As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Am Alive Because of SCIENCE!!

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So, does that include chloroform?

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Kagera wrote: »
    So, does that include chloroform?

Yep, in theory. Depends on concentration, but that could conceivably do it.

Some inhaled ones don't affect me, though. I've had nitrous when I've gone to the dentist, for example. That was a really fun and tense moment as the hygenist stood by with a syringe.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    ReaperSMSReaperSMS Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Let's see...

Born via C-Section ~11 weeks early, check
    Lived in a plastic box for 2 weeks, check
    Ruptured appendix at 4, check

SCIENCE!

... and just for a dose of Metal, apparantly I decided I needed to be breathing air when St Helens blew up.

ReaperSMS on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    galenblade wrote: »
    I was nearly killed by science, but then I was saved by science.

When I was 6 or so, went into the hospital for surgery on my eye. As they were putting me under, my body started freaking out, 106 degree fever, convulsions, the whole 9 yards.

No one knew what was happening, I wasn't allergic. One doctor (God fucking bless him to this day) immediately knew what was going on. He identified it as Malignant Hyperthermia, a fairly rare and mostly unknown at the time genetic disease that essentially kills me if I inhale anesthetics.

The doctor, and the doctor's training in SCIENCE, told the nurses to get dantrolene, a chemical created and refined by SCIENCE. They administered it, and instead of dying really fucking quickly, I was out of the hospital in a few days. Survived for a few decades now.

My eye still sucks, though.

Extra points for Science! Thou Art a Fickle Lover, and also for remembering the exact name of a chemical compound you were administered at the age of 6.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Obs wrote: »
    The real debate here is if there are more people who are dead because of science than alive.
    How many times do you have to be told, 'think, then post,' before it takes? Taking a page from the signature .gif that recreates Ege's horrendous 'rape doesn't hurt women' posts, we're getting to the point where it's quite possible for someone to make a rotating library of your gems of non-thought. :x

Anyway, Insulin dependant diabetic since I was six. Thank you science, for your genetically modifed E.coli.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    MagnumCT wrote: »
    To Obs' credit, this girl I knew? She blinded me with science.
    She blinded you with Science?
    See, I always thought that calling them headlights was just silly slang. :P

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    mystikspyralmystikspyral Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Let’s see... where to start?

The first one falls under the “I Almost Died Because of Science, but Then Science Saved Me” category. When I was a brand spankin’ new baby they gave me penicillin (turns out I'm deathly allergic). Once they realized I was having a reaction (screaming, turning red and swelling) they took counter measures.

When I was fourteen I shattered my ankle in three places running on ice in a snowstorm. Genius, I know. They thought they were going to have to amputate my leg from the knee down. Just going on natural order, no "civilization" involved, I would have been the weak member of the herd and picked off by a predator. Saved by a miracle doctor and science… sort of. At least my leg was.

I stepped on glass when I was twenty and I didn't get it all out of my foot. A week later I had red lines creeping up the veins in my foot and leg. It was blood poisoning. I had to have the tiny shards dug out and intravenous antibiotics pumped in... The blood poisoning went away; however, they didn’t get all of the glass out at the hospital. I had to go back a month later when my foot was still infected and have more dug out. Eventually saved by science.

When I was twenty three I was all messed up, dizzy, no one could tell me why. I thought science was failing me. Eventually it turned out I had a giant (bigger than a baby) sized blood filled cyst on my right ovary, which could of burst and caused me immense, writhing screaming pain and perhaps bled out to the point of killing me. It was, at the very least, squashing my bladder and displacing organs. Perhaps saved by science.

mystikspyral on
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'Fuck the lemons,' and bail" :rotate:
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The real debate here is if there are more people who are dead because of science than alive.
    How many times do you have to be told, 'think, then post,' before it takes? Taking a page from the signature .gif that recreates Ege's horrendous 'rape doesn't hurt women' posts, we're getting to the point where it's quite possible for someone to make a rotating library of your gems of non-thought. :x
    This has been done. I'm thinking about asking for permission to put it in my sig.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Anyway, Insulin dependant diabetic since I was six. Thank you science, for your genetically modifed E.coli.

That is awesome. Five points to you for reaping the benefits of genetic manipulation, and also for making me daydream for a good five minutes about 'Bioshock, The E.Coli Edition,' which was also awesome, though not quite in the same way.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Best I can say is that were it not for modern medicine, I'd probably be blind in my left eye.

Other than that I never get sick. Seriously, I have the constitution of a god.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My teeth have metal jammed into prior cavities. I for one am a big proponent of eating to survive.

Quid on
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sarcastro wrote: »
    Extra points for Science! Thou Art a Fickle Lover, and also for remembering the exact name of a chemical compound you were administered at the age of 6.

When your life literally depends on remembering that name, you tend to have it seared into your skull. :rotate:

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    When I was 3 years old I ended up in the hospital and my lung collapsed so they had to cut a hole in me to stick a tube down there to reinflate it, yay science!

Last Son on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    My teeth have metal jammed into prior cavities. I for one am a big proponent of eating to survive.

Seriously. Denistry kicks ass. More than most people realize.

One of the leading causes of death in ancient Egypt, and the main reason very few people (even the upper class! Pharaohs died from this shit) lived past 40 years of age, was death from bad teeth (infections etc...).

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Personal SinRPersonal SinR Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Science shot lasers into my eyes and now I have 20/20 vision! Surely I would have been easy bear prey if not for
    science.

Personal SinR on
  • Options
    AxeMeTenderAxeMeTender Registered User new member
    edited February 2009
    My daughter had bacterial pneumonia that didn't manifest as anything obvious but still almost killed her within 3 days (very FAST deterioration after a seemingly inocuous bit of lethargy / feeling fine cycling).

A witch doctor would have prescribed a few barks to chew on but SCIENCE provided the insane quantity and variety of anti-biotics it took to clear the infection and save her precious life.

AxeMeTender on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    On a sort of Science, Thou Art Fickle note, I'm allergic to sulfa meds. I'm not sure how allergic, because I don't remember being given them, but yeah, Science giveth and taketh away I suppose.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    On a sort of Science, Though Art Fickle note, I'm allergic to sulfa meds. I'm not sure how allergic, because I don't remember being given them, but yeah, Science giveth and taketh away I suppose.

Oh man, me too. According to my parents the one time I was administered them I got "snake skin". Snake skin!

Sal on
    xet8c.gif

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    I could share one, but I have a one that almost qualifies for "science almost killed me, but saved by science" that happened to my 2nd brother:

One day he didn't wake up.
    So he's rushed to the hospital.
    Doctor hooks him up, sees that his blood sugar is zero.
    Doctor starts pumping sugar into brother's body.
    Nurse comes by, tells doctor that the batteries in the unit are dead.

tl;dr A doctor almost overdosed my brother on sugar.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    fjafjanfjafjan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sal wrote: »
    On a sort of Science, Though Art Fickle note, I'm allergic to sulfa meds. I'm not sure how allergic, because I don't remember being given them, but yeah, Science giveth and taketh away I suppose.

Oh man, me too. According to my parents the one time I was administered them I got "snake skin". Snake skin!

Is that a product from Prescot Pharmaceuticals? (yeah I had to look up how to spell that)

fjafjan on
    Yepp, THE Fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
    - "Proving once again the deadliest animal of all ... is the Zoo Keeper" - Philip J Fry
  • Options
    sobriquetsobriquet Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have Hereditary Spherocytosis which means my red blood cells are created misshapen. The spleen attacks them as foreign cells, causing jaundice and other fun stuff.

As treatment, my spleen was removed when I was 10. The surgeon decided to swipe my gall bladder while he was at it. Turns out you don't need that either.

Downside: a compromised immune system
    Upside: my blood can kill people

sobriquet on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Science shot lasers into my eyes and now I have 20/20 vision! Surely I would have been easy bear prey if not for
    science.

Only 20/20? You got ripped off. My laser eyes are way better than that.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    sobriquet wrote: »
    I have Hereditary Spherocytosis which means my red blood cells are created misshapen. The spleen attacks them as foreign cells, causing jaundice and other fun stuff.

As treatment, my spleen was removed when I was 10. The surgeon decided to swipe my gall bladder while he was at it. Turns out you don't need that either.

Downside: a compromised immune system
    Upside: my blood can kill people

Five points for Not Needing That, and moving humanity one step closer to shuffling off our mortal coil completely, that our brains might one day be spliced into gigantic robot bodies! Hooray!

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Also, is a single collapsed lung fatal or does it just really, really really hurt?

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    diaaaaaabeetus! also asthma, lots of stitches... uh... crupe...lots of infections. Tons of Strep.

RubberAC on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sarcastro wrote: »
    Also, is a single collapsed lung fatal or does it just really, really really hurt?

Nah it can be fatal... depends on person though but most people would have huge difficulties with a collapsed lung not providing oxygen.

Daxon on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    One broken arm...

Uh...

Damn. I've had a lucky life, in retrospect.

Suriko on
  • Options
    MatrijsMatrijs Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    C-Section. Otherwise, actually, I think I might just be alive regardless. Of course, that ignores science's contributions in terms of eradicating disease and other potential dangers or predators, promoting hygiene, providing food, clean water, and shelter more consistently and efficiently, etc.

Easy demonstration of the undeniable fact that science saves more lives than it takes:
    Despite there being dramatically larger numbers of people in the world over time, expected lifespan has continued to increase, and is strongly correlated with technological and scientific development. Even if you attribute all deaths in modern warfare to science (which is grossly unfair - only our ability to kill people more quickly and efficiently is increased by science, not our propensity to do so), science still comes out way, way ahead.

