As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Confederate Heritage

• Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Kagera wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    Bama wrote: »
    I was told by my Toby Keith friend that the only reason he wears something with a Confederate flag is to show that he's a rebel, like James Dean or somesuch.
    Real rebels wear their own symbols.

I'm rebelling against rebellion by abiding by my work's business casual dress code (except for sneakers).

Reminds me of that Right wing band from the Terrible Tunes thread.

Their website said something like "they are bringing a new kind of rebellion to rock n' roll....it's called Conservatism"

Rage for the Machine?

Starcross on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Did you miss, like, the entire fucking thread?

This flag represents one thing: a country that existed purely to continue the practice of slavery. It's not just actions associated with the flag, it's not some ubiquitous symbol that's seen use in many cultures, it has a very specific context and a very specific meaning. There is only one thing it's associated with, and flying it today to honor what it represented is reprehensible.
    lol did you realize at the time there was slavery still all over the world? I don't know what you're saying, to me, is if a country had slavery and then made their flag, that flag would now be made to represent slavery.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    I like all the slighted attacks against my schooling and whatnot thrown into your responses. Regardless if my knowledge of the subject is lacking.

"Hey, guys, two plus two makes five."

"Uh, no, two plus two equals four."

"Huh. I was taught that two plus two makes five. I guess to each his own."

"Where were you taught that? Because that's not the case."

"Hey, don't be attacking my schooling! My knowledge in the subject is lacking!"

There were atleast 4 posts containing well worded responses explaining why i'm wrong that didn't attempt to belittle me or make some snide remark. Shame you couldnt contain your vitriol.

Oh my god, he called you out. How rude.

There's a difference between Debate and Berate. I explained later the manner in which it was presented to me and I understood it, and there was some discourse over how it could be conveyed that way and why certain interpretations understand it as such. Making a comment along the lines of 'my god thats dumb and wrong most places of higher learning dont teach that' is just being an elitist and not really in the spirit of this forum. but enough of a derailment.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009

This flag represents one thing: a country that existed purely to continue the practice of slavery. It's not just actions associated with the flag, it's not some ubiquitous symbol that's seen use in many cultures, it has a very specific context and a very specific meaning. There is only one thing it's associated with, and flying it today to honor what it represented is reprehensible.
    lol did you realize at the time there was slavery still all over the world? I don't know what you're saying, to me, is if a country had slavery and then made their flag, that flag would now be made to represent slavery.

They made their flag for slavery. It's not like the stars and stripes coming into being while there was slavery, the confederate flag had one purpose: the furtherance of American slavery, a practice found nowhere else at the time except maybe some parts of the Caribbean, and condemned by most of the citizenry of the United States.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

If that country was founded upon the ability to own other people as property and maintained those policies for the whole of its duration, sure. Does that really seem unreasonable?

@Starcross: :^:

Bama on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    So you don't have any problem with flying a Nazi Germany flag or a swastika flag because the actions of the people using them aren't the same as their history and meaning of creation?
    OMFG I never said anything about the swastika OR the Confederate flag, or slavery being just or morally acceptable. All I was stating is the flag ITSELF (meaning the fucking actual design and creation) was created (as in the very beginning) to represent something OTHER than slavery. But that's just my 2 cents, I wouldn't blame anyone because the moment I see a swastika or a Confederate flag, I see them as the 2 worst ways to see them, cause that's how we were brought up in society learning these symbols and flags.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So you don't have any problem with flying a Nazi Germany flag or a swastika flag because the actions of the people using them aren't the same as their history and meaning of creation?
    OMFG I never said anything about the swastika OR the Confederate flag, or slavery being just or morally acceptable. All I was stating is the flag ITSELF (meaning the fucking actual design and creation) was created (as in the very beginning) to represent something OTHER than slavery.

Falsely.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    OMFG I never said anything about the swastika OR the Confederate flag, or slavery being just or morally acceptable. All I was stating is the flag ITSELF (meaning the fucking actual design and creation) was created (as in the very beginning) to represent something OTHER than slavery.
    What was it created to represent?

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

The army that was created to defend slavery, which is what I earlier pointed out and then Rak agreed with me for some reason.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »

The army that was created to defend slavery, which is what I earlier pointed out and then Rak agreed with me for some reason.
    Can I use the transitive (sounds right) property on History?

flag = army
    army = fights for slavery
    flag = the fight for slavery

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    OMFG I never said anything about the swastika OR the Confederate flag, or slavery being just or morally acceptable. All I was stating is the flag ITSELF (meaning the fucking actual design and creation) was created (as in the very beginning) to represent something OTHER than slavery. But that's just my 2 cents, I wouldn't blame anyone because the moment I see a swastika or a Confederate flag, I see them as the 2 worst ways to see them, cause that's how we were brought up in society learning these symbols and flags.
    Right. It was created from the very beginning to represent the cause of continuing and extending Slavery in the United States.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I like all the slighted attacks against my schooling and whatnot thrown into your responses. Regardless if my knowledge of the subject is lacking.

