As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chrono Trigger] The black wind howls...

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Right, I'm on my first playthrough of CT ever and I just completed all the sidequests, save
    The Black Omen. So how do I tackle the black omen? You can go through it multiple times, right, by defeating it in 2400 AD first, and then working your way back? Is that worth doing or will that seriously over level you? I'm at about level 45 with everybody. Oh, and I'm completely ignoring the extra dungeons. Screw that.
    It's locked in 2400. 1000, 600, and 12,000 BC are the times. I like doing it, since you can charm a shit load of good stuff from it--equipment, tabs, elixirs, etc. Doing it twice or three times won't break the game, but it'll definitely be easier.

Elendil on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2009
    I still haven't played in a moth because of how retarded Black Omen is.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited January 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    o_O

What's wrong with it?

Elendil on
  • FreakleFreakle Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ya - black omen is one of the better dungeons in the game. Also I haven't played in a while, but I am pretty sure that if you are only level 45, the black omen will wreck you, or be really challenging/fun.

Freakle on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Just wanted to say, I generally don't like RPGs in general, but I absolutely love this game, and I think it's virtually perfect in every way. Nothing about "what to do next" is too cryptic. The character level / enemy difficulty curve is about ideal. The story moves at an appropriate pace. I love how there aren't "random" encounters with enemies. The story and writing are excellent. The characters are diverse and interesting. It's beautiful to look at and has wonderful music. It's the perfect length. I love this game.

slash000 on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    Just wanted to say, I generally don't like RPGs in general, but I absolutely love this game, and I think it's virtually perfect in every way. Nothing about "what to do next" is too cryptic. The character level / enemy difficulty curve is about ideal. The story moves at an appropriate pace. I love how there aren't "random" encounters with enemies. The story and writing are excellent. The characters are diverse and interesting. It's beautiful to look at and has wonderful music. It's the perfect length. I love this game.

This is exactly what I was trying to say in the OP. Heck, I may even quote it there.

At any rate, what I will do is put the European release date in the title.

ASimPerson on
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    mastrius wrote: »
    So you need to beat the game to do some extra dungeons? Because like I said, I stopped in the midst of the bullshit lost sanctum stuff. Ill finish up when I pop it back in but...yeah....

I'm not sure if you've played CT before, but the lost sanctum is one of the extra dungeons. It's not part of the regular sidequests. The other ones pop up right after you beat the game.

No this is my first time playing it. And I see. I meant the other ones that people were talking about though. And when I beat the game can I still play afterward or is it like....I have to get to a certain length in New Game + in order to access them or..?

and Elendil, yes, portable Chrono Trigger = heaven. I love this friggin game. I had Sega as a kid so I never got to play it. Im happy I was finally able to though. Its too awesome.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Anyway, now I can ask my damn question:

Is there a consensus on what the best use of the tabs?
    Depends, how bad do you want to break the game?

I normally give Robo the magic tabs, as his techs are balanced around him having a crap magic rating. So pumping that up turns him into a monster when doing dual/triple techs.

Don't give strength tabs to Marle/Lucca. Their attacks don't use strength in the calculations so those tabs are wasted on them. Instead, I normally save these for Crono, equip him with the rainbow and a relic that boosts counter attacks and he's insane.

I normally give speed tabs to Lucca, as she has some of the best magic attacks in the game, and should be allowed to burn shit more often. Robo also gets some of these, as he's slow as hell.

see317 on
    edited February 2009
    Crono's got strength to spare no matter what, so I tend to use power tabs on Frog and the last character

Elendil on
    edited February 2009
    Elendil wrote: »
    Crono's got strength to spare no matter what, so I tend to use power tabs on Frog and the last character

In every RPG I play when theres power ups I only ever use them on the Main character...its a thing I have. Well actually I used the speed on Marle because shes fucking slow. But other than that. Well no I used magic on her too....hmm....SHUP! Well the Main in this game is mainly strength so you cant blame me...But I do usually only use powerups on the Main guys...

Quite the spoiler
    Which almost made me ripshit when he died at that point in the game. I sat there staring at the screen for like ten minutes and was just like "NO! NO! WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS?!" God did that scare me. I mean goddamn....

mastrius on
    edited February 2009
    Crono is just super overpowered. Hideously strong weapons, great stats excepting magic, and Luminaire. Fucking Luminaire. Even with Crono's awful magic stat, it's stronger than pretty much anything else you can possibly throw out.

