus two checks chosen by mentor)

-Wises-

Bird-wise (x) 2

Gear: Paper, ink, and pens in a water-proof case, a spear, a small knife

Fate: 1
    Persona: 1

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Backstory:
    Thom is a recently-promoted Guardmouse hailing from Copperwood. His parents were smiths, refining the ores from the mines and making it into tools and weapons. But his father Roland, while a skilled smith, had little business sense and rarely obtained the richer ores to work. The family usually had enough, but they remained low on the societal ladder. Thom didn't have many friends as a young mouse, and he learned quickly that he and his family weren't respected.

Thom often saw his parents eyeing the rich stores of their neighbor Silvan with envy, and when he was 15, he decided that he would turn his family's fortunes around. Late one night, he snuck into Silvan's warehouse and stole the largest chunk of ore he could carry. Walking out congratulating himself silently, he was too distracted to notice the dark shape leaning against Silvan's house, nor the cloak the figure wore.

Surprisingly, Silvan wasn't angry about the attempted theft. "No harm, no foul", the oldfur said lightly. Roland, on the other hand, was furious. His son had committed the worst crime possible in such an independent town, and had disgraced his family. "Get out, mouse", he screamed when the family was home. "You are no longer my son." Thom's mother, Elizabeth, tried to reason with him, to no avail. Thom was sent to live as a Guard apprentice to his aunt Serra, a smith in Lockhaven. He hasn't spoken to or heard from his father since.

Serra was kind to him, and treated him more as another son than an apprentice. She didn't hold Thom's crime against him, though she made sure he would never steal again. Thom took the lesson to heart, and swore to protect his integrity at all costs. He doubted he'd ever make it to the rank of Guardmouse, but he would strive to be a hard worker and as good at his craft as his parents.

Years passed. After his duties were done for the day, Thom would often spend his time with Serra's son Sloan, a guardmouse. They would go out of the city on long hikes together, pretending to stalk a frog or following a deer's tracks. Thom discovered he had a natural talent for archery, able to hit targets even more closely than his cousin.

On Thom's 18th birthday, he was quite surprised when Sloan offered to be his mentor in the Guard! He gratefully accepted, hoping that he could make a difference to the Territories and help young mice live honest lives, the way the Guardmouse in Copperwood did. And, possibly, show his father that he had changed.

Sloan was a good mentor, and stressed the importance of being familiar with the natural world. He showed Thom how the stars could be used to find your way at night, and where to find food and clean water. He would regale Thom with tales about his battles in the Weasel War, leaving Thom both quite knowledgeable about and terrified of the beasts.

Sloan also took Thom on some of his missions, introducing the tenderpaw to his patrol. Thom developed a good rapport with a patrol guard named Ivy, who taught him how to use a knife to defend himself. She also suggested his cloak color: a deep green, to match the forests he felt comfortable in.

Just two months ago, Sloan and Ivy recommended Thom for full guardmouse, and Gwendolyn inducted him. Since then, his duties have been fairly simple, such as package delivery and mediating disputes in nearby towns. They've been solo jobs, which suit his independent nature. But now that he's gotten comfortable with the job, he's ready for something a bit more difficult. He's requested a patrol assignment from Gwendolyn, and is nervously anticipating the missions she might have in store.

Stats:
    Name: Thom
    Home: Copperwood (raised)/Lockhaven (currently)
    Fur Color: Brown
    Cloak: Green
    Parents: Elizabeth and Roland, Smiths of Copperwood.
    Senior Artisan: Serra the Smith
    Mentor: Sloan (Survivalist)
    Friend: Ivy the Patrol Guard (Lockhaven)
    Enemy: Roland the Smith (Thom's father)(Copperwood)

Belief: Integrity is a Guardmouse's most valuable possession.
    Instinct: When danger approaches, observe from a distance.

