As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Learning to function (math)

QuarterMasterQuarterMaster Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
To make a long story short, I'm going to be taking the COMPASS test for math in the next couple of weeks in order to get into a 100-level or higher math class. This is so that I'm able to get my AA degree in June. My problem is that I've already failed the test twice (once per quarter, though the second time I was much closer), and I have to pass this time if I want to get my AA.

Anyway, I've tried the "official" sample tests, but they don't help very much. What I really need to learn are functions, such as problem 2 in the link, since the test is comprised almost entirely of those kinds of problems. So I'm just wondering if people have any kind of resources to use in order to practice these functions? Websites, PDF's, books you've used..anything like that would be really helpful. Thanks in advance for any help!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
QuarterMaster on

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The easy way is to just go through each answer, plugging in the number in the parenthesis for X, until you get one where both are correct.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm going to assume you have a time limit on these tests? You're best bet is just to do problems, and then do more, and then do even more. Once you get into the problem solving mode, and get quick at it, tests like these are a cakewalk. As to finding practice problems, that's a bit tougher. Amazon has at least one COMPASS review pack available, LINK, but you should be able to find plenty of functions like that example in a high school algebra book.

But yeah, like Sir Carcass said, at least in that example problem, that shouldn't be hard at all, just plug the 4 in for X and when you get one that works, check the 6. Plus, if they're all problems like that, you should be able to do them in your head.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    But yeah, like Sir Carcass said, at least in that example problem, that shouldn't be hard at all, just plug the 4 in for X and when you get one that works, check the 6. Plus, if they're all problems like that, you should be able to do them in your head.

And to elaborate, I would do the easy ones like 3x-12 first, then try the harder ones if you don't get a match.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    QuarterMasterQuarterMaster Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thanks for the tips so far! I'm a lot more confident this time around, since I actually understand what they're asking (for the most part). Like Dark_Side said, finding practice problems has been the hardest part recently. I think we might still have some old algebra books laying around somewhere, so I'll have to see if I can find those.

QuarterMaster on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]