As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LOTRO] Barrovian Society Wanders but is not Lost

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Triple B wrote: »
    Dinged 29 today while running some quests in the eastern part of the Lone Lands. Agamaur is a fucking whore, let it be known. Picked up quite a few GA quests in the process, so Aldo if you're looking for a fellowship to head in there, I'd consider joining up to give it a go. Get in touch with Hjartad if it suits you.
    I play on EU Evernight.

if all goes well I'll be doing all GA and Agamaur quests today with a fs from my kin.

Aldo on
    edited February 2009
    shiiiiit, my character got stuck and now I can't log into it any more. D:

Aldo on
  • Caramel GenocideCaramel Genocide Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So, reading the MMO recommendation thread over in H/A got the husband and myself interested in trying this out. Does anyone have a couple of spare buddy keys for two lurkers? We'd love to be able to try out the warden, but apparently you can't do that with the regular old free trial.

Caramel Genocide on
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah you can. Go to lotro.com and the trial page should splash up. You can play a warden in the trial, but you cant upgrade unless you get the expanison version of the game (Mines of Moria, 50 bucks, but it comes with the original game too, so great deal)

CangoFett on
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So, reading the MMO recommendation thread over in H/A got the husband and myself interested in trying this out. Does anyone have a couple of spare buddy keys for two lurkers? We'd love to be able to try out the warden, but apparently you can't do that with the regular old free trial.

I PM'ed you a pair of buddy keys that came with MoM. Hope you both enjoy. Good to see a couple of potential new full-time players. Also, in spite of what the fools in the H/A thread suggest, avoid WoW like the goddamned plague. The community is as close to a social landfill as any game gets...it's like the Halo of MMO's. In LOTRO, you'll find helpful, knowledgable, decent human beings who are mostly willing to help out whenever someone needs it. I look forward to seeing you guys on Landroval! :D

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    CangoFett wrote: »
    Yeah you can. Go to lotro.com and the trial page should splash up. You can play a warden in the trial, but you cant upgrade unless you get the expanison version of the game (Mines of Moria, 50 bucks, but it comes with the original game too, so great deal)

Well, its regularly 40, not 50, but its only $20 this week at Best Buy.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • blindside044blindside044 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So did you end up doing your GA run, Aldo? :(

blindside044 on
  • DedianDedian Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Speaking of the community, I have to agree this has the best community I've played with in a long time. If you roll a char on Landroval, keep in mind it's the unofficial RP server... Not that people hold you to RP'ing your way into the Prancing Pony, but a lot of people frown on using the official chat channels for anything but on-topic discussion (i.e. if you're out of context, use the /ooc channel), and you'll see quite a few groups (with white names, indicating they've flagged themselves as RP'ers) standing around emoting at eachother. If you're not into RP, don't let that keep you from playing on Landroval; everyone's been really helpful and in general a very mature bunch...

Dedian on
  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dedian wrote: »
    Speaking of the community, I have to agree this has the best community I've played with in a long time. If you roll a char on Landroval, keep in mind it's the unofficial RP server... Not that people hold you to RP'ing your way into the Prancing Pony, but a lot of people frown on using the official chat channels for anything but on-topic discussion (i.e. if you're out of context, use the /ooc channel), and you'll see quite a few groups (with white names, indicating they've flagged themselves as RP'ers) standing around emoting at eachother. If you're not into RP, don't let that keep you from playing on Landroval; everyone's been really helpful and in general a very mature bunch...

..FOR ME TO POOP ON!

The Sneak! on
    edited February 2009
    So did you end up doing your GA run, Aldo? :(
    I did manage to kill the tree boss and the brothers, but we stranded on Ivar. Our lev 60 was not as awesome as advertised. :( Gonna try again once I have time to play more.

Aldo on
  • Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I don't think it has to do with RPing. If you're holding a conversation about whether or not you have a "real" job in /lff, or whether or not the Steelers rule in /advice, there's a good chance someone's going to ask you to move it to /ooc because they don't want to mute a channel that otherwise they might find useful.

But yeah, Landroval's awesome.

Simon Moon on
    Steam: simon moon
    edited February 2009
    Simon Moon wrote: »

I don't think it has to do with RPing. If you're holding a conversation about whether or not you have a "real" job in /lff, or whether or not the Steelers rule in /advice, there's a good chance someone's going to ask you to move it to /ooc because they don't want to mute a channel that otherwise they might find useful.

But yeah, Landroval's awesome.

