As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My 360 is cracking discs (Update 4: Corporate response: )

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Seeks wrote: »
    MS should pat themselves on the back. I was dead set on getting a 360 until I read this thread.

Congrats Microsoft, you just earned Sony my business.

For all the shit the PS3 gets, at least it doesn't fall apart if you break wind.

I've had a factory reconditioned PS3 60 gig and haven't had a single problem with it for a year and a half. The thing is build like a brick shithouse and the heatsinks blaze away, keeping the innards nice and cool. It's like having a semi truck for a game console.

Then I read threads about how people go through three, four, FIVE X-Boxes in a year and I think to myself, how the hell can Microsoft afford this kind of shoddy workmanship?

XBox 360 has lots of good games, I'm not saying it doesn't. But at least Sony is committed to providing you a product that actually works.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Seeks wrote: »
    MS should pat themselves on the back. I was dead set on getting a 360 until I read this thread.

Congrats Microsoft, you just earned Sony my business.

Three years after launch and you're still on the fence?

They're really gonna feel the sting of you continuing to not give them money.

xzzy on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    My brother is on his 5th or sixth xbox as of 2 days ago. 2nd one in a row that suddenly stopped reading discs.

He originally bought it in late 2006. His warranty has been perpetually renewed by it breaking so much.

FyreWulff on
    edited February 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    My brother is on his 5th or sixth xbox as of 2 days ago. 2nd one in a row that suddenly stopped reading discs.

He originally bought it in late 2006. His warranty has been perpetually renewed by it breaking so much.

I'm up to number 5, but all of them have been red rings.

xzzy on
  • NastymanNastyman Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    my gmail account has been getting blocked by spam filters lately. just a thought...

Nastyman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2009
    xzzy wrote: »

I'm up to number 5, but all of them have been red rings.

I think his was RROD->Graphics card all red->RROD->not reading discs->not reading discs -> current one

FyreWulff on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    See? What the fuck? From the Nintendo Entertainment System up through the current Wii, PS3, X360 generation, how many game consoles in the past have required you to replace your system FIVE times? Not once, not twice, but five, and this is happening to people on this very forum.

You have my sympathy guys, you really do.

You'd probably be better off waiting four or five years until PC's can emulate X360 games well like this generation of comupters can with all old games through the PS2 era.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I still have one of the original 360s that has never broken or failed in any way - it's the only one that I've bought. I'm really relieved that this year looks promising for the Wii, since I expect the 360 to break at any moment, and I certainly don't have the money to get a new one.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, MS customer support has put me off of ever buying another piece of hardware from them. Not their products - their support. I can understand that their hardware, at least the early versions, are universally complete and total shit; you just don't buy them, and wait for the kinks to get worked out. I'm fine with that. What I am NOT fine with is being interrogated like a terrorist when their shitty hardware innevitably kicks the bucked, ESPECIALLY when it's dead right out of the box like my hard drive was.

The functionality of the software is awesome and the price is finally right, but all in all just about everythingabout the device itself and the support behind it seems to have been specifically designed to give everyone who bought it the middle finger.

JihadJesus on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    greeble wrote: »
    *shrug* I have the PS3 version and have no complaints other than not being able to delete individual songs. I'd certainly take that over 480p graphics, sd cards and dolby pro logic. (Another plus is with the ps3 you can download your songs on to 5 different ps3s so it makes it easier to fill out your collection with help from a friend, and the wii version can't buy song packs I believe)

But yeah, I can understand about disliking the lack the BC, at least the wii can play game cube games. (I'm actually tempeted to get a wii largely so I can have my gamecube games in 480p again... gamecube component cables are sooo hard to find for a decent price)

You really care about graphics in a game where it's all based on music? :P

e: Wish I could help FyreWulff. Maybe we could start donations for you to get you another 360? :)

urahonky on
    edited February 2009
    Well, on the plus side, I'll try to get Gamestop to reprint my Rock Band 2 receipt and I can get that replaced (just called EA)

FyreWulff on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    You really care about graphics in a game where it's all based on music? :P
    Yeah I didn't think it would be a big deal at all either. But after trying GHWT on my friends wii I really wouldn't want to play it that way. I guess I got spoiled. (Also the lyrics were kinda hard to read, but that was probably Guitar Heroes fault and not so much the resolution)

I think it would be ok to play 480p games, I just wouldn't want to play them after being used to playing them in 720p. Same thing happened with my gamecube. I pretty much stopped playing it when my vga cord crapped out and everything was in 480i again. Once I'd gotten used to it I couldn't stand how blurry it looked. I guess I'm just a graphics snob.

Sorry I didn't mean to turn this into a ps3 thing.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well, on the plus side, I'll try to get Gamestop to reprint my Rock Band 2 receipt and I can get that replaced (just called EA)

Should you recontact consumerist with all the latest info of your rejections, and your decision to ditch microsoft? I bet they'd love to update your story

NickTheNewbie on
    edited February 2009
    Well, they just called me back due to the emails.

With only offering to replace Fable 2 and Halo 3 for 20$ each.

Basically just as much help as before with the outsourced guys.

:facepalm:

FyreWulff on
  • NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That dude earlier gave you Steve Ballmer's phone number. It's a Washington area code, so I assume it's legit. Why don't you try it?

NeuralFizz on
    edited February 2009
    See? What the fuck? From the Nintendo Entertainment System up through the current Wii, PS3, X360 generation, how many game consoles in the past have required you to replace your system FIVE times? Not once, not twice, but five, and this is happening to people on this very forum.

Microsoft rushed out the door to launch the 360 and it wasn't ready. Secondly, they had to cut a profit this time around and it resulted in a lot of shortcuts in the design that came around to bite them.

The oxbox was built like a tank. There was some DVD drive issues early on but they were resolved pretty quickly and the problems had nowhere near the volume of complaints that the 360 has had. So it's not like Microsoft is incapable of selling good hardware.. they're just incapable of selling good hardware for a profit.

So it was a mix of market demands, Microsoft feeling invincible, and untested engineering (which the 360 was loaded with at the time of launch).

Nintendo avoids these problems by pacing a little slower and staying off the bleeding edge. Sony probably does well because they were a hardware company first, so they know how to build electronics.

I don't regret having a 360, its game library interests me far more than for any other console, even though it is frustrating at times. Even with that in its favor, I do know I'm not spending money for another 360.. the only reason I still have a functioning 360 is because repairs have not yet cost me anything. As soon as I have to pay some cash, goodbye 360 (and I won't buy a PS3 or Wii to replace it).

xzzy on
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sony probably does well because they were a hardware company first, so they know how to build electronics.

Didn't the non-Slim PS2 and original PS have reputations for unreliability?

Orogogus on
    edited February 2009
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Sony probably does well because they were a hardware company first, so they know how to build electronics.

Didn't the non-Slim PS2 and original PS have reputations for unreliability?

I seem to recall some complaints about the disc drives, but I don't remember any details.

xzzy on
  • martymarty Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I had issues with my laptop overheating and wrote a stiff letter to Dell and mentioned in my letter "Sales of Good Act" and other key pieces of legislation and "small claims court" and "renumeration expenses"- basically legal gobbledegook. A week later, Dell calls up and would like to gimme a computer- free of charge. I don't know how big of assholes corporates are in the US, but thats how we roll in the UK- WITH A MOFUCKIN PEN YO

But yeah, write a letter with a similar concept to mine, first class, registered so you can be sure they read it.

marty on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fat PS2 was prone to disc read errors, most commonly with the Blue backed discs.

But, from what I can tell, it was no where near as common as the RROD.

Sir Platypus on
  • martymarty Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    marty wrote: »
    I had issues with my laptop overheating and wrote a stiff letter to Dell and mentioned in my letter "Sales of Good Act" and other key pieces of legislation and "small claims court" and "renumeration expenses"- basically legal gobbledegook. A week later, Dell calls up and would like to gimme a computer- free of charge. I don't know how big of assholes corporates are in the US, but thats how we roll in the UK- WITH A MOFUCKIN PEN YO

But yeah, write a letter with a similar concept to mine, first class, registered so you can be sure they read it.

quotin' in case anyone missed

marty on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited February 2009

Consumers don't have anywhere near the level of protection in the US that they have in the UK.

Quite nearly the only recourse we have is public censure, and civil suits. If you can't raise a stink in public, or bring about an expensive lawsuit, it's pretty much a certainty you won't get satisfaction.

xzzy on
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fat PS2 was prone to disc read errors, most commonly with the Blue backed discs.

Hence why I've stuck with Sony, especially after the numerous problems I've had with various Windows software in the past... (and before you say it, yes I KNOW the 360 doesn't use Windows, but they're both Microsoft, and both seemingly full of bugs and faults, so I stand by my decision.)

Sony just seems to be more reliable. I'm still on my first PS3 after nearly 2 years, only on my second PS2 since I bought one in 2000 (the first seemed to have some fatal screw-up within the bootup sequence, meaning it didn't actually do anything whatsoever - I think that broke back in about 2003 or 2004), and I still have my first PS1 from way back in 1996, and the only problem with that is a few of the bobbly bits that hold the disc in place have fallen apart... yet it still works.

Compare that to a friend of mine, who has had at least one RROD, although I can't remember if his current one was a case of upgrading it, or another replacement.

Can't say I've ever had a problem with discs cracking as a result of standing the consoles vertically though... although given where mine are located, you'd have to be actively trying to break them in the first place to do so.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Did anything ever come from the post in the Consumerist? It seems like sometimes people get a phone call from the company in question soon after their story is posted there.

Perhaps you can recontact them and ask them to update the story with the new customer service horrors.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Consumers don't have anywhere near the level of protection in the US that they have in the UK.

Quite nearly the only recourse we have is public censure, and civil suits. If you can't raise a stink in public, or bring about an expensive lawsuit, it's pretty much a certainty you won't get satisfaction.

That's funny I live in the US and Nintendo fixed my Mom's DS even though she spilled something on it. No stink, no lawsuit. From what I've hear from people who have lived in both the US and Europe, the latter has by far the worse customer service.

Actually, I think some German companies sued Land's End to keep them from offering lifetime guarantees on their clothes and won.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
    edited February 2009
    But there's no law requiring Nintendo to fix her DS. They did it because they're a decent company.

xzzy on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Hence why I've stuck with Sony, especially after the numerous problems I've had with various Windows software in the past... (and before you say it, yes I KNOW the 360 doesn't use Windows, but they're both Microsoft, and both seemingly full of bugs and faults, so I stand by my decision.)

Sony just seems to be more reliable. I'm still on my first PS3 after nearly 2 years, only on my second PS2 since I bought one in 2000 (the first seemed to have some fatal screw-up within the bootup sequence, meaning it didn't actually do anything whatsoever - I think that broke back in about 2003 or 2004), and I still have my first PS1 from way back in 1996, and the only problem with that is a few of the bobbly bits that hold the disc in place have fallen apart... yet it still works.

Compare that to a friend of mine, who has had at least one RROD, although I can't remember if his current one was a case of upgrading it, or another replacement.

Can't say I've ever had a problem with discs cracking as a result of standing the consoles vertically though... although given where mine are located, you'd have to be actively trying to break them in the first place to do so.

Comparing two different generations here.

The PS2 DREs were an extremely common problem. As common as the RROD? No, but far more common than any issue the last gen systems had (XBox had no major across-the-board issues, Gamecube had some power supply issues, but again they were rare).

Go back another generation. The PSX had what was affectionately called "gay playstation syndrome" by folks online... it would stop reading discs. To fix the problem, at least temporarily, you would turn the system on it's side/upside-down (making it no longer straight, lawl). The Saturn had some issues with the cartridge slot and third party carts, and the N64 again had no major issues.

In the end, on the hardware front, Sony had the worst reputation. Microsoft's turned that on its head this generation.

I, personally, am sad that my launch 360 finally RROD'd today. Going through the website, I was offered a claim of $94 to have the unit repaired. However, calling customer service got me a quick resolution (they e-mailed me a UPS label, I'm shipping it out, and will get a new unit in return). They're taking care of me even though I'm outside of the extended 3 year warranty (Joey on the phone even said "you're outside of the warranty, but we'll pretend you're not. Your label is on the way").

Sony never owned up to the problems in either of their Playstation systems, until they were forced to by the court. Microsoft owned up as soon as it became a problem. For that, at least, they get some modicum of respect from me.

As for Fyre's problems... I'm sorry to hear your issue still isn't resolved. Keep with it, and hopefully the bad press will force them to help you out. :|

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited February 2009
    Nope, the corporate guys shat all over me too. At this point, EA is being the most helpful with the replacement of RB2.

FyreWulff on
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah thats what I always say. I know they fucked up making the 360s but atleast they realized their faults and are owning up. Im happy for that despite how goddamn screwy the 360s are.

My PS2 doesnt read DVDs or blue disc games anymore but everything else works perfectly. That thing has chugged for as long as Ive had it which was about a yearafter it was released. Good ol trusty. My PS1 is STILL working. Its crazy. Oh yeah my PS2 has trouble reading PS1 discs too. Although sometimes I can open it up and give it a clean down and it works for a month or two. But now I just use my ol PS1.

Regular Xbox. Hah. That thing had so many problems (for me) that it was awful. I loved it. But goddammit. I had about 3 regular Xboxs. And now Im on my 4th 360. None of my 360s would be broken right now though if it werent for my friends/family. Always because of them do my 360s break. So I havent had a bad time with the 360 really. I know going on my fourth is a lot, but only because they kept breaking them. They worked fine UNTIL then.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My ps1 died. (Laser motor stopped moving) My phat ps2 is still going strong. My oxbox lost the ability to display color. Gamecube still works. 60GB ps3 still working despite having a penny stuck inside the bluray drive for a few months. My xbox 360 still works, but then again I just bought it and its a jasper, so it better.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
    edited February 2009
    My first 360 would still be working if my dad for some reason didnt pick it up and drop it. I dont exactly know WHY he did. But he did.

