As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wii New Play Control: Metroid Prime

RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Games and Technology
http://blog.wired.com/games/2009/02/video-wii-port.html

From Game|Life:
The waggle-enhanced version of Metroid Prime for Wii comes out in less than two weeks in Japan, and the ever-vigilant site WiiFolder has pulled down the promo video from the Nintendo Channel.

Looks like the game's been retrofitted to use Metroid Prime 3's interface, from the obvious stuff like pointing to shoot to things like the visor selection interface. It talks about the various beams that Samus uses in the game, which brings up an interesting point -- since so much of the Metroid Prime controls relied on having all of those buttons on the GameCube controller, how much if at all will the game design have to be reworked?

Metroid Prime for Wii will be available on February 19 in Japan. I'll be in Vegas covering DICE, but we'll definitely have impressions and perhaps a video of our own the following week.

It has not been announced for release in the U.S. yet, but the New Play Control series of GameCube games with Wii controls has been. So I feel comfortable saying we'll have this a few months from now.

We finally get video confirmation that Metroid Prime with Wii controls exists. Express your excitement/dismay/indifference here!

Renzo on

• Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh god.

The urge to buy a Wii and play Metroid Prime for the millionth time is overwhelming.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Awesome. If they just take the same basic controls as MP3, I will buy this so hard.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Updated Graphics too? I mean MP was one of the first cube games and all.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Updated Graphics too? I mean MP was one of the first cube games and all.

And even without updated graphics, it'll be one of the best-looking Wii games.

Renzo on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The video doesn't lead me to believe it has updated graphics. Not a big deal to me though.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    God I want it.

I want it so bad.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If they somehow make the controls the same way as MP3 and keep it as a budget release, it's such a definite buy.

By god, Wii-owners are just suckers for ports, aren't they? :P

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    On the one hand, this is a game that I own and have beaten years ago, and I generally don't care for re-releases.

On the other, I still want to buy it, because I'm a fucking whore.

Hrm. I'll toss a coin.

Zxerol on
    edited February 2009
    Zxerol wrote: »
    On the one hand, this is a game that I own and have beaten years ago, and I generally don't care for re-releases.

On the other, I still want to buy it, because I'm a fucking whore.

Hrm. I'll toss a coin.

Your coin reads "That's what your mom said last night".

Arde on

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Eh. I'm one of the handful of people who liked the Gamecube MP controls just fine.

Elendil on
  • NAPNAP Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Any news if it will support 480p and widescreen?

I thought Metroid Prime controlled fine already, but its one of my favorite games of all time and I'd be interested to see how it plays with Wii controls.

NAP on
    PSN & XBL gamertags in spoiler tag:
    PSN: napharris
    NAP26.jpg

Add me for SF4, I'll play anyone.
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fuck yes. I never finished MP - just beat Meta-ridley and stopped.

KalTorak on
    edited February 2009
    Arde wrote: »
    If they somehow make the controls the same way as MP3 and keep it as a budget release, it's such a definite buy.

By god, Wii-owners are just suckers for ports, aren't they? :P

I think I'd happily re-buy Metroid Prime as many times as they feel like re-releasing it - the game's that good.

I'm a consumer whore and I love it.

Edit: NAP - the video looked like it was running in Widescreen to me, and I can't imagine it wouldn't run at 480p

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    NAP wrote: »

I thought Metroid Prime controlled fine already, but its one of my favorite games of all time and I'd be interested to see how it plays with Wii controls.

I think all of these "New Play Control" series games are supposed to support 480p and widescreen. The linked video is in widescreen, if that means anything.

Renzo on
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I could care less about whether or not they upgrade the graphics.

Now, the speed of doors opening, this could actually be the deciding factor on purchasing this game (again).

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Now if only they would make a version of Metroid Prime 3 with gamecube controls so that I can buy that.

Blake T on
  • LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Eh, I beated a while ago aswell however I am tempted to pick it up. I paid under 10$ for it, and will consider buying this version. If there is anything other than these controls (mabye an extra boss or something, which I kinda doubt there will be) then I am proablly gona pick it up, if not, Ill get it anyways when it ends up being cheap.

Lagnar on
    edited February 2009
    Blaket wrote: »
    Now if only they would make a version of Metroid Prime 3 with gamecube controls so that I can buy that.

Your post != common sense.

Arde on

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Metroid Prime was the best game of last generation, and this is an enhanced version.

I will be buying this. Oh God, I will be buying this.

edit - I just watched the video. God, this game is still unbelievably gorgeous.

Graviija on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I can't wait to buy [Metroid Prime]!

Which version of [Metroid Prime] are you planning to buy?

All of them. Over and over.

