As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Cosplay '09 [It's Over!]

• Options
    JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I curse you men for getting away with easy stuff for rengarb!

Women can go easy as well! You just don't want to ;)

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ....Pooh-Bear on you too. :P

P.S. Why do men look so much better in Ren-Stuff than in suits? ...IMO by the by.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    ....Pooh-Bear on you too. :P

o_O

*rereads post*

THAT'S NOT WHAT I MEANT!

I mean you can have easy garb....GARB

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    babelfish wrote: »
    I'd kinda like to try a Boomer costume, but that would be a total bitch.

Not to mention hearing 60,000 people yell "BOOMER RELOADING RELOADING RELOADING RELOADING" for 72 straight hours.

That said, I'm part of a group of 4 people going this year, 2 ladies and 2 guys. We'd have to crossplay Francis, which is fine, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with a white Louis.
    I'm considerably less comfortable with a blackface Louis.
    I am entirely uncomfortable with a blackface crossplay Louis.
    Let's not do Left 4 Dead this year.

AltDelete on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Note the consequences of being photographed at a game convention as a giant disgusting mass in costume.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Asiina wrote: »
    So very tempted.

cosplaync3.jpg

I soooooo wanna do this!

Edit:

Also, Cake!
    il_430xN.27707633.jpg

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    babelfishbabelfish Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    EvilBadman wrote: »

Note the consequences of being photographed at a game convention as a giant disgusting mass in costume.

All of which would be overwhelming positive, I believe.

babelfish on
  • Options
    algorythymalgorythym Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Personally I am waiting for something awesome to come out in 2009 that will be more relevant at the time. Not to mention that the L4D crew is a surprising difficult cosplay team to assemble. (We have a girl and a brown person, but he is not willing to do the bald, arg so close)

algorythym on
    algorythym.gif
    Someone let me algorhythm (steve_0990) into the PA Steam group
  • Options
    EkkosangenEkkosangen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm thinking about putting together a little something, but I'm torn...

RED or BLU? :D

Ekkosangen on
    eG6Oz.jpg
    <+Arco> You can totally bone with a baby in there. If you bump up against something, just apologize to the little dude and adjust.
  • Options
    Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ekkosangen wrote: »

Press "1" for "Random"

Rogue_hunter on
    PlayStation Network: Rogue_hunter
    Steam: Rogue_hunter
    Games for Windows Live: Roguality
    Google+
    Twitter
  • Options
    SpawnOfCthulhuSpawnOfCthulhu Also that Snifit guy. Gig Harbor, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm thinking about going as a g-man from Psychonauts.
    I can afford it, but I don't know if I can handle ALL THE PRESSURE!
    Psychonauts_g_man_06_by_NoName47.jpg

SpawnOfCthulhu on
    Wx8ay.png
  • Options
    Bobert_McBobBobert_McBob Registered User new member
    edited February 2009
    Interesting that this is the thread that made me finally, but I've been a lurker for a while. Anyways, a friend and I dressed up as Bishop and Knight from Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 at PAX last summer. You may not have seen us because my friend's combat boots turned out to be rather uncomfortable, so we only wore the costumes for part of the day on Saturday. Even then, we got a few pictures taken (~21) and interviewed by some website (I feel bad for not remembering now). But I think the best part of it was the people from the Ubisoft booth telling us what great costumes we were wearing.
    We're planning on doing it again next year, but among other things, we were thinking about bringing some sort of mock weapons to add to the realism. Which brings up a few problems, namely, what is PAX's stance on them? I know what the US laws are (I'm Canadian and I'd need to get them across the border) regarding them, or at least have a general idea.
    Secondly, I decided to post to see if there were any ideas I could offer to other people.
    I think my first tip would be eBay is a great source for lots of stuff. About half of my costume (and most of y friend's) came from eBay. I would have gotten more (bought most of it from surplus stores) from there, but I was sort of constrained for time and got what I needed three days before leaving for PAX.
    Second tip, footwear is important at an event like PAX (not just for those in costume).

l270192c68d062f3319e06acz7.th.jpg
    I'm on the left. (Sorry if ImageShack sucks.)

