As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Red Dead Redemption

LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Games and Technology
Rockstar wrote:
Rockstar Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. is proud to announce that Red Dead Redemption is scheduled for a fall 2009 release on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system and PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system. Developed by Rockstar San Diego, as a follow up to the 2004 hit game, Red Dead Revolver, Red Dead Redemption is a Western epic, set at the turn of the 20th century when the lawless and chaotic badlands began to give way to the expanding reach of government and the spread of the Industrial Age. The story of former outlaw, John Marston, Red Dead Redemption takes players on a great adventure across the American frontier.

"The team at San Diego have massively exceeded our expectations with the sheer depth of experiences in Red Dead Redemption," said Sam Houser, Founder of Rockstar Games. "The seamless combination of breathtaking beauty and intense action, all woven together with strong plotlines in a massive vibrant, rural environment is mind-blowing. We think this game helps to push the limits of what an open-world gaming experience can be."

Utilizing Rockstar's proprietary Rockstar Advanced Game Engine (RAGE), Red Dead Redemption features an open-world environment for players to explore, including frontier towns, rolling prairies teeming with wildlife, and perilous mountain passes - each packed with an endless flow of varied distractions. Along the way, players will experience the heat of gunfights and battles, meet a host of unique characters, struggle against the harshness of one of the world's last remaining wildernesses, and ultimately pick their own precarious path through an epic story about the death of the Wild West and the gunslingers that inhabited it.

Red Dead Redemption will be available in fall 2009 for the Xbox 360 and PLAYSTATION 3 consoles. For more information please visit www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption

I never played the original. Any good?

LewieP on

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Just read about this on Eurogamer, I never played the original but I'm certainly intrigued.

Also 'Red' is spelled r-e-d.
    I'm sorry.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    darleysam wrote: »
    Just read about this on Eurogamer, I never played the original but I'm certainly intrigued.

Also 'Red' is spelled r-e-d.
    I'm sorry.

I thought he had "read" Dead Redemption. Like, it was a book or something

MrDelish on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well they do like to add some letters every now and again on that side of the pond.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    FrostyFrosty Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Red Dead Redemption features an open-world environment for players to explore, including frontier towns, rolling prairies teeming with wildlife, and perilous mountain passes - each packed with an endless flow of varied distractions

Wild west GTA? Yes please.

Frosty on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well they do like to add some letters every now and again on that side of the pond.

should've been "Redde Dead Redemption"

MrDelish on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    I never played the original. Any good?

It was fun enough. We need more wild west games, in any case.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, it was a fun game. Only ever played it multiplayer extensively (where it was hugely imbalanced due to the special abilities) and a tiny bit of single-player but it was a fun game. I prefered it to GUN if that helps.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This game also reminds me of this decade old, very thought out sketch of a game. Back then, it seemed like a concept that would likely never be possible...

After checking out the pics on the link I can safely say that this might be a game that has me spending time on a console tho.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Read Dead Redemption

For some reason I'm now imagining a game about a librarian, hell-bent on a path of vengeance, out to collect unpaid library fines.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Just let me be an outlaw cowboy in a free-roaming world, and don't Rockstar the controls (GTA IV is the only GTA that actually worked) and I'm there.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Gun proved that a wild-west GTA CAN work, it just needs more shit to do in it.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    falling_stonefalling_stone Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Gun proved that a wild-west GTA CAN work, it just needs more shit to do in it.

Gun was a fantastic attempt at this. But then it was just over. Like in a hurry.
    I do remember that red dead revolver had a very entertaining quick draw mini game. Hopefully the new one will deliver on some of the stuff.

But if we're going to do a wild west big exploration game involving lots of interesting stuff to do, why not just make the damn Gunslinger game already.

Tell me you crazies wouldn't love to run around as Roland Deschain.

falling_stone on
    This sig is too small - Elki :P
    snowfalling.jpg
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I never got to play RDR, but I always wanted to. Wikipedia says it's compatible with the 360, but that it freezes during a certain segment. Anyone know if it's a rare occurence?

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Just let me be an outlaw cowboy in a free-roaming world, and don't Rockstar the controls (GTA IV is the only GTA that actually worked) and I'm there.

I'd say GTA IV is the only GTA that didn't work, so I do hope they Rockstar the controls.

Also, Gun proved there was room for that genre. I too want to be an outlaw cowboy in the Wild West.
    I wonder if the Sheriff and his goons will engage in hot pursuits like police officiers did in GTA.
    And then you brake near a cliff and they all jump down.

Djiem on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The original was alright. Nothing special. I kind of expected more for Rockstar.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Djiem wrote: »

I'd say GTA IV is the only GTA that didn't work, so I do hope they Rockstar the controls.

Also, Gun proved there was room for that genre. I too want to be an outlaw cowboy in the Wild West.
    I wonder if the Sheriff and his goons will engage in hot pursuits like police officiers did in GTA.

It was the only one where you weren't constantly fighting the controls to actually go somewhere and do something.

But yeah, outlaw cowboy shenanigans will be awesome provided they can make it fun to play and give you enough to do.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Fixed silly typo in the title...

LewieP on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Djiem wrote: »

It was the only one where you weren't constantly fighting the controls to actually go somewhere and do something.

But yeah, outlaw cowboy shenanigans will be awesome provided they can make it fun to play and give you enough to do.

What? It was the only one where I was constantly fighting the controls to go somwhere. o_O
    Then again, there will be no cars in Red Dead Redemption, so it should be ok. As long as my cowboy can actually turn around without making huge stupid circles.

I also desire multiplayer. We need duels. With latency being what it is, I can picture the arguing:
    "You shot early!"
    "No I didn't!"