Exactly right.

One thing that bugs me about Landroval, or LOTRO in general perhaps, is that a lot of times when you're carrying on a conversation that feels innocent enough, you'll get an elitist or two spouting off shit like "I thought I left this behind when I stopped playing WoW" or something.

Triple B on
    edited February 2009
    On my server hardly anyone uses the channels. Does help that everyone is in kins for their own nationality.

Aldo on
    edited February 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    On my server hardly anyone uses the channels. Does help that everyone is in kins for their own nationality.

I suppose it'd be hard if there was a language barrier :D

Now that I've got my armour and weapons set for the next few levels (MMmm forest walkers set + thick elven soldier's pieces), I don't know what to do. I'm trying not to do quests that are above my level, as I have so few that are on-level or lower, that I'll soon outlevel available quests (lvl 43 now). I have a feeling I have to head to Angmar, but... it's so dark and annoying there!.

Dedian on
    edited February 2009
    I'm absolutely bogged down with fellowship quests right now. I might have 3 or 4 solo quests left in my log. That annoys me, and if I recall correctly, it has a lot to do with why I stopped playing Edros a year and a half ago, because I had nothing but fellowship quests, and couldn't find a proper group.

Triple B on
    edited February 2009
    I'm absolutely bogged down with fellowship quests right now. I might have 3 or 4 solo quests left in my log. That annoys me, and if I recall correctly, it has a lot to do with why I stopped playing Edros a year and a half ago, because I had nothing but fellowship quests, and couldn't find a proper group.

Ugh, yeah... Right around your level (30ish right?) I had all fellowship quests, before finally getting over the hump and making it into the Evendim region. I usually buy crafted armour/weapons so I don't care about the quest rewards, and don't have a kin or a regular group to fellowship with... I didn't feel TOO bad cancelling all those requests, but its a lot of stuff I missed out on :) I might be helping a guy with the DD and outside Forochel quests tonight (a plea from the Landroval message boards) - might be the only way I'd get back to do those group quests. The epic group quests certainly seem easier to get a fellowship going on, and I haven't even gone two quests into Chap 2 (lone lands, bah!)

Dedian on
    edited February 2009
    I've done so many fs quests in Lone Lands over the weekend. It was the last weekend I could play the game properly, so I made full use of it. There's a bit too many of them, especially if you're just trying to do the epic quests it's so annoying.

At least I wrapped up book 2 and I got a 18dps sceptre from Goldberry.

Aldo on
  • SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I swear if you combine evade/parry/block/dodge/miss together you have a 75% chance to not hit your target/

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • AllchuffedupAllchuffedup Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I bought LOTRO today, I've been playing mmo's since UO in '97 and am also a big fan of the movies/books.

Anyone have a good suggestion for which class to pick? I'd like something sought after for group activities/instances but still able to solo well.

I know very little of the game but am trying to read up on what I can while I install.

Allchuffedup on
    steam_sig.png
    allchuffedup#1671
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Champion is probably a good choice. Good armor, a pet, some heals, some buffs, some speed buffs.

So far my Minstrel is having a rough time soloing. But the music and constant shouting makes up for it.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited February 2009
    I bought LOTRO today, I've been playing mmo's since UO in '97 and am also a big fan of the movies/books.

Anyone have a good suggestion for which class to pick? I'd like something sought after for group activities/instances but still able to solo well.

Sounds like hunter or champion would work well for you. They're probably the best solo-ers in the game due to the fact that they both have DPS out the ass. Neither do tanking extremely well, but they're both pretty highly accepted when there's only one empty slot left in a fellowship. As far as taking on multiple enemies at once, I can't speak for champion, but hunters tend to die kinda quickly. If you want a really good tank with respectable DPS, I'd say go warden.

Triple B on
    edited February 2009
    I ended up going with warden. Pretty fun so far just level 5ish. Is there a PA kinship I should join? I got in the chat channel but there's nobody responding. My name is Finian and I'll be back on in a bit after dinner.

Allchuffedup on
    steam_sig.png
    allchuffedup#1671
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    All depends on what server you're on. My friends and I wound up on Arkenstone. Some of the PA people are supposedly on Landroval.