Bobert_McBob on
  • Options
    runwiledrunwiled Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The short answer on weapons is err on the side of caution and don't bring them. Although US law is more lenient, I remember in last year's Cosplay thread that Seattle law takes precident and that a 'weapon' is anything considered threatening. Someone can correct me on this, but I seem to recall that it was somewhat abiguously restrictive.

runwiled on
    mpmdoodsig.jpg
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Scroll down on the OP for the Prop Weapon Mini FAQ.

CaptainTapole on
  • Options
    AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Saw Coraline on Friday. It's settled. Sarah and I want to cosplay the Other Mother and the Other Father (aka: Alternate Reality 3D Virtual John Hodgman)

Really, the only thing we're stumped on is how to make / find / see through those giant button eyes.

Any recommendations?

AltDelete on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    dammit...there goes my pirate sword

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    AltDelete wrote: »
    Saw Coraline on Friday. It's settled. Sarah and I want to cosplay the Other Mother and the Other Father (aka: Alternate Reality 3D Virtual John Hodgman)

Really, the only thing we're stumped on is how to make / find / see through those giant button eyes.

Any recommendations?

Try drilling some really dark sunglasses that way you can see through them.

MaoChan on
  • Options
    theansanametheansaname Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This might sound like a shocker to some of you

but lets try and have a convention where there

is NOT a SEPHIROTH cosplayer. Kthxbai.

theansaname on
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't recall seeing a Sephiroth cosplayer last year.

parabola on
  • Options
    runwiledrunwiled Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    parabola wrote: »
    I don't recall seeing a Sephiroth cosplayer last year.

I don't think there's been a Sephiroth player ANY year.

runwiled on
    mpmdoodsig.jpg
  • Options
    SpawnOfCthulhuSpawnOfCthulhu Also that Snifit guy. Gig Harbor, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Alright, I have my basic costume designed, the only thing i'm worried about is the black facemask and the trenchcoat being really freaking hot in the convention center.
    It would also help me greatly with any tips that would stop me from breaking character (although the g-man has little)
    Any tips to help me would be awesome, it's my first time in a looong while doing this.

SpawnOfCthulhu on
    Wx8ay.png
  • Options
    Bobert_McBobBobert_McBob Registered User new member
    edited February 2009
    There was a cloud for sure.
    Back on the issue of mock weapons, being from Vancouver and having lots of movies filmed here, there are prop rental places where one can rent coloured rubber replica weapons (not sure what they're exactly used for, maybe practicing a fight). I'm pretty sure those are hard to mistake for real, but would still like to able to get the effect.

Bobert_McBob on
  • Options
    Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah I was thinking of maybe going as Yuna but then again she's kinda of common,plus I don't want to carry around my staff all day (yes I have the staff you may hit me for being a dweeb) so back to Rao I am, don't worry I won't have my boobs flying all over the place.

I finished the necklace part and it looks really good! I added five layers of paint to fist sized styrofoam balls and then glossed it over with this spray on stuff that made them really shiny and...uh hard.

Me and my sister got into a big fight over how big and what material they should be over. I have never said "wood" "balls" and "they should be bigger than my fist" so many times in my life in the same conversation. And we were going at each others throats over it.

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    goddessofkatsgoddessofkats Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hey! I am glad to see this is back up. But yeah, where is Lyanth???
    I am lettin u all know that I am going to do Harleyquinn again, becuase this year my friends are actually going to dress up with me.
    And I'm doing Joanna Dark, PDZ edition. I don't like PDZ, but I adore the N64 game. Unfortunately her outfit is not that appealing in the N64 version.

I'm excited to see everyone. and this year, we should get a group shot!

goddessofkats on
    Kat ^..^[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I am lettin u all know that I am going to do Harleyquinn again, becuase this year my friends are actually going to dress up with me.
    And I'm doing Joanna Dark, PDZ edition. I don't like PDZ, but I adore the N64 game. Unfortunately her outfit is not that appealing in the N64 version.

Hey did you ever get the viddeo of us Bad Horsing you from that guy?