Djiem on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Red Dead Revolver was pretty fun, so hopefully this shakes out to be a solid sequel expanding on the first.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I like the original on Xbox. I just thought it was too short. Hopefully, that won't be the case this time around.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I only tried RDR and it wasn't that interesting to me, Gun was definetly more my style so if they can take that but add in more side stuff/better main stuff, perhaps some relationship/posse building, it could be pretty awesome.

And we need a Warriors sequel.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    And we need a Warriors sequel.

Or at least spiritual successor with similar controls/combat. The setting was fine, but the gameplay was really solid, and a lot of fun in coop, so I wouldn't care if they didn't get the license again.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    If it lost the setting it would have to keep pretty much everything else, having the clubhouse and building your gang was awesome feedback for oyur efforts. It'd only be better if you could recruit certain people who have individual stats and take out your own choice of allies.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Agreed.

LewieP on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Frosty wrote: »
    Red Dead Redemption features an open-world environment for players to explore, including frontier towns, rolling prairies teeming with wildlife, and perilous mountain passes - each packed with an endless flow of varied distractions

Only if the 6 star level means the sheriff sends gyrocopters after you

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Gyral wrote: »
    Read Dead Redemption

For some reason I'm now imagining a game about a librarian, hell-bent on a path of vengeance, out to collect unpaid library fines.

conan.jpg?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    anoffday wrote: »
    The original was alright. Nothing special. I kind of expected more for Rockstar.

Remember that before Rockstar snatched it up, it was a Capcom game. Rockstar acquired it very late in the dev cycle, so they probably didn't have too much to do with the game's content.

I absolutely LOVED the first one, by the way. This is amazing news.

cr0w on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Gyral wrote: »
    Read Dead Redemption

conan.jpg?

Korgoth the Librarian.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    SmokeScreenSmokeScreen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This makes my day. Not nearly enough western themed games lately. The thing I loved most about he original was that its aesthetic was hardcore spaghetti western. It looked like a Sergio Leone film and even used authentic Ennio Morricone music. Give me more of this with the open world gameplay of GTA and I'll be a happy camper.

SmokeScreen on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Just found the Kotaku article on this - all I can say is fuck yes.

The original Red Dead Revolver wasn't... bad. It was a straight-up third-person shooter, but what made it stand out (and these parts really stood out) was the art direction and music. It really took the feel of a spaghetti western to the Nth degree. The best part of the actual game was blowing a guy's had off and having a spurt of dark blood go straight up - one of the best game-headshots ever. Man that sounded dark. I probably played through RDR all of 4 times, total.

On the other hand, I l-o-v-e LOVE GUN. While RDR went for silly(ish), GUN went for epic (feel) and nailed it. I only wish there had been more to see, more to do - 'cause what they had was wonderful. I probably played GUN a dozen or more times.

The voice work, the music, the art direction, the writing - all top-of-the-line. There have been whispers of a GUN 2 (most notably - or ignorable - a poster for GUN 2 in another game by the devs), but if I can't get that I'll surely trust Rockstar to deliver an open-world Western fix. Make it big, that's all I ask.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    I liked Gun for the 4 hours or so it took me to finish it. All the build up to it and I just blew through with no effort. That was a HUGE let down.

cr0w on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    cr0w wrote: »

Remember that before Rockstar snatched it up, it was a Capcom game. Rockstar acquired it very late in the dev cycle, so they probably didn't have too much to do with the game's content.

Rockstar liked the devs so much, they turned them into Rockstar San Diego.

I had written off the possibility of a Red Dead sequel. This makes me happy. Even if it was just like the original rather than a GTA-in-the-old-west. Which GUN should've been.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Frosty wrote: »

This is all I needed to hear

I keep wondering why no one is making western video games, particularly ones that don't suck

I really hope this turns out to be great

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This makes my day. Not nearly enough western themed games lately. The thing I loved most about he original was that its aesthetic was hardcore spaghetti western. It looked like a Sergio Leone film and even used authentic Ennio Morricone music. Give me more of this with the open world gameplay of GTA and I'll be a happy camper.

Pretty much, spaghetti western turned into a video game is exactly what this game was. The Art/Music/atmosphere was amazing as I am a huge fan of the genre. Gameplay was solid, and, just badass. Can't wait for more news on this.

JeffH on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Warriors was hecka fun. Read Dead was actually a really good game, but as mentioned, there just wasn't enough game there.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I never got to play RDR, but I always wanted to. Wikipedia says it's compatible with the 360, but that it freezes during a certain segment. Anyone know if it's a rare occurence?

Am I the only one who still has his oXbox so I can avoid all of this ...?

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    cr0w wrote: »

Really? Wow. I didn't know that. Why did Capcom give it up?

anoffday on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    h8b1llg8ts wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »

Am I the only one who still has his oXbox so I can avoid all of this ...?
    I would. If mine hadn't had the power source fried in a thunderstorm. Up until then I played the heck out of it. Even had to buy a new dvd rom drive off ebay to replace mine. I was seriously considering buying one back from gamestop. I think they sell them for about 50 bucks.

anoffday on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    As far as westerners go I've only ever played GUN and Call of Juarez.
    This looks like it could triumph both.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I really liked this game on PS2. Great atmosphere, the music was great, they even nailed the ricochet sound that all westerns have.

Also had a pretty serviceable cover system, if I remember correctly. And the quick-draw mini games were lots of fun, and were a smart way to work in some sort of Western-style super reaction time without making it seem like The Matrix Goes Back to the Future.

RUNN1NGMAN on