As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Button exchange website, can't remember...

• jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If there is, we need to be working together, RedHalo! Us Android App guys are working on a site independently!

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Aye, join us Redhalo! We have some nifty ideas for button registration =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    jonxp wrote: »
    If there is, we need to be working together, RedHalo! Us Android App guys are working on a site independently!

I know very little of Android myself, my brother who wants to go to PAX has a google phone of some sort, so this may be cool to see come to fruition.

I just have a simple form of sorts that forwards the information to a google docs spreadsheet that is shared to all. This provides an auto generated list of players. I still have to manually insert button pictures from provided links becuse google docs is gay but the final output looks like this. I'd post the form to see, but the css looks like poo right now. Works great though.

Android being android should have some way of pulling a google doc in for your prog. That would be cool. Did you guys have other ideas?

redhalo on
    edited February 2009
    redhalo wrote: »

I know very little of Android myself, my brother who wants to go to PAX has a google phone of some sort, so this may be cool to see come to fruition.

I just have a simple form of sorts that forwards the information to a google docs spreadsheet that is shared to all. This provides an auto generated list of players. I still have to manually insert button pictures from provided links becuse google docs is gay but the final output looks like this. I'd post the form to see, but the css looks like poo right now. Works great though.

Android being android should have some way of pulling a google doc in for your prog. That would be cool. Did you guys have other ideas?

The Android part is just a client that is capable of accessing it. Ours is a web based interface that will also store all the information, as well as give you a way to track your own progress, compare it to others, and will accept the button pictures. This is all done in such a way that you can access it from the web, from a native app on Android, and potentially a native app on the iPhone.

jonxp on
    edited February 2009
    redhalo wrote: »

The Android part is just a client that is capable of accessing it. Ours is a web based interface that will also store all the information, as well as give you a way to track your own progress, compare it to others, and will accept the button pictures. This is all done in such a way that you can access it from the web, from a native app on Android, and potentially a native app on the iPhone.

Hmm, where do I sign up.

redhalo on
  • BlainBlain Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The app for that isn't done yet.

Ba-dum, ching!

Blain on
    edited February 2009
    Oh so punny Blain =);)

VThornheart on
  • crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    leeesher wrote: »
    im a pax noob here, can someone explain the button exchange bit?

do you just pretty much hand out buttons throughout the expo when you recognize someone?

i do not approve of your avatar, sir.

IMG_2772.jpg

Ha!

for what its worth, ive had the anti-broccoli avatar for 2 years as my instant messaging picture. (Broccoli is the devil) ... i also wanted to create an anti-broccoli button with my username under it. Thats highly amusing. How about we just call a truce and share our broccoli buttons at some point during pax?

Also, I'm a girl, ftw.

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
    edited February 2009
    Just don't let the buttons touch: the resultant explosion would destroy us all.

VThornheart on
    edited February 2009
    Just don't let the buttons touch: the resultant explosion would destroy us all.

...Dont cross the streams!

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

do you just pretty much hand out buttons throughout the expo when you recognize someone?

IMG_2772.jpg

Ha!

for what its worth, ive had the anti-broccoli avatar for 2 years as my instant messaging picture. (Broccoli is the devil) ... i also wanted to create an anti-broccoli button with my username under it. Thats highly amusing. How about we just call a truce and share our broccoli buttons at some point during pax?
    Also, I'm a girl, ftw.
    Well that explains why you're so wrong. Broccoli is the bestest.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »

IMG_2772.jpg

Ha!

Also, I'm a girl, ftw.

More wrong! Broccoli ftl!

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited February 2009
    proXimity wrote: »

IMG_2772.jpg

Ha!

Also, I'm a girl, ftw.

I don't like you.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited February 2009

psh, my gender wins....and broccoli is completely useless. im going to pass on munching on some shrub that reminds me of every bush i burned down in zelda nes.

woo, a fellow broccoli hater! will you take my anti-broccoli button if i happened to make one?

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

psh, my gender wins....and broccoli is completely useless. im going to pass on munching on some shrub that reminds me of every bush i burned down in zelda nes.

woo, a fellow broccoli hater! will you take my anti-broccoli button if i happened to make one?

No wonder why I dislike broccoli so much. Those shrubs annoyed me while going through that fracking maze in Zelda.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • X3R0 9X3R0 9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I missed out on the whole button thing last year due to it being my first trip to PAX. This year will be different. I'm starting my plans now so that I have the cash to do what I want to.

