As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Screw it....Help with Halo 2 Rules!!!

Zig21Zig21 Registered User regular
edited March 2005 in PAX Archive
Well, Gameclucks isn't getting back to me, so I'll just use the MLG rules as a starting point: http://www.mlgpro.com/register/city_view.php?eid=25&rules=1

Rules:
Team Slayer, 4 vs 4
First to 50 kills
15 minute time limit
5 second respawn time
10 second suicide penalty
Custom weapon set
No radar
Map selection is still being decided

The initial round will be pool play, using single elim brackets. Probably no more than 8 teams per pool, hopefully less. Best of 1 game.

Once we have the last 32 teams, they'll be re-seeded into a 32 team single elim bracket. It'll likely be best of 1 game still, but finals at least will be best of 3 games, maybe have semi-finals be best of 3 as well.

Now, the weapon set and map rotation are what I'm concerned with. I have no experience playing Halo 2 in tournies, so if you have a lot of tourney experience, feel free to give input. I want something that's fair from a competetive standpoint but has good diversity to satisfy the casual players.

As for maps, which are ideal for 4v4 games? The more the merrier, as we'll have a different map every round in the tourney. For example, say your pool starts with 8 teams and the map is Battle Creek. In the next round only 4 teams remain, and the map is changed to Midship.

I noticed MLG banned the sword from their FFA round games. I assume it's not an issue in team play, where there's much less of a randomness factor?

Finally, if no Gameclucks members attend, I'll be lost when it comes to seeding. If you're involvined in the Halo community and learn of any teams who plan on attending, please let me know. If you're attending PAX yourself, even better, as Halo 2 registration isn't till the expo itself.

Born to Duck
Zig21 on

• BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2005
    i say never ever do midship

because that map sucks

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    I disagree, partially. Midship is perfect for 1v1 Slayer with swords to 25. Just sneaking around with the creepy music (and Midship does have creepy music), never interrupted by that goddamned-annoying SMG chatter or grenade explosions. The occasional *Vvvvtshhhh* as one or another scores a point, but it all comes down to awareness, unpredictable movement and a quick finger on the trigger.

I would add that a round or two that "encourage" (read force) rarely-used weapons/vehicles would be a major boon to the fun factor.

Example:
    4 vs 4 CTF to 3 caps
    Coagulation
    Brute Shots & Sentinel Beams only
    Spectres, no other vehicles

Since the spectre can take 4 people, you'd end up with these huge battleship wars with fully-loaded spectres passing mid-map, exchanging main cannon and beam fire. It'd be glorious!

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • Zig21Zig21 Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    We're not doing anything besides team slayer, sorry.

No changes to the settings either, just too much of a hassle.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited March 2005
    Okay, then. May I suggest a heavy emphasis on the new DLC maps?

According to Bungie, they should be free by the time PAX hits, and it sounds like Team Slayer on Turf would be fantastic.

P.S.: Just out of curiosity, why no CTF?

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited March 2005
    Because CTF games can end in ties and ties are bad when it comes to scheduling.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • TobiTobi Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    Thank god.

I'm really glad you decided on using MLG rules.

To answer some of your questions...

*If you're abiding by MLG rules, then the weapon set will be spawning with a Battle Rifle (instead of the SMG) with default weapons on map. Two grenades for 4v4 and no motion sensor. This is ideal for either the casual or the advanced player, because the default map settings still allows for dual wielding. And the battle rifle makes advanced players a bit happier...
    *The sword isn't used in the FFA (Battle rifle spawn and map default is still used, you just can't pick up the sword) but it is fine in 4v4 team slayers.
    *The maps usually used for 4v4 team slayer are Beaver Creek, Ascension, Zanzibar and Lockout...really any maps that aren't small (Midship, etc) or huge (collosus, coagulation, headlong). Smaller maps like midship are ideal for FFA. The larger maps are not used in competitions.

I'm not sure if you've seen the actual rules or not, but it's definately worth looking at:
    http://www.mlgpro.com/register/city_view.php?eid=25&rules=1
    (It terms of letting people know what glitching is OKAY and what they should stay the hell away from...)
    I'm pretty involved in the Halo community, and I know of several teams who will be attending PAX and competing in the Halo tourney. My girls (http://www.pmsclan.com) will be going for sure.

Okay, I think I've blabbed enough. I'm happy to give you more feedback or ideas if you need it!

Tobi on
    PMS clan + My 1UP profile + Myspace +

GT(s): sagaciouz (Xbox 360), Annarchy (Halo 2)
    edited March 2005
    Oh yeah, thanks for remeinding me about glitches. Which are pretty serious and should be banned for sure?

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2005
    Most of the serious glitchs should be fixed before PAX, they damn well better be, in fact they are fixing some as a patch in April and you should probably check what glitchs are still around at that point and which apply to LAN play so you know what to look for, and ban people using them.

Also, with 9 new maps being available before PAX, will any of those make it into the tournament? Though again, theyd have to be played to see if they are tournament quality so that remains to be seen. Id at least think about the free ones, Containment and Warlock as considerations, and im sure some people wouldnt mind bringing the expansion disc to PAX and install the maps on all the Boxes there, I know I plan on buying it even though theyll be free through Live eventually, I have a friend that doesnt have Live that may want them, and I can bring it to PAX as well.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited March 2005
    Thank god for the BR rule. Spray 'n Pray has no place in a tourney.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    edited March 2005
    Also, with 9 new maps being available before PAX, will any of those make it into the tournament?

Hopefully, I'd like to add more. I actually intend to play Halo 2 a bit in the coming months, so I'll check them out for myself.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Viirix1Viirix1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    me and my brother really...i mean reeeeallly...want to participate in the tourny but alas there are but two us. is there anyway for there to be a kind of randomness sign up sheet where people without teams can sign up to play and be put on a team. or is that what we are doing. i am so confused.
    peace

Viirix1 on
    IF I DONT LIKE ME...WHO WILL?
    edited March 2005
    Don't worry, getting people together who don't have a complete team will definitely be a top priority.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Viirix1Viirix1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    Awesomeness to the x-treme...hmmm, or not that great.
    peace

Viirix1 on
    IF I DONT LIKE ME...WHO WILL?
    edited March 2005
    'aight, got it down. Thanks for helping guys.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
This discussion has been closed.