As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy - 'Coz we can't stick to Dissidia.

1575859606163»

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is it wrong that I actually kind of love those designs?

I mean sure, they're nothing like the Amano designs, but they're kinda cool, and I'd love to play a game with that kind of design behind it.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I never want to see those again!

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Level 27? :lol: How times change.
    The maximum level for FF1 is either 30 something or 50 (I forget...probably 50). But basically the only way to get to 50 was to fight the Eye in the Ice Cave for hours on end; he's one of the highest enemies that has a set position to be fought repeatedly and is always easy to kill.

Yeah, a friend of mine did that on my copy of the game back in the day. It was even easier if you killed off two of your dudes so that the remaining two got twice as much XP. And the cap was definitely 50.

I did the whole game with a single white mage. Killed off the other three party members right in the first fight and overleveled the whole way through, eventually getting to 50. It's surprising how easy it is once you get some of the magic items. And a white mage may even be the easiest class to do a single character challenge anyway, since you have healing and the EXIT spell.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I just unpacked the CDs for the first time in awhile and man alive.

FF:CC has basically the best soundtrack of any FF game.

It's so good it's scary.

Especially the beginning and ending tunes, and some of the melodies from the darker levels.

Absolutely, it's one of the best. I won't go quite so far as to say its better than FFX (I love the Song of Prayer), but it's amazing. Especially Wandering on a Sunny Afternoon and The Price of Freedom. The remixes of Anxious Heart, Aerith's Theme, and Fighting are awesome too. The only things it's missing are remixes of the FF7 Main Theme (unless I missed it) and a (longer) remix of Fanfare.

I was quite disappointed when I found out Ishimoto wasn't doing the FFXIII soundtrack.

In contrast, I'd have to say that FFXII is the worst soundtrack. I can't think of a single memorable tune. FFII, FFIII, and FFV were pretty weak as a whole, but at least they each have a song that made an awesome Black Mages track.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    gjaustin wrote: »
    I just unpacked the CDs for the first time in awhile and man alive.

FF:CC has basically the best soundtrack of any FF game.

It's so good it's scary.

Especially the beginning and ending tunes, and some of the melodies from the darker levels.

Absolutely, it's one of the best. I won't go quite so far as to say its better than FFX (I love the Song of Prayer), but it's amazing. Especially Wandering on a Sunny Afternoon and The Price of Freedom. The remixes of Anxious Heart, Aerith's Theme, and Fighting are awesome too. The only things it's missing are remixes of the FF7 Main Theme (unless I missed it) and a (longer) remix of Fanfare.

I was quite disappointed when I found out Ishimoto wasn't doing the FFXIII soundtrack.

In contrast, I'd have to say that FFXII is the worst soundtrack. I can't think of a single memorable tune. FFII, FFIII, and FFV were pretty weak as a whole, but at least they each have a song that made an awesome Black Mages track.

Heh, FFXII's OST is probably my favorite because it's consistently good. There's only maybe one or two tracks I don't care for. On every other OST, I have a pretty strong dislike for at least half the tracks, even though they probably have more memorable tracks (save FFX, which only had maybe 4 or 5 awesome tracks). But then, I'm a whore for Sakimoto.

edit: Who is doing FFXIII's OST?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    jagerboltjagerbolt Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    man I remember those old pics! as a kid I thought they looked pretty bad back then too. Some do a decent job, others horrible. Rydia as a fat chick? What? :x

jagerbolt on
    d89dcff329912a4f.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I didn't absolutely love FFXII's music until I got the OST and listened to it on its own for a few hours. It's very well put together, sounds a lot like Tactics (as it should). I also really disliked FFX, even its OST. The hymn of the fayth really annoyed me because you hear it so much and the people sound so stoned, but it has grown on me a little.

FF9 is still probably my favorite due to the unique character themes blending together, and just random great stuff like the world map, Dali village, and Garnet's song.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah I thought Sakimoto's work on FFXII was fantastic. But I could listen to the soundtracks for Vagrant Story, FF Tactics, and Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter all day, so I'm biased.

I recently played through FFX for the first time. A bunch of great tracks there too.

Now that I think about it, every FF I've played has at least a few really nice pieces of music. I have the FF:CC soundtrack, what are some stand-out tracks other than the theme?

Renzo on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    See, call it blasphemy but I find Sakimoto's stuff (FFT, FFTA, FFTA:2, FF12 & FF12:RW) to be cool and well-done but really just a bit boring.

The guy doing FF13 is largely unknown, but he was one of the team of three (Uematsu & two others) who did FFX. Trust me when I say he's pretty good.

The problem is he's got some tough recent competition to beat off - Uematsu's Lost Odyssey soundtrack was amazing and as good as the best of his FF stuff, and Versus is being done by Shimomura who is nothing short of phoenomenal, and it'll be great to have her working outside the shackles of Disney tunes again.

My favorite FF OST is 9. 8, 7 and 6 are all amazing, too. The others are all some of the best music to grace videogames, but 6 through 9 really shine. I think Nobuo was truly getting better with each game there. Blue Dragon was a step down for him, but Lost Odyssey's OST is just as good as 9's.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    templewulf wrote: »
    Fig-D wrote: »
    I always enjoyed how the secret summon for FF9 was an airship that transformed into a freaking Gundam in a summon animation that lasted like a minute and a half.

Even so, FF9 is probably still my favorite Final Fantasy and I would rather have a remake of it over FF7.

I find the PSX version of FF9 nearly unplayable. As mentioned earlier, the slow battle system just feels like they're trying to waste my time. There are also a few other things, like the skill system, that feel excessively grindy.

If they fix those problems, I might give it another shot. The worst part is that I got almost to the end boss in FF9, but I just didn't care enough to finish it.

The skill system you have a point but I found the battle system to be fine if you turn up the speed all the way.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    edit: Who is doing FFXIII's OST?

Masashi Hamauzu

He was one of the co-composers on FFX and Dirge.

The hymn of the fayth really annoyed me because you hear it so much and the people sound so stoned, but it has grown on me a little.

Yeah. I love it, but there's about 12 different versions (Normal, Valefor, Ifrit, Shiva, Ixion, Bahamut, Yojimbo, Magus Sisters, Anima, Yunalesca, Spira, and one other I can't think of). So I could understand not liking the OST if it rubs you wrong.

That being said, I liked a bunch of other songs on there too: Bisaid Island, Daughter of the Great Summoner, Otherworld, Attack, Splendid Performance, Challenge, and Path of Repentence, so it isn't just that.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The only song I remember liking in Final Fantasy IX was the one that played when Zidane was all depressed and everyone else was like "stop being so retarded" But it was a damn good track, so I can only assume the rest was good stuff too and I just don't remember.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    That one is You're Not Alone, and arguably the best track Nobuo has written, but FF9 just overall has amazing work. It's the biggest soundtrack, and I love how several vital themes bleed through the entire game into every track. He experimented with this in 6, 7 and a lot in 8, but in 9 the idea finally matures, the the music becomes a lot less like game music and more like film music.

APZonerunner on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I really liked Kuja's theme I think that was it...especially the first time it's played at the end of Disc 1...I thought it really fit the scene.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Renzo wrote: »
    Yeah I thought Sakimoto's work on FFXII was fantastic. But I could listen to the soundtracks for Vagrant Story, FF Tactics, and Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter all day, so I'm biased.

I recently played through FFX for the first time. A bunch of great tracks there too.

Now that I think about it, every FF I've played has at least a few really nice pieces of music. I have the FF:CC soundtrack, what are some stand-out tracks other than the theme?

Original
    Wandering on a Sunny Afternoon
    Night of Seclusion
    A Beating Black Wing
    Those Who Accept the Protection of the Stars
    Price of Freedom

Remixes
    On the Verge of Assault (Fighting)
    A Closed Off Village (Anxious Heart)
    The World's Enemy (One-Winged Angel)

gjaustin on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Javen wrote: »
    templewulf wrote: »
    Fig-D wrote: »
    I always enjoyed how the secret summon for FF9 was an airship that transformed into a freaking Gundam in a summon animation that lasted like a minute and a half.

Even so, FF9 is probably still my favorite Final Fantasy and I would rather have a remake of it over FF7.

I find the PSX version of FF9 nearly unplayable. As mentioned earlier, the slow battle system just feels like they're trying to waste my time. There are also a few other things, like the skill system, that feel excessively grindy.

If they fix those problems, I might give it another shot. The worst part is that I got almost to the end boss in FF9, but I just didn't care enough to finish it.

The skill system you have a point but I found the battle system to be fine if you turn up the speed all the way.

I had it up all the way, but I still found it to be unbearably slow. I think increasing the ATB speed even further and/or adding an auto-attack option as in Shin Megami Tensei 3 or FFIVDS would help out a lot. In a way, it was the opposite of FFX-2. The gameplay bored me to tears, but everything else about it (especially the soundtrack) was pretty good.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    100 pages. Should I make a new thread?

APZonerunner on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yes. With a witty title, post haste.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited February 2009
    Awesome! Hamauzu was my favorite composer on the FFX OST, iirc.

I look forward to hearing something other than that same very Uematsu-sounding track that has played in the trailers.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Awesome! Hamauzu was my favorite composer on the FFX OST, iirc.

I look forward to hearing something other than that same very Uematsu-sounding track that has played in the trailers.

Uematsu is doing the main theme, so it might sound like his work for a reason :)

gjaustin on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    While on the discussion of musical themes; I think my favorite composition in the entire series is the long piece that plays at the end of FF6, the one where everyone's individual character themes are woven together. I could watch those closing credits all day long. <3

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    While on the discussion of musical themes; I think my favorite composition in the entire series is the long piece that plays at the end of FF6, the one where everyone's individual character themes are woven together. I could watch those closing credits all day long. <3

When I was a kid, I would do exactly that. When I was bored, I'd load up my save, beat the game, and watch the ending (35 minutes!)

I never did save Shadow though, so I'm not sure what his ending was. I always just got his head looking over his home town.

I always assumed endings would get better and better as games as a medium aged, but this doesn't seem to be the case :(

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    100 pages. Should I make a new thread?

I was kind of hoping to have that privilege. :|

If you at least add links to my FF blog posts, I'd be satisfied. I still have to make a new post with the latest FFXIII info.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Feel free. I don't mind, I haven't started yet and I was only offering as I get news a bit earlier than others usually :)

APZonerunner on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    No, you go ahead, I'll get the next one. I still haven't written a new FFXIII article on my blog, and I've got three games I have to balance around to review in the coming weeks. Oh yeah, there's school too.

• Options
    edited February 2009
    Honestly! Take it! I'm kinda busy at the minute doing a favor for a friend anyway. If you decide not to do it I'll pick it up later, but if you're free now feel free. I have no doubt you'll make a better job of it than me anyway.

APZonerunner on
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Just somebody do it!

Anyhoo, replaying Crisis Core. :)

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    If you're willing to wait until late tonight, I'll do it.

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Whomever does the new OP, I humbly suggest it include the NP FFIV artwork.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Okay, just got back from class. I'll get working on the new thread, should have it done within the next hour.
    Or three....

• Options
    DoctorGateuxDoctorGateux Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Okay, just got back from class. I'll get working on the new thread, should have it done within the next hour.
    Or three....

Any OP not-by-me will be a pleasure to read. :lol:

DoctorGateux on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009