As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Happy Birthday, Science!

• As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sure, but if you've NEVER USED A MICROSCOPE BEFORE there's more to it than just putting the slide under the objective and focusing up and down. Some people don't realize that you have to look around to actually find stuff. Some don't make the slide properly. If you don't fix the slide you could be looking at water, which isn't all that distinct, etc.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    As7 wrote: »
    Some people don't realize that you have to look around to actually find stuff.
    this is probably the case

and really doesn't bode well for common sense

Faricazy on
    edited February 2009
    anyway microscopes are pretty rad

Faricazy on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You know what looks amazing under a microscope? Milk protein. I had to determine what bacteria was in a batch of spoiled milk, but man, I was too busy looking at how awesome proteins are.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2009
    You know what I don't understand, though.

Is how uninterested some people are in biology.

It explains how your freaking body works. It's pretty much the most practical and fascinating science you can learn.

As7 on
    Secret Satan
    edited February 2009

It explains how your freaking body works. It's pretty much the most practical and fascinating science you can learn.
    the seat i picked today in class, on the back of the seat in front of me was etched PHYSICS = GAY

Faricazy on
    edited February 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »
    anyway microscopes are pretty rad

That they are. I look through one for about 6 hours or more a day, every workday, now.

Also: Milk protein? You know, one of the most fascinating slides is also one of the simplest and most common.

Hay suspensions can be pretty amazing to look at. All the protozoa and miniature animals are just amazing even to me.

As7 on
    Secret Satan
  • msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    NERDSSSSSSSSSS

Woo engineering.

msuitepyon on
    edited February 2009
    one of my close friends just switched from a biomechanical engineering major

the workload was too much for her

simply insane

Faricazy on
    edited February 2009

simply insane

I was originally Biophysics/Biochemistry.

Then I realized you have to take the hardest version of EVERY SCIENCE COURSE IN THE SCHOOL.

The most difficult math classes.

And MANY MANY biophysics/biochemistry classes which are basically advanced continuations of all those other classes you took.

And I realized that all I really cared about was biology and the basics of how chemistry and physics fit into the whole picture of life.

As7 on
    Secret Satan
    edited February 2009
    as far as she told me, she basically was taking the hardest bio and the hardest physics AND working in a required bioengineering lab many hours a week

Faricazy on
    edited February 2009

simply insane

And I realized that all I really cared about was biology and the basics of how chemistry and physics fit into the whole picture of life.
    Same here. High five.

I'm in my final year, but I still haven't done my first year Statistics unit. I failed it the first time, and I'm pretty sure I'd rather die than attempt it again.
    I mean, I know I have to do it again before I graduate, but man... I don't want to. I don't understand statistics at all. The unit may as well be in fucking Russian.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2009
    last semester i had like a two month period where i thought i didn't take statistics despite it being required for the major i already got accepted into

i genuinely had no recollection of taking any statistics class

then something sparked my memory and i remembered i did in fact take one

it sucked

Faricazy on
    edited February 2009
    Fari, can you do my statistics unit for me?

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2009
    no

it's not that hard really

mostly graphs and averages and probabilities and whatnot

Faricazy on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dublo7 wrote: »

simply insane

Same here. High five.

I'm in my final year, but I still haven't done my first year Statistics unit. I failed it the first time, and I'm pretty sure I'd rather die than attempt it again.
    I mean, I know I have to do it again before I graduate, but man... I don't want to. I don't understand statistics at all. The unit may as well be in fucking Russian.

Dude, I feel for you. I would be a Science Major if it wasn't for all the fuckin' math.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    same here

all i can do is english or history or some shit

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

simply insane

I have a friend who just switched into biomech engineering

I told her she was crazy

she now hates herself for doing this because the workload is indeed nuts

Grey Ghost on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dubh wrote: »

simply insane

Same here. High five.

Dude, I feel for you. I would be a Science Major if it wasn't for all the fuckin' math.

Yeah it's so unfair that science involves practical skills!

Blake T on
    edited February 2009
    Shut up Blake. Just coz you're good at maths.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Blaket wrote: »

simply insane

Same here. High five.

I'm extremely happy I was blessed with creativity, and don't need to rely on silly math or science.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

simply insane

Same here. High five.

I'm extremely happy I was blessed with creativity, and don't need to rely on silly math or science.

Except when you need a job that earns money!

Blake T on
    edited February 2009

simply insane

Same here. High five.

I was going to say that, but I wasn't in the mood for being mean.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Whereas boxing is the sweetest science you can learn. I posit that, if given a choice, most sensible individuals will select to learn how to box before learning biology - and rightly so.

SithDrummer on
    edited February 2009

simply insane

Same here. High five.

Hence why I'm grabbing vocational skills. Fuckers in public school never gave me that advice.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

simply insane

Same here. High five.

Blake apparently was!

Meissnerd on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Had Charles Darwin been able to witness his own gestation period, might he have changed his mind about the evolution of mankind? Assuming that he was an honest and keen observer of nature--and the evidence suggests that he was--the answer is a resounding yes. He essentially said so in 1872 when he wrote:

“If it could be demonstrated that any complex organ existed which could not possibly have been formed by numerous, successive slight modifications, my theory would ultimately breakdown.”

I have a quote from Darwin in response to that.

"But I can find out no such case."

ahaha.

Did they really use that as a quote.

Dude the thing I was quoting is posted on page 9, yes someone actually said that. The person who wrote it no doubt read the quote on some creationist website and is just copy/pasting it. Creationists are an incredibly deceitful bunch - in fact the only thing they are more of than deceitful is lazy, since the most popular creationist arguments are ones that have been refuted for decades, if not centuries. (And in the case of things like quoting Darwin... refuted before they were even used as arguments.)

DarkPrimus on
  • Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've found, as the years go by, that I am adept at Math.

However, I simply loathe it, so I don't do it unless it is completely necessary.

Which is why I am a history major. Instead of storing theorems, my brain retains dates and names and trivial factoids. Like, did you know that the round defensive formation employed by Greek warships was called the Kyklos? I don't know where I learned that but I'll be damned if I'll ever forget it!

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • coldbird.coldbird. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    you learned it from age of empires

coldbird. on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited February 2009
    I learned all of my historical facts from Age of Empires.

Like for example the 300AD Japanese Siege of London, which was eventually broken by a platoon of War Elephants from Mongolia.

bongi on
    edited February 2009
    I learned all of my history from Civ IV. Like when the vikings created Hinduism and... Wait.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So I just found out (or re-found out, I guess) that today is Lincoln's birthday, too.

I bet they are high fiving in heaven right this second.

sarukun on
    edited February 2009
    I just got beyond the sword, but the rest of my life is too cool so I don't have time to play it.

Which is why I'm quitting my job in a couple of weeks.

sarukun on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    fuck lincoln

PiptheFair on
    edited February 2009
    HABEUS CORPUS

MORE LIKE GAYBEUS CORPUS

PiptheFair on
  • RinderRinder Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    HABEUS CORPUS

MORE LIKE GAYBEUS PORPOISE

GayDolphin.gif

Rinder on
    edited February 2009
    dang that is better

PiptheFair on
  • jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fuck Lincoln??

"When I tell people we slept in the Lincoln bedroom, they always ask me the same thing - DID YOU DO IT??? Well, I don't want to kiss and tell, but my son's name is Abe".

jwalk on
    edited February 2009
    fuck lincoln

How 'bout fuck you instead

sarukun on
    edited February 2009
    Rinder wrote: »
    HABEUS CORPUS