As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jordyn's JLU Thread (PODCAST #2 Page 38)

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2006
    I will send your t-shirt this week, I promise

if you want I can put in some "Wii Play" stickers and Wii iron-ons

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    SaphSaph Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I thank this thread for introducing me to JLU.

Saph on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited December 2006
    I just saw that the next season sets for Batman Beyond and JLU are due out on March 20, 2007.

DMAC on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2006
    that seems like a long time but it's not really a long time since I don't even have Batman Beyond Volume 2 yet

it's also a year after the first sets came out!

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So this seems to be the cool place to discuss DC animation, so...

How is that new Superman/Legion cartoon they have out? I caught the last 5 minutes of an episode this morning, but watched it with no volume - it looked pretty decent, sort of had a Teen Titans feel. The Batman has been getting better lately, is this show any good?

This month's issue of Detective Comics. That would make the best episode of BTAS or even JLU ever, as long as they get Mark Hamill.

Hensler on
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hensler wrote:
    So this seems to be the cool place to discuss DC animation, so...

How is that new Superman/Legion cartoon they have out? I caught the last 5 minutes of an episode this morning, but watched it with no volume - it looked pretty decent, sort of had a Teen Titans feel. The Batman has been getting better lately, is this show any good?

This month's issue of Detective Comics. That would make the best episode of BTAS or even JLU ever, as long as they get Mark Hamill.
    I woke up early enough to see both this morning, actually. A rare occasion.

Superman (Why don't they call him Superboy?) and the Legion featured the team ending up in a spaceship/space station made out to resemble a stereotypical haunted mansion. Most of the team members ended up being sucked into "paintings" after encountering their greatest fears (horror movies, roller coasted, a clown under the bed). As Braniac and Superman found out, their team members were actually being used to power the space thingy by fueling engines that run on fear. Braniac faced his greatest fear (being taken by his people, the Braniacs) and downloaded his consciousness into the system to corrupt it. Superman faced his greatest fear when Braniac asked him to disable the machine even though it would mean Braniac would die in the process.

As it turned out, there were back-up discs of Braniac's mind and they closed the episode by going off to watch Bouncing Boy's recordings of ancient Reality TV.

The Batman, meanwhile, had Batman spent the episode trying to cure Gotham City of a toxin concocted by Hugo Strange that had transformed the populace into zombies. As it turned out, Strange had actually dosed Batman with a hallucinogen so he would see everyone as a zombie and construct device designed to disperse a zombie antidote that was, in truth, the zombie toxin itself. At the last possible moment Batman realized the truth and let the zombies take him. Instead of eating the guy, zombie Robin and Batgirl gave him an antidote to the hallucinogen he had been dosed with.

The personalities of the Legion characters range from bland to grating, but at least manage to steer clear of the obvious stereotypes of chubby pranksters, withdrawn braniac, girl-power female role model, etc. The cast of the Batman more or less come off as watered down versions of their prior incarnations with the sole exception of Batman who displays a kind of gloomy uncertainty about his own ability to save the day time and time again, a trait that might be fitting for a novice 20-something version of the hero.

All in all, both programs qualify as passable entertainment, but lack the kind of creative design required to stand out and appeal beyond the assumed demographic.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    OverlardOverlard Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Superman (Why don't they call him Superboy?)
    Because they don't want to get their asses sued by the owners of the Superboy name. The legal rights surrounding Superboy are the main reason he was killed in Infinite Crisis.

Overlard on
    mario.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I just watched the first episode of Teen Titans

that was...uh...very anime?

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Keith wrote:
    I just watched the first episode of Teen Titans

that was...uh...very anime?
    Man you didn't know that?

It gets better, but the first season is a whole lot of weeaboo.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I've never seen it

I mean, I knew it used an anime-influenced art style

but I didn't know it did "we're angry so our faces get huge" shit

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Later episodes tone it down a bit.

Also, Comfort and Joy? :(

robosagogo on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Later episodes tone it down a lot.

Also, if you don't want to stay with the first season(Second is much better, especially the parts that add to the overall plot), just watch the 2-part finale for Season 1 (Apprentice pt 1 and 2).
    Then you get badass quotes such as:
    Besides. Ron Perlman. How the fuck can you beat that?
    [spoiler:a16d03b67c](The sound clip is better when you can see all the bats flying around.)[/spoiler:a16d03b67c]

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited December 2006
    Have Dini or Timm or any of the other writers ever talked about the idea from JLU's Epilogue that Terry is Bruce's "son" and whether that was something that was considered from the beginning?

