As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4E Discussion] This thread is dead.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    It may be a Defender/Striker in the way the paladin is a Defender/Leader.

Hurrah for grid-breaking.
    I'm pretty sure all the Divine classes will lean towards Defender.

They very easily could not do so.

A controller/striker combo would be pretty easy. A divine version of the warlock.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's powers are that for a defender. It shuts down and prevents the movement of a single enemy. So it's a defender, a defender that likes to fight by himself.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Shaman is on the scene!

As expected he's very Leadery. Very. Whoa damn that's some nice healing. I think the Shaman sits about the same level the Cleric does in terms of raw HP returned, but he spreads it around a LOT more via his spirit companion.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The spirit OAs will need to be re-written since its not an Opportunity Attack specifically. It triggers when it leaves the square not when the enemies move and while Opp attacks can't trigger on forced movement, iirc there is no rule that says that Opportunity Actions cannot. That means it triggers when friendlies push or pull enemies out of the area in the same way that you can push someone into a stinking cloud.

Haunting Spirit is really good. Like, encounter power good. Its range is the only thing from keeping it sane.

Blessing of the Seven Winds is a power i would want on a controller... Encounter long AoE Slide 1 as a minor action with no attack roll? Yes please i want that.

IIRC as written, Spirit of the Healing Flood makes your party invulnerable

Lightning Panther Spirit seems to make reference to an ability that doesn't exist. The difficult terrain is not referenced anywhere else and if your spirit creates difficult terrain as it claims, then this leader is probably a better controller than most controllers

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    IIRC as written, Spirit of the Healing Flood makes your party invulnerable

While bloodied only. Regeneration 2 is good (especially to everyone in the burst) but it's not going to compensate the tide of damage the party will take in a hard encounter.

I have no idea what Lightning Panther Spirit is referring to as it's not stated anywhere else. Once again, ala Invoker, it's impossible to tell what some of these class features etc actually do.

Edit: Given the low HP of the spirit (10 + 1/2 level) and that I have no idea what its defenses might be (probably the same as the character playing it?) I am unsure about this class. If the spirit has the same HP as the caster, it may be possible to whack a mole it constantly dealing damage to the spirit shaman if he's not careful. This probably means putting the spirit in the front or using it as a "controller" would be a terrible idea, because with such low HP you're going to get damaged and have to put it back a lot. I can already see creatures that are going to absolutely ruin the shamans day.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    ButtonsButtons Dolt SweedeelandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hey, hey guys!

Less of this shaman blah blah blah and more omfg the wizard summoner in the ampersand column looks excellent!!!! Oh and if you were wanting to know how the summoning keyword works it tells you that too!!

And this part got me very excited!

"Use the Tome of Binding form of Arcane Implement Mastery, since it improves your summoning spells."

I always thought tomes would be a great implement for wizards! Also the fact that summoning wizards secondary stat is CON and when the creature is destroyed they lose a healing surge.... make for an interesting mechanic.

Buttons

Buttons on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It may be a Defender/Striker in the way the paladin is a Defender/Leader.

Hurrah for grid-breaking.
    I'm pretty sure all the Divine classes will lean towards Defender.

They very easily could not do so.

A controller/striker combo would be pretty easy. A divine version of the warlock.

One of the Druid setups is stated to act more like a Controller/Striker, while the other is more like a Controller/Leader

Maddoc on
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I have no idea what Lightning Panther Spirit is referring to as it's not stated anywhere else. Once again, ala Invoker, it's impossible to tell what some of these class features etc actually do.
    It's referring to difficult terrain. Like, the terrain type. If you stick your spirit on some rubble or something, and use LPS, allies can treat your spirit and adjacent squares as normal terrain. It's situational, but has the ability to be really handy, especially with minor action shifting.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Who wants to play some DnD?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwxtNOkGLBU&NR=1

"But if we don't kill nature, how will we build our houses?"

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    ThemindtakerThemindtaker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    crap! I didn't bring my iPhone charger to work today and I'm having to be judicious with use (hovering just below 50% currently) so no shaman preview for me until tonight. I'm super excited for the class though; my cleric's been running into some rough spots lately, and as an Elf I always figured he'd be better suited to a more Fey form of healing...loss of faith, Primal powers here I come.

Also, somewhat unrelatedly, do we have an Obsidian Portal directory set up for PA forumers yet?

Themindtaker on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    "But if we don't kill nature, how will we build our houses?"

That was pretty hilarious.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It's powers are that for a defender. It shuts down and prevents the movement of a single enemy. So it's a defender, a defender that likes to fight by himself.

Isn't that how Paladins work out, aside from their Leader abilities?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Okay, I hate those fake-combat larpy things, but I have to admit: that beholder was BAD ASS.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    Ultra ViresUltra Vires Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That game looks like the culmination of a lot of effort.

Ultra Vires on
    PASchaefer
    Playing Regularly: D&D 4E "Iomandra Campaign", "Rise of the Runelords", "Custom Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil", [DMing] "Upheaval"; Team Fortress 2.
  • Options
    Prester JohnPrester John Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

No way that was real; there were girls.

Prester John on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

No way that was real; there were girls.

The one time I went LARPing there were girls. The DM wore a cup because of her enthusiasm.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Not exactly, the Avenger has to literally fight by himself in the middle of nowhere to get benefits from his class features (he can't have allies adjacent). He's quite literally the character who steps forth and challenges the big nasty dragon to a 1 on 1 fight to the death sort of thing.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So he's the Small Penis class.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sounds like a fun guy to have around for solo fights.

Oh wait.

Maticore on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Not exactly, the Avenger has to literally fight by himself in the middle of nowhere to get benefits from his class features (he can't have allies adjacent). He's quite literally the character who steps forth and challenges the big nasty dragon to a 1 on 1 fight to the death sort of thing.
    He can have allies adjacent, just not other enemies. And he might be defender-ish, but I'm pretty sure he's still a striker, with the double rolls on attacks and extra damage if the enemy moves away. Somebody on ENworld ran the numbers and with a decently-sized die, his average at-will damage isn't much lower than Twin Strike.

EDIT: But his "Oath" doesn't override defender marks, so he's completely compatible with paladins and the like.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I am almost going to kill maptools at this stage. There is utterly no logical reason why it doesn't work.

And yet it doesn't.

Ports are forwarded correctly.

I have the correct static IP now (I literally forced it).

Nothing at all is different from last time.

Except it doesn't fucking work.

It.

Is.

Driving.

Me.

Insane.

Edit: WAIT! Despair at being defeated may have been premature!

Edit2: I HAVE TURNED DEFEAT INTO VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111111111

So help me God if anyone touches this router I will kill them.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    MapTools is going to be Microsofted by DDI's Apple!

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    MapTools is going to be Microsofted by DDI's Apple!
    It's going to... retain an 90% market share? Be overwhelmingly used by corporations? Have snarky commercials anthropormorphizing it and DDI? I'm not sure what you're saying here.
    I think the 360 and the Phantom may be a better comparison, honestly-- failure rate vs. possible vaporware.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I was going with something people could recognize. :P

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sacrificing relevance for recognition? You should write for Family Guy.

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • Options
    Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have a quick question - was there any ever clarification posted on how Multiclassing at Paragon level was dealt with? The main rules book is very sketchy on it, and there seem to be a lot of mistakes. Like not being able to use some powers that you get depending on the second class you've taken - Multiclass Warlocks not getting the Curse or the +damage ability limiting the powers that are useful to them, and the benefit of a Pact, for example, while other Strikers DO get the +damage ability.

Kay2 on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Kay wrote: »
    I have a quick question - was there any ever clarification posted on how Multiclassing at Paragon level was dealt with? The main rules book is very sketchy on it, and there seem to be a lot of mistakes. Like not being able to use some powers that you get depending on the second class you've taken - Multiclass Warlocks not getting the Curse or the +damage ability limiting the powers that are useful to them, and the benefit of a Pact, for example, while other Strikers DO get the +damage ability.
    I am almost entirely sure we'll see a multiclass feat that grants Warlock Curse 1/day in Arcane Power instead of Eldritch Blast.

That said, some multiclass options are a bit less awesome than others. With Ranger multiclass, for example, players couldn't meet the requirements for any Ranger prestige paths pre-MP.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I am almost entirely sure we'll see a multiclass feat that grants Warlock Curse 1/day in Arcane Power instead of Eldritch Blast.

That said, some multiclass options are a bit less awesome than others. With Ranger multiclass, for example, players couldn't meet the requirements for any Ranger prestige paths pre-MP.

Because they can't take the fighting styles, right.

