As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Free Radical saved by Crytek! Maximum Buyout! More info on Console plans ( OP )

Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed UnicornIf ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Games and Technology
Crytek Buys Timesplitters and Haze developer Free Radical

40 jobs saved at Free Radical Design

"Over 40 jobs have been saved at UK studio Free Radical Design, following its purchase by Crytek last night.
"We are pleased to announce that a sale completed to Crytek late last night thus preserving over 40 jobs," confirmed Cameron Gunn, administrator at ReSolve Partners.
A formal announcement is expected later today. It is not yet clear whether Crytek has acquired the whole business, including intellectual properties such as TimeSplitters and Second Sight.
Free Radical Design went into administration just before Christmas last year, laying off more than 140 positions. However, administrator Resolve was confident of a sale following."

This is fantastic news, considering the harsh news of Free Radical's demise

After the dysmal Haze released last year Free Radical had to scrounge up excuses as to why they needed to stay afloat.

TimeSplitters 4 was announced a while back, and Free Radical continued on with it until troubled times with recession, inevitably leaking delicious morsels of what could have been.

Free Radical being bought by Crytek is a godsend for all the fans that could not believe they died off.

Things are looking up

Crytek for those who don't know are responsible for the amazing Far Cry, Crysis and Crysis Warhead, all of which were and still are bleeding edge technically and gameplay wise.

Crytek Releases more Console plans

Crysis developer Crytek has told GamesIndustry.biz that the acquisition of Free Radical Design will accelerate the developer's plans to enter the console market.

"Crytek is well-regarded for its high-end PC games, while the Free Radical team in the UK has extensive experience working on multiple home consoles with titles such as Haze, TimeSplitters and Second Sight.

"We always planned to enter the console market and it was part of our strategy even before the acquisition. This step will certainly bring us forward a bit faster to achieve our goal to develop high quality games on consoles," said Cevat Yerli, president and CEO of Crytek.

Free Radical Design was working on TimeSplitters 4 before falling into administration last year, but Crytek would not comment on specific projects, stating that "at the moment we're looking into all possibilities and haven't decided anything yet."

However, the UK studio is now staffing up in anticipation of a full-blown project, with Yerli confirming work is about to begin on a project at the newly renamed Crytek UK.

"Right now we're looking at 42 people and intend to bring the studio to full production capability in the near future,” he said. “This is something that relates to the project we'll be kicking off very shortly."

Crytek swooped for the beleaguered UK developer last week, picking up staff, technology and intellectual properties.

The group, which also has locations in Hungary, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Germany and South Korea, has been open in its frustration of PC games piracy, with Yerli last year stating that the developer will no longer create games exclusively for the PC market.

With Free Radical now part of the group, all eyes will be on the developer's plans for home consoles.

"We think Free Radical fits into our culture and strategy," added Yerli. "They have a proven track record in developing great games on consoles and PC. This combined with our own CryENGINE technology and a very experienced team is more than perfect for us."

Waka Laka on

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Have Crytek make Crysis 2, Free Radical can focus on making the co-op and the multiplayer component.

Game of the freaking century.

Free Radical can make use of the next CryEngine to make some awesome stuff as well.

subedii on
  • Options
    CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh thank Christ. Now all they have to do is say "We're totally still working on TS4, guys" and I'll be happy.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh god, what a wicked combination of devs. That is so awesome.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Originally there were 180 staff split up (pun intended) working on individual projects - Timesplitters 4 and Star Wars Battlefront 3. The layoffs reduced the work staff to a crew of 40 and they were the ones that were bought, for how much? Who knows?

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Originally there were 180 staff split up (pun intended) working on individual projects - Timesplitters 4 and Star Wars Battlefront 3. The layoffs reduced the work staff to a crew of 40 and they were the ones that were bought, for how much? Who knows?

Hopefully, the 40 that remain had no involvement in Haze. At all.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Cowbomb wrote: »

Haze was a cool concept done badly. Most of their games were still rad.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Haze was a cool concept done badly. Most of their games were still rad.

Agreed. The initial concept was quite good, it seems it just got rushed and a lot was cut.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hmm.

They specifically mention Second Sight. A new second sight would be nice.

Great news for the people who have not lost their jobs, and I certainly imagine something interesting could come from this. I wonder exactly what Crytek want out of the deal. A UK office, a console team, or maybe just IP.

LewieP on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I was going to make this thread last night, but I'm glad I didn't cause that is a fucking brilliant thread title

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    Free Radical can make use of the next CryEngine to make some awesome stuff as well.

The next CryEngine? Fuck that, use the current one! Let's get TS4 going ba-bay!!!! Sir-Chimps-alots as far as the eyes can see.........I can see it now.........and it's glorious......:shock:

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »

The next CryEngine? Fuck that, use the current one! Let's get TS4 going ba-bay!!!! Sir-Chimps-alots as far as the eyes can see.........I can see it now.........and it's glorious......:shock:

I will only accept this if they program them to navigate by way of the forest trees.

subedii on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So, does this mean that they will perfect their Hoth level now? :lol:

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Saved at the zero hour.

