As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On]DYSTOPIA 1.2- Out on Steam!

• BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Never really heard or played this before, but it looks kickass, so what the heck.

Downloading now, already joined the group.

Biosys on
  • Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm definitely going to download this and join the new Steam group today. Evilbadman, how goes it? I remember playing this w/ you and Cango back in the day.

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It go good, sir. It go good. New PC inbound courtesy of the IRS.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's not in my games list nor can I search for it. Someone help me waste time, too!

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's not in my games list nor can I search for it. Someone help me waste time, too!

Look on the Steam store page, under Game Mods.

So I played this some time ago, but the vertical learning curve pretty much put me off it. That and the fact that I was in a server with all these 1337-speaking kids pretty much made me stop playing it. I'm eager to try it again with some PA peeps though, as the concept still sounds pretty fucking cool.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

http://store.steampowered.com/app/17580/

Peewi on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I played this mod over 2+ years ago. I thought it was great, I was amazed to see it advertised on steam (still remember some of the maps too).

I constantly get the ninja award: most kills with the light katana hah.

Dissociater on
    edited February 2009
    So, is it really that hard to learn?

The normal shooty stuff looks pretty simple, but the hacking stuff looks slightly (ie. a lot) more complicated.

Is there a tutorial, or am I best off just setting up a quick private server to test it out?

Biosys on
    edited February 2009
    Biosys wrote: »

The normal shooty stuff looks pretty simple, but the hacking stuff looks slightly (ie. a lot) more complicated.

Is there a tutorial, or am I best off just setting up a quick private server to test it out?

There is a tutorial that teaches you some of the basics. Assuming it's the same as in 1.1, some of it is a little confusing and poorly explained.

Peewi on
    edited February 2009
    Peewi wrote: »

There is a tutorial that teaches you some of the basics. Assuming it's the same as in 1.1, some of it is a little confusing and poorly explained.

Alright, I'll do the private server thing then, if the tutorial doesn't teach me anything intresting.

Also, woah, woah. Woah.

This game has katanas?

I'm gonna download it twice.

Biosys on
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    How do I uninstall the original Dystopia from my steam list? It's the one listed as "100% - Third Party Mod"

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    How do I uninstall the original Dystopia from my steam list? It's the one listed as "100% - Third Party Mod"

Go to your steamapps folder, then click the SourceMods folder, then remove the entire Dystopia folder. Restarting Steam will then remove the icon.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ampix wrote: »
    Lord Jezo wrote: »

Go to your steamapps folder, then click the SourceMods folder, then remove the entire Dystopia folder. Restarting Steam will then remove the icon.

Cool, thanks for telling me where to look.

I found a Dystopia uninstall file hidden in E:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods folder.

Wonder what it was doing there.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I played this game a while back when there were only like, three maps. Even then I'd put it up there with Natural Selection in the "difficult mods that are fucking quality" genre.

Never understood the hacking stuff though.

chasehatesbears on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This game is awesome.

august on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The problem with hacking is that there is a limited amount of terminals, and you always want your best hackers hacking so its hard to get experience in real games.

Inquisitor on
    edited February 2009
    Awesome, downloaded, just about to KATANA the KATANA out of this KATANA.

By which I mean, respectively, 'play', 'shit', and 'game'.

Biosys on
    edited February 2009
    Oh man, I don't know what to do on any of these new maps.

I'm just falling back on my old strategy of what to do when I'm clueless: Assault rifle, healing kit, medium armor, follow someone who seems like they have a clue.

Inquisitor on
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    The problem with hacking is that there is a limited amount of terminals, and you always want your best hackers hacking so its hard to get experience in real games.

Unless its a clan match, im only going to be annoyed at you decking if

A)You dont know what you're doing
    and
    B) You're not listening.

If you can follow directions, I will help you in every way I can.

If you cant, I will OH CRAP A CLOAKED ENEMY IM TOSSING AN EMP

Oh wait, no, theres nobody.

CangoFett on
    edited February 2009
    Haha oh my god that is a simply evil combination.

One player runs a stealth implant, meaning that they can only be seen in infrared, and then his buddy runs a cold suit, which means he can't be seen in infrared at all.

Inquisitor on
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This game sounds intriguing, but very intimidating. D:

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
    edited February 2009
    Awesome, downloaded, just about to KATANA the KATANA out of this KATANA.

By which I mean, respectively, 'play', 'shit', and 'game'.

I take it you like katanas. I know you can block with the katana, but is that actually useful?

Peewi on
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The best way to learn hacking is to load a map offline and go for it, but it should be noted that most of the players on the team are usually fighting in the real world while just a few are hanging back hacking for them.

Besides capturing main objectives, the hackers do nifty things like turn off turrets and open sidepath doors, which is nice. I, for one, rarely do any hacking unless nobody else is stepping up to the job.

edit: @ Peewi, blocking with the katana is very useful, but only against other katanas.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • TodesbartTodesbart Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I just love hacking. Got the hang of it by reading the FAQ on the Dystopiapage.

Now all I do is stealthing to the terminals and unleash hell by capturing turrets.