Elendil on
    edited February 2009
    One thing I did like about the new dungeons was the new super equipment.
    I decided to take the opportunity to solo Lavos with Magus. (Or more accurately, Magus alongside two characters with 1 HP who I didn't use.) Man, that was sweet.

Elendil on
    edited February 2009
    haha goddamn. You can really do that? Thats pretty crazy. What level were you?

mastrius on
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    45? The Omen's going to eat you alive. That thing's a bitch even in the 50's. Do the other ending sidequests and level for a long while.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
    edited February 2009
    o_O

What's wrong with it?
    Let me switch on the spoilers...
    So you have a game where the final boss can be challenged at any time. Awesome. It's different and allows you to make the game as easy, hard or whatever as you'd like. And once you get the main story stuff cleared up, you're given a list of potential side stuff to do. Which is cool: pad out the game time, get some nice story bits and power yourself up before going after Lavos.

So eventually, I decide to take on Black Omen. I forget my level, but I didn't find it very challenging. Then again, I hear Crono/Frog/Ayla is pretty damn potent. But this is my first time really playing the game, so I just lucked into that combination. Any fight that kicked my ass was solved by putting characters in my technicolor dreamcoats. Otherwise, Black Omen was just an endurance test. But hey, quite enjoyable.

Alright, time for the Queen Bitch. Okay...time to fight another boss. Alright fine, I guess she deserves a "true form" fight or whatever. I one-shot the whole thing and anticipate the post-battle itemlust in which I properly sort out all the crap I got.

And uh...then she summons Lavos.

Besides the minor detail that she should be dead, I can just kick her ass again. But no, I let her do it. I almost think it's a joke at first, and I send the fucker packing so we can do this thing proper in 1999. I mean, why was she waiting for him to come if it was possible to just fucking summon him all this time? Even more ridiculous is the fact this happens AFTER I break all the toys. The hell?

Now this is after learning I can apparently escape the place, but you generally can't run away from bosses. It just seems so incredibly needless to have the boss pop up here when I can just jump in a bucket and warp to his house. It doesn't help that the epic fight is...a boss rush. Is that really necessary? Maybe I am just a nitpicky grump, but I hate tacked-on shit like that. It's not a good first impression when you're mimicking the first damn boss I fought.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What levels were you guys at when you fought
    Giga Gaia

I feel like I'm at the levels I should be at (low 30's) but he destroys me very quickly. There isn't a trick to him that I've missed is there?

SirToasty on
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Giga Gaia

I feel like I'm at the levels I should be at (low 30's) but he destroys me very quickly. There isn't a trick to him that I've missed is there?
    I don't remember my level, but generally, a good idea for the fight would be to equip some Shadow or Fire absorbing or resistant armors for his initial attacks, and then take out a hand, but just one, before you focus on his face. He'll restore the hand eventually, but his two big attacks are primarily double-hand techniques (Dark Plasma and the Flare one), and it's worth it to take one out to prevent them, but by the time you have both out, you don't have a lot of time to take the fight to him before they restore. I think the Right hand heals him, but I'm not positive on that, so that would be a good one to get rid of.

That'd be my advice.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
    edited February 2009
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Giga Gaia

I don't remember my level, but generally, a good idea for the fight would be to equip some Shadow or Fire absorbing or resistant armors for his initial attacks, and then take out a hand, but just one, before you focus on his face. He'll restore the hand eventually, but his two big attacks are primarily double-hand techniques (Dark Plasma and the Flare one), and it's worth it to take one out to prevent them, but by the time you have both out, you don't have a lot of time to take the fight to him before they restore. I think the Right hand heals him, but I'm not positive on that, so that would be a good one to get rid of.

That'd be my advice.
    I noticed that the right hand heals him and I tried to take it out first but I got obliterated before I could.

SirToasty on
    edited February 2009
    About 60. I equipped him with his new weapon, which does quadruple damage on a crit, a new Helm which blocks status effects and doubles as a sunglasses type item, his new armor that jacks up his magic defense and provides an auto-barrier effect, and I think the Dragon's Tear which ups the crit rate. Then I dropped my hoarded magic tabs into him.

You need a fair amount of elixirs, but it's not too difficult.

Elendil on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    European release 6th of February? I'll probably get it because of how many people say that it's the best game ever.

Peewi on
  • JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm 100%ing the game right now. I got all the endings, 99% bestiary and 92% encyclopedia. The new ending was by far the best part of the new DS content IMHO. I have to completely agree with those who said the Lost Sanctrum is absolutely horrible.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
    edited February 2009
    About 60. I equipped him with his new weapon, which does quadruple damage on a crit, a new Helm which blocks status effects and doubles as a sunglasses type item, his new armor that jacks up his magic defense and provides an auto-barrier effect, and I think the Dragon's Tear which ups the crit rate. Then I dropped my hoarded magic tabs into him.