One thing I'm having trouble with is figuring out what stat I should be looking for. Will and Fate, I assume?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited February 2009
    Yeah I thought most of the people in this thread were on Landrovas but nobody responded in the pa channel

Allchuffedup on
    steam_sig.png
    allchuffedup#1671
    edited February 2009
    Yeah I thought most of the people in this thread were on Landrovas but nobody responded in the pa channel

To be honest I haven't been in the PA channel for quite a while - I found the same as you, that there wasn't anybody responding or otherwise online. Never fear! If you need any help with anything let me know. I've also got several alts (Dedwian, lvl 15 hunter, Halioc, lvl 13 guardian, and Dedjian, lvl 5 warden - all created primarily as crafting alts) that need some levelling too :) I'm most familiar with the archet -> bree quests but did go through Ered Luin and the shire for deeds

Dedian on
  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't get to play this as much as I would like, but I have a 30 Captain going on... what stats are the most important for him?

The Sneak! on
    edited February 2009
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    I don't get to play this as much as I would like, but I have a 30 Captain going on... what stats are the most important for him?
    might/agi I think. You're dps, after all.

Also: is it just me or are the traits that up agi annoyingly grindy? I did do the slugs in Shire, for some reason. I'm not parting with my Slug Squasher title for a while, I want everybody to know I'm crazy. :P

Aldo on
    edited February 2009
    for the people with too many fellowship quests, have you read these articles made by Turbine on how to solo through the game?

1-20: http://www.lotro.com/news/303-feature-article-solo-play-for-daring-characters-up-to-20th-level

20-40: http://www.lotro.com/news/305-feature-article-the-lord-of-the-rings-online-solo-play-20th-40th-level

40-60: http://www.lotro.com/news/309-feature-article-the-lord-of-the-rings-online-solo-play-40th-60th-level

I havent read the articles so I dont know how legit they are, but they are made by Turbine so I would think they have an idea on what they are talking about :P

Dedia, at level 43 (assuming you have finished the trollshows), you can go to either the Misty Mountains, Angmar or the solo friendly (from what I hear), Forochel. But check the articles above, they might give you more info.

Triple B, I generally look for group quests right when I get the quest... but as I am doing solo quests. Dont finish your solo quests and then start looking for a fellowship once you have nothing to do. Also, look for a group yourself in the LFF channel, dont wait for someone to post in the channel looking for a group; it will take you forever to complete all your fellowship quests then.

The Sneak, I go the cheating route and just Inspect high level characters to see what the popular stats are for a certain class. :)

oh, and Aldo... just to make sure; you arent completing every Deed you come across, are you? You will kill yourself from the endless grind to complete all of them. I just play through the game without worrying about the deeds... and then when necessary, at higher levels, just go back and so the traits you need. They will be a lot easier too since you are higher level.. which means less grind in a way... which is a good thing. :)

blindside044 on
    edited February 2009
    The deeds that rise AGI generally aren't worth it for the reward (how much does it really give, vs what you can add with better jewlery/armour/weapons?). Deeds that are worthwhile now, for a melee char (since damage mitigations went through an overhaul with MoM) are the melee vulnerability reductions and the +armour deeds. These aren't much easier to get than slayer deeds, as most of them are quest-completion type (Final deed for Life of a Bounder - 70 quests in the shire. That's enough shire for me now, thanks)

Dedian on
    edited February 2009
    at the moment I try to do the deeds that give me traits I use a lot and when I'm done with a zone I go and check my deed log to see which deeds I'm almost done with. If I just need to discover one location or kill 20 birds or whatever I do them, otherwise it's on to the next zone.

I did the Slugs one because I felt OCD'ish and figured I was high enough lev to rush through the starting zone deeds. I also all deeds in Ered Luin and some more in Bree/Archet. I don't know, I don't mind grinding so much, because warden is just fun to play with and I still get enough loot to make it vaguely worthwhile.

Aldo on
    edited February 2009
    The deeds that rise AGI generally aren't worth it for the reward (how much does it really give, vs what you can add with better jewlery/armour/weapons?). Deeds that are worthwhile now, for a melee char (since damage mitigations went through an overhaul with MoM) are the melee vulnerability reductions and the +armour deeds. These aren't much easier to get than slayer deeds, as most of them are quest-completion type (Final deed for Life of a Bounder - 70 quests in the shire. That's enough shire for me now, thanks)
    I did all quests in the shire, the epic bounder's hat is ridiculously good. It's light armor, something like 70 armour and 20 radiance.

How good are the +resistance traits on the grand scale of things?

By the way, the agi and might go from 3-6-9-... so they provide some nice bonuses. They also have some other effects, but I havent memorized them.

Aldo on
    edited February 2009
    At max rank (10), Determination gives +30 AGI. You can get that from one or two pieces of armor. It also gives you +58 Morale, and +45 in-combat morale regen. To give an idea of the drop in the bucket +58 morale is: at level 43 with 280-ish might, I have nearly 3k morale.

I've played around with the +resistance traits and haven't seen a whole lot more "Resist" popping up than before I had it. I have rank.. 6 or so Charity, which gives quite a boost to wound resistance, but I still get wounded and damaged from wounds all the time. It helps but the resistance part I've found less worthwhile. The - MV% traits (or similarly for ranged; tactical... I don't know if anything does tactical damage) negate a percentage of all damage done to you from melee. I believe the max you can get is 25% (9% through max level traits and the rest through armour and such.. but that's end game stuff). +armour stats are also nice... I believe I have rank 3 or 4 empathy, so it's like having an extra helm or glove on.

Here's a good table of the virtues and what they give you at max level:

http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Category:Virtues

In any case, these don't all make that much of a difference, but do help a little bit. A lot of the quest-related ones you'll probably get just working through zones. I find working on slayer deeds while also grinding out class-traits a good use of time. If they drop leather and you're a tailor, even better! :)

Right now I'm slotting Charity, Discipline, Empathy, Innocence, and Zeal.

Edit: Also, slot/grind what you want and have fun - I just have too much time at work to do nothing but look at these numbers :D

Dedian on
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, I already noticed the +morale was lackluster compared to what i can get from a few Vitality. The +stats still don't sound all that bad, but it's clear that the +armor and -n% dmg are much more useful.

Aldo on
    edited February 2009
    So I dinged 31 last night, and for the first time since I dinged 21, I bought some new armor. Went with Fine Elven Outrider's pieces, but I can't find the damn leggings to save my soul. I sent a shout into the Regional channel asking if anyone could craft Elven Outrider's Leggings, but nobody responded. Is there anyone here, or does anyone know anyone who could craft such leggings?

Triple B on
    edited February 2009
    So I dinged 31 last night, and for the first time since I dinged 21, I bought some new armor. Went with Fine Elven Outrider's pieces, but I can't find the damn leggings to save my soul. I sent a shout into the Regional channel asking if anyone could craft Elven Outrider's Leggings, but nobody responded. Is there anyone here, or does anyone know anyone who could craft such leggings?

Pretty sure I can craft outrider's stuff (I think I have the chest and shoes... I can pick up the leggings though) I believe I have the guild piece required for this on cooldown until thursday, but I can make it after that. Err wait, the guild recipe is Exquisite elven outrider's... I think I could do Fine Elven, though - what has better stats for ya?

Edit: I got not-lazy and looked them up:
    All are 327 armour,
    Exquisite: +18 Will, +5 fate (65/65 tough)
    Fine: +9 Fate, +9 Agility (65/65 Normal)
    Superb: +9 Will, +5 fate (65/65 Normal)

I'm pretty sure I can make all of them. Fine Leggings would be... 8 sturdy leather, a polished ruby, and a scarred tail. I believe I have a pile of scarred tails, and can farm the leather, not sure about the ruby. That's per try (Fine Outrider's is the crit form of regular Elven Outrider's). With the tail, I believe it's about a 65% chance to crit.

Nevermind on the superb, it's a one-time use drop recipe, which I don't have

One more edit: Hit me up when you ding 35... I should have mastered Artisan tailor by then and can craft these:

http://tinyurl.com/b3m6vr

Dedian on
    edited February 2009
    I am so awesome.

Dude, yeah you are.

Edit: Also, that link isn't even trying to load for me.

Triple B on
    edited February 2009
    I am so awesome.

Dude, yeah you are.

Edit: Also, that link isn't even trying to load for me.

Weird, must be down. It's the Fine Elven Hunter's line (lvl 35):

http://lotro.mmodb.com/items/fine-elven-hunters-armour-16437.php

Anyway, send me a tell/mail in game which level 31 you want, I can probably make it pretty quick.

Dedian on
    edited February 2009
    So Dedian you are on Landrovas?

Allchuffedup on
    steam_sig.png
    allchuffedup#1671
    edited February 2009

No, he is on Landroval ;)

blindside044 on
    edited February 2009

No, he is on Landroval ;)

Quite right; Landroval, "Wide-wing," brother of Gwaihir, great Eagle of the Misty Mountains that rescued Frodo and Sam after they destroyed the One Ring (so I had to google it.. :D)

Dedian on