Todesbart on
    steam_sig.png
  • FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't find the gameplay in Dystopia itself overly complicated - I was a pretty damn good decker back in the demo/first release, but the maps are what confuse me. It's hard to do some objectives when you don't know what you're trying to do in the first place.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Never played any HL games, but downloading this now.

TL DR on
  • lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is anyone having problems finding servers.
    When I had the Dystopia filter, I get "No internet games responded to the query".
    Anyone know how to fix?

lunchbox12682 on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I thought you needed to have Half Life 2 to play it?

Anyway, I just joined the group on steam. We should all work out a time to play together.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
    edited February 2009
    anoffday wrote: »

Anyway, I just joined the group on steam. We should all work out a time to play together.

You don't neccesarily need HL2, just a game that gives access to the Source SDK.
    When I had the Dystopia filter, I get "No internet games responded to the query".
    Anyone know how to fix?

Is this in the browser in Steam? Try starting the game, there's a few things about how Dystopia interacts with Steam that are fucked up.

Peewi on
    edited February 2009
    Anyone know how to fix?

I've had no problem finding games.

I'm launching the game and then looking, for the record.

Inquisitor on
    edited February 2009

I was thinking the same, but the problem isn't with the controls or the technicalitys of decking, but with the maps.

that is, at first, you won't have a clue where you're supposed to be, or what to do when you get there.

The best advice is to follow someone who knows what they're doing until you get used to the maps, and worry about the objectives more when you're actually expierenced.

Biosys on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So, uh, is there a PA server going or a server which PA people have colonized or what's the dealio?

Tav on
  • lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    anoffday wrote: »

You don't neccesarily need HL2, just a game that gives access to the Source SDK.
    Anyone know how to fix?

Is this in the browser in Steam? Try starting the game, there's a few things about how Dystopia interacts with Steam that are fucked up.

That did it.
    Thanks guys.

lunchbox12682 on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

I was thinking the same, but the problem isn't with the controls or the technicalitys of decking, but with the maps.

that is, at first, you won't have a clue where you're supposed to be, or what to do when you get there.

The best advice is to follow someone who knows what they're doing until you get used to the maps, and worry about the objectives more when you're actually expierenced.
    Yes. You spawn in waves, so there's usually some kind of group around that's going to move together anyway. If you get away from the group, you can see the boxes around allies through walls, or you can hit c to bring up the map and see where they're marked. On objectives, remember that they're all marked (the top of the screen, the scoreboard, the mini map, and on the objective itself), and they're usually pretty self explanatory once you've managed to find them. If an objective is in cyberspace, the best idea is generally to hang around that JIP (excluding the ones in spawn), guard it until a decker arrives and protect the said decker. I'm going to repeat that just to make sure you understand. Protect the fucking decker. Protect the shit out of that guy.

I'm also going to point out that the thing that helps me out most is to rebind my implant keys. A lot of implants need to be activated or deactivated instantly, and it helps to keep them on the closest keys that you can. I generally use z, x, v, and b. The labels for them in the HUD will reflect rebinds as well, so it'll still be clear which key works which implant.
    The fucking decker: protect him.

Monger on
    edited February 2009
    I managed to remember the old build I used to use when I was learning the game, and I'm using it again to re-learn the game, and I felt I should share it with you guys.

Medium armor, TAC scanner, IFF Info, Mediplant and an SCS, using the assault rifle as your weapon.

It's one of the most straightforward builds and is a real team player. The mediplant + the SCS lets you do a lot of healing. You heal just by being near people, so this promotes you follow people around and working as a team.

The TAC scan also is a huge benefit to your team, and I use it pretty much every time I have full energy, every time someone requests a TAC scan, and periodically throughout big fire fights. This coupled with your IFF helps you keep track of the enemy and pick off the weak ones for easy kills, and who doesn't like easy kills?

I recommend the assault rifle because it's a pretty straight forward all-rounder, a lot of people use it strictly as a beginner gun but it's a very good gun in the hands of an expert as well. A few things of note, right click zooms the gun a little and puts it into three round burst. The longer you hold down the trigger, the faster the gun shoots but the more inaccurate it gets. Short bursts at range, long bursts closer up. Going full auto is rarely useful.

Inquisitor on
    edited February 2009
    Monger wrote: »

Yes. You spawn in waves, so there's usually some kind of group around that's going to move together anyway. If you get away from the group, you can see the boxes around allies through walls, or you can hit c to bring up the map and see where they're marked. On objectives, remember that they're all marked (the top of the screen, the scoreboard, the mini map, and on the objective itself), and they're usually pretty self explanatory once you've managed to find them. If an objective is in cyberspace, the best idea is generally to hang around that JIP (excluding the ones in spawn), guard it until a decker arrives and protect the said decker. I'm going to repeat that just to make sure you understand. Protect the fucking decker. Protect the shit out of that guy.

I'm also going to point out that the thing that helps me out most is to rebind my implant keys. A lot of implants need to be activated or deactivated instantly, and it helps to keep them on the closest keys that you can. I generally use z, x, v, and b. The labels for them in the HUD will reflect rebinds as well, so it'll still be clear which key works which implant.
    The fucking decker: protect him.

