As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chrono Trigger] The black wind howls...

• Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I love Frog because once you get the Masamune, he is really good with his basic attack.

I don't know why, but ever since playing Chrono Trigger, I am enamored with characters that need nothing more than a weapon to kick ass.

I was so pissed that even after upgrading it, it is small time compared to Chrono's later weapons.

PS Dalton sucks. The best NPC is clearly Tata. (That's the kid, right?)

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Isn't Frog like, 4th or 5th down in terms of a physical attack?

I mean, he's better than Lucca and Marle, but that's about it.

Elendil on
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Elendil wrote: »

I mean, he's better than Lucca and Marle, but that's about it.

Maybe. Considering his frequent criticals with the Hero Badge + Masamune, and the Masamune's high power for the time you get it, I'd say he does, on average, respectable damage.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

I'd say 4th

Best from worse i'd say it goes : Crono - Ayla - Robo - Frog - optional char. - Lucca - Marle

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My temptation is always to raise Marle and keep her on as a Healer for my party. But I'm not so sure she's a great choice to round out that third slot in my team, because I don't feel like she has any offense, and she doesn't really do anything that heals all 3 team members.

slash000 on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I never had a SNES so this is my first time playing the game.

I am up to where I have to fight Magus. I have died several times already but I think I can do it.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    One. I almost always have Marle in the party.

Two. Her only really good spell is haste. She can be pretty effective form of shadow/ice damage when partied with lucca though and maxing out her magic.

The best party really is Crono, Ayla, X. X usually being Marle for the stealing.

My default party though is Crono, Marle, Lucca. They get the job done just fine, as will any party in this game.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    My temptation is always to raise Marle and keep her on as a Healer for my party. But I'm not so sure she's a great choice to round out that third slot in my team, because I don't feel like she has any offense, and she doesn't really do anything that heals all 3 team members.

More than likely she'll find herself a double-tech that will heal everyone to full.

I had Crono Marle and Frog, and thats what happened.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    One. I almost always have Marle in the party.

Two. Her only really good spell is haste. She can be pretty effective form of shadow/ice damage when partied with lucca though and maxing out her magic.

The best party really is Crono, Ayla, X. X usually being Marle for the stealing.

My default party though is Crono, Marle, Lucca. They get the job done just fine, as will any party in this game.

I forgot about Haste. Haste is fucking glorious. I love that damn thing. I use it all the time.

As far as your "best party" scenario, I'd probably agree. I ended up beating the game with Crono, Ayla, and Marle. Ayla's freakin' powerful. Plus, Falcon Strike was unbelievably useful during the game.

Putting Haste on a high-level Crono equals Luminaire City. Especially with that accessory that 1/4's the MP usage.

Kor wrote: »

More than likely she'll find herself a double-tech that will heal everyone to full.

I had Crono Marle and Frog, and thats what happened.

What's the dual tech that heals everyone to full? I don't think yo'ure referring to Aura Whirl..

slash000 on
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sadly I have to agree with Elendil on like...all the points he made there. Thats exactly how I felt and the responses everyone gave were the responses all my friends kept giving me.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I beat the game with Chrono, Ayla and Marle. She was invaluable in the last boss fight, I can't actually imagine beating Lavos without Marle in my party. In fact, she was my highest level character when I beat the game.

I hardly even used Lucca on that playthrough. She didn't even have Fire 2. I'm so embarassed about that. I've been using her a lot in this run though. Giving her Speed tabs and getting her best weapon really helped.

Rotam on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Necessary perspective:
    Chrono Trigger is a really good game. It is almost certainly no longer the best JRPG ever.
    If you're playing it for the first time, be aware of this.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Necessary perspective:
    Chrono Trigger is a really good game. It is almost certainly no longer the best JRPG ever.

Oh Xagarath, you and your always negative view of things. I just played it for the first time and it slipped into my favorite slot for RPG. I know you said "almost" but I mean come on...the game is just so goddamn awesome, I can easily see it becoming faved by many who play it. If of course they can respect it for what it is and not be like "ITS GRAPHICS ARNT SUPER 3D 360/PS3 AWESOME AND etc etc"

I mean I dont play it and like it because I think "Oh wow so this was out back then and its this good?" I just take it for what it is, and its pretty badass. I love the story, I love the battle system (absolutely love the goddamn battle system, I wish to see it in more games. I do.), I loved the characters and I just really love this game...maybe Im just obsessing here, but I mean...it really is good.

Edit: and I do see what you mean, I wont say I disagree, it just really hit the spot for me and I really liked it. But I do see what you mean.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    My point is not that it's not a great game. It is, I like it, and I imported it long before the PAL release. My point is that there are some in the genre since that are even better, and fans of those may be a little let down if their expectations are overinflated.
    That's all.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I don't care for Marle. Haste is great, and I'll sometimes sub her into boss battles, but the lack of a full-party heal single tech really diminishes her usefulness. I typically use Robo instead.

Elendil on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Maybe they were under-leveled (Lvl 44? going from memory here) but I tried to use Robo, Marle, and Lucca to kill
    Mother Brain in the Geno Dome
    and I died three times. I switched to Crono and Ayla and beat it in about 4 turns. Magic just isn't a substitute for physical techs...I never could heal the party past enough and Marle and Lucca were losing half their HP with each hit. I'm not very fond of them. Crono, Frog, Ayla FTW.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    The Last GentThe Last Gent Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Okay, a bunch of things.

I like, never use Ayla, and I'm ashamed to say the only reason is that her neanderthal talk really annoys me, and I'd rather have other characters participating in the cutscenes.

I'm big on playing the game in a plot-centered way, so when I visit a time period, I try to compose my party of people FROM that time period. i.e Frog and (optional) in the middle ages, Lucca and Marle in the present, Robo in the future, etc.

Also I really wish there were some relationship choices for Crono in the game. I'm not done it, but it seems like they're pushing for him to get together with Marle. Maybe it's just me, but I really thought he'd get together with Lucca.

Finally, what accessories do you give people? Crono used to have the counterattack thing, but I gave it to Robo, and gave Crono the item that halves TP usage, as it feels like he burns through TP faster than the other characters.

Now for some questions:

1) So I was a dumbass and sold all my armor except for my strongest ones, so....Is there somewhere where I can buy all the elemental-protection armors again or are they gone permanently?
    2) How the HELL do you kill the Son of Suns (fire guy in the future sidequest)? Magic does nothing, physical atacks do little, counterattacks own me
    3) What's the best order to do the sidequests in, in terms of difficulty/required level? Maybe I'm just doing him too soon.

ALSO the ocean palace theme music is badass. They played it again during the Guardia Castle Trial of the King sidequest and I was like "HEEEEELL YEEEEAAH"

The Last Gent on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Okay, a bunch of things.

2) How the HELL do you kill the Son of Suns (fire guy in the future sidequest)? Magic does nothing, physical atacks do little, counterattacks own me

Ok, you need to equip some fire absorbing armor, otherwise you're going to die quick.

Then, DON'T attack the main body. You have to attack his flames. Except There's only one right one and there's no way of knowing which it is. When you find the right one, you'll notice that hitting it also does damage to the main body. Hit the wrong one and you get countered by horrible fire (Which is why you must have fire-absorbing armor!). Unfortunately, the flames rotate every so often.

I found it to be the most tedious/annoying boss battle of the game so far....but it's doable.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    edit: beat'd

re: Son of Suns
    You have to have some pretty tough characters for this.

But basically he's a roullette. You can only attack 1 specific flame to do any damage to him. So he'll spin; and you have to keep attacking each flame until you hit the one that causes significant damage, and creates a sound effect like a "ding!" Once you've hit the right one, you have to quickly smash it with all of your most powerful attacks; just be sure not to hit the other flames in the process else they'll counter.

Act quickly, because Sun of Suns will spin and roullete his flames again and you'll have to start attacking each in turn to find the right one again.
    It's frustrating but with the right equipment and high enough characters it's not too bad.

edit2: you can survive without Fire armor if you have tough enough characters and a decent healer. That's what I did.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    They're is a good armor you can get for Son of Suns
    The Ruby Armor. It's worth 78 defense points and it reduce fire dmg by 80%. Everybody but the optional char. can equip it. You can get it in the trade hut in the prehistoric time.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Jean wrote: »
    The Ruby Armor. It's worth 78 defense points and it reduce fire dmg by 80%. Everybody but the optional char. can equip it. You can get it in the trade hut in the prehistoric time.

You can still get it at any time right?

Part of many people's problem is that they get it, then find better equipment, then sell the ruby stuff, and eventually run into the Son of Suns and find themselves without fire-resistant armor.

But can't you go hunting for feathers/eggs/whatever and trade for Ruby stuff at any time, even if you've already traded for and sold it before? Or is there only a limited number of Ruby stuff that you can get from the dino trader? I don't think there's a limit....

Oh well. By the time I came across Son of Suns my characters were beefed up and I beat the hell out of it without fire-resistant armor. I just had to heal people a lot.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I just loaded my end game file to make sure and I'm still able to get it. The hunting range still have monsters in it as well should you find yourself short on trading items.

Jean on
  • Options
    CullenCullen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Necessary perspective:

Out of curiousity what do you rate higher than CT? I haven't played a console JRPG since the PS1 and felt the genre was gradually running itself into the ground to the point where I just gave up. FFVI and CT felt like they were really pushing the boundaries of what a JRPG (and indeed games as interactive fiction) could be. Aside from some flashy FMV sequences in the Playstation era the genre just stood still at best. I'd be interested to get back into JRPGs if you can tell me the genre is moving on.

Cullen on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    FFVII is better than CT. But CT is way up there and I'd consider it the best SNES RPG, by a fairly large margin.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    CT is better than FF VII, but that's an opinion.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yes, Xagarath, I too am curious as to what rates higher than CT in your opinion?