-Abilities-
    Nature (mouse): 5 (Saves, stands ground, is afraid of predators, especially weasels)
    Will: 3
    Health: 5
    Resources 5 (Smiths in winter, parents are smiths, packs carefully)
    Circles 2 (Family in Guard, convicted of a crime)

-Traits-
    Independent 1
    Sharp-Eyed 1

-Skills-
    Fighter 4
    Hunter 4 (Naturally Talented)(Specialty)
    Pathfinder 2
    Survivalist 2
    Weather-Watcher 2
    Persuader 2
    Haggler 2
    Smith 3

-Wises-
    Weasel-Wise, Star-Wise

Gear: Bow, quiver of arrows, knife

Persona: 1

Is it ok to have my father as my enemy?

Haha, Marsh, we're both observers by instinct. Hopefully our other party members will be charging right in there.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    lol

copperwood guardmouse smith with a dad named jasper...

yesnomu stole my sample character

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Well, I was going to be a sciencey mouse from Sprucetuck whose parents mixed the scent barrier and who used a spear, but Marsh totally stole my idea. So, pick a different character to steal from the next guy, I guess.

Where are the sample characters? I had no idea!

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    haha it was just a joke (it's in the mouse guard discussion thread)

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ravi isn't actually too much of a proper sciencemouse even, he's got more of a naturalist bent going on.

EDIT: Spears and knives are pretty nice if you don't have a good fighter skill because you can use your Nature for Maneuver tests.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    haha it was just a joke (it's in the mouse guard discussion thread)
    Oh, I see! Well, two mice from Copperwood whose parents are smiths wouldn't be weird, we're pretty different otherwise. I'll change my dad's name, and it'll be perfect!

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Patrol Guard Henson

Home: Port Sumac
    Fur: White
    Cloak: Yellow

Parents: Paul and Abigail Evens (Insectrists)
    Senior: Erik (Insectrist)
    Mentor: Oldfur Bryant (Scout)
    Enemy: Old Guard Gerard (Fighter, Lockhaven)
    Friend: Conrad the Pirate (Fighter, Port Sumac)

Raw
    Nature: 4
    Will: 4
    Health: 4

Resources: 5
    Circles: 2 (Convicted of Mouse-murder)

Belief: "Acting blindly is worse than not acting at all."
    Instinct: "Never let an enemy predict you."
    Goal:

Skills: Cook 2, Fighter 3, Healer 3, Hunter 2, Insectrist 3, Persuader 3, Scout 6, Weather Watcher 2
    Wises: Insect-wise 2, Path-wise 2, Night-wise 2
    Traits: Tough 1, Young 1
    Gear:

Gear: 1

Henson hails from Port Sumac, where his parents reared insects of various species to aid the sailors and crews in their duties (particularly, Henson's families grew large, tough beetles that could be used to load or unload large hauls of goods onto and off of boats; they also rented or sold such beetles to travelers who would carry goods from the Port back to other cities.)

When Henson was first taken in as a Tenderpaw under a Senior Artisan, his learned affinities for insects made him a perfect candidate for tutelage under Erik, one of the Guard's most capable insectrists (word has it that Erik knows his bugs so well that he can even speak their language!)

From there, Henson was led on to study under Bryant, an Oldfur Patrol Guard who favored a calculated, mindful approach to Guard work. "Always know what you're getting into," Bryant would say. "Acting blindly is often worse than not acting at all."

Henson celebrated his acceptance in the Mouse Guard proper by taking a brief visit to Port Sumac, his home town. While there, he drank heavily with his old friends. While intoxicated, he found himself and his friend Conrad arguing with a sailor mouse. The argument led to fisticuffs, and during the brawl, Conrad stabbed the sailor mouse, who died from the wound. Henson took full responsibility for the murder, and spent three years in prison before being allowed to return to the Mouse Guard.

Since his incarceration, Henson has shown his dedication to the Guard and their ideals, forcing himself to be an example of the Guard's ideals and qualities. Still, his recklessness that night haunts him internally and externally, and the Guard Captain Gerard (long-time friend to the slain sailor) still does everything in his power to stymie Henson's progress through the guard.

