As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How Do I Business Cards?

DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So the time has come that I've been starting to branch out of my college cocoon and start networking like a little butterfly. The problem is I feel horribly unprepared when people offer me their business card or ask me for my business card and I have naught to offer.

I have some graphic design skill, so I plan to design something myself, but what I'm really looking for is suggestions for good places online to have them printed. I'm looking at buying some two-sided cards, color if cost allows, and I'd ideally like to be able to buy them in relatively small batches without breaking the bank. Any suggestions?

Signature not found.
DeathPrawn on

• Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I use www.vistaprint.com for all my business card needs. They have multiple options ranging from very basic to extravagant. Also check for coupon codes online. They always some promotion running so you can knock a few bucks off as well.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    FloofyFloofy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    moo.com seriously- did a batch of them and they are

1.Very cheap (£10 for 50)
    2. Allow multiple images
    3. Are printed on decent stock
    4. Have decent customer service and
    5. Aren't riddled with the hidden cost scams that a LOT of business card printers are.

Mine:
    (they all have the same back with contact details)
    blogcard1.jpg

blogcard2.jpg

blogcard4.jpg

Floofy on
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'd aim for a subtle off-white coloring. Something with a tasteful thickness. And if you really want to make an impression, splurge on a watermark.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Here's a handy tip: either leave the back of your card blank or design it specifically for being written on. It amazes me how many of my colleagues (graphic designers who should know better) have glossy/laminated business cards with elaborate, ornate designs on both sides of their business cards, keeping people from writing down useful information like quotes, URLs, or promo codes.

When I was working for a firm, I had a specific promo code printed on the back of my business cards that was good for a discount on one of our service bundles. When I switched to a one-sided card and made a point of saying "here, let me jot down a promo code for you" when courting a new client, the number of people using my code tripled.

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I’ve used Printplace.com and 48hourprint.com and both were fine.

supabeast on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I use facemediagroup.co.uk and they always do a nice job for me - and I get slightly thicker, silk coated cards, the quality of which just feels nicer when compared to some other cards.

If you're worried about the quality of somewhere, just request some samples.

Grenn on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If you want to do small batches, why not print straight to cardstock and slice them apart?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    mooshoepork on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I use www.vistaprint.com for all my business card needs. They have multiple options ranging from very basic to extravagant. Also check for coupon codes online. They always some promotion running so you can knock a few bucks off as well.

Probably a dumb question.

But are the free business cards really free?

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If you want to do small batches, why not print straight to cardstock and slice them apart?

I tried this. Don't do this. It's really fucking hard to make them square.

If you want to DIY, go with of these and you just pop them out.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    232430232430 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »

You pay for processing and postage, the actual cards are free. The biggest downside to this and the reason they do it, is that they put a Vistaprint logo and URL on the back of your card. Which of course, is a big no no for a professional business card.

232430 on
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    232430 wrote: »
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »

You pay for processing and postage, the actual cards are free. The biggest downside to this and the reason they do it, is that they put a Vistaprint logo and URL on the back of your card. Which of course, is a big no no for a professional business card.

Even with shipping and leaving the backside blank it'll only cost a few dollars.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You can print business cards at Staples or Kinkos. You dont have to go online for it.

KVW on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Moo.com is awesome.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    There are 2 different basic types of cards. There's the kind where you can print whatever you want in full color (CMYK) and it's very similar to what you'd print at Kinko's or at home, and there's the old school kind that are more restricted when it comes to graphics, but the ink is upraised (thermography) and you can feel the lettering on the card.

For the full color type, the pro is that you can print whatever you want, the con is that it looks like every other printed thing (not that that's a big deal).
    For the thermography/upraised ink, the pro is that it's really crisp and you can feel it on the card which some people really like, the con is that you're limited in what you can put on it.

They're two different types of print processes and my impression is that a lot of places do one or the other well, and that most of the places printed do the former (?). Do you know which one you want?

Hypatia on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Thirding Moo, they were really quick and the cards have good heft and texture (which is something often lacking in online/cheapo business cards)

This discussion has been closed.