As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CLUSTERFUCK ON] Wurm Online: PVP-Free Server Is Up, Again. Run for it!

• Options
    InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    PF!!!
    I started mining for the copper and couldnt find it
    found the gold vein tho

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • Options
    JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So I am thinking of joining you mans tomorrow.

What is the current status of the fortress and all threats to our glorious reign over mount wang?

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TrinisTrinis Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Farming is going strong by the base of the mountain. We have exclusive access to an iron vein at the bottom, and an additional iron vein and silver vein halfway up the mountain. There is an AWESOME PURPLE DEMON STATUE there. Five forges, several ovens. Road work progressing very well. Close access to water, tar, and clay. Massive AWESOME tunnel running to the top of the mountain for our eventual Castle of Carnage. At present our only threats are losers who build shacks and don't use them. Eminent domain bitches.

Trinis on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh, btw, I got 40 copper ore from the Bitardsk place after asking nicely. Until we get our own copper mine please dont use it for weird stuff, just keep it for keys. Thaaaaanks

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh, btw, I got 40 copper ore from the Bitardsk place after asking nicely.

I tried asking them if we could have copper before but I guess there weren't any English-speakers on. Good show, and excellent opening of the trade roads between Mount Doom and Soviet Russia. :)
    Until we get our own copper mine please dont use it for weird stuff, just keep it for keys. Thaaaaanks

Yeah, we should be using gold for the weird stuff guys, Gnome found another vein of it on the north side of the mountain. You did gatehouse/cockblock it from the use of others, right? There's already a public vein.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Noooooooooope....
    I was thinking about it, but got bored mining and started some leatherworking instead and logged off later

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Noooooooooope....
    I was thinking about it, but got bored mining and started some leatherworking instead and logged off later

Damnit. Lock it if you can and let me know, otherwise I'll do that as soon as I get home.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Long live the Mailed Fish Mount Awesome Memorial!
    wurm2009020216251.jpg

wurm2009020216252.jpg

wurm200902021626.jpg

wurm200902021628.jpg

wurm2009020216351.jpg

wurm200902021635.jpg

wurm200902021636.jpg

bonus map from while i was divining for water:
    As you can probably tell, the beds and loom aren't in the places they are in this map
    MAmorialPlan3WATER.jpg

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Morning Update!

The gold mine is locked down, and I'm working on digging my way to the copper. Hopefully if I calculated right, I should be two tiles away. After that I'll try to get some clay (do we have a better source than that one point that just keeps getting griefed?) and make a forge or two in there so that we can smelt ore.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Color me interested, I might have to check this out.

Do I sign up for the home or wild server?

Xtarath on
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've been wanting to give this a shot, and now that I have a computer that won't choke on anything I toss at it...

Anything in particular I should focus on as a new player? Also, anything in particular the community needs?

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Xtarath wrote: »
    Color me interested, I might have to check this out.

Do I sign up for the home or wild server?

Home server, Jenn-Kellon kingdom. Bolded shit is important, or you'll be at the wrong side of the island. I have no idea why "Wild" is even offered as a starting choice since you can't get to it without paying money.

@Nerdtendo: As a new player, you can do the starting quests (find a Guide NPC, they're in brown robes) and figure out how things work. We're still working on establishing a direction for our next grand plan.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I remember seeing that some decisions can negatively affect your character permanently. This still true?

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Nerdtendo wrote: »
    I remember seeing that some decisions can negatively affect your character permanently. This still true?

Deciding not to join the Jenn-Kellon kingdom will seriously effect you in that you won't be anywhere near us, and will respawn a ~20 minute walk away if you die. Also if you do pay to go premium, you get into the whole religion/kingdom thing, and that can fuck you up. :P

But other than that? No, on GV you're pretty safe from lasting harm. You can easily grind your carpentry skill on trees, masonry on stone walls, mining on ... well, mining - and as long as you stick to rats, deer, and pigs (but not wild boars!) you can even learn fight skills.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Tonight's progress: I've hit the copper vein, I've built a forge, and am proceeding to smelt me some precious metals. Once the gatehouse is done I'll add everyone to the writ, and we can being making ourselves golden everything. :D

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Falcon could you post directions to the gold and copper mines in this topic? I don't even know where they are so I'm guessing our new players might also be confused.