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Quite a few of the Shin Megami Tensei games, especially Nocturne and Persona 3. I'd currently call Nocturne the best of its genre, but I of course haven't been able to play Persona 4 yet.
    Possibly Dragon Quest VIII.
    Possibly TWEWY.
    I'll admit there aren't a lot of other candidates. Maybe Terranigma, but on atmosphere and plot rather than design, where CT beats it hollow.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Jean wrote: »

You can still get it at any time right?

Part of many people's problem is that they get it, then find better equipment, then sell the ruby stuff, and eventually run into the Son of Suns and find themselves without fire-resistant armor.

But can't you go hunting for feathers/eggs/whatever and trade for Ruby stuff at any time, even if you've already traded for and sold it before? Or is there only a limited number of Ruby stuff that you can get from the dino trader? I don't think there's a limit....

Oh well. By the time I came across Son of Suns my characters were beefed up and I beat the hell out of it without fire-resistant armor. I just had to heal people a lot.

You guys are doing it wrong. You need to find the red vest chest in 600ad, then charge it up so when you open it up in 1000ad you get the red mail.

That makes it so almost all of son of sun's attacks heal you.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm towards the end of the game and I just realized I have two Red Plates (red mail).

I'm not sure how this happened.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'm towards the end of the game and I just realized I have two Red Plates (red mail).

Can't you Charm one from a few enemies?

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I never ever sell equipment. I just don't, especially the situational stuff like Ruby Mail and whathaveyou. The chance of it being incredibly useful later is too great.

Man I enjoy this game.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My first real play through this and I am absolutely loving it. I understand that you don't want people to expect TOO much going into it, but... The hype is well-deserved.

I'm interested to hear what you guys think about the Arena. My friends, CT purists all, haven't touched it, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit as a distraction, and find myself going to the Arena in between chapters or when I need to breathe for a few minutes.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    You guys are doing it wrong. You need to find the red vest chest in 600ad, then charge it up so when you open it up in 1000ad you get the red mail.

That makes it so almost all of son of sun's attacks heal you.

That's definitely the right way to do it.

Unfortunately I was too lazy to do anything of this nature and instead just beat the Son of Suns into submission with Chrono and Ayla while Marle Hasted and Healed 'em every turn.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Finally, what accessories do you give people? Crono used to have the counterattack thing, but I gave it to Robo, and gave Crono the item that halves TP usage, as it feels like he burns through TP faster than the other characters.

I've found a bunch of different and interesting accessories.

But the one I always find myself granting Crono is the one that makes magic usage deplete at 25%. The result is Luminaire City.

There's also an item that multiplies the character's HP by 1.5%. But this becomes increasingly less useful toward the end of the game as your characters approach 950+ hit points anyway.

Other than that, eq varies depending on who needs what and what situation.. Stuff that prevents status effects is useful.. stuff that increases Crit Hits is useful.. stuff like that.

Now for some questions:

3) What's the best order to do the sidequests in, in terms of difficulty/required level? Maybe I'm just doing him too soon.

I dunno what the best order is, but I'd recommend doing the Black Omen last

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I tend to give Crono the Prism Specs, since I use him more to physical attack than anything. If I need to toss a Luminaire, it'll cost me, but holy fuck will it hurt.

Elendil on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Have you been messing around with the arena monster thing?
    I got a Swallow (Crono's sword that gives +3 speed) way early in the game and pretty much broke it for myself from the Arena. Still entertaining though.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

True that, but the guy said he had sold all his previous armors so I gave him another option. I assumed the red mail/vest were among the items he had sold.

And for the monster arena - I'm messing with it right now to get 100% items. My monster evolved to it's 3rd form now.

My monster -
    DeathSchythe
    Wins 30 (0)

HP 6,849

Strenght 99
    Speed 99
    Evasion 99
    Magic Def 11
    Accuracy 98
    Magic 99
    Stamina 99
    Trust 95

Jean on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Black Omen question:
    Ok, so I'm playing through the Black Omen for the first time. I started in 1000AD. I am up to the save point with the two Nus. Now, one of them asks me if I want to escape. Is this how you escape to fight the Black omen multiple times, or what? How do you get out of the Lavos battle and go to fight the omen in the other time periods, otherwise?

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    To answer your question
    You can go trough the Omen in 3 times period : Present, Middle Ages , Antiquity. Completing it in one time period will make it dissapear in that period and in later ones, but not the earlier ones so you can complete it 3 times per playtrough that way. If you want more you'll have to rely on the Nus. As for the Lavos battle, you wont have to fight it more than once. If you beat him by going trough the bucket first, he wont even appear at the end of the B.O.The other bosses will, tough.

Jean on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Black Omen question:
    Ok, so I'm playing through the Black Omen for the first time. I started in 1000AD. I am up to the save point with the two Nus. Now, one of them asks me if I want to escape. Is this how you escape to fight the Black omen multiple times, or what? How do you get out of the Lavos battle and go to fight the omen in the other time periods, otherwise?
    If I recall correctly, beating the Omen in 1000 AD doesn't erase it from 600 AD or 12000 BC. You can escape the Omen after beating it and avoid fighting Lavos.

If you take the Nu up on its offer, it will send you back to the start, immediately.

ASimPerson on