As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BSG Boardgame] Game 4 - Game Over: Cylon Victory

• abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah. It was good to see that he picked the destination I left on top, though that particular civilian ship hurt us a bit.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well considering we still have two vital jumps still en route...

Activating Cylon Detector, testing Admiral Adama. :suspense:

Maddoc on
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    BEFORE YOU DO THAT.

Rend on
    edited February 2009
    I would like to pretty much assert that both Starbuck and I are humans. The reason? Simple.

Starbuck left a 3 distance on the top of the deck. I delivered it unto us. If either of us were cylons, we would be playing it PRETTY EFFING COOL. And at this point, crap, leave us. We're doing better for the humans anyway.

Don't test starbuck or myself. Honestly. With a play like that, it would just be RIDICULOUS for one of us to have been a cylon at this point, and still not have used it to our advantage.

Rend on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I did consider that, actually.

The destination Starbuck left was still potentially dangerous, as we just saw, and on top of that choosing an obviously worse destination after someone else scouted ahead would be too obvious and out you.

While I may not have any overt reason to suspect you specifically, our fuel situation leaves us in a precarious state for our following two jumps.

Maddoc on
    edited February 2009
    Actually, never mind.

Go ahead. I eagerly await the result.

[edit] Also, our fuel is fine. More than likely i'll find something that only costs 1 fuel in there, and the most it will cost will be 3, and that is highly unlikely. I think our fuel is going to be alright.

Rend on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Turn 24: Gaius Baltar (Maddoc)

Movement Step: Remain in Press Room
    Action Step: Use special ability Cylon Detector on William Adama (Rend).

Baltar has completed a working Cylon Detector! Of course, it uses rare components and materials that it breaks after its first use. Still, the results are believed to be quite accurate...

Crisis Step: Besieged

1) Activate Raiders
    No Raiders to activate.

2) Combat Setup
    Fore (9 o'clock): 1 Civilian Ship
    Starboard-Bow (11 o'clock): 1 Civilian Ship
    Aft (3 o'clock): 1 Heavy Raider
    Port-Quarter (5 o'clock): 1 Basestar
    Port-Bow (7 o'clock): 4 Raiders, 2 Vipers, 1 Civilian Ship

3) Special Rule – Heavy Casualties
    The 4 Raiders that were just setup are immediately activated.

Before I continue, can I privately get information on if anyone holding an Evasive Maneuvers card will spend it on the unmanned vipers (and under what conditions)?

Maddoc, take your Delusional Intuition draw.

I need some time to put together the map, anyways.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited February 2009
    Drawing Leadership

Maddoc on
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Frak, I need to scramble at 7 o'clock and take my action. Does that happen before the raiders go off?

Darian on
    edited February 2009
    Darian wrote: »
    Frak, I need to scramble at 7 o'clock and take my action. Does that happen before the raiders go off?

Yes, I believe so. It resolves between steps two and three of the Crisis card.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited February 2009
    The results of my testing have come in and...
    I'm relieved to say that our Admiral has come back green. Very green, in fact. One-hundred percent human.

Maddoc on
    edited February 2009
    Hearing the warning klaxons sound, Apollo runs for the nearest hanger and jumps into a viper, shoving the rookie pilot out of the way.

"This is the CAG. I want to let you know that everything is under control; we'll all be safe soon."

Apollo's viper moves forward to engage the nearest raider, but then disappears just before drawing near enough to open fire. There is no sign of it on DRADIS; it is as if he just jumped away.
    Revealing as a Cylon. And leaving a little present for dear old Dad, a bomb to send him to Sickbay. Discard your hand, father.

Darian on
    edited February 2009
    totally called that one to blarney on aim. TOTALLY CALLED.

Rend on
    edited February 2009
    Sorry to leave you a viper short, with all those raiders coming in.

Darian on
    edited February 2009
    Also, quick question, why should I discard my hand?

Rend on
    edited February 2009
    You Are a Cylon
    (Number 8 - Boomer)
    Can Send a Character to Sickbay
    Action: Reveal this card. If you are not in the "Brig," you may choose a character on Galactica. That character must discard 5 Skill Cards and is moved to "Sickbay."

Edit: Which reminds me, I also need to discard down to three cards:
    Politics 1
    Politics 1

Darian on
    edited February 2009
    Ah, forgot about that card. Discarding Leadership 4, 5, and Engineering 1.

Rend on
    edited February 2009
    I can't remember what happens to a viper when its pilot reveals as Cylon. It's not in the rulebook...

But yeah, Rend's in Sickbay, after discarding his remaining hand.

Darian, you've got to discard down to three as well. That means two cards to discard.

I'll get this thing updated eventually, there's tons to keep track of at the moment, in this game and in others.

EDIT: Graah, beaten! *shake fist*

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited February 2009
    The viper is returned to the reserves.

And I edited in my discard above. Sorry to keep changing the situation and board on you.

Darian on
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So are you guys drawing near the close? If you finish and are going to start another (any of you), shoot me a PM? I've been trying to get into one of these for over a month.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Rend wrote: »
    I would like to pretty much assert that both Starbuck and I are humans. The reason? Simple.

Starbuck left a 3 distance on the top of the deck. I delivered it unto us. If either of us were cylons, we would be playing it PRETTY EFFING COOL. And at this point, crap, leave us. We're doing better for the humans anyway.

Don't test starbuck or myself. Honestly. With a play like that, it would just be RIDICULOUS for one of us to have been a cylon at this point, and still not have used it to our advantage.

Well abotkin kinda forced you to choose it, unless you wanted to reveal. I think we're fairly far along to be playing it that damn cool and you too knowledgeable about the game to do it, but it's not outside the realm of possibility. It's also possible abotkin didn't realize how positive that card is, but it's not a theory I like going by.

If I had to pick a toaster right now (aside from your immediate family joy-riding in essential military hardware) it'd be Maddoc. Cylon Baltar has two plays at this stage, try and dupe an ally or start a war in the player base. It's not much to go on, and with the Admiral's Quarters out of commission we can't do much about it, but I figured I'd put it out there.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited February 2009
    Turn 24: Gaius Baltar (Maddoc)

Crisis Step: Besieged

1) Activate Raiders
    No Raiders to activate.

2) Combat Setup
    Fore (9 o'clock): 1 Civilian Ship
    Port-Bow (7 o'clock): 4 Raiders, 2 Vipers, 1 Civilian Ship

Apollo uses his Alert Viper Pilot ability to take control of one of the launched vipers. Using his action, he reveals as a Cylon!

Darian discards down to three cards and William Adama is sent to Sickbay after discarding his remaining hand.

3) Special Rule – Heavy Casualties
    The 4 Raiders that were just setup are immediately activated.

Raider 1: 6 > 5, abotkin plays Piloting 1 and engages Evasive Maneuvers.
    Re-roll: 6 > 5, abotkin plays Piloting 2 and engages Evasive Maneuvers.
    Re-roll: 5 = 5, Viper damaged.
    Raider 2 destroys the Civilian Ship - nothing lost.
    Raiders 3 and 4 move to the fore of Galactica (9 o'clock).

Turn 25: President Tom Zarek (DevoutlyApathetic)

Receive Skills Step: DevoutlyApathetic draws 2 Politics, 2 Leadership, and 1 Tactics card.

Current Situation:

PA-BSG-Game04-Turn25.jpg
    Resources: Fuel - 4, Food - 5, Morale - 8, Population - 9.

Jump Marker: Level 1 - Jump Unavailable

Distance Covered: 7

Galactica: Admiral's Quarters damaged, no boarding parties.

Nuke Tokens: None remain.

Quorum Cards: 1 in hand.

Ship Reserves: 5 Vipers and 2 Raptors available. 3 Vipers damaged.

Characters:
    Admiral William Adama (Rend) - Sickbay, 0 cards in hand.
    Lee "Apollo" Adama (Darian) - Resurrection Ship, 3 cards in hand.
    Kara "Starbuck" Thrace (abotkin) - Armory, 5 cards in hand.
    Gaius Baltar (Maddoc) - Press Room, 9 cards in hand.
    President Tom Zarek (DevoutlyApathetic) - President's Office, 6 cards in hand.

Space:
    Fore (9 o'clock): 2 Raiders, 1 Civilian Ship
    Starboard-Quarter (1 o'clock): Nothing.
    Port-Bow (7 o'clock): 2 Raiders

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited February 2009
    That was a complete waste, I was afraid of that. Crappy rolls though.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2009
    Get me the Admiral on the line!

Admiral? Your son just lead the toasters right to us, we just lost the Adriatic and your back in Sick Bay?

Go scramble some vipers or I will have you removed from command!

Play Leadership 1 on Rend.

I actually do suggest scrambling a viper and putting it at 9 o'clock to give us some hedge against that civvie ship being blown up but hell if I know what we should really do here.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    edited February 2009
    Get me the Admiral on the line!

Admiral? Your son just lead the toasters right to us, we just lost the Adriatic and your back in Sick Bay?

