As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Dailyshow/Colbert Report: "Where Roe V Wade is two ways to get across a river."

• Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    He's getting a bit more screed-ish during interviews with 'serious' people. It's not just that I don't really care about his idea, but I was actually rather interested in what this guy had to say about his book on what Presidents tend to pick up on by the end.

Yeah, he gets into character too much at times, and tends to interrupt a lot. It can be disruptive when actual interesting guests are on.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    He's getting a bit more screed-ish during interviews with 'serious' people. It's not just that I don't really care about his idea, but I was actually rather interested in what this guy had to say about his book on what Presidents tend to pick up on by the end.

Yeah, he gets into character too much at times, and tends to interrupt a lot. It can be disruptive when actual interesting guests are on.

I meant Stewart. The stimulus package that he talked about with this guy and Ifill, and that whole horse thing with Liam Neeson.

moniker on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You heard it first on the Colbert Report. Stephen Harper is the world's first lesbian prime minister.

O_o You're an hour ahead of me but still...O_o

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You heard it first on the Colbert Report. Stephen Harper is the world's first lesbian prime minister.

Oh god, I have to email this clip to my CanPol prof to play next week at the start of class.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I don't think this is the first time that Harper was called a lesbian on TDS/CR.

moniker on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't think this is the first time that Harper was called a lesbian on TDS/CR.

I don't think this is the first time you made this post.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Y'know, not to worship at the altar of Stewart too much, but wasn't Stewart's bailout idea actually pretty clever, if not terribly practical?

Shadowen on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Y'know, not to worship at the altar of Stewart too much, but wasn't Stewart's bailout idea actually pretty clever, if not terribly practical?

What was it?

And if its that good, its another reason Colbert should run for president with Stewart as VP.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I meant Stewart. The stimulus package that he talked about with this guy and Ifill, and that whole horse thing with Liam Neeson.

I actually like the horse thing because I really don't care about actors trying to sell their latest movie. The best interviews come when Jon goes off on some unrelated conversation with the actor.

Sometimes he only talks about the movie with the actors. It's boring and I get the feeling they said before hand to only talk about the movie. Maybe I'm wrong, but I like to think a little less of people if they seem to be only interested in selling their wares.

Bruce Forsyth on
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Paul Simon.

Paul GODDAMN Simon.

"So did you want to hear me talk about how I compose my songs"
    "Sure"
    "Well I start with-
    "RANDOM COLBERT INTERJECTION."

That drove me crazy.

However, there was one episode where he was interviewing a gay Basketball player and he kept butting in with these hilarious interjections.

"You say you had to 'remind yourself' that you were the gay one, how did you do that exactly?"

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    When did the Republicans become a bunch of pussies.

Couscous on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    When did the Republicans become a bunch of pussies.

Sometime around the summer of 1968.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The picture thing in yesterday's Colbert is amazing.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oliver's Travels? Really?

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Aegis wrote: »
    Oliver's Travels? Really great?

indeed it was

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuentinQuentin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Awww, Dev Patel was so cute!

Quentin on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Shadowen wrote: »

What was it?

And if its that good, its another reason Colbert should run for president with Stewart as VP.

He suggested that, rather than give money to the banks, who will just spend it willy-nilly, give it to citizens who have debt (ear-marked to be only for debt), who will then use it to pay off that debt, and in turn inject some liquidity into the struggling banks.

Of course, easier said than done (I can think of at least three major problems), but on the surface it's the best idea on the topic I've heard so far.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh, I've thought of that before, cover peoples mortgages and debts but leave the bank to fend for itself and its own fuck ups.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    fjafjanfjafjan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fleck0 wrote: »

indeed it was

"Just say the word and we'll take you back". and "It's this kind of attitude that made it not work". Oh John Oliver, your lack of Soul is god damned hillarious.

fjafjan on
    Yepp, THE Fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
    - "Proving once again the deadliest animal of all ... is the Zoo Keeper" - Philip J Fry
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Haha Colbert really stuck it to Rush last night. That was great.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    fjafjan wrote: »
    Fleck0 wrote: »

indeed it was

"Just say the word and we'll take you back". and "It's this kind of attitude that made it not work". Oh John Oliver, your lack of Soul is god damned hillarious.

