As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I Am Alive Because of SCIENCE!!

124»

• The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Tach wrote: »
    Born from a C-section? That count?
    Yeah. mum and me would probably both be dead if not for that, and my bro would never have existed.

Two broken bones and a dose of chickenpox aside from that, but those are survivable.

Thing is, most of the stuff that would have killed most of us in childhood we've never been exposed to. Diarrhea from contaminated drinking water, typhoid, cholera, etc.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited February 2009
    Obs wrote: »
    The real debate here is if there are more people who are dead because of science than alive.

Alive easily

Explain?

How many more have been saved then those who have died by bombs and bullets and wheels and diseases, all in the name of science?
    Try looking at a population chart some time. That sharp increase in the last century or two? Industrial revolution, baby. The two world wars didn't even leave a blip in that fucker.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited February 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    Obs stop being retarded. The only reason that science can kill as many people as it does (albeit in a a refracted way) is because SCIENCE HAS SUSTAINED THE LIFE OF SO MANY MORE PEOPLE

Stop trying to emulate my contrarianism. You are dumb.
    Pretty sure not everything is about you, champ

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited February 2009
    evilbob wrote: »
    Oh, after suffering my previously mentioned head injury I took part in a study on the effects of head trauma on brain development. So I participated in SCIENCE! that could help others be saved by SCIENCE!

bob! put that on your resume!

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Cat wrote: »
    evilbob wrote: »
    Oh, after suffering my previously mentioned head injury I took part in a study on the effects of head trauma on brain development. So I participated in SCIENCE! that could help others be saved by SCIENCE!

bob! put that on your resume!

previous employment:

job title: SCIENCE!
    responsibilities: constructing overly elaborate burglar traps, knocking self out and thus proving the effectiveness of said traps, taking IQ tests.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

edited February 2009
    part time 16-25 hours per week

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    part time 16-25 hours per day

Because only SCIENCE! can put an extra hour in the day!

yalborap on
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I was born yellow. I am no longer yellow, because of SCIENCE!*

*true story

Crimson King on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Apart from splitting my head twice (which was probably survivable) no. I mean I’ve had some immune difficulties, but without sciences changes to the modern world I’d likely not have it, and in any case it’s not fatal, just really irritating. Which is to say what has science done for me lately?

Leitner on
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Leitner wrote: »
    Apart from splitting my head twice (which was probably survivable) no. I mean I’ve had some immune difficulties, but without sciences changes to the modern world I’d likely not have it, and in any case it’s not fatal, just really irritating. Which is to say what has science done for me lately?

The polio weakened you so much that the smallpox finished you off when you were 7.

Don't you remember?

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hmmm...was born with yellow jaundice (or developed it soon after, I forget).
    Double root canal
    Jaw infection
    Some sort of freaky deaky allergic reaction that put me in anaphyalxis.

Other than that I've been lucky. Nothing life-threatening.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I was born yellow. I am no longer yellow, because of SCIENCE!*

*true story

heh same here

hi5 for jaundice.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well, if we're going that way count me in. Add positive modifiers for having an abscess in my butt.

Falx on
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I guess if it wasn't for science Green Lantern wouldn't have been able to beat me up that one time.

Crimson King on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The real debate here is if there are more people who are dead because of science than alive.

Alive easily

Explain?

How many more have been saved then those who have died by bombs and bullets and wheels and diseases, all in the name of science?
    Try looking at a population chart some time. That sharp increase in the last century or two? Industrial revolution, baby. The two world wars didn't even leave a blip in that fucker.

World population 10k bc to 2000 ad

Obs, do you see that giant vertical line at the end of that chart?

That has both world wars in it.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Alive easily

Explain?

Obs gave up several pages ago, and may not even be reading this thread. If he isn't, then who are you talking to? Have you gone crazy? Have you the brain worms?

Because if so, science can fix that for you.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Science cut that skin cancer off my back when I was six. Go science! Of course that was quite possibly caused by the decreased levels of ozone above New Zealand at the time. At least science cleared up its own mess on that one.

Starcross on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Alive easily

Explain?

Obs gave up several pages ago, and may not even be reading this thread. If he isn't, then who are you talking to? Have you gone crazy? Have you the brain worms?

Because if so, science can fix that for you.

Meh, it applies for anyone else too.

*twitch*

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Tach wrote: »
    Born from a C-section? That count?

Totally counts and I'm totally thankful for it myself. +1 Science!
    Also saved my father from chronic Lymes Disease, my mother would have died when she was a teenager due to the Beetus, My sister was born with Pneumonia and an Apgar score of 1, helped my moms father meet her mother, and he himself helped save lives for almost 80 years as a doctor :D

SCIENCE!

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Starcross wrote: »
    At least science cleared up its own mess on that one.

I had a moderately serious HA-MRSA infection once, damn doctors breeding superbugs - thanks science!
    On the other hand even more powerful antibiotics then drove it from my system - thus proving the solution to science is more SCIENCE!

Also another one for the born-way-to-early-and-had-to-be-put-in-an-incubator-with-extra-oxygen crew.

Dis' on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My kidneys decided to get together and mutiny. Science put them back where they were supposed to go.

MKR on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sal wrote: »
    On a sort of Science, Though Art Fickle note, I'm allergic to sulfa meds. I'm not sure how allergic, because I don't remember being given them, but yeah, Science giveth and taketh away I suppose.

Oh man, me too. According to my parents the one time I was administered them I got "snake skin". Snake skin!

Clearly you were this close to getting superpowers!

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    There are (likely) surprising amounts of people who are alive only due to science- Infertility treatments and such allowing people to give birth when it wouldn't otherwise have been possible.

Test tube (and related) babies definitely owe it all to SCIENCE!

El Skid on
  • archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Back on the topic of Autism/anti-vaxxers: Should people who don't understand science be allowed to make decisions that will negatively effect everyone in the population? By not vaccinating, you're not only endangering your child, but everyone else as well. Maybe, just maybe, the real reason we have more people with autism now a days is that we can effectively diagnose it.

"Oh, don't mind Timmy's silence, he's just kind of an introvert. He's a real bookworm you know!" or maybe he has a form of autism, one that wasn't related to a vaccine.

And even if there is a correlation, which there isn't, is it fair to potentially expose your child, and indirectly everyone else, to a terrible disease over a small chance of problems?

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2009
    When I was, I dunno, seven?I built a flame-thrower that consisted of a match rigged to a can of hairspray, then went around my patio setting fire to any plants that were poking through the concrete.

I supposed I am lucky that SCIENCE! did not explode and fill me with shrapnel, or burn down my house.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    archonwarp wrote: »
    Back on the topic of Autism/anti-vaxxers: Should people who don't understand science be allowed to make decisions that will negatively effect everyone in the population? By not vaccinating, you're not only endangering your child, but everyone else as well. Maybe, just maybe, the real reason we have more people with autism now a days is that we can effectively diagnose it.

"Oh, don't mind Timmy's silence, he's just kind of an introvert. He's a real bookworm you know!" or maybe he has a form of autism, one that wasn't related to a vaccine.

And even if there is a correlation, which there isn't, is it fair to potentially expose your child, and indirectly everyone else, to a terrible disease over a small chance of problems?

Give this man an Internet.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    More effective diagnosis along with 'autism' including a wider range of disorders.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009

The problem is parents assume autism can be 'caused' by something when the baby was born with it already. Because you really can't tell until they're like, 2-3 years old. They assume they did something to break their baby in that time, and then they go tell scary stories to new mothers who freak out, because everyone assumes they make 'perfect' kids.

I mean, it was discovered that I have an innocent heart murmur. Clearly that was caused by the immunizations, because it didn't show up until I was 4-5.

FyreWulff on
  • Mullitt The WiseMullitt The Wise Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I was born with a hole in my lung, and I had to stay in the hospital for awhile ( a week maybe? I'm not sure).
    Anyway, without science I totally would've been one dead baby.

Mullitt The Wise on
    balloonssig.jpg
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Man, all I've had personally to deal with was constant throat infections, though oddly never tonsilitis, as a kid and one badly broken wrist. Note, when falling of your bike, do not put out your hand. Also, be careful cornering on icy roads. I have bad teeth and eyes though, so I guess I'd be gummy and blinking without scinece.

In my family there's been a lot, chemo and radiation helped my dad get an extra sixteen years of life he probably wouldn't otherwise have had.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • FerdyFerdy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Science conspired against my fetal laziness and got me out of the womb. I was told that had this not happened, I would have died, and killed my mother also.

I now study earth science!

Ferdy on
  • SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ferdy wrote: »
    Science conspired against my fetal laziness and got me out of the womb. I was told that had this not happened, I would have died, and killed my mother also.

I now study earth science!

Extra points for a Saved by Science! toofer, retroactively extended to people from C-sections, birth surgeries, and owners of the alleged wombs. Outstanding!

Also, although radiation treaments are somewhat dissappointing to me in thier apparent lack of creating mutated superpeople, their awesomeness is no less diminished in what they do produce- longer lives.

Extra points because Radiation! is awesome, and also because that was pretty touching, glad to hear you got some more time.

Sarcastro on
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Science is totally freaking awesome, was born via C-section.

That's pretty much it, but I am recovering rapidly and easily from upper and lower jaw surgery to correct my horrible open bite. Now I can actually bite food off, have a decent smile, and get compliments on how much better I look.

Medicine! Which is co-related to Science!

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
    edited February 2009
    I was born with a hole in my lung, and I had to stay in the hospital for awhile ( a week maybe? I'm not sure).

Dude, I popped a hole in my lung by screaming so loud after delivery! I also had incredibly low blood sugar and had to get an IV? of sugar water stuff!

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Mullitt The WiseMullitt The Wise Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Dude, I popped a hole in my lung by screaming so loud after delivery! I also had incredibly low blood sugar and had to get an IV? of sugar water stuff!
    Did the hole in your lung affect it's development at all? I've always wondered about that, 'cause as far as I know it didn't do anything long term to me, but maybe I could've been a regular Wheezy Jefferson.

Mullitt The Wise on
    balloonssig.jpg
    edited February 2009

Did the hole in your lung affect it's development at all? I've always wondered about that, 'cause as far as I know it didn't do anything long term to me, but maybe I could've been a regular Wheezy Jefferson.

I'd doubt it, but I suppose it could be one of the reasons I struggled with distance running as a child. On the other hand, I did a shit ton of choir/show choir/other stuff wherein I was running and moving about.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    I was born via a C-section.

But on a more indirect note, I, not being the most physically adept person, would have likely not survived had I not been able to use my mind instead of my physical strength to gain money which then can be traded for the necessities of life that are produced more physically able people. How is all this possible? SCIENCE!

Premier kakos on
  • 3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I was born with strabismus, and had to have the muscles in my eyes re-attached, twice.

When I was 18, I developed a case of mono that led to viral meningitis. The typical case is 7-10 days, and mine lasted an agonizing two months. I was an invalid for about a year, just in recovery.

3lwap0 on