As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wireless Adapter Lag Spikes

GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get mygold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
I've noticed in every online game I've played lately, I get occasional lag spikes every 30-45 seconds or so. They are very brief, last only for a second or two, but they are very consistent and make playing online games less smooth and somewhat frustrating.

I've opened ports for various games that I play, but it doesn't seem to have any effect. When I plug in directly into the router it seems to eliminate the problem. This is not ideal however, as my router is on the other side of the room and I'd rather not be running a wire across the room just to play games.

Is this a typical problem with adapters? My wireless adapter is a Linksys WUSB600N, and the router is a Linksys WRT54G. I've done some searching on the issue but haven't turned up much. Thanks for any help/advice!

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
GoodKingJayIII on

• ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What firmware is the router running? Have you tried dd-wrt or some other replacement firmware?

I'm sure someone will come in here with more specific networking knowledge than I have and help you out sniffing packets and finding out what's holding the data up. But short of that, you can try flashing the router and seeing if that helps. It often does.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thing about wireless adapters is that they're not really designed with low latency gaming in mind.

It sounds to me that the driver or windows is checking for other wireless connections or perhaps changing channels. The thing about wireless is, you shouldn't use it for gaming that requires any kind of low latency, because you're just not going to get it.

Plus, it's a USB adapter so it's going to be a cheap chipset that can't really handle any kind of serious throughput.

Ultimately if you want to play games online go with cables, its sad but true. There are so many things that can screw around with your wireless connection that it's made useless for gaming.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Vista and xp both have issues with wireless gaming, I first encountered this with WoW. Search around and you can find some solutions.

XP - had some "feature" that would re-aquire connection to the wireless access point every minute or so, this would cause a few seconds of lag.
    Vista - look into a program called vista anti lag, also search around for "vista wireless gaming lag"

The only way i was able to get it manageable on vista was to find specific wireless drivers for the chipset of my card (linksys wmp54g i think). Even then I would get spikes every 10-20 minutes. Had to switch back to the cable for gaming pc and threw wireless card in htpc.

edit: i am using the same router as the op running dd-wrt, didn't seem to make a difference.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sounds like issues with both the OS and the wireless card. I'll see if there's a feasible way to run a wire. In the mean time, I'll try out some of the fixes you've suggested. Thanks again for your help.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    [ ]Wireless
    [ ]Router
    [ ]Good

Pick 2.

That_Guy on
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That_Guy wrote: »
    [ * ]Wireless
    [ ]Router
    [ * ]Good

Pick 2.

I sense something has gone wrong.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.