I always love an opportunity to slug it out with Ridley.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is there any footage anywhere of the Pikmin port?

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    I wonder if they'll add in the voice over for the US version this time.

Or take it out again and then add it for the Euro re-release

FyreWulff on
  • NAPNAP Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Renzo wrote: »

I think all of these "New Play Control" series games are supposed to support 480p and widescreen. The linked video is in widescreen, if that means anything.

Now that I think about it the game supported progressive scan on the GC, so I don't see why it wouldn't be there.

NAP on
    PSN & XBL gamertags in spoiler tag:
    PSN: napharris
    NAP26.jpg

Add me for SF4, I'll play anyone.
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You know what Gamecube game they should release with Wii controls? LoZ:TP. I think it could work.

But seriously; MP was the first game I got for Gamecube, and I already know I'll likely end up getting the Wii remake (and maybe even MP2, if they're not full price).

TubularLuggage on
    edited February 2009
    Also for the record

Prime sold ~2.7 million copies
    Echoes did ~1.2 million
    Corruption has done ~1.5 million

Now imagine Prime's sales with the Wii userbase.

So far, Mario Kart Wii has sold more copies than there were GameCube owners.

FyreWulff on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm looking forward to a Pikmin port. Never really got around to playing those games but they look fun.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
    edited February 2009
    Renzo wrote: »

Now that I think about it the game supported progressive scan on the GC, so I don't see why it wouldn't be there.

Except here in Euroland, where Nintendo hate us.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fireflash wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to a Pikmin port. Never really got around to playing those games but they look fun.

It comes out on Friday in the UK apparently, so it should be soon wherever you are.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm interested to see how it works with the beam selections. The Gamecube controller worked perfectly for that: Dpad for visors and Cstick for beams. I'm thinking changing beams all the time via MP3's method is going to get rather annoying (recall MP3 had stacked beams, but prime does not). Especially the final boss fight, where you have to change beams back and forth rapidly.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Also for the record

Prime sold ~2.7 million copies
    Echoes did ~1.2 million
    Corruption has done ~1.5 million

Now imagine Prime's sales with the Wii userbase.

So far, Mario Kart Wii has sold more copies than there were GameCube owners.

Weren't there 22 million Gamecubes sold? I don't think MK Wii is quite there yet.
    Though honestly, I could see it passing that number sooner than later.

I'm definitely hoping they do a lot more Gamecube re-releases for the Wii. Some games would be so great with Wii controls, and there were some great games that got overlooked because of the smaller userbase.

TubularLuggage on
    edited February 2009
    I'm curious about the beams as well. Though if it uses the same interface as MP3 visor selection, it shouldn't be a problem.

I guess the analog function of the GC shoulder buttons will be lost, as well.

Graviija on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh god these ports..... They look too fantastic not to get. Super Mario Sunshine would be fucking awesome with the wiimote.

Big Classy on
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

wha?

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2009
    Foefaller wrote: »

wha?

Euro version had voiceovers at certain parts that the US version did not.

When they updated Prime (fixed some sequence breaking) in the US, they stripped out the voice acting but kept it for the Euro version.

FyreWulff on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I need to go and actually finish Metroid Prime 3 still. And Metroid Prime 2 for that matter. The first is still the only one I finished, but it kicked so much ass I will probably buy it again for the Wii.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited February 2009
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Oh god these ports..... They look too fantastic not to get. Super Mario Sunshine would be fucking awesome with the wiimote.

It...would?

Don't get me wrong, Sunshine was fucking awesome - but how could the Wiimote make it better? Galaxy only really uses it for Star Bits, and they're not in Sunshine.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
    edited February 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udK8egs8tQA

french text, but the euro voiceover is english

FyreWulff on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

wha?

When they updated Prime (fixed some sequence breaking) in the US, they stripped out the voice acting but kept it for the Euro version.

Really? I don't remember a voice at all? Another reason to buy it all over again!

edit: beaten by a minute! But I really don't remember any talking at alll.

Big Classy on
    edited February 2009
    Cowbomb wrote: »

It...would?

Don't get me wrong, Sunshine was fucking awesome - but how could the Wiimote make it better? Galaxy only really uses it for Star Bits, and they're not in Sunshine.
    I guess aiming the water pack, but that's used in a decidedly small amount of 'missions'.

Graviija on
    edited February 2009

wha?

Really? I don't remember a voice at all? Another reason to buy it all over again!

edit: beaten by a minute! But I really don't remember any talking at alll.

Yeah it was in there. It also did not even slightly make up for the six months we had to wait after the American release. Or the removal of some of the sequence breaking stuff.

I'm still bitter.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif