As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chrono Trigger] The black wind howls...

• NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Jean wrote: »
    You guys are doing it wrong. You need to find the red vest chest in 600ad, then charge it up so when you open it up in 1000ad you get the red mail.

True that, but the guy said he had sold all his previous armors so I gave him another option. I assumed the red mail/vest were among the items he had sold.

My bad, i missed that.

I thikn the ultimate accessory for crono is the 80% counterattack band combined with the dreamseeker sword (the new one that's 90% critical). The final lavos form is ridiculous because anytime he does nearly anything, crono hits right back with a critical hit.

NickTheNewbie on
  • The Last GentThe Last Gent Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So to clarify that, what do you mean "escape" the black omen? Use the Nu, or like...run from Lavos or something? (I'm not there yet but now I'm decidedly curious).

The Last Gent on
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You guys are doing it wrong. You need to find the red vest chest in 600ad, then charge it up so when you open it up in 1000ad you get the red mail.

True that, but the guy said he had sold all his previous armors so I gave him another option. I assumed the red mail/vest were among the items he had sold.

My bad, i missed that.

I thikn the ultimate accessory for crono is the 80% counterattack band combined with the dreamseeker sword (the new one that's 90% critical). The final lavos form is ridiculous because anytime he does nearly anything, crono hits right back with a critical hit.

Yeah, I took those counter attack things away because I found them annoying. Crono would keep counter-attacking and I never got a chance to input any commands. Before you knew it the battle would be over.

What is the accessory that cuts your MP use? And how do I procure one? Because I wants it.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
    edited February 2009

My bad, i missed that.

Yeah, I took those counter attack things away because I found them annoying. Crono would keep counter-attacking and I never got a chance to input any commands. Before you knew it the battle would be over.

What is the accessory that cuts your MP use? And how do I procure one? Because I wants it.

Silver stud cuts mp costs by 50%, gold by 75%. Silver is in the denadoro mountains, gold is behind a sealed door in trann dome.

NickTheNewbie on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So to clarify that, what do you mean "escape" the black omen? Use the Nu, or like...run from Lavos or something? (I'm not there yet but now I'm decidedly curious).
    A bit inside the black omen (guessing about 1/4th the way through) you'll come across a pair of Nu. One will sell you stuff (not armor or weapons IIRC but restorative items) the other offers to let you escape. If you say yes, it'll teleport you back to the Epoch rather then running through the Black Omen back to the start.

It's an escape route for people like younger me who saw a giant floaty thing in the sky and decided to attack it way earlier then was wise.

see317 on
    edited February 2009
    Hey so i started a new game+ and lost all my gold. What's up with that?

NickTheNewbie on
    edited February 2009
    see317 wrote: »
    A bit inside the black omen (guessing about 1/4th the way through) you'll come across a pair of Nu. One will sell you stuff (not armor or weapons IIRC but restorative items) the other offers to let you escape. If you say yes, it'll teleport you back to the Epoch rather then running through the Black Omen back to the start.

It's an escape route for people like younger me who saw a giant floaty thing in the sky and decided to attack it way earlier then was wise.

Wait, I got the impression that you could find all the way through
    Queen Zeal and the Mammon machine
    and then high-tail it out of there before fighting Lavos.

Cameron_Talley on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    First time running through this game and I have to say I'm enjoying it a little bit. My issue is the "random" battles aren't really random. Kinda wish they were more random, but I guess I can deal with it.

Some of the Dual Techs are kinda useless right now, but I'm not very far so that might be the issue.

urahonky on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The best thing about Chrono Trigger is that the battles aren't really all that random! Fuck totally random battles! I like being able to see my enemies and be able to choose to battle them or sneak around them! And when I do enter a battle, I know I'm fighting an enemy because he's there, not because the game rolled a dice and decided it happened to be time to fight something!

slash000 on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    see317 wrote: »

Wait, I got the impression that you could find all the way through
    Queen Zeal and the Mammon machine
    and then high-tail it out of there before fighting Lavos.
    Nope... well, sortof.
    You can fight it all the way through the BO and fight Zeal in her 2 forms, then she summons Lavos and you have to fight his first form. It's a boss rush where Lavos will take the abilities of most of the bosses throughout the game, forming bits to simulate extra boss pieces when neccesary. After the boss rush, Lavos's head/mouth thing will fall off leaving an entrance. Inside, you'll find a time gate to go back to the End of Time, or you can continue to fight the second and third lavos forms.

see317 on
    edited February 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    First time running through this game and I have to say I'm enjoying it a little bit. My issue is the "random" battles aren't really random. Kinda wish they were more random, but I guess I can deal with it.

Some of the Dual Techs are kinda useless right now, but I'm not very far so that might be the issue.

This is the first RPG I've played where the battles aren't random, and it took me a hell of a long time to get used to the fact that I don't have to wander around the over world with this tense feeling of "I'm going to get attacked at any moment!" I've discovered I rather like it, and I imagine when I finish CT and go back to FFVI I will be rather annoyed.

Cameron_Talley on
    edited February 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    The best thing about Chrono Trigger is that the battles aren't really all that random! Fuck totally random battles! I like being able to see my enemies and be able to choose to battle them or sneak around them! And when I do enter a battle, I know I'm fighting an enemy because he's there, not because the game rolled a dice and decided it happened to be time to fight something!

Eh, but sometimes you can't see them because they "jump" out of the bushes or whatever. But it happens every time, and your guys move to the same position as well as the enemies. It makes it feel like a very static game. Especially considering some moves are area attacks. If the monsters/players were randomly placed each time I'd love it.

e: I love random battles, and hate being able to see the enemy, personally.

urahonky on
    edited February 2009
    slash000 wrote: »

Eh, but sometimes you can't see them because they "jump" out of the bushes or whatever. But it happens every time, and your guys move to the same position as well as the enemies. It makes it feel like a very static game. Especially considering some moves are area attacks. If the monsters/players were randomly placed each time I'd love it.

Oh, right, yes, it's not completely un-random; there are instances where you'll pass some area and unseen enemies will come onscreen and attack. That's what I meant by not completely random; a good number of battles you have enemies there that you can sneak by or choose to attack. I love that. I guess you could say that the mix of avoidable seeable enemies and ambushing enemies better appeals to me than totally random battles, in which you'll be walking along some area and instantaneously go into battle mode.
    e: I love random battles, and hate being able to see the enemy, personally.

It's all really a preference thing of course

slash000 on
    edited February 2009
    Makes grinding much more manageable when it's random encounters. :P

urahonky on
    edited February 2009

Yeah, but the whole point is you shouldn't need to grind. I'm near the end of the game and haven't had to grind at all yet.

Unless you just want to max out your stats and become *invincible.*

Cameron_Talley on
    edited February 2009

Yeah, but the whole point is you shouldn't need to grind. I'm near the end of the game and haven't had to grind at all yet.

Unless you just want to max out your stats and become *invincible.*

I like feeling powerful in video games, I don't want to get by with the skin on my teeth.

urahonky on
    edited February 2009
    I didn't need to grind at all during my first playthrough. Typically I'd battle enemies that I found along the way. But sometimes there's be instances where I was at some area that I had already been, and I needed to get to the other side of the area, and I just didn't want or need to battle anything. So instead I would sneak by the enemies to get to the door/room/area/item/character on the other side without wasting time on battles in between.

Indeed, in some areas, if battles were forced, they really would be a waste of time, as you would be strong enough by that time that the resulting XP from the battle is too small to have been worth the battle in the first place.

edit: My thing of just battling what's there the first time I encounter and moving on, I ended up with characters that were easily powerful enough to destroy Lavos by the end. 2 characters had about 960 hp, and one character had 999.

slash000 on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    One nice thing about CT is that like certain FF games of that era, you can drastically increase the difficulty by using Active instead of Wait.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Isn't Active the default? I could have sworn Wait was loser mode for losers.

Elendil on
    edited February 2009
    Active is the default. You have to switch into Wait in the options to use that. In other words, if you want to take your sweet time flipping through menus without worrying about enemies beating your ass in the meantime, then you can use Wait. But Active is the real way to play the game :P

slash000 on
    edited February 2009
    I find it's damn near impossible to beat later spekkio forms when you have active enabled. The sheer act of scrolling through the tech list is a huge handicap. Plus, if i'm playing it while running on the treadmill, it's hard to read the screen so i need wait!

NickTheNewbie on
    edited February 2009
    I find it's damn near impossible to beat later spekkio forms when you have active enabled. The sheer act of scrolling through the tech list is a huge handicap. Plus, if i'm playing it while running on the treadmill, it's hard to read the screen so i need wait!

What do you get for beating him, anyway? I tried twice on two different forms but decided I didn't really care....

Cameron_Talley on
    edited February 2009

Damn good idea Nick. I was just about to go run on the treadmill and nothing's on TV that I can put on... But CT would be a great idea!

urahonky on
    edited February 2009

What do you get for beating him, anyway? I tried twice on two different forms but decided I didn't really care....

Different stuff depending on which form, but it amounts to a bunch of tabs and potions. You can only get the reward for each form once per game, though.

Damn good idea Nick. I was just about to go run on the treadmill and nothing's on TV that I can put on... But CT would be a great idea!

Luckily for me, futurama or south park is on whenever i go running. On the off chance that they aren't on, or there's a shitty episode, i need some more RPGs like chrono trigger (i.e. ones that don't suck) so i have something to play while running.

NickTheNewbie on
  • JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm grinding right now.. but only because I want Ayla's last fist :lol:

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
    edited February 2009

Different stuff depending on which form, but it amounts to a bunch of tabs and potions. You can only get the reward for each form once per game, though.

Luckily for me, futurama or south park is on whenever i go running. On the off chance that they aren't on, or there's a shitty episode, i need some more RPGs like chrono trigger (i.e. ones that don't suck) so i have something to play while running.

Haha just tried it, but only made it about 15 minutes till my back started killing me. :P

urahonky on
    edited February 2009
    whoops, yeah i had a little bit of that, too. I tried holding it up higher and that straightened my back out some. Maybe it's not as practical as originally thought...

NickTheNewbie on
    edited February 2009
    This is why I want to use an exercise bike. :)

urahonky on
    edited February 2009
    Alright, so I just:
    Beat the Black Omen in 1000 AD and then warped out of there. I'm debating whether or not to go through the other two Black Omens and pump myself up or just go for it. My guys (Crono, Frog, and Ayla) are at about lvl 51 and I found most of the Omen really really easy. Will I break the game if I go through the other two BOs?

And damn this game is awesome. :D

Cameron_Talley on
    edited February 2009
    Alright, so I just:
    Beat the Black Omen in 1000 AD and then warped out of there. I'm debating whether or not to go through the other two Black Omens and pump myself up or just go for it. My guys (Crono, Frog, and Ayla) are at about lvl 51 and I found most of the Omen really really easy. Will I break the game if I go through the other two BOs?

And damn this game is awesome. :D

Not game breaking, in fact all the mutant bosses won't even be there. There are some capsules and megaelixirs you can charm out of people, though. The heckran looking enemy gives you i think a strength tab every time you charm him, and every form of zeal gives you a megaelixer.

This is why I want to use an exercise bike. :)

Holy shit good idea.

NickTheNewbie on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The main advantage gleaned from redoing the Black Omen are the Prism Helm/Dresses that can be charmed from the boss.

Elendil on
    edited February 2009
    Not to mention all the speed/magic/STR tabs you can pick up

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
    edited February 2009
    Hey so i started a new game+ and lost all my gold. What's up with that?

bueller?

NickTheNewbie on
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You lose all your gold when you start a new game. So it's smarter to just dump it all into items. If you cleared the Lost Sanctums, there's a shop where you can buy the super-powerful healing items.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wow... uhhh... I kept reading about how the bonus dungeons are bad, but I figured more Chrono Trigger can never be a BAD thing... Jesus, was I ever wrong. The Lost Sanctum is probably one of the worst video game dungeons I've ever played. I think I'll just skip all the bonus content entirely, excluding the new ending... Wow.

It reminds me way too much of the incredibly lazy Starcraft maps I used to play where they use trees and other repeated doodads as walls, making the map into the most unnatural looking thing imaginable.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well, bad parts of Chrono Trigger are still better than a lot of other games out there.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
    edited February 2009
    So I'm finally getting close to 100%'ing everything

Only 3 ennemies missing in the bestiary
    and all I miss in the encyclopedia is Ayla's last fist and the arena only prizes

Ayla LV 94
    Crono LV 93
    Lucca LV 92
    Robo LV 87
    Marle LV 87
    Frog LV 87

Jean on
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The only thing I don't like is the new dialog. Its so ... bland.

parabola on
    edited February 2009
    parabola wrote: »

Having never played the original, I find the new translation to be just fine. What's bland about it?

Cameron_Talley on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    parabola wrote: »

This is a criticism that also applied fairly well to the original translation, all nostalgia aside.

Xagarath on