Edit: I wanted to let everyone know that we now have 3 forges, an oven, and a coffin for storage in the silver and iron mine halfway up the mountain. Nails are in supply up there for whoever needs them and I'll be making plenty more later tonight. Kradock has the writ for you new folks.

Trinis on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Totally awesome game. Glad I gave it a shot. You can be sure to see me around again in the future. Be more than happy to lend a hand where most necessary. Just dish out some chores, you guys are feeding me after all.

:lol:

edit:

On a side note... this game needs zombie events. It's practically begging for it. Disease system and all.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Hey nerdtendo - you can get free meals and water to 100% from the bartender for your first 24 hrs playtime or until your skills get too high. Use it, you will never be 100% full again after it's over. Also stop eating vet food you leech!

After improving you will start repairing update!

I am a selfish bastard, so I've been improving my own shit (mostly) first. BUT I'm almost done with all that, and will be taking orders for top quality items. No charge for PA'ers of course. First order is finished - Mera your file is in the coffin in the silver mine, very close to 20 QL.

I made good on my promise for nails, but made less than i intended. There is a small supply in a barrel here in the mine.

The large anvil in the silver mine is up to QL 19.6, enjoy.

Why the hell is kitam--- making maps? This guy is a moron. 4th time I've told him the actual location of our settlement.

9th century is done. A lot of things have changed, a lot of things have not.

Trinis on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Trinis wrote: »
    Falcon could you post directions to the gold and copper mines in this topic? I don't even know where they are so I'm guessing our new players might also be confused.

Sure, I'll throw an "Important Locations" section into the OP, containing mostly our camp, the lake north of FL, the mountain and associated paths, and the gold/copper mine.

Edit - done. Someone will have to give me more info about what's on the mountain, I haven't been there since the initial breakthrough.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Hey nerdtendo - you can get free meals and water to 100% from the bartender for your first 24 hrs playtime or until your skills get too high. Use it, you will never be 100% full again after it's over. Also stop eating vet food you leech!

Oh, I know. I've been running up there.

I just had an idea, and it involves pyramids... Seems like it would be possible to do in the game. Possible future effort?

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I just had an idea, and it involves pyramids... Seems like it would be possible to do in the game. Possible future effort?

It's been done:

wurm574sq5.jpg
    That's on Home, of course.

Food on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

If you're talking about massive terraforming effort, yes it is possible. Check out the screenshots in the OP under "Across the Portal" for the Arcadia Bay mound. That was raised, as far as I know, right out of the sea into the giant square bit of awesome that it is. :D

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Food wrote: »

It's been done:

wurm574sq5.jpg
    That's on Home, of course.

Holy shit.

Well, making some sort of epic mark on the land... somehow.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ha! Official announcement, of which we already knew on Sunday:

The Horde has arrived on GV. However, we can't join them.

They're in the middle of the island - north of us and south of MR. Apparently Wild BL players are allowed to come visit Golden Valley, leave their encampment, and do meet-and-greets. That's pretty much it - there's HotS guards around that will kill anyone who wanders in, and if they go too far into JK or MR territory the guards (or GMs, possibly) will fuck them up.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I finally got the pendulum created! hooray for water fountains!

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I finally got the pendulum created! hooray for water fountains!

Best of luck with the divining. If you find a spot, for the love of god mark it. Log out standing on it if you have to, but MARK IT SOMEHOW.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I found making a map was super helpful in finding a water source. Allows you to zero in on the correct tile more easily, and makes it easier to choose between multiple choices.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    thorgot wrote: »
    I found making a map was super helpful in finding a water source. Allows you to zero in on the correct tile more easily, and makes it easier to choose between multiple choices.

