As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chrono Trigger] The black wind howls...

• Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Well, bad parts of Chrono Trigger are still better than a lot of other games out there.

Not the Lost Sanctum. Dimensional Vortex is much better (with one notable exception...)
    That exception being Dalton showing up in a very random, very forced way.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »
    parabola wrote: »
    The only thing I don't like is the new dialog. Its so ... bland.

This is a criticism that also applied fairly well to the original translation, all nostalgia aside.

Move it you lazy blokes!

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ok, so I only have the arena prizes left to get (items 222 to 227 in the encyclopedia). I won 50 battles already and I only got 1 of those :( Anyone have a trick on how to increase my odds of winning those items? Does fighting in tier 6 significantly affect my chances comparing to fighting in tier 4?

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    RBach wrote: »
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Well, bad parts of Chrono Trigger are still better than a lot of other games out there.

Not the Lost Sanctum. Dimensional Vortex is much better (with one notable exception...)
    That exception being Dalton showing up in a very random, very forced way.

Who was left out of the original bad guys? Magus was set straight. Ozzie, Flea, and Slash were either dead or in hiding. Lavos was smacked around something fierce and bounced out of existence.

Dalton and Queen Zeal were the only two left that really made any sense as to who was behind the sacking of Guardia, and Zeal dies in the Black Omen after you kill her at the top.

I don't like it much, but at least it's a better tie-in the than super-forced one at the end of the animated ending movie.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So has anyone on the other side of the Atlantic picked this up yet?

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I picked it up on Friday, have only played it a little since I'm still playing FF4.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    xtaxta Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Alright, so I just:
    Beat the Black Omen in 1000 AD and then warped out of there. I'm debating whether or not to go through the other two Black Omens and pump myself up or just go for it. My guys (Crono, Frog, and Ayla) are at about lvl 51 and I found most of the Omen really really easy. Will I break the game if I go through the other two BOs?

And damn this game is awesome. :D

Not game breaking, in fact all the mutant bosses won't even be there. There are some capsules and megaelixirs you can charm out of people, though. The heckran looking enemy gives you i think a strength tab every time you charm him, and every form of zeal gives you a megaelixer.

urahonky wrote: »
    This is why I want to use an exercise bike. :)

Holy shit good idea.

hmm im in the same situation,
    is there a specific order you have to do for the BOs? Or can you do them in any way

also, do you have to use BO for new game + or do you get new game + as long as you beat lavos

xta on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    xta wrote: »
    Alright, so I just:
    Beat the Black Omen in 1000 AD and then warped out of there. I'm debating whether or not to go through the other two Black Omens and pump myself up or just go for it. My guys (Crono, Frog, and Ayla) are at about lvl 51 and I found most of the Omen really really easy. Will I break the game if I go through the other two BOs?

Not game breaking, in fact all the mutant bosses won't even be there. There are some capsules and megaelixirs you can charm out of people, though. The heckran looking enemy gives you i think a strength tab every time you charm him, and every form of zeal gives you a megaelixer.

Holy shit good idea.

is there a specific order you have to do for the BOs? Or can you do them in any way

also, do you have to use BO for new game + or do you get new game + as long as you beat lavos
    The best way to do the Black Omen is to hit it in the present day, then in 600 ad, then in antiquity.
    Defeating it in any time zone will remove it from all future time zones. (IE if you beat it first in 600 ad, it won't be there in 1000 ad, but will be there in antiquity.)
    Black Omen is not required for New Game +. You get that when you beat the game, regardless of how/when you do it.

see317 on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Alright, so I just:

Holy shit good idea.

Do the 1000 AD Omen first, then 600 AD, then 12000 BC. It technically doesn't make a difference (it won't affect your ending or anything), but the Black Omen, upon completion, is removed from that era and those following. If you plan to do it again, start with the last one and move backward in time.

Beating Lavos always allows you to start a New Game+ regardless of when you do it.

Elendil on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Alright so I just
    Beat the game for the first time. Goddamn that was awesome. I ended up going through the Black Omen all three times, with different party members each time. I defeated Lavos with Chrono, Frog, and Ayla. At level 54 or 55, don't remember which. Got the "official" ending. Which I thought was pretty cool. I liked how you could walk around. "Interactive," so to speak. I started a New Game+ but I'll probably take a break before going through it again...