Also, if the decking place is in a room, with only one door, for gods sake, don't just sit in a corner, watching as people open the door, shoot at the decker, open the door, shoot the decker etc.

You're probably better off, in those circumstances, leaving other people inside protecting the decker that way, while you go out and kill peeps.

There's no way for the decker to protect himself (except from others in cyberspace, but that's another matter), so he really is dependent on YOU.

YES, YOU.

Biosys on
    edited February 2009
    Oh, here's an easy new player mistake, if you are decking and have a mediplant, turn it off before you deck.

You don't want to waste energy healing the guy defending you while you are decking.

Inquisitor on
    edited February 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I managed to remember the old build I used to use when I was learning the game, and I'm using it again to re-learn the game, and I felt I should share it with you guys.

Medium armor, TAC scanner, IFF Info, Mediplant and an SCS, using the assault rifle as your weapon.

It's one of the most straightforward builds and is a real team player. The mediplant + the SCS lets you do a lot of healing. You heal just by being near people, so this promotes you follow people around and working as a team.

The TAC scan also is a huge benefit to your team, and I use it pretty much every time I have full energy, every time someone requests a TAC scan, and periodically throughout big fire fights. This coupled with your IFF helps you keep track of the enemy and pick off the weak ones for easy kills, and who doesn't like easy kills?

I recommend the assault rifle because it's a pretty straight forward all-rounder, a lot of people use it strictly as a beginner gun but it's a very good gun in the hands of an expert as well. A few things of note, right click zooms the gun a little and puts it into three round burst. The longer you hold down the trigger, the faster the gun shoots but the more inaccurate it gets. Short bursts at range, long bursts closer up. Going full auto is rarely useful.

The assualt rifle is pretty damn accurate in full auto, even at medium ranges.

I only use the burst mode for medium-long range, the full auto, as long as you don't hold down the firing button with your face for a hour, is perfectly able to kill people at pretty good ranges.

Biosys on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Decking is always my favorite thing to do.

Here's a little tutorial that got longer than I expected it to for those new to it:
    For those not used to it, you can change the direction gravity is flowing for you (not for anyone else) by using the gray coloured tiles. When you try to walk on a gray coloured tile, gravity changes to make that direction 'down.' That sounds confusing, but it's not so bad once you understand it in practice.

Usually those gray tiles make a little path that leads from where you jack in to where you need to go. Look around for those little 'houses,' (look up and on the walls because they might not be on the same level as you) then find a gray tile path that leads to them and follow it to the house.

With most decking 'houses' there's 2 things you'll encounter. 'Ice' and the terminal.

Ice is like a door to get inside the house that you can't pass through (unless your team's the one that put that ice up then you can pass right through it). When you run up to the ice wall you'll get a new set of options default mapped to your number keys. These are used to break through the ice. Depending on the quality of your deck, you can scan the ice for traps (mines, alarms etc.), use a wedge to temporarily disable the ice wall (Although it'll come back up in a short time), or you can use an icebreaker to destroy the wall.

Once the ice is down you can use the terminal. The terminal affects something out in the meatworld, or is an objective of some sort (like destroy a firewall or something). It's a button that you simply click on to activate. You don't have to really worry about hurting your team here. The buttons you click will only help whatever side you're on. So if it says 'toggle turrets' feel free to click it just to be sure, you can't turn it against your team, but you can turn it against the other team. The only real exception to this is the opening and closing of doors. Generally if you're the assaulting team (usually punks but that changes too sometimes) you want to keep doors open, and if you're defending you want them closed. Terminals can be protected by encryption or passwords. You break through these the same way you broke through the ice.

Once a terminal is under your control, you can put up your own password or encryption (one or the other). Encryptions are better as they cost more energy to tear down. You can also put up your own ice wall. Once you have your ice wall up, walk up to the wall and you'll get more options. An alarm, which will alert you of someone trying to break it down, a mine which will smack someone in the face if they break the wall down, and green ice, which is a nasty and annoying thing people can put up which will shock someone right out of cyberspace just by bumping into it.

With all these interactive options in cyberspace (terminals, ice, etc) when you use them you'll still be able to interact with them and click some buttons. Click as many as you can (usually you can get them all in one shot).

Tying it all together is energy. Energy drains passively when your decking, and goes faster when you are trying to break ices, or encryptions, or stuff like that, and in combat.

Dissociater on
    edited February 2009
    The assualt rifle is pretty damn accurate in full auto, even at medium ranges.

I only use the burst mode for medium-long range, the full auto, as long as you don't hold down the firing button with your face for a hour, is perfectly able to kill people at pretty good ranges.

I must not have communicated my point across clearly, as I'm actually in full agreement with you. When I said don't go full auto I meant don't hold down your mouse button till the clip is empty.

The zoom burst mode I pretty much only use for long range. In the standard mode, I simply meant that it's better to go for concise bursts at medium range and longer bursts at close range, but rarely do you want to just hold the mouse button down.

Inquisitor on