As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Warriors: It's my rage and I need it NOW!

1727374757678»

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    Ran a couple instances as a tank and typically just mashed whichever skills were available to me, never really lost the threat. Need to work out a real cycle to play with.

That sounds both thoroughly enjoyable and unlikely to create bad habits.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My prot warrior is approaching 80 and I need start thinking about gearing.

I would assume that getting 689 defense rating is job number one, for doing heroics.
    Then, enough stamina to survive the heroics.

Then what? Mitigation, avoidance? Threat stats?

Bigity on
  • Options
    ExistentialSoundandFuryExistentialSoundandFury Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Defense -> Health -> mitigation -> Threat

This is the standard prioritization. Health/Mitigation are very close to each other in terms of importance

ExistentialSoundandFury on
    399831.jpg
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Bigity wrote: »

I would assume that getting 689 defense rating is job number one, for doing heroics.

540. Get that, then get stamina. If you can get to 540 defense you're probably fine for Heroics.

Kid Presentable on
  • Options
    ExistentialSoundandFuryExistentialSoundandFury Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Bigity wrote: »

540. Get that, then get stamina. If you can get to 540 defense you're probably fine for Heroics.

689 Defense rating = 540 Defense (400 Base + 140 from Rating)

ExistentialSoundandFury on
    399831.jpg
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Though you are technically correct, you are the first person I have ever seen using that number instead of 540, and therefore.......................

*runs away*

Kid Presentable on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Only need 535 defense for heroics.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    AlastesAlastes Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    LOL

Alastes on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Que?

Bigity on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'm not entirely sure what he's laughing at.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ran a couple instances as a tank and typically just mashed whichever skills were available to me, never really lost the threat. Need to work out a real cycle to play with.

What is the typical Prot cycle? I think I can manage on single targets just fine... but is there a good way to handle multiples?

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

What is the typical Prot cycle? I think I can manage on single targets just fine... but is there a good way to handle multiples?

Single target is basically Shield Slam > Revenge > If SaB proc (Shield Slam), Else (Devastate) > If SaB proc (SS), Else (CB/SW) > Shield Slam

It's more a priority system than a rotation.

Multi Target for me is Charge > Thunderclap > position/shockwave > SS main target > start tabbing targets and cleaving/building threat as necessary, with TC/SW every cooldown.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Single target is basically Shield Slam > Revenge > If SaB proc (Shield Slam), Else (Devastate) > If SaB proc (SS), Else (CB/SW) > Shield Slam

It's more a priority system than a rotation.

Multi Target for me is Charge > Thunderclap > position/shockwave > SS main target > start tabbing targets and cleaving/building threat as necessary, with TC/SW every cooldown.

I'll assume that, being a gnome, I get a +15% to threat... ;) ... I'll appologize up front for stupid questions, but Warrior is the last class I ever got around to playing... Do I typically need to start with gemming DEF, then STA? Slow or Fast weapon (Fast, I would assume.. but is there a too fast?), Glyph thunderclap?

I really, really need to find a good setup of keys and hotkeys... I think I probably have a lot of unneeded stuff on my Defensive Stance bar. Can you give me the gist of what needs to be there outside of the stuff you listed?

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Iroh wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    The best way to buff damage without making PvP burst retarded is through improving DoTs and haste (see feral druid/rogue design and the incoming rogue changes).

They could buff Improved Rend and tack some sort of "using attack X gives you Y% haste for Z seconds" effect on to an existing deep Arms talent. That'd be a good start.
    Whatever buffs they grant shouldn't be that low in the tree. All that does it give more incentive to go Fury and still pick up the lower half of Arms.
    Well, buffing Improved Rend wouldn't affect Fury, would it? I was under the impression that fury warriors don't bother with Rend since they can't do it in Berserker Stance. And obviously a haste buff would come with a 30+ talent.

forty on
  • Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The best way to buff damage without making PvP burst retarded is through improving DoTs and haste (see feral druid/rogue design and the incoming rogue changes).

They could buff Improved Rend and tack some sort of "using attack X gives you Y% haste for Z seconds" effect on to an existing deep Arms talent. That'd be a good start.
    Whatever buffs they grant shouldn't be that low in the tree. All that does it give more incentive to go Fury and still pick up the lower half of Arms.
    Well, buffing Improved Rend wouldn't affect Fury, would it? I was under the impression that fury warriors don't bother with Rend since they can't do it in Berserker Stance. And obviously a haste buff would come with a 30+ talent.

I don't use rend now, the only exception is to rage dump after a charge to get over to zerk stance. But with the talked about changes for stance switching it may be a more viable option to switch to battle to rend then switch back.

RedDawn on
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    RedDawn wrote: »

I don't use rend now, the only exception is to rage dump after a charge to get over to zerk stance. But with the talked about changes for stance switching it may be a more viable option to switch to battle to rend then switch back.

I see this happening with high rage situations when WW and BT are on cooldown.:winky:

rfalias on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    RedDawn wrote: »

I doubt shitting out 50 rage for a Rend will be worth it, unless Rend becomes extremely potent.

forty on
This discussion has been closed.