Matrijs on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Also: My dad is a scientist, so I guess without science, I'd never have been concieved.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Haven't had anything huge and hospital-worthy yet, but I know my life would suck a whole lot worse without SCIENCE!

I can barely even read my monitor without glasses, let alone the stuff I'd need to live a productive life.

I didn't seriously consider slitting my throat when I got strep because SCIENCE! gave me antibiotics and a relatively short recovery time, instead of "oh god when will the agony end". Further, the development of delicious frozen treats by FOOD SCIENCE! numbed my throat down enough so that I could do something beyond curl up into the fetal position and mentally beg my bed to swallow me whole and crush me in its springy embrace.

Oh, and then TECHNOLOGICAL SCIENCE! developed this box sitting on my desk that I'm using to talk to you people, which keeps me sane instead of starting to talk to my action figures out of loneliness and thinking they talk back.

So, yeah. SCIENCE! hasn't saved me, but it's given me a far better life.

yalborap on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    SCIENCE!! has saved my life twice. The first time was when I was around 8 and got pneumonia. Surely it would have killed me without help from science.

The second time was when I was 12 and my esophagus started to close. Some kind of infection that left me hospitalized for a week.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yar wrote: »
    Or, you know, just stick to the OP. I do not think that I have been directly saved by any modern medical technology. I have never had a broken bone or any serious illness. Though I would probably have wooden teeth by now, which would totally suck.

I've been thinking about this. Medicine is just one field of Science, but not the only one that saves lives.

If you were ever say, kidnapped, thrown into the trunk of a car, and rescued later by use of a cellphone, I think you would still qualify.

If you were spotted drowning out at sea and rescued by a helicopter, then yes, you are alive because of Science!

If you were drowning because your hoverjet guidance system thought you were landing in South China instead of the South China Sea, then you were almost killed by Science. Bad Science! No Cookie!

I think though, that having your basic everyday needs (food, clothing, shelter) facilitated by Science! is only an Honourable Scientific Mention. After all, you may have still been born, and may have still survived. You might, for example, have been able to find a way to feed yourself without SCIENCE!, say by co-operating with your neighbor. Or by eating them.

Death Defying Tales! Aversions of an Otherwise Tragic Destiny! Frikken Laserbeams! Awesome!

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I was born without a pituitary gland. So without science (ie- synthetic thyroid, growth hormone, and testosterone), I believe I would be a "little people".

I know that's not saving my life or anything, but I'd have a drastically different life, for sure.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Without Science my daughter would either always be an only child, or not have her mother.

When my daughter was born the cord detached from the placenta and delayed the delivery of the placenta. This caused me to retain to much blood and my uterus could not clamp down enough to stop the bleeding. So I was in real danger of bleeding out. Had it been 50+ years ago I more than likley would have. As it was, if the catheter to keep my blader out of the way and use of oxytocin to help my uterus contract, I would have had to have a hysterectmy. Which would not have been possible without science either.

Mom2Kat on
  • Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Born with a heart defect - large hole between first and third ventricle of the heart. You know how they rate babies when they pop out on a scale of 1 to 10 in terms of colour, breathing, blood pressure etc? I scored TWO. 2 out of 10.

They cut me open and stuck my heart back together and here I am, 24 years later, waiting for the hammer to fall.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I was born dead. My mother's labor lasted too long and I had my own fecal matter in my lungs and spent my first 48 hours inside a machine.

My parents take great joy in reminding me (especially since I'm majoring in philosophy) that I was "full of shit from the start"

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I was born dead. My mother's labor lasted too long and I had my own fecal matter in my lungs and spent my first 48 hours inside a machine.

My parents take great joy in reminding me (especially since I'm majoring in philosophy) that I was "full of shit from the start"

:lol: oh my

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Nothing too major that I remember, but I definitely would have lost at least a foot if it weren't for IV antibiotics. Of course, the bike that I was on when I crashed and skidded 10 feet on the top of my flip flop clad left foot wouldn't have existed without science. Neither would the asphalt I skidded over for that matter.

Science is a harsh mistress.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Tetanus would have long since claimed me.

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I could share one, but I have a one that almost qualifies for "science almost killed me, but saved by science" that happened to my 2nd brother:

One day he didn't wake up.
    So he's rushed to the hospital.
    Doctor hooks him up, sees that his blood sugar is zero.
    Doctor starts pumping sugar into brother's body.
    Nurse comes by, tells doctor that the batteries in the unit are dead.

tl;dr A doctor almost overdosed my brother on sugar.

Science is pretty sweet.

...anyway, I can walk around without limping because of an artifical hipjoint that some quack wanted to stick in me at age 5 because my parents took me to a specialist who knew SCIENCE.

And wasn't an asshole.

Falx on