As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Am Alive Because of SCIENCE!!

SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
No really, I'm totally Alive Because of Science. In fact, I ran a quick tally and came up with the following:

Aspirin overdose (age 2) required stomach pump and hospitalization
Punctured artery in Leg (on hitching post, age 3) required surgery
Shattered Right Arm (fourteen places, age 5) (dunno if ida died, but life now would be unpleasent)
Broken Femur (age 7) see above
Spike through knee (motorcycle crash, age 9) In the tropics, internal infections can kill you. Easily.
Malaria, x 9 (fatal without treatment, age 9-14)
Ruptured Appendix (age 16)

So about 15 times just of the top of my head. And since then, so far so good, I don't think strep throat kills untreated, so I'm leaving it out.

Are you Alive Because of Science!? I've been wondering just how many people are. Let us know, in brief terms or interesting stories! Extra points for:

I Almost Died Because of Science, but Then Science Saved Me!
I Didn't Know They Could Do That!
I Have Animal Parts in Me!
It Turns Out, You Don't Really Need That!

Also, in the interests of fairness, if you have Died Because of Science, you are still welcome (and encouraged!) to post your tale!

Sarcastro on

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Jesus dude, was your dad Evel Knievel?

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Brain Tumor removed with a laser scalpel.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Open heart surgery when I was 6, to repair a ventricular septal defect (a hole in one of the chambers of my heart). Had it not been repaired I would've died at about age 21, when my heart would've basically been worn out from having to work much harder to pump blood. As it was at age 6 my heart was about the size of a 16 year old's.

Other than that, I've never had anything worse than chicken pox.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You had malaria 9 times?

D:

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sarcastro wrote: »

So about 15 times just of the top of my head. And since then, so far so good, I don't think strep throat kills untreated, so I'm leaving it out.

Untreated strep can cause kidney disease and failure later in life. Happen to my grandpa.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Yea no kidding, holy shit is that a lot of stuff to happen to you at a young age. Also, how the hell did you get Malaria 9 times over the course of 5 years? D:

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    YodaTuna wrote: »
    Sarcastro wrote: »

Untreated strep can cause kidney disease and failure later in life. Happen to my grandpa.

It can also spread to your heart

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Science rocks.

I'm not alive because of science, but I have both legs because of science. Wonderful antibiotics shifting a huge infection in my leg.

Lave II on
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    The real debate here is if there are more people who are dead because of science than alive.

Obs on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Obs wrote: »
    The real debate here is if there are more people who are dead because of science than alive.

Alive easily

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Born from a C-section? That count?

Tach on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Technically we're all alive because of science. I don't know many people born without some kind of doctor present.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Technically we're all alive because of science. I don't know many people born without some kind of doctor present.

well thats not entirely true, i mean 1 in 4 might have survived to 18 without any doctors

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Would have died from asthma a whole bunch of times, especially the first time. Also had a reasonably nasty head injury when I was about 4 or 5, although I probably would have survived that.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2009

Alive easily

Explain?

How many more have been saved then those who have died by bombs and bullets and wheels and diseases, all in the name of science?

Obs on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I am like Dwight Schrute when it comes to my rugged health.

Although I am legally blind, so science made me contacts. Go optics!

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Alive easily

Explain?

How many more have been saved then those who have died by bombs and bullets and wheels and diseases, all in the name of science?

Way way way less than would have died of disease or starvation without science.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Alive easily

Explain?

About 30.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Borlaug

Aside from a scar that would be a lot more prominent, I would totally still be alive without science. Though I'd have shitty teeth.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I had a rare condition where a pipe in my throat that is supposed to dissolve normally during development didn't, and when I was a toddler became infected and swelled my neck out like a frog.

I imagine going untreated that would have been fatal.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have a job because of science!

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Without modern farming techniques theres no way we'd be able to maintain close to our current population.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My life is a lot more comfortable because of science.

About a year ago I started having episodes about once a month where I would throw up constantly for a week at a time. Life is not pleasant knowing that you have developed some sort of male period that makes you puke your guts out.

In November I was diagnosed with acid reflux and put on protonix. Since then I've had one episode that lasted less than 24 hours.

Yay Science!

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    evilbob wrote: »

Alive easily

Explain?

Doubtful.

Obs on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Without modern farming techniques theres no way we'd be able to maintain close to our current population.
    There's also no way we would've achieved our current population in the first place.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009

Alive easily

Explain?

You know, there's actual numbers to back this up. Population has growed since science came out.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

No it was Church.

As for me. I had asthma real bad. Probably would have had one heck of a younger life.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Obs stop being retarded. The only reason that science can kill as many people as it does (albeit in a a refracted way) is because SCIENCE HAS SUSTAINED THE LIFE OF SO MANY MORE PEOPLE

Stop trying to emulate my contrarianism. You are dumb.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well I was born with a heart murmur.

And I probably would have polio right now if there were no vaccine.

And I nearly cut off my finger when I was 9, and probably would have lost it without science.

And I definitely would have died without surgery.

So yeah, totally alive because of science.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    There's also no way we would've achieved our current population in the first place.

Current farming techniques are pretty wasteful. I'm doing an essay on vertical farming for an english class. It's the coolest innovation in agriculture I've eve heard of.

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    darthmixdarthmix Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Given that aspirin and motorcycles are also products of science, your "I'm alive because of science" account for those incidents balances at zero.

darthmix on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Alive easily

Explain?

Doubtful.

yes because things like the black death stopped happening on their own by magic.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Alive easily

Explain?
    Total earth population now vs total earth population during the stone age.

The difference? Science.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Alive easily

Explain?

Doubtful.

There is a reason why the population explosion didn't happen until science helped technology advance to the point where it was possible. Even in hellholes, the chances of living to 18 are better than before all the technological improvements. We would still be farming based on extremely primitive methods without science.
    World_population_curve_-_log_y_scale.png

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    darthmix wrote: »
    Given that aspirin and motorcycles are also products of science, your "I'm alive because of science" account for those incidents balances at zero.

Than logically a world with zero science would have the same population levels and mortality rates

right?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You had malaria 9 times?

D:

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

Alive easily

Explain?

Doubtful.

There is a reason why the population explosion didn't happen until science helped technology advance to the point where it was possible. Even in hellholes, the chances of living to 18 are better than before all the technological improvements. We would still be farming based on extremely primitive methods without science.
    World_population_curve_-_log_y_scale.png

This information is only meaningful if you overlay a chart of human deaths per years on top of it.

Obs on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This information is only meaningful if you overlay a chart of human deaths per years on top of it.
    For the population to go up, the net life flux needs to be moving in the birth direction. Unless more are being born than are dying, you're not gaining anything in terms of total pop.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I just found out I have celiacs disease. It pretty much sucks, but if I had been born back in the day I probably would have died from malnutrition without ever knowing what was wrong with me.

geckahn on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'd swallowed amniotic fluid before I was born, so I'm alive because of the doctors who did whatever they did to get me breathing.

Also, without glasses, I'd probably have walked in front of a bus or fallen in the sea by now.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]