You can take Warlock Prestige Classes as a Multiclass Warlock, but you can't -do- anything with them, because you lack the Curse. I'm trying to work out houserulings with my DM (as in, if you Paragon Warlock rather than either set of prestige classes - the true Multiclass thing I'm talking about - you get some of the base Warlock powers in place for the base Paragon Path powers, like Warlock Curses, for example).

Kay2 on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Maddoc wrote: »

I'd also expect some feats like the ones in MP that give out class abilities, the curses amongst them.

And hopefully you'll be able to pick those up along with a PP, unlike the feats in MP that require Paragon Multiclassing. Being locked out of your Paragon Path abilities because you can't curse hurts.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Damn. Are the previews really coming that fast and furious (Avenger and Druid now)?

I may finally have to sign up for DDI after putting it off this long. I'm a preview whore, and the Character Builder is looking pretty awesome now that I'm starting a couple new campaigns.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Damn. Are the previews really coming that fast and furious (Avenger and Druid now)?

I may finally have to sign up for DDI after putting it off this long. I'm a preview whore, and the Character Builder is looking pretty awesome now that I'm starting a couple new campaigns.
    Well, you'll only have to wait a month now for PHBII, so subscribing for the previews alone probably isn't the best idea (and the Avenger hasn't even been previewed, we know about it from the DDXP sheets). The Character builder is pretty darn slick, though, and I love the Compendium.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I was really impressed with the character builder beta, and when Dragon and Dungeon were free for three or four months, I gobbled up the articles. The subscription is cheap, I may pick it up for myself come Summer.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Is there any way to export character builder files so that they can be saved and posted elsewhere, or do they just print?

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited February 2009
    Is there any way to export character builder files so that they can be saved and posted elsewhere, or do they just print?

You can take the save files and open them on anyone's character builder (had to send a friend's file to him because he forgot what feats he had) but I'm pretty sure they're a unique filetype.

Alternatively, you could probably (I havent tried it) print your character sheets using a Print-to-file application like cutePDF (It's a program that shows up as a printing device that'll just save whatever you're printing as a pdf when you send it there, instead of actually printing a hard copy. it's freeware. we use it at my work, so i'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's legit) and then it'd be in a universally viewable format.

Themindtaker on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Gotta say, that Character Builder is pretty dang convenient.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009

You can take the save files and open them on anyone's character builder (had to send a friend's file to him because he forgot what feats he had) but I'm pretty sure they're a unique filetype.

Alternatively, you could probably (I havent tried it) print your character sheets using a Print-to-file application like cutePDF (It's a program that shows up as a printing device that'll just save whatever you're printing as a pdf when you send it there, instead of actually printing a hard copy. it's freeware. we use it at my work, so i'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's legit) and then it'd be in a universally viewable format.
    Ok, thanks. I'm familiar with print-to-file programs, but not having the creator I wasn't sure how well they worked for this sort of thing.

We have a campaign wiki to keep track of everything and do recaps and such. Being able to upload my character files to it would be great.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited February 2009
    Yeah like I said, I havent tried it, but I have printed out hard copies of a few character sheets and there wasn't anything goofy on them (watermarks, etc.) so I would think that a print-to-file would work, no problema.

Themindtaker on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Quick note on this; the PDF file format is now an ISO standard for document interchange and as such the specifications for the format are publicly available from the ISO themselves (for a modest fee of course), so anyone can buy a copy and create software that either produces, reads or otherwise manipulates PDFs. This does also mean that Adobe no longer holds the format by the balls and cant' make random changes just to piss of their competitors any more.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Quick note on this; the PDF file format is now an ISO standard for document interchange and as such the specifications for the format are publicly available from the ISO themselves (for a modest fee of course), so anyone can buy a copy and create software that either produces, reads or otherwise manipulates PDFs. This does also mean that Adobe no longer holds the format by the balls and cant' make random changes just to piss of their competitors any more.

I just meant that it's not likely to secretly rape your computer (y'know, rear-entry style).

But that's also very good news.

Themindtaker on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So, I posed this question on the official boards but the response hasn't been overwhelming;

What's the best (in your opinion) manifestation for a Genesai Taclord? I'm going with Extra Manifestation for story reasons, but I'm curious as to what others think on this.

I'm leaning towards Earth and Water for their powers and save bonuses. I'd kind of like one of the more aggressive ones for the same story reasons cited above, though.

Anybody care to make a case for Fire or Storm?

OptimusZed on