As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Confederate Heritage

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    The entire debate has been the equivalent of "nuh-uh!" "uh-huh!".

Tell me, do you have a problem with the Union Jack? Because that was flown over far more enslaved peoples than the Confederate flag (which isn't actually the "Confederate" flag in the first place, but a combination of the Confederate Navy Jack and the Confederate battle flag) ever was.
    The Union Jack means a million different things, because it flew over all sorts of different things. Slavery was part of it, and that sucked, yes, but it was also there at the liberation of France from the Germans. England is a country that has existed for a very, very long time.

The Confederate flag flew over a country that was established for the purpose of perpetuating slavery. It existed for four years, all four years of which were spent doing one thing: fighting a war to protect slavery. The fucking flag is synonymous with the enslavement of black people in the U.S. It doesn't mean anything else because there's nothing else there for it to mean. There is no conceivable thing it could represent other than that, much like the Nazi flag, and if you're flying it and you're not aware of that, you're a goddamn gibbering retard, and if you're flying it and you are aware of that, you're a fucking racist asshole.
    I'd say that the meanings ascribed to it by the people who choose to fly it are what it actually means. You're choosing to believe it means something on your own, based on your views of history. And again, saying the Civil War was fought over slavery is like saying WW2 was fought over land.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Limp moose wrote: »
    This same course taken at VMI had an almost 180 degree slant. The north were aggressors and the south were valiant homeland defenders. Now why does this happen. They are both using the same source material and I mean history does have facts. so how do we end up with two different stories?
    Virginia Military Institute had postive things to say about armed traitors?

Something seems off there.

VIRGINIA Military Institute.
    Is it less associated with the U.S. Military than the title would suggest? Because if it's not, lionizing traitors seems like it would be frowned upon.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This same course taken at VMI had an almost 180 degree slant. The north were aggressors and the south were valiant homeland defenders. Now why does this happen. They are both using the same source material and I mean history does have facts. so how do we end up with two different stories?

LOL

mr robot you are aware that VMI cadets fought in the civil war on the side of the CONFEDERACY!

in their opinion the armed traitors were the north.

Haha that made me lol.

Limp moose on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Is it less associated with the U.S. Military than the title would suggest? Because if it's not, lionizing traitors seems like it would be frowned upon.

this country was founded by traitors that we lionize. but then again you are only a traitor if you don't succeed.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'd say that the meanings ascribed to it by the people who choose to fly it are what it actually means.
    This is not how things work. How would anything hold any meaning or be able to convey any idea if meaning were determined entirely by each individual?

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'd say that the meanings ascribed to it by the people who choose to fly it are what it actually means. You're choosing to believe it means something on your own, based on your views of history. And again, saying the Civil War was fought over slavery is like saying WW2 was fought over land.

Awesome! I've always thought the Nazi Flag should mean "I love potato pancakes." I'm going to make sure I fly it really high over my apartment so all my Jewish neighbors know how much I enjoy their latkes.

Hachface on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

VMI was essentially the West Point for the Confederacy, Stonewall Jackson was the Superintendent, until the 1970s they sang Dixie and saluted the Confederate flag, especially on May 15 the commemorate Battle of New Market was fought between VMI cadets, Confederates and the Union troops. Its a very Southern school

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    MagnumCTMagnumCT Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    For the record, this debate is silly. The people who fly the flag could give a fuck about the implications, and certainly would not frequent such a place as this. The people who are defending them are, as Yar said, probably just resisting the "South, yuk yuk yuk" thing in the wrong way. For my part, in spite of all the horrible things that go on down here, it's harder for me to separate the things I like about the place from the overall image of "South" that the rest of you see.

MagnumCT on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

The Confederate flag flew over a country that was established for the purpose of perpetuating slavery. It existed for four years, all four years of which were spent doing one thing: fighting a war to protect slavery. The fucking flag is synonymous with the enslavement of black people in the U.S. It doesn't mean anything else because there's nothing else there for it to mean. There is no conceivable thing it could represent other than that, much like the Nazi flag, and if you're flying it and you're not aware of that, you're a goddamn gibbering retard, and if you're flying it and you are aware of that, you're a fucking racist asshole.