X3R0 9 on
    edited February 2009
    Awesome! =)

VThornheart on
  • sum10fishysum10fishy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    X3R0 9 wrote: »
    I missed out on the whole button thing last year due to it being my first trip to PAX. This year will be different. I'm starting my plans now so that I have the cash to do what I want to.

Btons4life!! Yo.

sum10fishy on
    edited February 2009

yea, at least you went to pax last year. the button exchange sounds cool but its my first year at pax and absolutely no one knows me. i feel like id get the 'who the hell are you?' look if i gave out buttons to people.

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • tehnakkitehnakki Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Ditto! Last year was my first at PAX also and I ran into a couple of forumers with buttons and said ooo I wanna do that next year!!

tehnakki on
    Hufflepuff for lief, muthafuckers!

the 'teh' is silent: eljay ~ * ~ twitter ~ * ~ ravelry ~ * ~ last.fm
  • emorimikuemorimiku Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

yea, at least you went to pax last year. the button exchange sounds cool but its my first year at pax and absolutely no one knows me. i feel like id get the 'who the hell are you?' look if i gave out buttons to people.
    Last year was my first year and I was part of the button exchange and no one was like "who the hell are you?" even after I lost my buttons and couldn't give people zoidberg kirbys.

emorimiku on
    <emorimiku> j0z1e ... physically emotionally or mentally?
    <j0z1e> ummmm, all three? at once?
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I was just going to use my avatar again, but I guess we are supposed to do something new.

So I will make a Mentok The Mind Taker button.

I am not very happy with the Mentok images that I am finding on the Interet so I am going to pop my
    Harvey Birdman DVDs in my PC and take some screenshots.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • emorimikuemorimiku Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    why not just use the mentok M?

emorimiku on
    <emorimiku> j0z1e ... physically emotionally or mentally?
    <j0z1e> ummmm, all three? at once?
    edited February 2009

No, you totaly won't. Other than talking on here I knew two other people at PAX, one of which I had met at PAX the year before last. You wear a bunch of your buttons and you will instantly have friends.

sum10fishy on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2009
    We need a button that says "Buttons = Friends"

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited February 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    We need a button that says "Buttons = Friends"

Or, a half and half button like the BFF necklaces

sum10fishy on
    edited February 2009
    Aye, I mean look at it this way: the first year of buttons was last year, and most of the participants didn't know each other from Adam. It was the button collecting/sharing that helped bring people together, not the act of merely being at PAX.

As a personal example, the % of people I still contact from PAX that did the buttoneering is very, very close to 100%. I met a lot of people who didn't do buttons, but I haven't kept in contact with them. Mostly because we didn't have a common cause or situation to remember each other by.

VThornheart on
    edited February 2009

It was my first year as well. The first couple of people I saw were all like "Now that we're here, how does this work". By the end of the day, you'd be screaming "HEY BUTTONS!" across a crowded room when you saw some. It's like alcohol, totally loosens inhibition.

redhalo on
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    emorimiku wrote: »
    why not just use the mentok M?

Maybe. That might be cool.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
    edited February 2009
    Aye, I mean look at it this way: the first year of buttons was last year, and most of the participants didn't know each other from Adam. It was the button collecting/sharing that helped bring people together, not the act of merely being at PAX.

As a personal example, the % of people I still contact from PAX that did the buttoneering is very, very close to 100%. I met a lot of people who didn't do buttons, but I haven't kept in contact with them. Mostly because we didn't have a common cause or situation to remember each other by.

ok ok, you've convinced me. anti-broccoli buttons for all!

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
    edited February 2009
    Yay! =) (Though I like Broccoli myself =) )

VThornheart on
    edited February 2009
    i will get an anti-brocoli pin then eat it in a showing of how good broccoli is.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i will get an anti-brocoli pin then eat it in a showing of how good broccoli is.

...Crunchy metallic broccoli??

EEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
    edited February 2009
    with Tetanus!

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited February 2009
    The tetanus gives it that delicate spicy flavor! =)

VThornheart on
    edited February 2009
    I thought it was more of a sharp taste.

jonxp on
    edited February 2009
    lol, true! =)

VThornheart on
    edited February 2009
    Just finished my main button design. Better get on the ball, ya bums.
    moefwacky.png

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited February 2009
    I really like that one Moe =)

VThornheart on
  • AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    moefwacky.png