As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Confederate Heritage

• Options
    MagnumCTMagnumCT Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Bama wrote: »
    MagnumCT wrote: »
    I already get accused to not "bein' from around here" due to the fact that I pronounce my "E"s the way they should be pronounced, and not like "I"s. For instance, "I write with a pen, I sew with a pin" and "Get."
    I was ordering at a restaurant not five miles from the house where I grew up and the waitress said "Are you from around here?"

Ah, education. And I'd STILL be fucked if I didn't study theatre (thee-Ater) and have diction classes.

MagnumCT on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Now, having your economy based on free labor provided by slaves wasn't exactly the most humanitarian thing to do, but do you actually expect half a country to just say "Sure, we'll turn into a bunch of poor dirt farmers for the next two centuries" without putting up a fight?
    Yes? No one told The South "you stop farming right goddamn now." I'm pretty sure it was "you stop using slave-labor to farm right goddamn now."

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    I am from Texas, home of y'all, and I don't think I've ever seen (heard) it used in a singular manner.

"All y'all" (As in "All y'all need to shut the shit up!")is actually more common I think than "y'all" on it's own.

thats cause y'all is singular. despite the obvious contraction it isn't plural.

And yet I've never heard it used in a singular manner. The "all" implies a group.

Y'all need to learn you some slang, I tell you what. (that was to everyone in the thread. Note the "you"s used to address a plural)

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »

And if you want to get into what it actually means, it means "We are the Confederate army/navy."
    read: we support treason. with violence. to preserve slavery.
    The south didn't give "aid and comfort" to the enemy. The south was the enemy. It also didn't attempt to overthrow the government of the US, simply to remove itself from it. You can't commit treason against a country you're not a member of. Now, whether the Union recognized the Confederacy as a separate country is another story.

But considering that you seem to be just another northerner who thinks he's better than everyone in the south, it's kind of pointless debating it with you.
    Well, from the perspective of the Union, they committed treason when they fired on a U.S. military base, and seized U.S. military assets. And then, of course, there's the fact that the South was basically a client state of the North, the ultimate welfare queen, if you will; you don't get to just take your money and run. In addition, the South didn't even try to negotiate, they just decided "fuck all y'all, we want our own, personal black people" and went to war over it. This isn't quite East Timor we're talking about, here.
    Fugitive slave law, three-fifths rule, 54-40 or fight etc etc. There was at least a decade before war broke out where legislation was attempted and failed.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Now, having your economy based on free labor provided by slaves wasn't exactly the most humanitarian thing to do, but do you actually expect half a country to just say "Sure, we'll turn into a bunch of poor dirt farmers for the next two centuries" without putting up a fight?
    Yes? No one told The South "you stop farming right goddamn now." I'm pretty sure it was "you stop using slave-labor to farm right goddamn now."

True, but if you told shipping companies, "Quit using 18-wheelers!" I think they'd be pissed. And let's not assume I mean humans and trucks are equal, it's just the main mode of labor.

MagnumCT on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So The South had a decade to figure out that slavery wasn't gonna cut it for much longer and instead of taking the hint they just told everyone to "fuck off cuz we do what we likes 'round these parts?"

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    I am from Texas, home of y'all, and I don't think I've ever seen (heard) it used in a singular manner.

"All y'all" (As in "All y'all need to shut the shit up!")is actually more common I think than "y'all" on it's own.

thats cause y'all is singular. despite the obvious contraction it isn't plural.

And yet I've never heard it used in a singular manner. The "all" implies a group.

Y'all need to learn you some slang, I tell you what. (that was to everyone in the thread. Note the "you"s used to address a plural)

the all in that all y'all was silent

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ha! 'Tell you what." I love that one to, because frequently you can just say it and trail off.

MagnumCT on
  • Options
    Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

And again, saying it was "fought over slavery" is like saying WW2 was "fought over land." Slavery was how the southern economy ran, and having it suddenly removed would literally plunge the south into poverty. Kind of like what happened when the North won the war, and the South was plunged into poverty. Now, having your economy based on free labor provided by slaves wasn't exactly the most humanitarian thing to do, but do you actually expect half a country to just say "Sure, we'll turn into a bunch of poor dirt farmers for the next two centuries" without putting up a fight?

Actually the majority of southerners did not own slaves only the rich did. The economic failure after the war was in large part due to the war itself as the south was held to pay for the war effort of both the North AND the south.

Blacks picked cotton before the war and after. Forcing them to pay the slaves sweatshop prices after the war did not really change the cost of production. Especially because the owners no longer had to feed, cloth, and house their workers anymore.

Im not saying the war was not fought over slavery. It certinly was. But the common people were told the north was going to come and rape their women and let blacks marry their sisters. That is why the poor southerners fought. They could care less about slaves. They didnt have any.