I just watched the BB episode that introduced Zeta and his speech when he's posing as the teacher about free will vs. genetics seemed appropriate. I realize that it was probably just meant as commentary on Zeta's programming vs. his free will but it made me wonder if the writers had had the idea while they were still working on BB.

And yes, the early episodes of TT were trying too hard to emulate anime but they found a much better balance as they went on.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I have an expensive and time consuming idea

it involves the $300 AppleTV

and ripping each episode of the DCAU individually

It would create a digital library so one could watch any episode of their desire without having to put in/take out DVDs.

I mean, it wouldn't need an AppleTV to do it

but

that would make it easier

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    yeah but did he talk about his kitten sitting on his lap and sneezing?

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Keith wrote:
    yeah but did he talk about his kitten sitting on his lap and sneezing?

no. no he didn't. He talked about nerd stuff.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm doing that already Keith.

Well, kind of.

See, I have DivX rips of all the JL(U) shows. And now I am re-encoding them all to .mp4/h.264 so that iTunes likes them.

They will live on my Mac mini which sits beneath the TV, and be accessed through Front Row, the built-in media centre software. I control it via bluetooth with a java app on my mobile phone.

Actually, it plays them just fine already because Front Row can just navigate the folder structure under ~/Movies hierarchically and play anything that Quicktime can, but if I get iTunes to like them then they can be put on my iPod too.

So yeah, I'm living your dream.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    yeah, but that's not in progressive scan/high definition

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Keith wrote:
    yeah, but that's not in progressive scan/high definition

I know :(

Some of this shit in in QVGA D:

But until someone painstakingly rips them all straight to h.264 and then puts up a torrent it's all we got.

bobgorila on

Anally.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    If I knew how to rip episodes individually, I could do it.

I wouldn't

But I could

(well maybe I would)

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    AppleTV's not the best solution for my plan

my full plan would include having keywords for every episode, so that you could search by Cadmus or episodes with Green Arrow or whatever you want

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Keith wrote:
    AppleTV's not the best solution for my plan

my full plan would include having keywords for every episode, so that you could search by Cadmus or episodes with Green Arrow or whatever you want

iTunes is though. You put that shit in the comments field for each ep and it's indexed and searchable.

Hold on... what you are saying, is that you want rips of these DVDs on your computer, and you have all the DVDs there?

Ripping DVDs is pretty easy, Keith. If you've got a mac, just grab Handbrake and MacTheRipper. I've not done it under Windows, but you know, Google might tell you.

bobgorila on

Anally.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    No I don't have a Mac.

I know how to rip DVDs to reburn them, but not how to rip each episode individually

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    It's basically two-stage.

First you rip the Video_TS folder out to your HD with some program that bypasses the CSS.

Then you feed this folder full of .vob files to some transcoding app (which is more than likely based on ffmpeg) and tell it what to save to.

As to exactly which apps to use, like I said, ask some dudes. Hell there might even be all-in-one "rip my shit to iPod" apps for windows, I do not know.

And you're a dirty fucking heathen if you choose settings other than the exact same resolution that's on the DVD, two-pass h.264 video and stereo AAC audio all wrapped up in a .mp4 container.

bobgorila on

Anally.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    bobgorila wrote:
    iTunes is though. You put that shit in the comments field for each ep and it's indexed and searchable.

I tested that out with my music and it doesn't seem to work.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    You could use the other fields that aren't normally used in videos, like artist and composer?

So like the principle heroes of the ep could be a comma-separated list in the artist field, and the villains in composer?

bobgorila on

Anally.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    The episode of The Batman that they're showing today is one of those scary future ones featuring Batgirl as Oracle (in a wheelchair), Robin as a quippy Nightwing (glider wings too), and Batman as old, grisled, and in a Bat-tank not unlike the one from Batman Begins.

Oddly enough his final battle is against Mr. Freeze rather than the Joker.

Meanwhile, the future's GCPD are digging through the Batcave and think Thomas Wayne was Batman while Bruce was Robin. They also think the wheelchair belongs to Alfred.

They're looking for the key to defeating Mr. Freeze who froze himself in the past to wake up in a future without Batman. They end up finding a message from Batman on how to defeat him and don some holographic disguises (presumably just to fuck with Freeze's head).