You need a fair amount of elixirs, but it's not too difficult.

Holy freakin jesus.

mastrius on
    edited February 2009
    mm some of the new items can only be obtained in the arena, right? Anyone have any pointers on how to train my monster? I'm concentrating on strenght right now.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
    edited February 2009
    As I said I was having trouble with Giga Gaia.

I ground for a bit in the the Mountain of Woe and fought the Rubbles that give 100 TP if you kill them and got a ton of new techs including Crono's Luminaire.

Well using only that tech, Giga Gaia didn't stand a chance. I had Ayla and Frog heal everyone once and then use a couple ether's on Crono. That tech is insane.

SirToasty on
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I ground for a bit in the the Mountain of Woe and fought the Rubbles that give 100 TP if you kill them and got a ton of new techs including Crono's Luminaire.

Well using only that tech, Giga Gaia didn't stand a chance. I had Ayla and Frog heal everyone once and then use a couple ether's on Crono. That tech is insane.

Jesus you got Luminaire already? Use it sparingly if you want to keep the game fun, God that tech's overpowered.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2009
    Yeah Luminaire is crazy strong.... Right now my Luminaire does 4,100DMG while Antipode 3 does 4,700.

Jean on
    edited February 2009
    Ampix wrote: »

Jesus you got Luminaire already? Use it sparingly if you want to keep the game fun, God that tech's overpowered.
    It didn't take long to get it. Those Rubble's are hard to actually kill but you get so much TP from them. Luminaire is definitely ridiculous. Beat Dalton in just a few turns. I'm gonna use it less for now.

SirToasty on
  • JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So the Lost Sanctum is new? That explains the huge disparity in quality. As someone who never really played the original, I was wondering about that.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Time Vortex dungeons aren't much better. Especially the one in 1000 A.D.
    Dalton? Fucking really?

And neither is the new ending. But the base game is there, and it is good.

I do believe Luminaire is literally the strongest single tech in the game on the mechanical level, but I don't have a source on that. Probably not a far statement, though.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
    edited February 2009
    This game is just too good.
    Crono died :( but I got Magus :) and the Chrono Trigger.

SirToasty on
    edited February 2009
    I kicked his ass with Frog. Fuck his shit.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I got Magus and then decided that he's an asshole. I mean, when you
    Resurrect Chrono he tells Chrono that he died because he was weak. What an ass. I wish I could kill him now. I mean, his attacks and Magic aren't even all that great.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
    edited February 2009
    I've said it once, I'll say it again. Fuck Frog.

I get Magus and then I put him in charge.

Elendil on
    edited February 2009

The hell? Frog is the man.

SirToasty on
    edited February 2009

Overdone brooding longhaired antihero or AQUATIC KNIGHT THAT CAN CLEAVE MOUNTAINS?

And he has the best theme.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited February 2009

Overdone brooding longhaired antihero or AQUATIC KNIGHT THAT CAN CLEAVE MOUNTAINS?

Brooding my ass, Frog's the one who spends the first half of the game sitting on his ass because he feels bad. In the meantime, Crono has to do all the footwork. THANKS DUDE. And meh, overdone, he predates Sephiroth. And Frog's theme is overrated.

Magus gets warped to the middle of nowhere in the timeline and what does he do? He raises an army. Then, when the asshole kids screw it up for him, he goes back to his own time and uses his knowledge of the future to pose as a prophet.

Now that's just fucking cool. Never mind Dark Matter and the fuck off and die point he does in its animation.

Elendil on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Brooding my ass, Frog's the one who spends the first half of the game sitting on his ass because he feels bad. In the meantime, Crono has to do all the footwork. THANKS DUDE. And meh, overdone, he predates Sephiroth. And Frog's theme is overrated.

Magus gets warped to the middle of nowhere in the timeline and what does he do? He raises an army. Then, when the asshole kids screw it up for him, he goes back to his own time and uses his knowledge of the future to pose as a prophet.

Now that's just fucking cool. Never mind Dark Matter and the fuck off and die point he does in its animation.

Much as I love Magus, you have to admit, the setup for letting him and Frog duel is almost too good to resist.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited February 2009
    It's perhaps worth noting that my second favorite character is Dalton

Elendil on
    edited February 2009
    ... How can you like that asshole Dalton?

Jean on
    edited February 2009
    Because he's an asshole.

Elendil on