Henson's friend, Conrad, has since purchased his own boat and set himself upon a life of mouse piracy, attacking other mouse ships and smuggling their goods into Port Sumac through his fences.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Haha, we're the band of mouse-criminals. Awesome.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh snap, I forgot to reduce my circles for that, too. Guess I've got Circles 1 instead of 2.

Also, every one of us so far has an instinct or belief that discourages rushing in, should be fun.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Would totally take on a certain tenderpaw criminal as my own ward if he so desired

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    That would be incredibly rad of you. :D

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Are you still accepting character applications, and at what rank do you have a dearth? ::goes to see and make a mouse::

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    No patrol leader yet.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    yeah, i'm working on one now ;o

e~ got lots done, going to bed, will prolly finish tomorrow

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    OhtheVogonityOhtheVogonity Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I would love to be a part of this, but I don't think it's in the cards at the moment.

Nonetheless, I will monitor this closely.

Best of luck you brave little mice!

OhtheVogonity on
    Oh freddled gruntbuggly...thy micturations are to me/ As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee
  • Options
    DiscoGobboDiscoGobbo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'll have my guardmouse, Chesterfield, up around lunchtime.

DiscoGobbo on
    PSN ID : DiscoGobbo.
    Warrior | Mage
  • Options
    A BearA Bear Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Judging from the level of interest in this thread, if there are enough beginners for a second run maybe a few of us could get together. Even if our first missions are just the "LTP" ones from the book.

Edit: In the meantime as I'm drawing up some fun character ideas, maybe I'll end up throwing my hat in the ring here too. There have only been three submissions currently, right?

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Chesterfield

Stats
    Name: Chesterfield
    Hometown: Port Sumac
    Fur Color: Grey, with a dash of black above his mouth.
    Cloak: Red
    Parents: Sable and Hickory, Cartographers of Port Sumac
    Senior Artisan: Reginald the Cartographer
    Mentor: Thaddius, Fighter
    Friend: Aloe, a Boat Captian (Port Sumac)
    Enemy: Darrus, Guardmouse (Lockhaven)

Belief: Always know where you’re going.
    Instinct: The Honorable way is best.

Nature: 3

Traits:
    Tough
    Graceful

Skills
    Weather Watching: 5 (specialty)
    Fighter: 5
    Survivalist: 2
    Orator: 2
    Boatmaking: 2

Wises:
    Shore-wise: 2
    Forest-wise: 2

Gear: Sword, 2 knives.
    Resources: 4
    Circles: 3

Background
    Chesterfield hails from Port Sumac. His parents, both cartographers, made a tidy living updating and selling maps of the coastlines to the numerous boat captains operating out of the town. Throughout his upbringing, Chesterfield received lengthy, impromptu lectures from his father about respect for your fellow mouse and always doing the right thing. Given the often roguish nature of Port Sumac, his father felt this was necessary. Chesterfield took every word heart, and to this day holds his sense of honor high.

As a youth, Chesterfield worked for two summers upon a merchant ship helmed by Captain Aloe. The elder mouse took Chesterfield under her wing as a navigator and taught him the intricacies of watching the wind and rain.

When he came of age, Chesterfield left home to join the Mouse Guard, his sense of honor compelling him to travel to Lockhaven and serve for the greater good of Mousekind. His apprenticeship to Reginald the Cartographer was a natural fit, and the young initiate performed admirably.

As a Tenderpaw, Chesterfield was mentored by the dour Thaddius, an oldfur focused almost solely upon combat. Through three seasons of dense training, Thaddius honed Chesterfield into a proper swordsman, with an emphasis on the agility and grace the younger mouse gained from his days upon the boats of Port Sumac. During this time, his reputation as an exceptional duelist grew, and he passed many a night in the sparing chambers, practicing his talents or engaging in friendly duels with other Tenderpaws.

There was another mouse, however, who took these friendly fights a bit too personally. Darrus was Chesterfield’s most common opponent, challenging him a dozen times and losing all but one. Perhaps it was the string of public defeats, perhaps it was Chesterfield’s resolute respect for his opponent (interpreted as veiled taunting), but a grudge built up within Darrus. The two mice were inducted as full Guardmice within days of each other, and sent their separate ways. A year later, Chesterfield senses that Darrus has not let it drop, and is concerned that Darrus’ considerable connections within the Guard may cause him trouble in the future.