People of Europe: BUY THIS GAME! Who cares if it's 14 years old, it's one of the best games I've ever played. And the first RPG that I've been able to beat without taking a long break in the middle of it.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Alright so I just
    Beat the game for the first time. Goddamn that was awesome. I ended up going through the Black Omen all three times, with different party members each time. I defeated Lavos with Chrono, Frog, and Ayla. At level 54 or 55, don't remember which. Got the "official" ending. Which I thought was pretty cool. I liked how you could walk around. "Interactive," so to speak. I started a New Game+ but I'll probably take a break before going through it again...

People of Europe: BUY THIS GAME! Who cares if it's 14 years old, it's one of the best games I've ever played. And the first RPG that I've been able to beat without taking a long break in the middle of it.

Man, you think I'd wait that long?

Picked up the American version way back:P I don't understand why European people still buy European DS games :S

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    ahh, makes sense, thanks everyone

i've read so much hate towards the lost sanctum, what are good leveling areas for end game? the BO is good for my low 50's characters right now. i wonder if i could simply not beat the boss of BO in the 3rd time period

xta on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    ahh, makes sense, thanks everyone

i've read so much hate towards the lost sanctum, what are good leveling areas for end game? the BO is good for my low 50's characters right now. i wonder if i could simply not beat the boss of BO in the 3rd time period

You'll have no trouble beating the final boss in the low 50s. I just did it and it was a piece of cake (with plenty of Megalixers, of course).

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, low 50s is plenty. Late 40s, early 50s is about the typical level to finish. By the time you hit like, 60 and have some good equipment, your tougher characters will probably be capable of soloing it.

Elendil on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ampix wrote: »
    Alright so I just

Man, you think I'd wait that long?

Picked up the American version way back:P I don't understand why European people still buy European DS games :S

Well, the EU version was £14, no way I was paying £30 to import such an old game.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So... I'm kinda stuck. Could you guys point me in the right direction?
    Just got the masamune forged, gave it to Frog and he told me that we should go to Magus' tower or whatever. I have no idea where that is.

urahonky on
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So... I'm kinda stuck. Could you guys point me in the right direction?
    Just got the masamune forged, gave it to Frog and he told me that we should go to Magus' tower or whatever. I have no idea where that is.
    To the east of the Danbooru mountains, in 600 AD (Danbooru Mountains is where you fought Masa and Mune) there is a rock that sort of stands out (this is on the map BTW), walk there, and it will say Magic Cave. That's where you wanna go.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Thanks Ampix.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    the concept of dual techs and triple techs just doesn't get old. have other rpgs adopted this? i usually cant stand most grinding rpgs, but chrono trigger is chrono trigger (and not tedious)

xta on
  • Options
    El ExtremoEl Extremo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well the Penny Arcade RPG is kinda like it.

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dual and triple techs are completely awesome and should be adopted to the JRPG canon alongside White Mages and Elemental Rock-Paper-Scissors.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So the other day I started a New Game+ and the first thing I did was
    step onto the right pad of Lucca's transporter and fight Lavos at the beginning of the game. Which nets you the developer's ending. Apparently they've changed some of the dialog, because in the dream team room one of them mentions how old the game is.

This has been the first RPG (heck one of the first games, period) that I wanted to start playing again as soon as it was over the first time. Seriously, I hope it never ends...

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Damn. I'm really, really far into the game.
    Just got the time machine device, went back to the 12,000 BC place (can't remember the name) plowed through the mountain and got the blacksmith out who was frozen. Then went back to the kingdom and killed the red outfit douche (I suck with names) and went into the area below.

How far am I? Out of curiosity (I need to finish this and get another game from Gamefly)

One thing I have noticed: Stealing items is SO MUCH BETTER in this game than other RPGs. Seriously. Half the time in other RPGs it's just a potion or something equally useless, but in this game I got a few weapons, armor, seeds, etc.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Just got the time machine device, went back to the 12,000 BC place (can't remember the name) plowed through the mountain and got the blacksmith out who was frozen. Then went back to the kingdom and killed the red outfit douche (I suck with names) and went into the area below.

How far am I? Out of curiosity (I need to finish this and get another game from Gamefly)

One thing I have noticed: Stealing items is SO MUCH BETTER in this game than other RPGs. Seriously. Half the time in other RPGs it's just a potion or something equally useless, but in this game I got a few weapons, armor, seeds, etc.