If this game ever makes it to retail, the collector's edition will come with a 200-sheet ream of graph paper. :P

Speaking of that, thor, can you explain how the fuck exactly AoC around deeds works? I mean, if I buy a size 5 HS deed and plop it down, I get 5 tiles in each direction of homestead for 11x11=121 tiles. But then there's this "oh, five more tiles of AoC." What exactly does that do for me? Can I build fences around the 21x21 perimeter and call that 441-tile area mine?

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Basically, yes. But you don't get guards or decreased decay on those extra tiles, so you'd have to repair the fences.

More importantly, if you set the permissions in a certain way, nobody else can build fences in the extra area, so you don't have to immediately build fences around the extra 300 tiles.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Basically, yes. But you don't get guards or decreased decay on those extra tiles, so you'd have to repair the fences.

More importantly, if you set the permissions in a certain way, nobody else can build fences in the extra area, so you don't have to immediately build fences around the extra 300 tiles.

ahhhhhhhhh

So if I set the "No picking up Items" permission, would that make it a Steal action to anyone trying to pick something up from my AoC? Or would they still be able to do it, because it's not inside the deed and therefore the guards wouldn't defend it?

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    The DoctorThe Doctor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is there a way to play this on mac?

The Doctor on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

ahhhhhhhhh

So if I set the "No picking up Items" permission, would that make it a Steal action to anyone trying to pick something up from my AoC? Or would they still be able to do it, because it's not inside the deed and therefore the guards wouldn't defend it?

The permissions are for on the deed. The only options you can set for the AoC are:
    Build fences, Destroy fences, Destroy roads and floorboards, Build roads and floorboards, build houses, and an option to allow allies to do all of the above. You can also set up to (settlement size) people who can do those things.
    The Doctor wrote: »
    Is there a way to play this on mac?

It's java, it should run on anything.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I get this when I try to load it on my macbook.
    could not set up display mode

It's possible you might figure out what's wrong from the log file below, but if you can't, post the it on the wurm online forums, and someone else might be able to help you.

Contents of console.log:
    Time is Wed Feb 04 15:47:24 EST 2009
    Running client version 2.5.2-735, testclient=false

=== System information ===
    Operating system: Mac OS X (arch: i386, version: 10.4.11)
    Java version: 1.5.0_16
    Java vendor: Apple Computer, Inc. (http://apple.com/)
    Available CPUs: 2

Loading character timmymouse
    Loading config default
    Loading props file /Users/TImmy/Documents/wurm/configs/default/gamesettings.txt
    >>> Main thread exiting.
    Loading props file /Users/TImmy/Documents/wurm/players/timmymouse/password.txt
    >>> LoginFrame queue entry exiting.
    Saving props file /Users/TImmy/Documents/wurm/players/timmymouse/password.txt
    Saving props file /Users/TImmy/Documents/wurm/configs/default/gamesettings.txt
    Loading props file /Users/TImmy/Documents/wurm/players/timmymouse/stats.txt

Preparing to enable console logging.
    Now logging to /Users/TImmy/Documents/wurm/console.timmymouse.log