DiscoGobbo on
    Warrior | Mage
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    This is what I've got so far.
    Belief
    If it's yellow let it mellow.

Instinct
    If it's brown flush it down.
    300px-718smiley.svg.png

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Hey disco, looking at chesterfield I think you may have misread some of the character creation. Specifically, when starting out you shouldn't have any skills at just one, for skills you take the amount of checks you put in them and add one, so a fighting skill with 3 checks would be "Fighting 4".

I also think only patrol leaders and tenderpaws get three traits, but I might be mistaken.

EDIT: Background looks pretty cool though.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Well, he gets to pick either Tough or Weather Sense because of being from Port Sumac.

I think Guardmice only get to choose one more in addition to that, though.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    edt~ Ok, I think I'm done. His age may change again.
    Manoliose.jpg
    Manoliose is a grey-furred Patrol Leader who wears a brown cloak, aged 38 winters. He is the son of Jonas the retired guardmouse - himself descended from a line of guardmice - and Mable the harvester, of Ivydale. In his tenderpaw days he was apprenticed to Figlia - a harvester in Lockhaven's apiaries - and his mentor was Wesley the fencer, an oldfur who has retired from the Guard to his hometown of Barkstone.

Manny's friend is his cousin Largo the haggler, a merchant in the port city of Darkwater.

His enemy is Garrick - former patrol leader. Garrick and Manoliose crossed blades during the winter war of 1149 after a heated exchange over the interpretation of a rescue mission to the crumbling town of Walnutpeck. Manoliose was bested - wounded and disarmed - but mounted a hare and struck out on his own. He managed to round up several scattered guardmice and lead them to raid several weasel patrols returning to the darkheather, rescuing dozens of mice prisoners over the course of ten days before finally turning back and falling behind the scent-border. Ever since he has carried an iconic weapon that gives him a distinct silhouette: an over sized, weasel-made two handed broadsword - several paws wide and nearly two mice long, were it not broken in half. Manoliose's original weapon - a simple sword gifted to him from Wesley - remains in Garrick's possession. Garrick is one among very few forces or individuals who can break Manoliose's calm.

Some mice have questioned whether Manny's promotion to patrol leader was fairly earned or was instead used as a method to separate him from Garrick after their widely rumored confrontation at Walnutpeck. Garrick and a few of his supporters have also been less than shy about vocalizing the theory that Manny's lineage of many generations of guardmice is the only factor that kept him in the guard, let alone take promotion.
    Ironically, all of these sentiments mirror Manoliose's inner conflict on the matter.

Belief
    Decisive action rules the day.

Instinct
    Each day, teach at least one lesson.

Goal
    no mission

Fate 1
    Persona 1

Abilities
    Will 5
    Health 4
    Nature 5
    Resources 5
    Circles 4

Traits
    Calm 1
    Hard Worker 1
    Oldfur 1

Skills
    Fighter 5
    Harvester 4
    Instructor 3
    Pathfinder 5
    Persuader 5
    Survivalist 2

Wises
    Forest-wise 2
    Hare-wise 2
    Snow-wise 2
    Tutelage-wise 2

Posessions
    broken sword (oversize, weasel-made)
    cloak, spectacles, pipe, jug
    old armor (family heirloom, has not worn since the war but the armor is kept by his father in Ivydale)

e~ Instinct is hard for me to wrap my brain around... I keep coming up with things that seem more like nervous ticks or habits, but when I try to put my mind in "what does he do when trouble shows up" mode I'm not hitting on anything worthwhile.... "uh he talks to it or cuts it into pieces."

e2~ Well, looking at all of the sample ones in the book i guess it doesn't have to be danger-specific, though most are.... I think I've got something.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    You are correct, thank you.

Changes made in original post.