In the end they set up shop in the cave with the girl cop replacing Oracle at the console and a giant Bat statue in the back.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    robosagogo wrote:
    The episode of The Batman that they're showing today is one of those scary future ones featuring Batgirl as Oracle (in a wheelchair), Robin as a quippy Nightwing (glider wings too), and Batman as old, grisled, and in a Bat-tank not unlike the one from Batman Begins.

Oddly enough his final battle is against Mr. Freeze rather than the Joker.

Meanwhile, archaeologists from the future are digging through the Batcave and think Thomas Wayne was Batman while Bruce was Robin. They also think the wheelchair belongs to Alfred.

It was a good ep with a melding of the modern-day and DKR. An interesting future route for how this animated version of Batman will end up. Guess either the LoSH were occupied or it simply doesn't exist in this series though.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Should I be watching The Batman again? I gave up on it a while back.

Given that LoSH are a thousand years in the future I dunno how they work into a Batman show though.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Scooter wrote:
    Should I be watching The Batman again? I gave up on it a while back.

Given that LoSH are a thousand years in the future I dunno how they work into a Batman show though.
    Mr. Freeze woke up 1000 years in the future and froze Gotham, ostensibly because that would make the city easier for him to rule or something. The Legion would have been active in that time, though I don't know where a city getting frozen ranks on their priorities.

I guess the show is getting better, I think, but it's still not the sort of thing you'd get up early for or want to own. They basically took Batman Beyond or the Dark Knight Returns and condensed the message to, "Wouldn't it be weird if Batman was old and couldn't move as fast? But oh man, he'd be all gruff and he'd still kick ass."

Whereas DKR questioned if there was a place for someone like Batman in a new society ruled by a government that would prohibit his existence, the episode opted for a more optimistic message along the lines of stating that there'll always be a Batman and, even in death, he'll live on in others.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So I was watching the first episode of JLU the other day. Initiation I think? And there's this part where Superman's stating the League's intentions with the new, alrger Justice League, and at one point he says, "We can't be cowboys any more," or something to that effect.

And I just thought, man, I would have loved to see Vigilante's reaction.

Shit, I bet Superman did it on purpose. I bet that's the way to show he's disapproving of someone. Later on I bet he held another meeting and was all, "Listen, we can't be old gruff boxers, masters of disguise, or amorphous sand-beings that wear gas masks anymore. You know who you are. You know."

Munch on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I like Hunter's Moon when Hawkgirl, Vixen, and Vigilante go into space

because Vigilante's the first guy I'd call on for a space mission.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Send a cowboy into space, get Nathan Fillion to voice him, makes perfect sense to me Keith.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    At Toy Fair this week, DC Direct showed off their new figures based off of the first of the new direct to DVD movies. The first will be Superman / Doomsday (Death and Return), which has been solicited for this Fall.

IMG_4705.jpg

IMG_4704.jpg

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    It looks like they're going for an animated style that doesn't look anything like Death of Superman

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    It looks like they're going for an animated style that doesn't look anything like Death of Superman

I imagine Bruce Timm was all "Ok, yeah, we'll animate that style we just gotta...get rid of some of those lines...and...some of these lines and change this here a little bit...and...ok now it just looks like I drew it. Oh well."

And I have to be honest here, that would be fine with me.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So I'm watching JLU again with my roommate. We just got up to Fearful Symmetry in Season 1 of JLU (Season 3 overall) and so far Season 2 is the best so far, with Season 3 probably in second and Season 1 running a very close third. Anyone have a favorite season or ranking of seasons?

valiance on
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    valiance wrote: »
    So I'm watching JLU again with my roommate. We just got up to Fearful Symmetry in Season 1 of JLU (Season 3 overall) and so far Season 2 is the best so far, with Season 3 probably in second and Season 1 running a very close third. Anyone have a favorite season or ranking of seasons?
    I really like the Episode with the Joker reality show and the "Introduction" of the Royal Flush Gang.

Mna for the life of me I cant remember the name of that episode.

It feels so good to be back to the forums.

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    edited February 2007
    I really like the Episode with the Joker reality show and the "Introduction" of the Royal Flush Gang.

Mna for the life of me I cant remember the name of that episode.

It feels so good to be back to the forums.

Wild Cards

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    So it sucks that the boards went down over Valentine's, and a lot of you folk didn't get to see the new JL cards I made.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg