As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On]DYSTOPIA 1.2- Out on Steam!

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Grab the default medium medic loadout, run towards the objective and shoot the bad guys.

august on
  • BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Faffel wrote: »
    Biosys wrote: »
    piL wrote: »
    But because of the no color change in person, and the map rotation of one side being attack, and then the other

I think this mod is great, I've been a fan for 2+ years or more, but this is one thing that irritates me and I would definitely change. The fact that the punks are red and the other guys are blue all the time could stand to be changed. It would be nice if they made red and blue models of each side and your team colour stayed the same for an entire map, you just changed models instead.

No. The way it is now makes perfect sense.

Ever played Tuftoo?

It works the same in that, and there's no confusion.

Just get used to it, that's all.

What? My team colour changes in TF2. I really don't have any issue at all. If your hands are blue, shoot red. If your hands are blue, shoot red. I've clocked 10 hours into this release and haven't TK'd once since the first day.

I wasn't talking to you, apologies.

Probably should have qouted the other post, I was just pointing out that the colour switching thing was a good idea, and as long as you pay attention you can't really go wrong.

Biosys on
  • FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think it makes sense to have punks always be red and corps always be blue because it helps differentiate them even more, in addition to their models being different.

One major suggestion is to go to options -> multiplayer -> advanced and turn off the team based IFF colors that it defaults to. This makes it go from red iff = punk to red iff = enemy and drastically cuts down on TKing. Why they thought to change that to the default absolutely baffles me.

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wow, why didn't anyone tell me how awesome the MK-808 is?

"Hello heavy. POW POW POW. Bye heavy"

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The models don't lend themselves particularly well to being recognized at a distance by beginners. At this point, I'm still glancing at my minimap to see my target's symbol's color before opening fire.

jothki on
  • FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    jothki wrote: »
    The models don't lend themselves particularly well to being recognized at a distance by beginners. At this point, I'm still glancing at my minimap to see my target's symbol's color before opening fire.

I got used to them pretty quickly - the ponytail punks have really makes them look different from the bulky, cyber-warrior corp look.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    piL wrote: »
    But because of the no color change in person, and the map rotation of one side being attack, and then the other

I think this mod is great, I've been a fan for 2+ years or more, but this is one thing that irritates me and I would definitely change. The fact that the punks are red and the other guys are blue all the time could stand to be changed. It would be nice if they made red and blue models of each side and your team colour stayed the same for an entire map, you just changed models instead.

No. The way it is now makes perfect sense.

I agree with you Faffel, I just had a momentary lapse of nerves (since I had slipped behind the lines in a fairly epic pass and was scared shitless I was going to let the whole team down), and it was the first map I had played where Corps were on offense. Plus they died so easily. It's fine how it is, I just fucked up plain and simple.

Then again, Tribes had green/red triangles, and I certainly don't think that was a wrong answer. But not worth changing.

Edit: Also, I can't totally differentiate yet at a distance. I'll every once in a while get a buzz, because I get used to relying on my IFF square that doesn't stay on even for your teammates.

piL on
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It gets better pretty quickly. The only real hard part is Thermal vision. you used to not get teammates IFF info on thermal, so youd only get to go by the shape. Which can be somewhat annoying.

Also, dystopia-stats.com is great. Soo detailed, and has some great UI. Go to the opponents tab, then click on wheel or rgraph.

CangoFett on
  • CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Who's up for some dystopic gaming?

CheerfulBear on
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    0.80 K/D ratio, guess I'm not doing too bad...

http://www.dystopia-stats.com/player/76561197976591880

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm going to eat dinner and then I'll probably hop on for some rounds.

Inquisitor on
    edited February 2009
    Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2009
    1.65 KD ratio but im ranked 116
    http://www.dystopia-stats.com/player/76561197972258080

/epeenmeasurement

CangoFett on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I know it's late but anyone up for some games? Got an hour or so before I hit the sack.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is this game any more computer-intensive than TF2? I can barely run that on my computer at minimum settings.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
    edited February 2009
    Arkan wrote: »
    Is this game any more computer-intensive than TF2? I can barely run that on my computer at minimum settings.

Haha are you serious? Dystopia is an HL2 mod and, as you might expect, looks like HL2. TF2 is not friendly to low-end PCs.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited February 2009
    Good to know.

I'm guessing that despite it being the WOAH COOL THING of the game that jumping right into cyberspace would be a bad idea, so I'll probably pick this up starting out purely in meatspace.

Would a medium class with an assault rifle be a good choice for a starting player?

Arkan on
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
    edited February 2009
    Medium/Assault Rifle/TAC Scan/IFF/Wired Reflexes/Medikit (or whatever it's called) is a good build. You can scan for enemies and get their vitals (IFF) and use your Medikit thing to heal yourself and others. Wired Reflexes can be switched out with SCS if you find yourself in need of energy, but personally I would stick with WR.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Good to know.

I'm guessing that despite it being the WOAH COOL THING of the game that jumping right into cyberspace would be a bad idea, so I'll probably pick this up starting out purely in meatspace.

Would a medium class with an assault rifle be a good choice for a starting player?

It's hard to go wrong with that, yes.

Don't get pigeonholed, tough, as there is a weapon/loadout for nearly every playstyle.

Going offline is a good way to check out the frickton of different weapons, and it is nice to know which are which when situations call for them, whether you have reached a long-range bottleneck or some small hallway fighting, etc.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
    edited February 2009
    I like the Tesla Gun myself, running into a tightly-packed hallway and exposing those punkass bitches to some electro-therapy. And in a long-range shootout I can launch those little electric orbs and kill my enemies without ever being within their LoS.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited February 2009
    Tesla gun is one of the coolest weapons in any modern shooter, to be honest.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    so I totally just katana'd one of my teammates. My hud said he was a red, so I kept knifing him

MrDelish on
    edited February 2009
    I'm glad the katana is a super-deadly weapon and not the token melee prop in most FPSes

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    CangoFett wrote: »
    It gets better pretty quickly. The only real hard part is Thermal vision. you used to not get teammates IFF info on thermal, so youd only get to go by the shape. Which can be somewhat annoying.

Also, dystopia-stats.com is great. Soo detailed, and has some great UI. Go to the opponents tab, then click on wheel or rgraph.

What's the wheel thing supposed to look like? When I click it I just get black box. The rgraph is neat, though.

Peewi on
    edited February 2009
    wheel is bugged it seems. Cant really explain what it looked like. Lots and lots of connecting lines around a wheel of names. Crazy web of stats.

CangoFett on
    edited February 2009
    Binding F to thermal vision was the best thing I ever did while playing this game.

Besides killing three stealthers with one rocket. Silly little monkeys.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
    edited February 2009
    I'm now at rank 225, rapidly approaching an even K/D ratio. I'm becoming quite dangerous in light armour in about four different configurations of assassination and decking. I have something for every situation and map now. Light is amazingly versatile.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dystopia is still disappointing when your team doesn't know what it's doing. :\

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Crashmo wrote: »
    Binding F to thermal vision was the best thing I ever did while playing this game.

Besides killing three stealthers with one rocket. Silly little monkeys.

I bind it to a mouse button.

august on
  • Bill CosbyBill Cosby Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ugh, my game is now crashing almost every time I try to play. Looking at the dystopia forums it seems like its a pretty common problem. I remember having issues back when they released v1, but it seems what ever it is hasn't been fixed.

Bill Cosby on
  • RedlanceRedlance Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Good to know.

I found that the best way to get used to Cyber-space is to create your own server, choose light armor with enhanced cyberdeck/leg boosters/SCS/whatever else you feel like having and then finding the Jack-in points and playing around in them. That way you don't have to worry about getting a katana to the back, attacked by a enemy avatar or having your team yell at you while you stumble through cyber-space.

Redlance on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    How exactly do thermal turrets work? They'll still hit you if you're wearing a cold suit, so do they track based on both visuals and heat?

jothki on
  • BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    jothki wrote: »
    How exactly do thermal turrets work? They'll still hit you if you're wearing a cold suit, so do they track based on both visuals and heat?

It's best not to worry about the description so much.

I managed to stealth past thermal turrets to hack them before, and with no problems.

Coming on to play Dystopia in 5 mins, just got to quickly finish this project off.

EDIT: Fun dystopianaingaing, gotta bounce now though.

Also, damn Cango, you are GOOD at this game.

Biosys on
    edited February 2009
    You can stealth past normal turrets

Not thermals

Thermals see you 100% of the time, every time. If its a short distance, sometimes you can outrun them, but rarely.

CangoFett on
  • XantusXantus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    10 pages and noone has mentioned the hitbeeps?

hearing that Boop! is the most satisfying thing in any game ever.

Xantus on
    edited February 2009
    Xantus wrote: »

Yes, I was going to post this last night and forgot.

The only thing more satisfying than the BLOOP! of a good kill is the boooooEEEEEEP of killing Combine in HL2.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Xantus wrote: »

Monger wrote: »
    Monger is on this like white on Monger. Any major changes from 1.1 to 1.2?

I should also mention that beeps per hit that change pitch depending on damage is the best thing to ever happen to the shooter genre and it is a travesty that other devs haven't realized the simple elegance of it.

Page 1. Though I am mad that you're the only other person to bring it up. We must spread Truth to these mud farmers!

edit - Okay, three of us. Our numbers strengthen!

Monger on
    edited February 2009
    Having played the game, I agree: the boop is the best thing in the game.

I like knowing when I'm actually hitting things with my wild, panicky sprays of bullets.

Arkan on
  • XantusXantus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    BEEP BEEP BEEP, I WANT YOU IN MAH JEEP

and when you hear the sadbeep of team damage.. it makes you really sad :(

Xantus on