My second 360, I bought from my friend, I was playing it one time and it was standing up. There was no room so I had to have it up. Another friend comes by, kicks it over. Yay. That one broke along with the game inside. I forget the game but yeah. Fuck.

Third 360! Its an Elite. I bought it in July I believe. Or June. One or the other. Anyways. Was the best 360 I had. Didnt make noise, I loved its quietness, it just worked so nicely. Then, while driving around in my friends car, he made me put it in the trunk. He said I couldnt carry it for some reason up front so I had no choice. While driving around there was this...bump...in the road. The car felt a great deal of impact and the 360 in the trunk slammed up and down. I got home. It red ringed. I freaked out but it still worked. Then a couple months later I moved it into the living room to watch some movies. Brought it back to the original room and it had red rings again. I freaked again but then unplugged and plugged and it continued to work. About 3 weeks later Im playing Left 4 Dead with some Penny Arcade peeps and gray lines go down the screen. I knew it was E-74 because my friend just got E-74 about two weeks before. So I turned it off, turned it on. E-74. That was the end of the Elite. She tried. She did her best. But sadly nay....nay....Now shes over there in the corner inside the coffin ready to be shipped out tomorrow. *sniff* Someone hold me..

mastrius on
  • ElKaboomElKaboom Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    XBox had no major across-the-board issues
    I'm pretty sure everything catching on fire is across the board, but the recall patched that up.

ElKaboom on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ElKaboom wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    XBox had no major across-the-board issues
    I'm pretty sure everything catching on fire is across the board, but the recall patched that up.

Actually, as I recall, the chance of that happening was akin to getting struck by lightning at best. And yea, the recall cleared it up fast.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • darkenedwingdarkenedwing Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My 360 got the no video but working audio problem today :/ mid 2006 model.
    I'm surprised it lasted for two whole years considering the huge failure rate :/
    Its not under warrenty and this isn't covered under the RROD thing Microsoft does and I don't think they aknowledge it as a problem, so it seem's im screwed just like fyrewolf :(

I'm glad shadowfire is getting his fixed though.

It's sad that the problem with 360's is so widespread that people "expect" and "wait" for their console to break :/ thats making a product wrong :P

darkenedwing on
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29216&dateline=1296970870
  • PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This really sucks to hear happening to someone else. A long time back a friend of mine lost his connection while we played coop Crackdown, only to learn a few minutes later that his disc had been cracked badly. I've gone through a 360 already as well, while the current elite has been spewing weird scratching noises with Skate 2 and occasionally loads the game play itself at half speed.

Just about everyone I know has loathed the indian customer service. They follow the script and will not deviate for ANYTHING, and will get quite belligerent if you present an issue that's unique. Might as well be robots.

So consumerist has been notified and has run the story thus far, Kotaku has been notified, anyone else?

Polago on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    I think we are going to start seeing more and more problems with future generations of consoles, just due to the complexity of the machines anymore.

And hell, even my gamecube had a hardware problem, the fan died and it tried to catch fire while I was playing it one day. :P

Morkath on
  • Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    60GB ps3 still working despite having a penny stuck inside the bluray drive for a few months.

This really needs some explanation.

Sir Platypus on
  • PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    60GB ps3 still working despite having a penny stuck inside the bluray drive for a few months.

This really needs some explanation.

If it's anything like growing up in the 80's, a younger cousin/brother/sister stuck pennies inside to make the thing go.

Polago on
  • METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The only system I've ever had shit out on me was my Saturn when the battery died.

It deleted all my save files, including my %100 completed Sonic R game files :(

I know my original snes is still going strong, not sure about the SS, DC, N64, or GC, though. They were working within the last year is all I know.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
    edited February 2009
    My 360 got the no video but working audio problem today :/ mid 2006 model.
    I'm surprised it lasted for two whole years considering the huge failure rate :/
    Its not under warrenty and this isn't covered under the RROD thing Microsoft does and I don't think they aknowledge it as a problem, so it seem's im screwed just like fyrewolf :(

I'm glad shadowfire is getting his fixed though.

It's sad that the problem with 360's is so widespread that people "expect" and "wait" for their console to break :/ thats making a product wrong :P

The fact people still buy them like crazy knowing they will break/fail/somethingfuckup on them is also baffling is it not? Its Just. That. Good.

mastrius on
This discussion has been closed.