There were atleast 4 posts containing well worded responses explaining why i'm wrong that didn't attempt to belittle me or make some snide remark. Shame you couldnt contain your vitriol.

There's a difference between Debate and Berate. I explained later the manner in which it was presented to me and I understood it, and there was some discourse over how it could be conveyed that way and why certain interpretations understand it as such. Making a comment along the lines of 'my god thats dumb and wrong most places of higher learning dont teach that' is just being an elitist and not really in the spirit of this forum. but enough of a derailment.

Look, first you tried to pass off an error in a statement of fact as an opinion, then you blamed your school for teaching you the facts incorrectly, then you yelled at us for blaming your school, and then you tried to actually defend the CSA's stance on human slavery as "a matter of context".

Daedalus on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You're still on this?

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    You're still on this?

You're still on this?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    We're still on this?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Quaz and WallyQuaz and Wally Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Look, first you tried to pass off an error in a statement of fact as an opinion, then you blamed your school for teaching you the facts incorrectly, then you yelled at us for blaming your school, and then you tried to actually defend the CSA's stance on human slavery as "a matter of context".

He admitted he didn't take any college history, and that he was wrong. He even apologized for not reading the entire thread before posting his thoughts. Plus, people were not so polite as they were in your demonstration of the dialog. And how dare somebody suggest something that you disagree with in a debate! If you disagree that it's a "matter of context" then perhaps you should debate it instead of berate it. And yes, this is getting off topic.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

He admitted he didn't take any college history, and that he was wrong. He even apologized for not reading the entire thread before posting his thoughts. Plus, people were not so polite as they were in your demonstration of the dialog. And how dare somebody suggest something that you disagree with in a debate! If you disagree that it's a "matter of context" then perhaps you should debate it instead of berate it. And yes, this is getting off topic.
    oh but hey at least you're talking about things that happened in the thread and not just repeating what the person before you said in a tragic attempt at mocking them

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Can I use the transitive (sounds right) property on History?

flag = army
    army = fights for slavery
    flag = the fight for slavery

just replace "=" with "represents" and fix the conjugation of "fights" to "fight" and you're golden.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's kind of ironic to me in this context that one of the things being 'southern' stands for is politeness.

edit:: Also, one of the best uses of the nazi flag was in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, which takes place in Savannah, and in that context it was used to protest a movie about the civil war.

The irony abounds!

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    A true Southern Gentlman should be equitable to all people.

For a given value of [people].

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Not really keeping up with the thread, didn't plan on popping in again, in reference to the whole Matter of Context thing.

I didn't see the original argument, but was the whole "matter of context" argument, the argument that at the time, slavery was just a common, natural and understood institution that was controversial, but was generally accepted as the natural way of things?

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2009
    ShimSham wrote: »
    Not really keeping up with the thread, didn't plan on popping in again, in reference to the whole Matter of Context thing.

I didn't see the original argument, but was the whole "matter of context" argument, the argument that at the time, slavery was just a common, natural and understood institution that was controversial, but was generally accepted as the natural way of things?

I don't think so.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Elki wrote: »

I don't think so.

Not even close. Support of slavery was entirely limited to the south, with even those states going democrat supporting the Northern Democrats, which I recall being seen as anti-slavery pragmatists.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Elki wrote: »

I don't think so.
    That's cool

I just saw some mention of the context thing and wasn't sure if that was the argument being made.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    fuelishfuelish Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    slavery, a practice found nowhere else at the time except maybe some parts of the Caribbean,

You might want to research that a little.

fuelish on
    Another day in the bike shop Pretty much what it sounds like. The secret lifestyle, laid open.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    fuelish wrote: »
    slavery, a practice found nowhere else at the time except maybe some parts of the Caribbean,

American slavery, as distinguished from the more temporary kinds found elsewhere.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009

American slavery, as distinguished from the more temporary kinds found elsewhere.

American slavery was only taking place in America!!?? Wow. That there is one hell of a statement.

