As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On]DYSTOPIA 1.2- Out on Steam!

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    august wrote: »
    I never see anyone with cold suits. So I have no idea how it looks in thermal.

Like nothing.

Yes, but which kind of the nothings? No thermal aura, or plain see-through invisible?

Sorry, invisible. Like no sheen or anything. I think. I just make sure to switch back and forth between vision modes regularly.

august on
  • FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Like nothing.

Yes, but which kind of the nothings? No thermal aura, or plain see-through invisible?

Sorry, invisible. Like no sheen or anything. I think. I just make sure to switch back and forth between vision modes regularly.

They just aren't there in thermal.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Faffel wrote: »

Like nothing.

Just one of many reasons you learn to find ninjas without thermal vision (read: play more Hidden).

Monger on
  • CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fodder wrote: »
    There are definitely some cockmongers playing this game, but the community is a lot better than in most games. I played a bunch today and the highlight of the session was clawler bear killing an entire enemy team that ran into the pit before the first objective to escape the gas.

It was good teamwork! You said "hit the gas!" And I said "OK" And then all the bad guys said "FFFFFFFFF"

CheerfulBear on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Monger wrote: »

Like nothing.

Just one of many reasons you learn to find ninjas without thermal vision (read: play more Hidden).

I've found the best way to find ninjas is to get hit in the fucking face with a katana.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2009
    Maybe I should try cold suit + that long range rifle.

Echo on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've never been TK'd more in my life than in Dystopia. God fucking damn people are stupid, suck at aiming and can't control their fire. I think the funniest TK I've taken is when someone was trying to kill a cloaker in the decker room, missed and slashed me with his katana. Killing our only decker. Me.

I'm so glad there's team damage, even if it means I get killed in shitty ways. I was getting a little tired of the arcadey shoot everything of TF2. I mean, it's fine, but I like FF a whole lot more. But because of the no color change in person, and the map rotation of one side being attack, and then the other, I TKed like two people in a row in a shitty way. I was attacking the objective, turn to see two fellow corp people coming right around the corner towards me (except I didn't recognize them as fellows), so I hold shift (I had legboosters), charge them, and tear them both apart with the katana before I realise whose blood is on my hands.

It didn't matter because right after, the prior objective got recapped, killing everyone near the final objective, but still, I felt soooooo shitty.

I tend to keep a cold suit on my non-medic outfit, along with the leg boosters (I think that's what they're called).
    I don't know if it helps, but I hope it does. It's only ones slot, so it's the best I can think of.

piL on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Maybe I should try cold suit + that long range rifle.

I'm not really sure why you would, the guys looking through thermals (heavies) aren't usually up for a long-range fight.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I tend to use the long range rifle. I move around a lot too though, I just find the long range rifle the most useful. A lot of times I like to shoot once or twice, and then finish with the SMG, although if I were Flippy, I probably wouldn't have too. The cold suit would help with that sort of thing I'm sure, and also with nade lobbing, which I do fairly often. I love hand grenades, I just wish you got more when you hit an ammo box.

Also, if you push a place that's being defended with heavies, they'll often turn heat on (I think) during the push, since there'll be all these damn little invisible ninjas tearing everyone up, which means you get to strafe and headshot unmolested.

Just saying, not as useless as you might think.

piL on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    piL wrote: »
    I tend to use the long range rifle. I move around a lot too though, I just find the long range rifle the most useful. A lot of times I like to shoot once or twice, and then finish with the SMG, although if I were Flippy, I probably wouldn't have too. The cold suit would help with that sort of thing I'm sure, and also with nade lobbing, which I do fairly often. I love hand grenades, I just wish you got more when you hit an ammo box.

Also, if you push a place that's being defended with heavies, they'll often turn heat on (I think) during the push, since there'll be all these damn little invisible ninjas tearing everyone up, which means you get to strafe and headshot unmolested.

Just saying, not as useless as you might think.

Yeah, I use thermal vision quite a bit when defending a position and if someone has a coldsuit then I get to test my theory on how to find ninjas.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dystopia keeps crashing on me for some reason. D:

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    heh so pretty much every dystopia server just crashed in a short period of time, that was kind of funny.

Also I see they still haven't "fixed" the stupid fact you don't start with full ammo, "Sweet I just spawned, now to spend 5 seconds standing next to an ammo box just to start off my life at 100%!"

the mk808 is still my favorite gun, although it seems to have less ammo than I remember which is annoying. If any game needed a class that could give ammo to others it was this one.

Morkath on
    edited February 2009
    Which is that, the high-powered single-shot rifle? I should try that out, been using only the assault rifle up to now.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Morkath wrote: »
    heh so pretty much every dystopia server just crashed in a short period of time, that was kind of funny.

Also I see they still haven't "fixed" the stupid fact you don't start with full ammo, "Sweet I just spawned, now to spend 5 seconds standing next to an ammo box just to start off my life at 100%!"

the mk808 is still my favorite gun, although it seems to have less ammo than I remember which is annoying. If any game needed a class that could give ammo to others it was this one.

Some guns start with full ammo, actually. I think the limited ammo is a good thing, as it keeps one side from defending or attacking non-stop for too long.

Inquisitor on
  • FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Some guns start with full ammo, actually. I think the limited ammo is a good thing, as it keeps one side from defending or attacking non-stop for too long.
    I've switched from my trusty boltgun to messing about with the laser rifle and bit, and it's shocking how quickly it goes through ammo, and the fact that it only starts with 100/150 means it takes ages to get to full out of spawn/when reloading.

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009

yeah galaga, the medium's high shot semiauto rifle.

And it really depends on the map, a lot of them end up becoming sniper lines with one side hunkering down and sniping/firing remote rockets, while the other side futilely attempts to push forward. Which would still benefit both sides to be able to get ammo to their snipers without having to run out of cover.

I thought it was pretty cool for it's time, when it came out, but I am surprised to see it getting a steam showcase. It really needs an update or two to polish it out of the demo/rough state that it was left in / bring it up to par with some of the other stuff that has come out in the past few years. I am guessing the devs moved on once they realized their dream of selling it for cashmonies failed.

Although seeing some of the other mods on their mod showcase, I guess it's not really a surprise heh.

Tangentially, it seems like hl2 modding never really took off like hl1, which is a shame. I blame tf2. :P

Morkath on
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hit rank 176 tonight

Cool stuff

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
    edited February 2009
    This game is fun.

It has also cause me to play Uplink again... :D

GalagaGalaxian on
    edited February 2009

yeah galaga, the medium's high shot semiauto rifle.

And it really depends on the map, a lot of them end up becoming sniper lines with one side hunkering down and sniping/firing remote rockets, while the other side futilely attempts to push forward. Which would still benefit both sides to be able to get ammo to their snipers without having to run out of cover.

I thought it was pretty cool for it's time, when it came out, but I am surprised to see it getting a steam showcase. It really needs an update or two to polish it out of the demo/rough state that it was left in / bring it up to par with some of the other stuff that has come out in the past few years. I am guessing the devs moved on once they realized their dream of selling it for cashmonies failed.

Although seeing some of the other mods on their mod showcase, I guess it's not really a surprise heh.

Tangentially, it seems like hl2 modding never really took off like hl1, which is a shame. I blame tf2. :P

I completely disagree. I think Dystopia is pretty much exactly like HL1 mods used to be. It's a really fantastic game and I haven't loved a game like it since Natural Selection.

You're right about the modding community, though. It's a shame.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I thought it was pretty cool for it's time, when it came out, but I am surprised to see it getting a steam showcase. It really needs an update or two to polish it out of the demo/rough state that it was left in / bring it up to par with some of the other stuff that has come out in the past few years.

What are you talking about?

More polish? Rough state? The game went through over 5 released beta versions before the offical v1 release, and this is 1.2 Theres... What more do you want? It fairly well balanced, has tons of varied maps with unique environments and objectives. The biggest bug I can think of is, like, your screen staying black in spec mode if you die form fall damage.

What rough state are you babbling about?

Edit, heck dude, I can find you many retail PC games in the same genre that arent a fraction as good as Dystopia. I dont mean shovelware either, I mean actualy $50msrp stuff.