To you. And most people educated in the north.

To them Not so much. I know black southerners who fly that flag. It does mean something else to them.

Limp moose on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    No, saying the Civil War was fought over slavery is like saying the Revolutionary war was fought because we didn't want to be a colony anymore. Sure, there were a bunch of other issues there, but when you get right down to it, that's why we were fighting. You haven't actually presented any evidence that the war was fought over anything but slavery. The members of the fucking Confederacy said it was fought over slavery. What more do you fucking need?

And again, if they're ascribing a meaning to it other than "support of black slavery," they're gibbering retards.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hachface wrote: »

Awesome! I've always thought the Nazi Flag should mean "I love potato pancakes." I'm going to make sure I fly it really high over my apartment so all my Jewish neighbors know how much I enjoy their latkes.

Symbols don't have different meanings depending on their context?

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Man! I can't believe you just promised to have sex with a blue whale. Or at least that's what I take your words to mean.

Man this is confusing, its almost like we need a shared lexicon of what words and symbols mean in which to cultivate communication. A "culture" if you will.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'd say that the meanings ascribed to it by the people who choose to fly it are what it actually means.
    This is not how things work. How would anything hold any meaning or be able to convey any idea if meaning were determined entirely by each individual?

in songs you care about the artists message and in paintings you care about the viewers interpretation. it depends.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

One of the core tenets in US history is the right to fight for what you believe in. The actual war in the Civil War was the last recourse of the secessionists, there were years of legislative wrangling before war actually broke out. Historically it's the same as the US declaring independence from England, just with a different outcome.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    In their defense, this is coming from people who think "y'all" is a word.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2009

Sure, you can say that. Absent any actual practical real-world experience with how symbols and communication actually work, that is. Have you done any reading on semiotics? Would you care to actually back up your startlingly bold assertion that you know who ascribes meaning to symbols?

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    And again, if they're ascribing a meaning to it other than "support of black slavery," they're gibbering retards.

Now you're just being closed-minded, Than. It could also mean "I oppose integration and stringent anti-lynching laws!"

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

The funny thing is I am sure they feel the same about you.

The south is a fucked up place. I am not saying you are incorrect. I am just trying to point out the reason for their line of thinking. However flawed it may be.

Limp moose on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Y'all is a fine word; it's a contraction between you and all formed in the standard manner. It also fulfills a needed function, as modern English otherwise lacks a second person plural personal pronoun. So lay off y'all.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    One of the core tenets in US history is the right to fight for what you believe in. The actual war in the Civil War was the last recourse of the secessionists, there were years of legislative wrangling before war actually broke out. Historically it's the same as the US declaring independence from England, just with a different outcome.
    Except that the U.S. listed a bunch of grievances with England (including economic and civil liberties) before they declared war, and had a bunch of reasons for doing it.

The Confederacy did the same thing, of course. Here, let me replicate that list:

1. Slavery

So, yeah, not quite the same thing.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

this country was founded by traitors that we lionize. but then again you are only a traitor if you don't succeed.

No, you're still a traitor, it's just that when you succeed, you don't have to face the consequences for your treason.

Also, my understanding of military academies is that the CW is studied for the military and political implications. They may have lost, but the Confederates had some pretty good battles.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Bullshit.

If a core tenet of "US history" was the right to fight for what you believe in, Daniel Shay would be on some money.

The US Revolution was fought because of no representation. The South had dominated the Federal government for decades. An election going against you is not the same as disenfranchisement.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Y'all is a fine word; it's a contraction between you and all formed in the standard manner. It also fulfills a needed function, as modern English otherwise lacks a second person plural personal pronoun. So lay off y'all.

Yeah, that's going a little too far.

MagnumCT on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    If that were how anyone actually used it, that would make sense. Except they don't, they use it in the singular, too.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    lazegamer wrote: »

Sure, but unless you're doing a reenactment or something then the stars and bars definitely represents some degree of support for the confederacy. That doesn't change just because some people are ignorant of it. That doesn't make them racists, but it sure as shit makes them look like racists.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    We do? I was under the impression I used it to address a group of people.

MagnumCT on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    If that were how anyone actually used it, that would make sense. Except they don't, they use it in the singular, too.

I will cede that using y'all as a singular is indefensible.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    jacobkosh wrote: »

Sure, you can say that. Absent any actual practical real-world experience with how symbols and communication actually work, that is. Have you done any reading on semiotics? Would you care to actually back up your startlingly bold assertion that you know who ascribes meaning to symbols?
    Considering there is such a heated debate over what it actually means, who are you to decide? If you're allowed to decide that, since racists fly it, it must be racist, I'm allowed to decide that since people fly it who simply see it as a symbol of southern life, it must simply be a symbol of southern life.

And if you want to get into what it actually means, it means "We are the Confederate army/navy."

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I can say honestly that I've never, in a one on one situation, ever been asked, "What do y'all want to do?"

MagnumCT on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well that's exactly how I use it. I honestly haven't heard anyone use "y'all" to refer to a single person outside of television and film.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    And I haven't heard it there.

MagnumCT on
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

And if you want to get into what it actually means, it means "We are the Confederate army/navy."

read: we support treason. with violence. to preserve slavery.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    lazegamer wrote: »

Sure they do. I made this point pages and pages ago. But how much context do you get from a guy with the flag on a flagpole in his yard, or draped across the back window of his pickup, or on a sticker on his car?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    This whole debate gets a little ticky-tack when it leaves "Slavery bad!" and turns into "You're all idiots."

MagnumCT on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    PantsB wrote: »

Bullshit.

If a core tenet of "US history" was the right to fight for what you believe in, Daniel Shay would be on some money.

The US Revolution was fought because of no representation. The South had dominated the Federal government for decades. An election going against you is not the same as disenfranchisement.
    No one ever said you had to be in the right to fight for what you believe in.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Considering there is such a heated debate over what it actually means, who are you to decide? If you're allowed to decide that, since racists fly it, it must be racist, I'm allowed to decide that since people fly it who simply see it as a symbol of southern life, it must simply be a symbol of southern life.

And what was the Confederate army/navy established to do? Oh, that's right, defend the institution of slavery. Thanks for ceding that one.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Kagera wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Sooo...if someone made a thread that was referred positively to the Confederacy, it'd fill with hate against the old South quicker.
    Well yeah because those titles attract different kinds of people.

There's always going to be two sides in every thread, the realists and the absolutists.
    This is like how everyone's grandfather in Germany was a medic, right?

Same way all the Allies were great people and did nothing bad except for the racial discrimination, looting, and other stuff.

See that's what you sound like to me. As if had you been raised in pre-Civil War South you'd nobly stand against slavery with pure righteousness and moral perfection.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    jacobkosh wrote: »

Funny that you call this a "debate." Many people in this thread have pointed out how inseparable the ideas of "Confederacy" and "slavery" are; PantsB went so far as to produce primary historical sources that demonstrate how slavery was not only the primary reason for secession but practically the only issue the Confederacy cared about. You, on the other hand, just assert that it can mean something else. You make this assertion over and over again. We're still waiting for an argument.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    Bullshit.

No one ever said you had to be in the right to fight for what you believe in.
    No, but you have to be a little more right than "I'm going to kill 300,000 people because I don't want them taking away my right to own black people."

Thanatos on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    MagnumCT wrote: »
    I can say honestly that I've never, in a one on one situation, ever been asked, "What do y'all want to do?"
    I have! In fact, I (by myself) went to JiffyLube today (Indianapolis, IN) and the young lady that went over my services with me asked "will y'all be wantin' our JiffyLube Signacha Oil Change today?" I had to ask her to repeat herself. She then went on to use the word "winders", as the plural form of "window."

/tangent

iTunesIsEvil on