Limp moose on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    And what were they supposed to do? Invent internal combustion engines and the combine? All for free? Magic a couple million new laborers into existence, and the money needed to now pay them to do a job that was previously done for free? You don't go from producing the majority of the products you produce with no labor cost to producing those same products with labor cost and not have economic disaster.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So The South had a decade to figure out that slavery wasn't gonna cut it for much longer and the just told everyone to "fuck off cuz we do what we likes 'round these parts?"

It's still government. Shitty government, but government. How often do we know of big changes happening but they're recommended to us?

MagnumCT on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Again, when the war started, the south was the CSA. Fort Sumter was seen as an enemy occupation of sovereign territory. What the Union thought of it only mattered after they'd won the war.

And again, saying it was "fought over slavery" is like saying WW2 was "fought over land." Slavery was how the southern economy ran, and having it suddenly removed would literally plunge the south into poverty. Kind of like what happened when the North won the war, and the South was plunged into poverty. Now, having your economy based on free labor provided by slaves wasn't exactly the most humanitarian thing to do, but do you actually expect half a country to just say "Sure, we'll turn into a bunch of poor dirt farmers for the next two centuries" without putting up a fight?
    Except no one was saying they had to do that.

I mean, don't get me wrong, the abolition of slavery was inevitable. But the South was the North's biggest welfare recipient as it was, so for them to pretend they weren't going to get any help is pretty disingenuous. Furthermore, pretending that the South's only two options were "free every slave right that second" or "secede from the Union" is ridiculously disingenuous; the Republican party may have been abolitionists, but no one was expecting them to free the slaves the very second they took power. The South wanted to protect the institution of slavery for slavery's own sake, in addition to protecting it as part of their economy (not that protecting as part of their economy makes it okay, either). The real problem was that the end of slavery would mean the end of the sharecropping/plantation system, and the end of Southern aristocracy. And the Southern aristocrats didn't want that to happen.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

And most Northerners didn't go that far, including Lincoln. Realizing the inherent problems in the Southern economy - their cast crops destroyed the soil and so more land was always required - most Northerners realized that without unfettered expansion the "peculiar institution" would die out. And that's most directly what the Confederacy was born of - not even a fear that the North would abolish slavery but the idea that they wouldn't be able to continue to expand slavery into federal territory without any restriction or that the Territories would be able to prohibit slavery.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

And if you want to get into what it actually means, it means "We are the Confederate army/navy."
    read: we support treason. with violence. to preserve slavery.
    The south didn't give "aid and comfort" to the enemy. The south was the enemy. It also didn't attempt to overthrow the government of the US, simply to remove itself from it. You can't commit treason against a country you're not a member of. Now, whether the Union recognized the Confederacy as a separate country is another story.

But considering that you seem to be just another northerner who thinks he's better than everyone in the south, it's kind of pointless debating it with you.
    Well, from the perspective of the Union, they committed treason when they fired on a U.S. military base, and seized U.S. military assets. And then, of course, there's the fact that the South was basically a client state of the North, the ultimate welfare queen, if you will; you don't get to just take your money and run. In addition, the South didn't even try to negotiate, they just decided "fuck all y'all, we want our own, personal black people" and went to war over it. This isn't quite East Timor we're talking about, here.
    That is actually pretty untrue. They tried to negotiate and actually purchase Union property that was in their states.
    On March 4, 1861, Abraham Lincoln was sworn in as President. In his inaugural address, he argued that the Constitution was a more perfect union than the earlier Articles of Confederation and Perpetual Union, but that the Articles had established the permanence of the Union in a binding contract. He called any secession "legally void". He stated he had no intent to invade Southern states, nor did he intend to end slavery where it existed, but that he would use force to maintain possession of federal property. His speech closed with a plea for restoration of the bonds of union.

The South sent delegations to Washington D.C. and offered to pay for the federal properties and enter into a peace treaty with the United States. Lincoln rejected any negotiations with Confederate agents on the grounds that the Confederacy was not a legitimate government, and that making any treaty with it would be tantamount to recognition of it as a sovereign government. However, Secretary of State William Seward engaged in unauthorized and indirect negotiations that failed

Lincoln was pretty intent on going to war though.
    So The South had a decade to figure out that slavery wasn't gonna cut it for much longer and the just told everyone to "fuck off cuz we do what we likes 'round these parts?"
    Pretty true, they knew shit was gonna hit the fan and really didn't do anything about it.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    And what were they supposed to do? Invent internal combustion engines and the combine? All for free? Magic a couple million new laborers into existence, and the money needed to now pay them to do a job that was previously done for free? You don't go from producing the majority of the products you produce with no labor cost to producing those same products with labor cost and not have economic disaster.
    You're telling me the profit margins of these farmers was so thin that there was just no money to pay their workforce? "There was no option BUT slavery at that point" isn't an argument I'm really gonna say works.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So The South had a decade to figure out that slavery wasn't gonna cut it for much longer and instead of taking the hint they just told everyone to "fuck off cuz we do what we likes 'round these parts?"
    That was the problem, they weren't told slavery was over. It only progressed to that as morality turned against them. The original deals were that slavery wouldn't be expanded past certain borders, but once the south saw that public and governmental opinion was turning against them, and would soon override state laws allowing slavery, they pulled out of the country.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ha! 'Tell you what." I love that one to, because frequently you can just say it and trail off.

It functions superbly as both the beginning and the end of a sentence.

"That's a buncha shit is what it is I tell you what."

"I tell you what; let's get after it when I finish my beer"

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    do a job that was previously done for free?

Whut.

Are you suggesting that slaves had photosynthesis?

All ending slavery would do is make the fabulously rich assholes merely very rich assholes who didn't get to beat people as much.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    And then they said golleee we're gonna make us a new country. Damn that constitution thingy we signed. What should we do first? How about attack that country up north that we just decided we're not part of.

hmmm. this is bullet-proof.

if I were to shout 'this is personal' right before I shot the president, then it wouldn't be an assasination!

even if i was really doing it to uphold the institution of slavery.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    if I were to shout 'this is personal' right before I shot the president, then it wouldn't be an assasination!
    :lol: Oh man, that cracked me up.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

True, but if you told shipping companies, "Quit using 18-wheelers!" I think they'd be pissed. And let's not assume I mean humans and trucks are equal, it's just the main mode of labor.

It's really easy now, with our modern sensibilities an all, to condemn the Confederacy. But, that's just the way shit was back then. Who here is gonna condemn Thomas Jefferson to the realm of uber-douche cuz he owned slaves? He was a great man, but slavery wasn't considered evil in his time. It was a social norm and, right or wrong, that shit was legit. Lincoln thought that, while they shouldn't be enslaved, blacks were a class of sub-humans. And he was a fucking progressive.

Give the Confederacy a break. They weren't fighting on the side of evil, they were fighting to maintain the status-quo. It just turned out that the status wasn't quo.

That doesn't excuse modern day dudes who wave Old Dixie (is that what it's called?)

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    And then they said golleee we're gonna make us a new country. Damn that constitution thingy we signed. What should we do first? How about attack that country up north that we just decided we're not part of.

hmmm. this is bullet-proof.

even if i was really doing it to uphold the institution of slavery.
    So you still swear allegiance to the Queen? Since, you know, the US broke from England "illegally" and declared its independence from its ruling country.

And they didn't attack "the north". They attacked a fort in territory that, due to their secession, now belonged to them.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'm not really that upset by the Confederacy. It's gone, we've moved on.

What I'm upset by are people that think that the Confederacy had it fucking right and they want to bring it back or hold it up as a paragon of sticking it to big, mean governments.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So you still swear allegiance to the Queen? Since, you know, the US broke from England "illegally" and declared its independence from its ruling country.

America is a land of traitors and invaders. Doesn't make further treason and invasion right.

"So did you!" is not valid.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Limp moose wrote: »
    The Confederate flag flew over a country that was established for the purpose of perpetuating slavery. It existed for four years, all four years of which were spent doing one thing: fighting a war to protect slavery. The fucking flag is synonymous with the enslavement of black people in the U.S. It doesn't mean anything else because there's nothing else there for it to mean. There is no conceivable thing it could represent other than that, much like the Nazi flag, and if you're flying it and you're not aware of that, you're a goddamn gibbering retard, and if you're flying it and you are aware of that, you're a fucking racist asshole.

To you. And most people educated in the north.

To them Not so much. I know black southerners who fly that flag. It does mean something else to them.

That means that they're ignorant to what it means. What's so difficult about this?

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

It's really easy now, with our modern sensibilities an all, to condemn the Confederacy. But, that's just the way shit was back then. Who here is gonna condemn Thomas Jefferson to the realm of uber-douche cuz he owned slaves? He was a great man, but slavery wasn't considered evil in his time. It was a social norm and, right or wrong, that shit was legit. Lincoln thought that, while they shouldn't be enslaved, blacks were a class of sub-humans. And he was a fucking progressive.

Give the Confederacy a break. They weren't fighting on the side of evil, they were fighting to maintain the status-quo. It just turned out that the status wasn't quo.

That doesn't excuse modern day dudes who wave Old Dixie (is that what it's called?)

o_O

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »

America is a land of traitors and invaders. Doesn't make further treason and invasion right.

True, but disparaging a country that attempted to found itself on the same principles as the country it was breaking from is also not right, it's hypocrisy.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    due to their secession, now belonged to them.
    No, not really how it works. They don't get to do that.

I mean, we can argue that the secession was legal and all, but I certainly don't agree that it was. Explain to me how their assertion that they weren't part of the US any longer was in some way a binding mandate that allowed them to simply take federal territory/goods and kick people off of it as they wished.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That was the problem, they weren't told slavery was over. It only progressed to that as morality turned against them. The original deals were that slavery wouldn't be expanded past certain borders, but once the south saw that public and governmental opinion was turning against them, and would soon override state laws allowing slavery, they pulled out of the country.

And proceeded to start the war, hence they were traitors to the United States. Yes, even though they said they were a different country. Just because they declared themselves a new nation didn't make it so.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Bama wrote: »
    Hachface wrote: »
    In their defense, this is coming from people who think "y'all" is a word.
    Y'all is a fine word; it's a contraction between you and all formed in the standard manner. It also fulfills a needed function, as modern English otherwise lacks a second person plural personal pronoun. So lay off y'all.
    If that were how anyone actually used it, that would make sense. Except they don't, they use it in the singular, too.
    Well that's exactly how I use it. I honestly haven't heard anyone use "y'all" to refer to a single person outside of television and film.
    I keep hearing this. I find it strange that the scant handful of times I've been in the South, I heard it used like this all the fucking time, yet lifelong Southerners have never in their lives heard it.

Strange, indeed.

All day every day. Checking out at a gas station? "Have a nice day y'all." Going to Kohl's? "Y'all come for the sales?" Buying cigars from the liquor store? "Y'all gonna get cancer."

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

True, but disparaging a country that attempted to found itself on the same principles as the country it was breaking from is also not right, it's hypocrisy.

Same...principles...what...the...fuck...is...going...on... D:

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I really struggle to understand what purpose could possibly be served in defending the Confederacy on any grounds.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Maybe an argument that the South's interests weren't being represented or taken into account on the federal stage? I dunno, I got nothin' here.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    due to their secession, now belonged to them.
    No, not really how it works. They don't get to do that.

I mean, we can argue that the secession was legal and all, but I certainly don't agree that it was. Explain to me how their assertion that they weren't part of the US any longer was in some way a binding mandate that allowed them to simply take federal territory/goods and kick people off of it as they wished.
    No secession is legal, until the seceding country wins. And as they viewed themselves as a sovereign nation, they were free to remove from said sovereign nation any perceived enemy. But again, that doesn't mean the Union viewed it this way.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

What, are you saying the South had no representation in government? Or that, since they were going to be overruled by the majority of Congress, they were justified? That's the way representative Democracy works. You don't just start shooting because you don't get your way. Same principles my ass.

And get this through your head: the Confederacy wasn't a legitimate country. They lost their bid for freedom from the United States so they were, at best, a breakaway territory.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Confederate flag flew over a country that was established for the purpose of perpetuating slavery. It existed for four years, all four years of which were spent doing one thing: fighting a war to protect slavery. The fucking flag is synonymous with the enslavement of black people in the U.S. It doesn't mean anything else because there's nothing else there for it to mean. There is no conceivable thing it could represent other than that, much like the Nazi flag, and if you're flying it and you're not aware of that, you're a goddamn gibbering retard, and if you're flying it and you are aware of that, you're a fucking racist asshole.

To them Not so much. I know black southerners who fly that flag. It does mean something else to them.

That means that they're ignorant to what it means. What's so difficult about this?

Read my earlier post about education and upbringing and see why calling them ignorant is incorrect.

Limp moose on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I don't think America attempted to found itself on the sole principle of "slavery is the most awesome thing ever, and we want to keep it forever!"

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Maybe an argument that the South's interests weren't being represented or taken into account on the federal stage? I dunno, I got nothin' here.
    Uh, actually, yes, exactly. It was seen as the north saying "you will now abide by our rules with no say in the matter, no matter how it will affect you."

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Read my earlier post about education and upbringing and see why calling them ignorant is incorrect.

Bullshit. I've lived in Georgia for most of my life. Ignorance, no matter why, is not a fucking excuse.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Yeah, this probably happened because their interests were the right to own black people.

Jesus, is the only reason these people aren't defending the Nazi Party because they aren't German? The flag of Confederacy is the official symbol of the goverment that tried to keep slavery. That is it. That is it's meaning. You can give it other meanings, but they don't mean any more then me calling a spoon duck. Nothing else. Displaying the flag of Confederacy is either racist, or ignorant. Nothing fucking else. You can't fight against this argument without also agreeing that displaying the Nazi Flag is okay if you just call it something else.

DarkCrawler on