CangoFett on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2009
    I'm not really sure why you would, the guys looking through thermals (heavies) aren't usually up for a long-range fight.

Because cold suit + dark corner = fun times.

And I loves me the rocket launcher for giggles.

Echo on
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh hey, join the group

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    But because of the no color change in person, and the map rotation of one side being attack, and then the other

I think this mod is great, I've been a fan for 2+ years or more, but this is one thing that irritates me and I would definitely change. The fact that the punks are red and the other guys are blue all the time could stand to be changed. It would be nice if they made red and blue models of each side and your team colour stayed the same for an entire map, you just changed models instead.

Dissociater on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Zetx wrote: »
    Oh hey, join the group

But we already have another group and it's public, eliminating the need for invites.

Peewi on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    Oh hey, join the group

But we already have another group and it's public, eliminating the need for invites.
    Yeah. I'm in the public one. We need to get everyone in the same group. It's not going to work having 2 or 3 different PA groups.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
    edited February 2009
    I didn't check the OP for the public one... I just decided 'hey, there needs to be a group' :p

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
    edited February 2009
    I'm going to play Dystopia now. I think it'd be easier to get everyone into the same server if we use the chat room of the Pixelantes group (the one linked in the OP).

Peewi on
    edited February 2009
    I think my computer doesn't like the map broadcast. Twice the game has slowed down to like 1 frame per minute, both times on Broadcast.

Peewi on
  • BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Need some Dystopaingiangng, so come on now, if anyone's reading this.

My current build goes medium assualt rifle with cyberdeck, something or other (I think thermal), leg boosters and wired reflex's.

Any tips or better builds appreciated of course.

If interest grows enough in this, is there any chance of a private server getting up?

Biosys on
    edited February 2009
    A suggestion while everyone finds each other is to use a [Wang] tag.

(Anyone know why it says I'mp laying the Source Base and other people's say its playing Dystopia)

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
    edited February 2009
    several of us are using [PA]

GalagaGalaxian on
    edited February 2009

(Anyone know why it says I'mp laying the Source Base and other people's say its playing Dystopia)

It says dystopia when you first start it, but changes to Source SDK Base when you join a server. I think it'd be because someone at either Valve or Team Dystopia fucked up something.

Peewi on
    edited February 2009

Not a clue, some sort of strange bug.

Looking now, it says I've played Source SDK Base for 2 hours, which is probably the same thing as what you're saying.

Found a much better build, although people with cold suits still defeat me, although bullets flying from thin air when I've got thermal vision on is somewhat of a giveaway.

Biosys on
    edited February 2009
    But because of the no color change in person, and the map rotation of one side being attack, and then the other

I think this mod is great, I've been a fan for 2+ years or more, but this is one thing that irritates me and I would definitely change. The fact that the punks are red and the other guys are blue all the time could stand to be changed. It would be nice if they made red and blue models of each side and your team colour stayed the same for an entire map, you just changed models instead.

No. The way it is now makes perfect sense.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Does the mod require the dedicated server to be installed? I just tried to install the mod through Steam, and it automatically added the Dystopia dedicated server and the Source SDK to my games list. Since both of those modules are on the order of 4.5 GB according to Steam and I have no use for either, I deleted their local content - But then Dystopia disappeared from my games list?

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
    edited February 2009

Ever played Tuftoo?

It works the same in that, and there's no confusion.

Just get used to it, that's all.

Biosys on
    edited February 2009
    Biosys wrote: »

Ever played Tuftoo?

It works the same in that, and there's no confusion.

Just get used to it, that's all.

What? My team colour changes in TF2. I really don't have any issue at all. If your hands are blue, shoot red. If your hands are blue, shoot red. I've clocked 10 hours into this release and haven't TK'd once since the first day.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Totally forgot how to play. Later I'll have to solo a match to experiment with hacking objectives so I don't get ostracized from some dick looking over my shoulder.

JJ on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I remember playing this a few months ago and feeling overwhelmed. Is it still noob-unfriendly?

Impersonator on