Again. You might want to look a little more deeply into world slavery in that time period.

fuelish on
    Another day in the bike shop Pretty much what it sounds like. The secret lifestyle, laid open.
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    "American slavery" as in slavery that was racially based, permanent, and hereditary. Most historical systems of slavery weren't either of the first two, and since most people didn't have children until their "term" was up the last wasn't usually a problem either. Also, slavery usually didn't lead to prejudice against a given group because in most systems anybody that committed certain crimes/went far enough into debt/whatever could end up as a slave. White people in the US knew it couldn't happen to them, so it was inevitable that whites would justify this by saying that blacks were naturally inferior. Which most white people in this country were doing up until a few decades ago.

American slavery was a fairly different animal from the things we see in most historical cultures.

Duffel on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Serfdom wasn't a picnic either.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    "American slavery" as in slavery that was racially based, permanent, and hereditary. Most historical systems of slavery weren't either of the first two, and since most people didn't have children until their "term" was up the last wasn't usually a problem either. Also, slavery usually didn't lead to prejudice against a given group because in most systems anybody that committed certain crimes/went far enough into debt/whatever could end up as a slave. White people in the US knew it couldn't happen to them, so it was inevitable that whites would justify this by saying that blacks were naturally inferior. Which most white people in this country were doing up until a few decades ago.

American slavery was a fairly different animal from the things we see in most historical cultures.

Oh. I misunderstood. I thought slavery was bad in toto. I guess that is why every one is cool with it in its present forms around the world and spends their time online mocking hillbillies with a Dukes of Hazard fetish.

fuelish on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Speaker wrote: »
    Serfdom wasn't a picnic either.
    Definitely not. I'm not real familiar with serfs/the manor system but I was under the impression that it had been phased out pretty much everywhere besides Russia by the 19th century. Although the debt slavery that many of the European peasantry probably wasn't much better in terms of standard of living, they at least had the advantage of not being property. But, as I said, this isn't really my field so I may be wrong.

Duffel on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    By the time of the civil war American was an anomaly in the world as far as slavery goes. I think it was the last anglican country to allow slavery, and certainly one the last in the world.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Oh. I misunderstood. I thought slavery was bad in toto. I guess that is why every one is cool with it in its present forms around the world and spends their time online mocking hillbillies with a Dukes of Hazard fetish.

See this is what one calls deceptive tactics. No one claimed that non-American slavery was not bad. You've repeatedly tried to misquote and misrepresent what people have said in this line so just cut the shit.

The quote was :

They made their flag for slavery. It's not like the stars and stripes coming into being while there was slavery, the confederate flag had one purpose: the furtherance of American slavery, a practice found nowhere else at the time except maybe some parts of the Caribbean, and condemned by most of the citizenry of the United States.

Your relative ignorance at to the state of slavery in the world - which was largely extinct as a system outside of serfdom in 1860 - is irrelevant. All you're doing is trying to distort the question at hand.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited February 2009

See this is what one calls deceptive tactics. No one claimed that non-American slavery was not bad. You've repeatedly tried to misquote and misrepresent what people have said in this line so just cut the shit.

The quote was :

Your relative ignorance at to the state of slavery in the world - which was largely extinct as a system outside of serfdom in 1860 - is irrelevant. All you're doing is trying to distort the question at hand.

Three posts in fifty pages is repeatedly?
    Only one of them, the one you quote here, is even a little deceptive. And then it is to point out the absurdity of the focus on slavery in the US, when it did take place in many other countries in the 1860s and continues to this day. Just because it was called by another name or the slave and master were the same color does not make it less wrong.

fuelish on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Slavery as an government endorsed institution did not exist anywhere else in the world on the scale of the american south by 1860.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yes.

It's OK. I know words can be confusing sometimes.

I really don't see how you can interpret someone saying that one form of slavery was peculiar to a certain area as them saying that any other form of slavery is just peachy.

Bama on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

The quote was :

Only one of them, the one you quote here, is even a little deceptive. And then it is to point out the absurdity of the focus on slavery in the US, when it did take place in many other countries in the 1860s and continues to this day. Just because it was called by another name or the slave and master were the same color does not make it less wrong.

...so? This thread isn't about ALL slavery. It's the slavery that concerns this topic.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    First, clearly three posts is repeatedly. Second, its three posts in a row within a page or two. Third, you're trying to push the argument into condemnation of the Confederate flag is somehow indicative of non-condemnation of slavery elsewhere. Its weak and dumb.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah by the time of the Civil War most of the Western world had already moved on to other less obvious forms of forced labor. Like orphaned children and the like.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah by the time of the Civil War most of the Western world had already moved on to other less obvious forms of forced labor. Like orphaned children and the like.

Actually there was a fairly big movement in the western world Against child labour. There where also several labour movement demanding fair pay and acceptable working conditions. You guys never heard of them because they where often lead by the comunists.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.