Go scramble some vipers or I will have you removed from command!

Play Leadership 1 on Rend.

I actually do suggest scrambling a viper and putting it at 9 o'clock to give us some hedge against that civvie ship being blown up but hell if I know what we should really do here.

That sounds like the most logical plan right now, until we can get Starbuck out there.

Move to command. Launch one viper, and activate it a second time to move to 9 o'clock.

Rend on
    edited February 2009

Movement Step: Remain in President's Office
    Crisis Step: Use Leadership 1 to give William Adama (Rend) Executive Orders.

Executive Orders: William Adama moves to Command to launch a viper, then activates it a second time to move it to the fore of Galactica.

The President urges the Admiral to lead the fleet against the Cylon attack, and Adama complies by ordering a Viper to protect the civilian ships.

Crisis Step: Cylon Virus

Skill Check [13] Tactics + Engineering
    Pass: No Effect.
    Fail: All characters in the FTL Control location are sent to Sickbay. Then place 1 centurion marker at the start of the Boarding Party track.

After Crisis: Launch Raiders

Skill Card Contributions:
    Destination Deck: 2
    Rend: 0 (no cards in hand)
    Darian: 1
    abotkin: 2
    Maddoc: 1
    DevoutlyApathetic: ???

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited February 2009
    Unfortunately no cards in hand. Contribute nothing. That being said, lets see if we can swing this one, I'd prefer not to have to deal with a centurion.

Rend on
    edited February 2009
    Contributing 1 card. I'll do what I can to help the fleet.

Darian on
    edited February 2009
    Not particularly my specialty, but I can contribute one card.

Maddoc on
    edited February 2009
    Contribute 1 card.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    edited February 2009
    I'm contributing 2 cards. Just to get it posted in thread, forgot last night when I sent the PM.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2009

Movement Step: Remain in President's Office
    Crisis Step: Use Leadership 1 to give William Adama (Rend) Executive Orders.

Executive Orders: William Adama moves to Command to launch a viper, then activates it a second time to move it to the fore of Galactica.

The President urges the Admiral to lead the fleet against the Cylon attack, and Adama complies by ordering a Viper to protect the civilian ships.

Crisis Step: Cylon Virus

Skill Check [13] Tactics + Engineering
    Pass: No Effect.
    Fail: All characters in the FTL Control location are sent to Sickbay. Then place 1 centurion marker at the start of the Boarding Party track.

Skill Card Contributions:
    Destination Deck: 2
    Rend: 0 (no cards in hand)
    Darian: 1
    abotkin: 2
    Maddoc: 1
    DevoutlyApathetic: 1

Skill Cards and Result:
    Tactics 1
    Tactics 1
    Tactics 2
    Engineering 2

Politics 2
    Politics 2
    Politics 3

6 - 7 = -1, Fail: All characters in the FTL Control location are sent to Sickbay. Then place 1 centurion marker at the start of the Boarding Party track.

A Cylon agent plants a virus in Galactica's computers that affects the DRADIS' radar capabilities. By the time the problem is fixed, it is too late - a Heavy Raider has made its way into Galactica, releasing a troop of Centurions.

After Crisis: Launch Raiders
    Three Raiders have launched from the port-quarter Basestar.

Turn 26: Admiral William Adama (Rend)

Receive Skills Step: Rend draws 3 Leadership and 2 Tactics cards.

The Tactics Deck is reshuffled.

Current Situation:

PA-BSG-Game04-Turn26.jpg
    Resources: Fuel - 4, Food - 5, Morale - 8, Population - 9.

Jump Marker: Level 1 - Jump Unavailable

Distance Covered: 7

Galactica: Admiral's Quarters damaged, 1 Boarding Party at start of track.

Nuke Tokens: None remain.

Quorum Cards: 1 in hand.

Ship Reserves: 4 Vipers and 2 Raptors available. 3 Vipers damaged.

Characters:
    Admiral William Adama (Rend) - Command, 5 cards in hand.
    Lee "Apollo" Adama (Darian) - Resurrection Ship, 2 cards in hand.
    Kara "Starbuck" Thrace (abotkin) - Armory, 3 cards in hand.
    Gaius Baltar (Maddoc) - Press Room, 8 cards in hand.
    President Tom Zarek (DevoutlyApathetic) - President's Office, 4 cards in hand.

Space:
    Fore (9 o'clock): 2 Raiders, 1 Viper, 1 Civilian Ship
    Starboard-Quarter (1 o'clock): Nothing.
    Port-Quarter (5 o'clock): 1 Basestar, 3 Raiders
    Port-Bow (7 o'clock): 2 Raiders

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited February 2009
    Alright, guys. So, cylon has the next turn, and he'll probably activate cylon fleet. In order to prevent ourselves from being overwhelmed in space, I will use command to activate the unmanned viper at 9 o'clock twice, to shoot at the raiders, and hope to knock them both out.

The reason I do this is because I think starbuck should stick around in the armory. Unless I fail, raiders activate and the viper is destroyed this turn, threatening a bunch of civilian ships... Alright.

I think the best course of action now would be, if I successfully take the raiders out, for every turn to include an XO to myself or starbuck, depending on the raider situation. An XO to me would allow me to take 4 shots at raiders in my location, of course assuming the viper is still alive during the phase. And if it's not, as long as we can hold them at 9 o'clock, a single XO on me will afford a new cannon fodder and an instant 2 attacks. That can probably keep the raiders at bay, even with a cylon coming up.

If we're not raider threatened, an XO to starbuck in the armory to help her shoot those frakking toasters on galactica. We're pretty far from a boarding party victory, but it's important we take care of them the MOMENT we have a spare turn, and the only reason I don't XO starbuck this turn is because (1) the civilian ship is threatened right now in case of raider activation and (2) heavy raiders are not likely to activate on my crisis, simply because they are rarer in nature than any other activation. So I'm praying.

If they do activate on my turn, we have some serious stuff to make up, obviously, but I think that's the course of action most likely to end in our pulling through. Also thank the lords of kobol that starbuck is already there in the armory.

What do you all think of this? I'll wait for input for a bit before cyanning.

Rend on
    edited February 2009
    To further analyze, if we treat the two civilian ships as expendable, we will lose at most 4 resources, two of which will be population. Right now we're golden to do two jumps as soon as we can, so we're in for 6 more jump preps to victory, assuming no massive assaults or the like.

The centurion is a serious threat though, all things being said, and since there's an unrevealed cylon, a bit of counter-operative stuff would certainly hit extremely hard. What do we think?

Rend on
    edited February 2009
    I believe that is probably the best course of action.

I'm thinking that if Apollo activates the Cylon fleet location, it'll probably be Raiders. If either of those Civilian ships has fuel we could be in trouble.

I do have a slightly alternative thought. If someone were to use communications to check if the civilian ships are carrying fuel, anything else is probably nonessential at this stage. Knowing if they're expendable or not could save a lot of effort in the long run protecting them.

Maddoc on
    edited February 2009
    I like the idea, but I dont think we can waste this or the next couple turns, neh?

Also, unless we get hit by a couple VERY specific crises, I don't think fuel will be a problem. We need to lose 2 fuel in order to be in trouble for the next jump, since the final doesn't use any.

Rend on
    edited February 2009
    Remember too that destroyed ships with non-vital resources can not be put onto the board later.

I'm generally anti-communications in general but looking at them and moving does buy us a little time. I really think that just blowing the fucking raiders up is a better plan, especially if we can XO Rend. He could attack 3 times and launch a viper to stall those at 7 o'clock.

I'd rather spend vipers than civilian ships I think.

So...latest episodes:
    I am so happy I don't have to try and lead a coup against Rend....I think that would not end well for me.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, that plan sounds fine Rend.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2009
    I will activate the viper to attack the raiders twice.

Rend on
    edited February 2009
    Turn 26: Admiral William Adama (Rend)

Movement Step: Remain in Command
    Action Step: Activate Command to direct foreward Viper to attack Raiders twice.

Attack 1: 7 > 3, Raider destroyed!
    Attack 2: 2 < 3, Raider missed.

The Admiral continues to direct the deployed Viper to counterattack the swarming Raiders.

Crisis Step: Boarding Parties

1) Activate Heavy Raiders
    Heavy Raider moves to the port-quarter of Galactica (5 o'clock)
    Centurion moves to the second step of the Boarding Track (3 spaces left)

2) Combat Setup
    Fore (9 o'clock): 2 Heavy Raiders
    Starboard-Bow (11 o'clock): 1 Basestar, 4 Raiders
    Starboard-Quarter (1 o'clock): 2 Heavy Raiders
    Aft (3 o’clock): 1 Civilian Ship
    Port-Quarter (5 o'clock): 2 Civilian Ships

3) Special Rule – Surprise Assault
    There are no vipers in this setup.

There is already one Heavy Raider on the board - a maximum of four may be placed. Which three Heavy Raiders on the Boarding Parties card will be placed, Rend?

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png