Including the massive sidequest barrage they're going to throw at you in a couple hours, I'll say you'e 75% through.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Have you
    Fought Lavos yet in the Ocean Palace? I think you're about 3-4 hours away from beating the game, depending on what sidequests you choose to do.

And yes, Ayla's Charm rocks!

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Including the massive sidequest barrage they're going to throw at you in a couple hours, I'll say you'e 75% through.

Woah nice. I have to slow down then.

Also since I am finally able to open up those black "magically sealed" chests, why do most of them have almost the same items in them? I opened like 5 or 6 in 1000AD and got:
    Red, Blue, Yellow, Black, etc... Vests

I assume I'm going to have to use them soon? :P

e: Not yet Cameron. I am down there now. I figured I had to fight him.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Also since I am finally able to open up those black "magically sealed" chests, why do most of them have almost the same items in them? I opened like 5 or 6 in 1000AD and got:

Oh shit...

You shouldn't have opened them in 1000 ad. You should have attempted to open them in 600ad, let them react to the pendant, cancel opening them, then open them in 1000ad (note: not all chests exist in 600ad, some are just in 1000ad so you can just open them straight up). Each of these colored armors you're picking up have very good resistance to their corresponding magic color. If you do the 600ad thing, though, they get powered up and actually absorb that color.

Keep that in mind for your next playthrough i guess.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

RE: Chests
    Those vests are elemental if you didn't figure it out. I never used them, except for the fire one, which was necessary to beat a boss on one of the sidequests. But for future reference: you want to go to 600AD first. Examine the chests, but DON'T open them. Then go to 1000AD and whatever was in the chest will be powered up. And then you can go BACK to 600AD and get what's in the chest there! Isn't time traveling awesome? Don't worry if you already opened them all, though...it's not gamebreaking or anything..

Dammit, Beat'd

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    You know... I was wondering why some chests asked me why I wanted to open them or not. I couldn't figure out why anyone would NOT want to open them. Oh well. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    El Extremo wrote: »
    Well the Penny Arcade RPG is kinda like it.
    Honestly. I think the PA RPG is better than Chrono Trigger. I would definetly play it if I were you.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    the concept of dual techs and triple techs just doesn't get old. have other rpgs adopted this? i usually cant stand most grinding rpgs, but chrono trigger is chrono trigger (and not tedious)

Shadow Hearts 2 and 3.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »

Shadow Hearts 2 and 3.

Persona 2, sort of.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Persona 2 way, way more than the Shadow Hearts games.

Though, it's also way, way more grind heavy than them too.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Got my standard ending playthrough done last night. Well, this morning.

1 down, 12 to go!

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    The Last GentThe Last Gent Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm nearing the endgame, and wondering what I'll do to get the multiple endings.

Should I go forwards or backwards? (i.e. get the quickest ending, then restart and get the second quickest, etc., or start at the next-to-last ending and go from there?)

The Last Gent on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'm nearing the endgame, and wondering what I'll do to get the multiple endings.

Should I go forwards or backwards? (i.e. get the quickest ending, then restart and get the second quickest, etc., or start at the next-to-last ending and go from there?)

The beautiful thing is, when you save your end game data over your save file, your save is still in the same place, but with the ending added to your completion list. You can start with the first available ending, save over, work your way to the next, save over, and repeat. Just continue from that save, don't start a new game +

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Well, there are some endings you can only get from the start of the game....

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    The Last GentThe Last Gent Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wow, so I only need (theoretically) to go through this game twice to get all the endings? For a time-crunched university student that's awesome. Thing is up until now I was more than willing to play through it 13 times to get all the endings.

The Last Gent on
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I got all the endings in 3 playtrough myself, tough yeah it's very doable in 2 if you know what you are doing.

3 of the endings are kind of a bitch to get

Endings 03 and 04
    You have to get them at the beggining of the game with only Crono and Marle, so you need to be kinda high leveled for those.

Ending 12
    The window of opportunity is like 30 seconds long for that one. You have to go beat Lavos AFTER you see Schala opening the door in the Zeal Palace, but BEFORE you power up Marle's pendant.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Fucking A. I may just end up keeping this game from Gamefly... $31 isn't bad for this game, and it's been amazing so far.

I'm loving the monster battles.

urahonky on