=== Wurm options ===
    advanced_select_items = false
    animation_playback_self = 1
    auto_mipmaps = false
    cavedetail = 2
    censor_chat = true
    cloud_shadows = false
    compressed_textures = false
    compressed_textures_S3TC = true
    debug_mode = false
    display_settings = false:false:0:800:600:-1:-1:false
    engine_multithreaded = 0
    event_log_rotation = 2
    fast_yield = false
    fog_coord_src = 0
    font_bold = 11
    font_default = 11
    font_header = 24
    font_huge_header = 36
    font_italian = 11
    font_monospaced = 11
    game_client_thread_priority = 2
    glsl_enabled = true
    gui_opacity = 3
    has_read_eula = true
    hint_fog = 1
    hint_linesmooth = 1
    hint_mipmap = 1
    hint_perspective = 1
    hint_pointsmooth = 1
    hint_polygonsmooth = 1
    hint_texture_compression = 2
    hint_texture_scaling = 1
    impColumn = true
    inverse_mouse = false
    irc_log_rotation = 2
    item_creature_render_distance = 4
    loadInventoryStartup = true
    log_extra_errors = false
    max_texture_size = 3
    model_loader_thread_priority = 2
    model_loading_threads = 1
    opengl2_enabled = false
    other_log_rotation = 2
    outline_picking = true
    pack_updater_log_level = 0
    pack_updater_log_level2 = 1
    player_guest = false
    reflections = 2
    release_context = false
    remember_password = true
    render_distant_terrain = true
    render_glow = false
    render_near_terrain = true
    save_skills_on_quit = false
    screenshot_file_format = 0
    setting_timestamps = true
    shadow_level = 0
    showKChat = true
    skydetail = 1
    sound_al_gain = 10
    sound_engine = 1
    structure_render_distance = 4
    terrain_bump = true
    terrain_res = 1
    tile_transitions = true
    tiledecorations = 2
    toolSlot1 = -1
    toolSlot2 = -1
    toolSlot3 = -1
    toolSlot4 = -1
    toolSlot5 = -1
    trees = 2
    update_optional = true
    use_anisotropic_filtering = 0
    use_coralized_pack_updater = false
    use_fast_clock_work_around = false
    use_linked_queue_model_loader = true
    use_nagles_algorithm = false
    use_non_alpha_particles = true
    use_occlusion_culling = true
    use_pbuffers2 = false
    use_smooth_lines = false
    use_smooth_points = false
    use_smooth_polygons = false
    use_tree_models = true
    use_weather_particles = true
    vbo_enabled = true
    viewport_bob = true

>>> Game launcher thread exiting.
    Using LWJGL display 800:600:0:0 (false)

JOGL specification version 1.1.1
    JOGL implementation version 1.1.1
    JOGL implementation vendor Sun Microsystems, Inc.
    ====== CLIENT CRASH ======
    could not set up display mode
    javax.media.opengl.GLException: OpenGL context not current
    at com.sun.opengl.impl.macosx.MacOSXGLContext.setSwapInterval(MacOSXGLContext.java:317)
    at com.sun.opengl.impl.GLImpl.setSwapInterval(GLImpl.java:30518)
    at com.wurmonline.client.j.run(SourceFile:186)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)

Nevermind i got it.

The Doctor on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The permissions are for on the deed. The only options you can set for the AoC are:
    Build fences, Destroy fences, Destroy roads and floorboards, Build roads and floorboards, build houses, and an option to allow allies to do all of the above. You can also set up to (settlement size) people who can do those things.

Why is this shit not on the Wiki under "Area of Control" or something? Thank you. And on GV, since no one can bash fences, it's pretty safe to build in AoC, just don't leave shit outside a structure/locked gate. :)

[strike]@The Doctor - In the launcher, under Options -> Display -> Advanced (possibly) try changing the renderer from LWJGL to JOGL. Alternatively, update your video drivers, also you're not running an Intel GPU are you? :lol:[/strike] beat'd, evidently it's working

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ok, does anyone have a clue as to why my irc does not work in game?

The Doctor on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The Doctor wrote: »
    Ok, does anyone have a clue as to why my irc does not work in game?

Because it's shit?

No, really. The in-game IRC client is shit. I'm not sure why I still use it, but I do. :P

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Do I get to kill the english?

walnutmon on
    xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    walnutmon wrote: »
    Do I get to kill the english?

You have to go premium, but sure. :P

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Why is this shit not on the Wiki under "Area of Control" or something? Thank you. And on GV, since no one can bash fences, it's pretty safe to build in AoC, just don't leave shit outside a structure/locked gate. :)

[strike]@The Doctor - In the launcher, under Options -> Display -> Advanced (possibly) try changing the renderer from LWJGL to JOGL. Alternatively, update your video drivers, also you're not running an Intel GPU are you? :lol:[/strike] beat'd, evidently it's working

I'll set up a stub that I or someone else can fill in later.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    PF what has you been working on?

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg