As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Found Ipod help

Bloods EndBloods End Blade of TyshallePunch dimensionRegistered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I found an Ipod while on at my job and after no one claimed it I got to keep it. It has a decent collection of songs and I'm trying to use Itunes to put the songs on my computer but it won't let me for some reason. When I try to explore it, it says it's almost full but I can't see any files. I can see 4 folders entitled recordings, calender, notes, and contact, with a single file called instructions. None of the folders have anything in them. When I go to Itunes I can't transfer anything, and when I try to sync it to my computer I get a message saying "will replace all Ipod data with files from your computer" when I'm trying to do the exact opposite. So what am I doing wrong?

Bloods End on

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ipods try not to let you take music files off of them onto the computer in order to combat file-sharing. If you're on windows, turn on "View Hidden Files" and you should see a series of folders inside with the music files. Problem is (unless it's changed) they're not in any kind of order. There are a bunch of free programs for getting themusic off of iPods, the only one i can remember is Ephpod, but I'm sure there are many others.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The way I do it is:

Unhide the files on the iPod.
    Find the music files. (the folders named f00, f01, f02, etc)
    Copy them to your computer.
    Set your iTunes to automatically rename and organize your library.
    Add all the f01, f02, ... files to your library.
    Profit.

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • Options
    enderwiggin13enderwiggin13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Alternatively, Winamp can read/write to iPods now.

Install Winamp, connect the iPod, it should show up under portable devices. You can then highlight the files, right click on them and choose "Copy to Local Disk".

enderwiggin13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]