I feel bad for the 100+ people not able to keep their jobs though. Only being able to keep 40 of the employees is better than nothing though.

Henroid on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    BOOSH

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wow, that is indeed an 11th-hour save. Awesome news; hopefully this means we'll see TS4 in some form or another.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Too bad they still aren't doing Battlefront. Their concept ideas looked pretty boss.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You guys do realize that all but 40 employees have left FRD? And all the best ones were hand picked by the bosses to go start their new company?

Hopefully what is left isn't just a shadow of what was there before, but I think it will be. They'll clearly become Crysis team's port boys now..

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    BOOSH

i see what u did there.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You guys do realize that all but 40 employees have left FRD? And all the best ones were hand picked by the bosses to go start their new company?

Hopefully what is left isn't just a shadow of what was there before, but I think it will be. They'll clearly become Crysis team's port boys now..

I think there's still some joy to be had in knowing the fate of the IPs that come along with FRD. And sure, people left to start a new company, but they can always come back. I'd start a new company too if my ship was sinking, just to secure a future.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The head of Free Radical Steve Ellis (Sp?) was quick to register the site space - www.pumpkinbeach.com ready for a new studio to be born, but I guess things changed for the better.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    <3 Crytek!

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Free Radical is to be renamed Crytek UK, it’s now been confirmed.

Crytek issued a statement today finally admitting it’s bought the developer.

“Free Radical Design is a great fit to Crytek and its culture, given that Free Radical has a proven track record on delivering high quality games,” said Crytek boss Avni Yerli.

“The combination of this team, the Crytek network and our CryENGINE technology will be a foundation for outstanding gaming experiences and a magnet for the best talent in the UK.”

Free Radical as was will form Crytek’s fifth devlopment facility.

I guess they weren't after the brand.

LewieP on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    This is so good.

Oh please TimeSplitters 4 using the CryEngine oh please oh please.

Einhander on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Einhander wrote: »
    This is so good.

Oh please TimeSplitters 4 using the CryEngine oh please oh please.

What is known about CryEngine on consoles? Has there been any games or demos?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    Hmm.

They specifically mention Second Sight. A new second sight would be nice.

Great news for the people who have not lost their jobs, and I certainly imagine something interesting could come from this. I wonder exactly what Crytek want out of the deal. A UK office, a console team, or maybe just IP.

They mention Second Sight because outside of TimeSplitters it is their only franchise that wasn't an abomination to mankind.

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Second Sight wasn't a franchise. Their only franchise is TimeSplitters.

Wow, Wikipedia already changed it to Crytek UK.
    * TimeSplitters (2000) for PlayStation 2
    * TimeSplitters 2 (2002) for PlayStation 2, GameCube and Xbox
    * Second Sight (2004) for PlayStation 2, GameCube, Xbox and Windows
    * TimeSplitters Future Perfect (2005) for PlayStation 2, GameCube and Xbox
    * Haze (2008) for PlayStation 3

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    Second Sight wasn't a franchise. Their only franchise is TimeSplitters.

Wow, Wikipedia already changed it to Crytek UK.
    * TimeSplitters (2000) for PlayStation 2
    * TimeSplitters 2 (2002) for PlayStation 2, GameCube and Xbox
    * Second Sight (2004) for PlayStation 2, GameCube, Xbox and Windows
    * TimeSplitters Future Perfect (2005) for PlayStation 2, GameCube and Xbox
    * Haze (2008) for PlayStation 3

Intellectual property, franchise, whatever. You know what I mean.

Funny, I just did the Wiki thing too and I was surprised.

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    it was me

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    it was me

Bastard. Stop playing with the internet. You are going to break it.

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It wasn't really me.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Lewie how far away is their office from where you live?

Go over there.

Go over there and tell them I want TimeSplitters 4.

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    LewieP on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    On a side note, I sent an e-mail to their "Ask R-105" page asking about TimeSplitters drinking games, and they suggested that my friends and I "Take a shot everytime someone doesn't buy Second Sight".

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Einhander wrote: »
    On a side note, I sent an e-mail to their "Ask R-105" page asking about TimeSplitters drinking games, and they suggested that my friends and I "Take a shot everytime someone doesn't buy Second Sight".

Thats hilarious.

Elimination on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

That isn't far at all. Crazy Brits.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    My Mum is closer.

LewieP on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Haze was a cool concept done BOOSHED. Most of their games were still rad.

Fixed because, It had to be done.

And I'm always glad to hear good developers keep decent IP's and good game designers. I hope that we do see more timesplitters.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My Mum is closer.

alright, get her to do it you lazy bastard

Nuzak on
  • Options
    JonnyBotJonnyBot Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I should pick up Second Sight for the PC.

JonnyBot on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    JonnyBot wrote: »
    I should pick up Second Sight for the PC.

Might I make a suggestion?

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/second_sight

subedii on