The last shot of him putting tiny British flags all over the guy's desk brought it home for me.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I always wonder whether Oliver gives his interviewees any advance notice that he's going to be trolling them, or if he really does just blindside them with it.

cheez on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    cheez wrote: »
    I always wonder whether Oliver gives his interviewees any advance notice that he's going to be trolling them, or if he really does just blindside them with it.

Yeah, for a while there I was wondering if "humor" was an alien concept to Kenyans.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's really the same sort of thing that the Daily Show did at the beginning of the decade, except with more and more respectable people, and fewer crackpots. Colbert referred to wishing he could take his soul off and dryclean it. So no, they're most likely just asked for an interview.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    It's really the same sort of thing that the Daily Show did at the beginning of the decade, except with more and more respectable people, and fewer crackpots. Colbert referred to wishing he could take his soul off and dryclean it. So no, they're most likely just asked for an interview.
    I believe the quote was something like; "You kind of wish you could take off your soul and hang it in the closet before you got on the plane to do those bits."

They definitely didn't used to be warned ahead of time. Judging from the reactions they still get, I'd guess that's still standard operating procedure.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited February 2009

You sort of hope that they apologize afterwards.

moniker on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I believe the quote was something like; "You kind of wish you could take off your soul and hang it in the closet before you got on the plane to do those bits."

They definitely didn't used to be warned ahead of time. Judging from the reactions they still get, I'd guess that's still standard operating procedure.
    That's it. Oliver does a podcast for Times Online called the Bugle, and he references how terrible he feels when he has to make fun of people at the inauguration for example.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm watching it on Hulu and just got to the Kenyan ambassador interview. I'm scared.

Oliver: "You know the door to colonialism is till wide open."
    Ambassador: *smiling and nodding, then o_O * "You mean closed forever, right?"

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

From the reactions of the guests, I get the feeling that a lot of them catch onto it being a joke during the interview. I recall reading something with one of the 'journalists' saying that they don't usually advertise as being with The Daily Show or Colbert Report, but just some generic news team or something like that.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Yeah, I remember at (i think) his out of character talk at Harvard he explained that, when asked, they'd say "I'm from the Daily Show;" if asked what channel it was on, they'd say "I'm not sure which channel it is here, but in NY it's [whatever number, like 29 or something]." Only if pressed further would they admit that it was Comedy Central.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I reeeealy hope Stephen does a Threatdown tonight.

Because this is a story that demands our full attention.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »

Yeah, I remember at (i think) his out of character talk at Harvard he explained that, when asked, they'd say "I'm from the Daily Show;" if asked what channel it was on, they'd say "I'm not sure which channel it is here, but in NY it's [whatever number, like 29 or something]." Only if pressed further would they admit that it was Comedy Central.

It's their own fault for not watching The Daily Show. :P

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

"I'm a reporter for a Viacom network"

TL DR on
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

"I'm a reporter for a Viacom network"

Mandelay Networking

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Forar wrote: »

From the reactions of the guests, I get the feeling that a lot of them catch onto it being a joke during the interview. I recall reading something with one of the 'journalists' saying that they don't usually advertise as being with The Daily Show or Colbert Report, but just some generic news team or something like that.

They explain how they do it around 2:30 or so. (The rest is pretty entertaining too).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fnHcbQJiYM&feature=PlayList&p=9D2FB11DED9F69F0&index=10

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Colbert's opening bit with Steve Martin was pretty damned good.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ha, the Steve Martin bit continues. That is awesome.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Okay, this is the best interview ever.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh my, the opening bit with Steve Martin is hilarious.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Forar wrote: »

They explain how they do it around 2:30 or so. (The rest is pretty entertaining too).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fnHcbQJiYM&feature=PlayList&p=9D2FB11DED9F69F0&index=10

that was awesome

valiance on
This discussion has been closed.