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm gonna get into this thread early this year... last year, I cobbled together a quick ensemble to go as the main character of Persona 3, and this year, I've already got plans to continue the theme by going as the main character (or perhaps some other male) from Persona 4. I'm trying to get my sister to do some work for me in making a jacket, so I hope it goes well. If anyone else is planning on doing something from the game, let's see if we can coordinate something.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    To the OP: your Snake outfit was amazing.

I'd like to do something this year, but I guess we'll see. I had planned to do Jin from P3 last year, but that never panned out.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    After some really awesome cosplay at Wai-con here in Perth I am tempted to get some cosplay action happening for PAX09. Still not sure what to go for though, I was thinking ODST from Halo since that is coming out this year, I keep coming back to Scorpion from Mortal Kombat since it would be easier to both make and wear, also I have a thing with masks.

I may just break out Zombie LeChuck complete with Guybrush voodoo doll. ANyone feel like joining me as Guybrush? :P

CuZZa on
  • Options
    nintendoXOnintendoXO Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Oooo I have 3 planned out Heavy,spy and medic :D I will go RED if you go BLU? :D

nintendoXO on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    nintendoXO wrote: »

Oooo I have 3 planned out Heavy,spy and medic :D I will go RED if you go BLU? :D

/!\MY GIRLFRIEND/!\ and I have settled on a Red Engie (me) and Sniper (her), if that'll influence anyone.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    JonnyNero wrote: »

Hey did you ever get the viddeo of us Bad Horsing you from that guy?

No!!! I really wish I could find it! XD That was one of my favorite moments in my life ever!

goddessofkats on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

/!\MY GIRLFRIEND/!\ and I have settled on a Red Engie (me) and Sniper (her), if that'll influence anyone.

XD I like the exaggeration around MY GIRLFRIEND.
    OH MAN! Not to mention your ON A BOAT!!!!! Well, I'm on a dolphin doin flips and shit...

goddessofkats on
  • Options
    nintendoXOnintendoXO Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

XD I like the exaggeration around MY GIRLFRIEND.
    OH MAN! Not to mention your ON A BOAT!!!!! Well, I'm on a dolphin doin flips and shit...

OK! so...we all should meet up :D and do you guys play for xbox or pc? Im always looking for people to play with. ^_^

nintendoXO on
  • Options
    Farout FoolioFarout Foolio Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think my girlfriend and I might re-hash Mario and Rosalina, just because we already have the costumes. But eight months is a long time! Who knows?

Farout Foolio on
    2tyFzTC.png

• Options
    Queen BrewerQueen Brewer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Qs23 wrote: »
    Maybe that will slow you down for the BYOC contest this year like dressing up as Waldo did for me.

Side note: Waldo is coming back better then before with more Objects from the first book attached to myself.
    I'll make sure he has full mobility. We will be triumphant again!

Queen Brewer on
    <Moe_Fwacky> once i had next door neighbors
    <Moe_Fwacky> nice girls
    <Moe_Fwacky> lesbians
    <Moe_Fwacky> robbed drugstores together
  • Options
    HoolieHoolie Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Loved the guys who came as The Sims characters last year. Clever.

Hoolie on
  • Options
    HammyHammy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    CuZZa wrote: »
    After some really awesome cosplay at Wai-con here in Perth I am tempted to get some cosplay action happening for PAX09. Still not sure what to go for though, I was thinking ODST from Halo since that is coming out this year, I keep coming back to Scorpion from Mortal Kombat since it would be easier to both make and wear, also I have a thing with masks.

I may just break out Zombie LeChuck complete with Guybrush voodoo doll. ANyone feel like joining me as Guybrush? :P
    I guess I can bring out my Guybrush cosplay again if I have evil to thwart. :P

Hammy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Might not dress as one, but my best friend crocheted me a SackBoy for my birthday, so I will probably bring that.

CaptainTapole on
  • Options
    Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    In an orchestrated convergence of several independently unassuming personal fashion selections, I could end up dressed as James Sunderland on any given day at the Expo.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Options
    xxhennersxxxxhennersxx Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    my GF wants me to wear my show accurate Red Ranger costume...But I'm not sure.

I know Rocco from Mega64 would get a kick out of it. Fucker still watches and loves Power Rangers.

xxhennersxx on
This discussion has been closed.