As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] garners literary acclaim, high fives

Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
edited February 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
nfsotmeo.jpg

sundering.jpg

masterpieces, one and all

Casual Eddy on

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Nothing Knaak writes is good.

Edit: Actually, his Battletech books are readable.

Cinders on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    But he's a bestseller

Elendil on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    that's the saddest thing

Casual Eddy on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Are there witchalocks?

Nocturne on
    edited February 2009
    Peace Piece

Elendil on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Strange Days is such a weird movie. $3/gallon gas as a sign the US is fucked in 1999 and a SQUID's that record memories from your brain.

electricitylikesme on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Eddy there is no need to kick sand in someone's face when they've been beat down.

Regina Fong on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2009
    Cinders wrote: »

I guess he doesn't have a knack for good writing.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited February 2009
    jeepguy wrote: »
    Eddy there is no need to kick sand in someone's face when they've been beat down.

i've decided i'm not mean enough

Casual Eddy on
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Elki wrote: »

I guess he doesn't have a knack for good writing.

Boo, get off the stage!

Cinders on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    so it's more likely that the entire community of literary criticism, as disparate and varied as it is, simply doesn't recognize the genius of these novels than the off chance that they are simply not very well written.

Yes? I mean, I don't think you're totally off-base here. I'm not claiming that these books are brilliant. I'm just saying I don't know. And I'm saying that their being passed on by the literary critique industry is not a valid barometer. Please don't fall into the trap of thinking that academic critique - or any industry of criticism - serves to do anything but perpetuate itself, which it does primarily through bias and exclusion. It does evolve, sometimes, but always externally.

Thanatos:

No, scientifically-provable generalities are fine.

Elendil:

Yes and no, regarding Agnosticism. It's not really Agnositicism becase this is about art. Can anyone really even define "well-written"? Regardless, even if we were to take some standard academic definition of the phrase, unless one has actually read a novel, one cannot dismiss it as poorly- or not well-written. I don't think that's Agnosticism. I think that's common sense.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I remember the Legend of Huma being good. But that was ...shit.. twenty years ago.

Oh, and I liked Frostwing too.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This is probably the worst torture. Whoever thought factoring via trial and error should be taught as a legitimate and necessary method should be crucified. This is so painfully slow. Why would anyone assign this homework to me. I hate this class.

Sarksus on
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Richy on
    sig.gif
    edited February 2009
    I don't even know who Knaak is. To be frank, I don't read any of this fantasy/sci-fi shit. It's probably all awful.

Drez on
    edited February 2009
    Drez wrote: »
    I don't even know who Knaak is. To be frank, I don't read any of this fantasy/sci-fi shit. It's probably all awful.

:lol:

Cinders on
    edited February 2009
    It's the lack of the probably that gets you then?

Elendil on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thanatos:

Except it's not scientifically-provable. It's possible that, when I try to put my hand in the fire, all the atoms in my hand will rearrange themselves leaving nothing there. It should happen about once in every six lifetimes of the universe, but it's not a for-sure thing. I mean, it will probably burn, but not necessarily.

Why aren't you sticking your hand in fires, then?

Thanatos on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    God damn it Eddy.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Not really, just most of it.

moniker on
    edited February 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »
    This is probably the worst torture. Whoever thought factoring via trial and error should be taught as a legitimate and necessary method should be crucified. This is so painfully slow. Why would anyone assign this homework to me. I hate this class.
    Oh did you not get the number processing chip installed in your brain

Well, you'll just have to deal

Elendil on
    edited February 2009
    Get a TI-89.

Thanatos on
    edited February 2009
    Strange Days is such a weird movie. $3/gallon gas as a sign the US is fucked in 1999 and a SQUID's that record memories from your brain.

You know, I just rewatched this a few days ago and have been meaning to post about it. One of my favorite films. It's so good, and acted so well. I don't mean to sound gay here but Ralph Fiennes was excellent in the film, really gave you a good sense of hopeless romantic, fearful kind of dude.

Drez on
    edited February 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »

Court order.

moniker on
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    wakey wakey

eggs and bakey

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Churchill was said to have remarked towards the end of his life that in his youth he had thought himself very clever, and had had many of his biting and caustic remarks quoted again and again, but that it was only in age that he found he preferred kindness to cleverness, and regretted pursuing the latter to the detriment of the former for so many years.

Regina Fong on
    edited February 2009
    Get a TI-89.

No, I don't need a calculator to do this. This is trivial. The homework is: to factor these simple polynomials using the trial and error method. I can't not use this method. It's the homework, to learn how to use it, except I learned how to use it in class, and I don't need to do this homework, yet it's mandatory. Fuck remedial math.

Sarksus on
    edited February 2009

Welcome to my Structures classes. You had to 'solve' the problem in order to figure out what beam to use in order to actually solve the problem and then solve it again and hope you weren't way off the first time. What's that, do the same maths 5 times in order to answer a question that an engineering program will do in 4 seconds? Why yes, I don't have anything better to do on a Thursday night.

moniker on
    edited February 2009

only you drez

Casual Eddy on
    edited February 2009
    Thanatos:

Except it's not scientifically-provable. It's possible that, when I try to put my hand in the fire, all the atoms in my hand will rearrange themselves leaving nothing there. It should happen about once in every six lifetimes of the universe, but it's not a for-sure thing. I mean, it will probably burn, but not necessarily.

You just wasted your time writing nonsense. You should jail yourself; really, it's for your own good. It's good training. It builds character. Now that I can only post every 150 seconds, I find myself crafting brilliance into everything I write. You, with no post timer, have no need to cultivate your logic or writing skills. Obviously.

Drez on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Get a TI-89.

No, I don't need a calculator to do this. This is trivial. The homework is: to factor these simple polynomials using the trial and error method. I can't not use this method. It's the homework, to learn how to use it, except I learned how to use it in class, and I don't need to do this homework, yet it's mandatory. Fuck remedial math.

I'm curious, if you get the right answer through trial and error in the first example you try...would the teacher accept it?

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited February 2009
    Churchill was said to have remarked towards the end of his life that in his youth he had thought himself very clever, and had had many of his biting and caustic remarks quoted again and again, but that it was only in age that he found he preferred kindness to cleverness, and regretted pursuing the latter to the detriment of the former for so many years.
    Even Churchill got some things wrong, apparently. :P

Thanatos on
    edited February 2009
    Thanatos:

You just wasted your time writing nonsense. You should jail yourself; really, it's for your own good. It's good training. It builds character. Now that I can only post every 150 seconds, I find myself crafting brilliance into everything I write. You, with no post timer, have no need to cultivate your logic or writing skills. Obviously.
    Why would I need to do that when I can get so much more joy out of getting you to waste your one post every two and a half minutes replying to bullshit I couldn't possibly care less about?

Thanatos on
    edited February 2009
    The net good of the widespread joy Churchill's caustic cleverness has wrought is actually greater than any kindness he could have done

Elendil on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Than wins.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited February 2009
    wakey wakey

eggs and bakey

Are you smoking marijuana son? Only losers smoke marijuana. Losers like the President and record shattering Olympic swimmers.

moniker on
    edited February 2009
    Is Drez someone who applies agnostic thought to his own life? I've been looking for you. I didn't think you existed.
    moniker wrote: »

Welcome to my Structures classes. You had to 'solve' the problem in order to figure out what beam to use in order to actually solve the problem and then solve it again and hope you weren't way off the first time.

Damnit what.
    Aegis wrote: »
    Get a TI-89.

I'm curious, if you get the right answer through trial and error in the first example you try...would the teacher accept it?

That's what I'm doing. I'm doing half of the work instead of writing out every possible factorial that there possibly could be. My grade for the homework probably won't be affected, and if it is, fuck it, I'm gonna get an A in this class even if I sleep through it.

Sarksus on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2009
    Help me pick a funny movie for our Wednesday Movie Night. The newer the better.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited February 2009

i think people take advantage of the fact that I am non confrontational.

i don't plan to be mean spirited for no good reason (except for just then)

Casual Eddy on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think it's Quids birthday.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.