DiscoGobbo on
    Warrior | Mage
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    A Bear wrote: »
    Judging from the level of interest in this thread, if there are enough beginners for a second run maybe a few of us could get together. Even if our first missions are just the "LTP" ones from the book.

Edit: In the meantime as I'm drawing up some fun character ideas, maybe I'll end up throwing my hat in the ring here too. There have only been three submissions currently, right?

Please, by all means, submit your character!

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Back by popular demand:

Bio:
    Growing up in Shaleburrow, Kole’s family held a proud tradition as being some of the best fruit harvesters in the area. Autumn after autumn their bounty would be considerable, occasionally even landing relatives into the honored annual seat within the city’s government. A considerable factor in their continued successes rested in the family’s sizable physique—a gift Kole was so lucky to have passed onto himself. An early-developing young mouse, Kole quickly stood out from his peers yet resisted the temptation to play a bully role amongst the youngsters.

Nevertheless, fights in his youth were frequent, as others sought Kole’s protection from the common harassments of childhood. Most young would-be troublemakers who ran amok in Shaleburrow took heed not to intentionally cross any friend of Kole, but one in particular, a sly blond mouse by the name of Fredric took it upon himself to frequently attempt to intimidate his peers and to outwit and embarrass Kole. A few years Kole’s senior, Fredric was not only a physical match to the mouse, but he also considered himself a more worldly and witty individual than the down-to-earth Kole and would frequently find enjoyment in the harassment of Kole and his friends. While their feud remained minor, many young local mice came to see Kole as a protector, in particular a small young mouse by the name of Serra, who was a frequent target of Fredric. A more rational and contemplative individual, Serra could often calm Kole before his determination sought the better of him. With Serra to keep Kole in check, Kole never sought active retaliation against Fredric, but more than a few times he relished his victories with perhaps one blow more than was necessary.

Blessed with a prodigious hereditary strength, Kole’s parents Joseph and Vida were pleased to see their young son take a shine to the harvesting trade, and under his Uncle Olef’s tutelage he quickly developed into a capable laborer and knowledgeable harvester. During Kole’s first year of apprenticeship he assisted Olef in achieving the second-greatest harvest of the season, second only to Fredric. Frustrated yet undaunted, Kole and Olef dedicated themselves to a year of hard labor while Fredric used his position of power to rest in relative luxury and idleness, leaving much of his harvesting duties to numerous underlings. At the next fruit harvest, Olef and Kole were certain their efforts would pay off. Unwilling to take any risks with their work, Kole volunteered to watch over their bounty overnight. Exhausted from the day’s labor, that night Kole fell asleep at his post only to be awakened in the dead of night by the sounds of mice breaking into Olef’s storehouse. In a fury Kole quickly and violently dispatched of the intruders, and sent them scattered into the night. Infuriated, Kole came to realize that a portion of Olef’s harvest had already been stolen.

The next morning, Shaleburrow awoke to find that Fredric had once more been the most valuable harvester and would again be given the councilmouse position. To Kole, this improbable victory clearly came from underhanded tactics, but at Serra’s insistence Kole relented. Knowing that it was only a matter of time until Fredric’s antagonism of Kole would result in open confrontation, Serra convinced Kole’s family to let him go abroad and train in the Mouse Guard. Olef personally recommended his brother, Garrow, to mentor Kole.

Under Garrow’s tutelage, Serra’s lessons of patience merged with military discipline and focused Kole’s skills to a sharp edge. As a skilled fighter, Kole quickly took a shine to protectorate and bodyguarding roles, often eschewing his other duties in an almost single-minded devotion. He quickly gained a reputation in the Guard as a mouse that once he was crossed he would unwaveringly and often violently find ends to the wrongdoing at hand.

Despite his intense devotion in the line of duty, Kole remained a friendly and outgoing personality and is well-received in many circles within the Guard. Willing to meet any mouse with an open mind, it is not until negative evidence is given to him will Kole undertake his now reputation-worthy level of retaliation. Outside threats or mission targets, on the other hand, receive no such chances for first appearances. Upon his full-fledged induction into the Guard, Garrow presented Kole with an orange cloak—a mending of his sunny and determined personality with his fiery (and violent) devotion.

Stats:

Guardmouse Kole

Fur: Dark Brown

Cloak: Orange

Hometown: Shaleburrow

Parents: Joseph and Vida, Harvesters

Senior Artisan: Uncle Olef the Harvester

Mentor: Uncle Garrow the Patrol Leader

Friend: Serra the Brewer

Enemy: Fredirc the Harvester (possible Councilmouse)

Belief: Through strength, honor is found.

Goal:

Instinct: To defend his charge without hesitation.

Nature: 3

Resources: 1 (buys gifts for others)

Circles: 5 (Friendly, Family in the guard, reputation)

Skills:
    Fighter 6 (specialty)
    Healer 2
    Survivalist 4
    Persuader 2
    Harvester 4

Traits:
    Open-minded 1
    Bodyguard 1

Wises:
    Harvest-wise 2
    Escort-wise 2

Gear: Sword and Shield.

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    kakos, question:

Instructor says the the Ob. is your student's current Nature. Does that imply an opposed roll or that a student with Nature 5 cannot be taught without 5 successes?

If the latter, teaching seems really hard.

I would like to be able to use Instructor with at least some degree of efficacy. Currently I have a 3, 1 from an assistant and 2 from a wise... i don't think equipment would help any would it? Probably not. So, 6 dice total, should be reasonably good as long as I'm rolling a vs test.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    You could conceivably have equipment, depending on what it is you're trying to instruct there could be a range of teaching aids that could give you a bonus. Also, everyone else who knows the skill you're trying to teach can add one of their dice to help you.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    kakos, question:

Instructor says the the Ob. is your student's current Nature. Does that imply an opposed roll or that a student with Nature 5 cannot be taught without 5 successes?

If the latter, teaching seems really hard.

I would like to be able to use Instructor with at least some degree of efficacy. Currently I have a 3, 1 from an assistant and 2 from a wise... i don't think equipment would help any would it? Probably not. So, 6 dice total, should be reasonably good as long as I'm rolling a vs test.

It's an Obstacle, so that's the number of successes you need. Keep in mind that when Instructing, you use the taxed Nature. So, teach when the Mouse has his Nature taxed. Or, if the Mouse's nature isn't taxed, then cause it to be taxed. "Before I can teach you this, you need to go do some Research." The student scurries off, does some Research, calling on his Nature. If the mouse fails, his Nature is taxed, making it easier to teach him. If he passes, well, I'd consider that a good reason to give some sort of bonus to being taught.

Also, keep in mind that it's possible to get lots of help with the roll. Call on the skill you're trying to teach. +1D. You have a Wise somehow related? +1D. Another person is around that can help? +1D You have yet another person around to help? Another +1D.

However, all that being said, this is one of the many reasons a character should strike a balance between a high and low Nature.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    also, it seems pretty reasonable to me that a character with a really high nature would have trouble being taught to do things that don't fall under the purview of his mousiness.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    That's true, but spending a precious Player's Turn roll for an I-Need-All-Winners-On-5d6 (1 in 32 odds) seems pretty steep... especially when it's not really something I can compromise on and the end result is 1 pass or fail towards an advancement. I didn't realize more than one person could Help though, and I've changed my wises to add Tutelage. I might try to move another point into Instruction as well, we'll see.

Does having a Wise only add 1d regardless of the wise's score?

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    well, think of it this way: teaching someone to do something and expecting them to be completely proficient in it is a very tall order.

teaching ain't easy

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Consider how long the apprenticeship and mentoring phases last in a mouse's life, and in the end the statistical gains are just a handful of numbers. In the same vein, even if you only complete a small number of Instructor checks, your mouse's RP role will still undoubtedly be that of a mentor/leader/teacher type and in the end that will bear the greater weight on your character's stat picks. Shoot, I buried a ton of points in things that might see only limited uses. Harvester? That might never see play, but the guy was a good harvester and if I'm smart there will be a useful way to put the RP together with the nuts and bolts.

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]