Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Mormons are fucking prompt

1141517192062

Posts

  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Butters wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I'm not sure where to go from here to explain why the justification you just tried to provide was adding a hot, phlegmy loogie to insult to injury. You seem utterly incapable of the empathy required understand why other people would find this offensive if your response to them being pissed off is to say "look, it really doesn't impact you" when it fucking obviously has impacted them because they are pissed off about it.

    I think most people in this thread were getting pissed off because they thought a more traditional baptism was being performed on cadavers without the approval of anyone. That's proven not to be the case yet you, Hunter, and Spectre-X are all still acting like it is.

    did people seriously think it was a physical baptism?

    really?

    i think a spiritual one is still pretty perverse, though. religions should leave the dead alone.
    But really is it any different to someone that doesn't share those beliefs as just talking about a dead person?

    I mean I'm not religious, so if someone prays quietly that I be saved by their God then that to me is no different than if they were talking to themselves about me, you know?

    Obviously if your version of prayer is a demonstration outside my family's home or church then that's a problem, but a quiet conversation between you and your god doesn't affect me at all. If you don't believe in the real God then nothing will happen, if you do and he listens I'll be ushered into heaven and send you a heavenly high-five.

    they're free to do it, and i'm free to find it creepy and weird

    it's a wonderful world

    Calling it weird is fine. Viewing it like it's as reprehensible as human sacrifice is just plain silly though.
    Oh, sorry guys, no more complaining about people doing shitty things unless it is worse that sacrificing a human being. Pack it up.

    TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »
    you fuckers are all crazy

    at this rate heaven is going to be a fucking mall, a store for every religion. don't forget to get baptized and receive your 20% off coupon!

    Except the coupon is more like a get out of hell free card.

    Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I'm not sure where to go from here to explain why the justification you just tried to provide was adding a hot, phlegmy loogie to insult to injury. You seem utterly incapable of the empathy required understand why other people would find this offensive if your response to them being pissed off is to say "look, it really doesn't impact you" when it fucking obviously has impacted them because they are pissed off about it.

    I think most people in this thread were getting pissed off because they thought a more traditional baptism was being performed on cadavers without the approval of anyone. That's proven not to be the case yet you, Hunter, and Spectre-X are all still acting like it is.

    did people seriously think it was a physical baptism?

    really?

    i think a spiritual one is still pretty perverse, though. religions should leave the dead alone.

    Same here.

    Physical or spiritual, it's still trying to establish one religion as better or the true path over another. Keep your spiritual opinions to yourself is my opinion. Also, I believe they're hypocrites, because they would probably be pissed if say Hindus or Muslims did it to their dead, who were heathens and needed saving. Of course they won't admit it.

    I can honestly say that I could care less what other people are saying/performing within their own religion as long as they aren't physically hurting another individual.

    I think it comes down to intent and that seems to be the crux of the debate right now. I know that the reason I perform baptisms for the dead is because I want everyone to have the chance to accept what I believe to be true. Its a way to show love and service for my fellow man.

    You look and say I am doing it as a GIANT "EFF YOU!" to the rest of the religous community and pointing and laughing about wrong they are. If I have to stop doing something because you wrongly judge my intent, then so should everyone else in the world. And if that's the case then we have some serious issues. I could start getting offended because you are breathing in a mean way in my direction. You better stop breathing then, huh?

    I apologise for being overly harsh before.

    It is just that some people see it as meddling in their spiritual affairs.

    All right, I have stopped caring about this. I still think it is an unintentional dick move, however.

    Spectre-x on
    Sig_link_image.jpg
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »
    you fuckers are all crazy

    at this rate heaven is going to be a fucking mall, a store for every religion. don't forget to get baptized and receive your 20% off coupon!

    Ooo! Ooo! Is the coupon useable on everything?

    ObiFett on
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Butters wrote: »
    Faricazy wrote: »
    you fuckers are all crazy

    at this rate heaven is going to be a fucking mall, a store for every religion. don't forget to get baptized and receive your 20% off coupon!

    Except the coupon is more like a get out of hell free card.
    hell is where all the fun people are going to be, though

    Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
    Twitter Steam Playstation- Mechaphiliac
  • EtelmikEtelmik Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You know, the ping-ponging here isn't a real debate. The subtext here is old and stale. It is that some people who don't believe in religion are offended by religion's assertions of necessity, and that religious people find it old, and that some people who are more reasonable (Butters, for instance) have long realized that passive religious belief isn't going to hurt anyone.

    Ah, America.

    Etelmik on
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    kingkhan wrote: »
    I don't see how you can claim to know the desires of the dead.

    If someone lives their whole life as a Jew, is very devout, and dies, still a Jew, with a will that asks that Jewish rites be performed at their funeral, I think it's pretty fucking obvious they didn't have any interest in becoming a Mormon.

    Way to sidestep the issue again.

    I still think the potential for dividing families by asking one person for permission to include someone in a religious act when said person nor anyone else has a say is the problem.

    It's right up there with findoung out your late father is a member of some UFO cult because his shitty third wife said okay over the phone. Why should it be the mormon's place to request such a thing in the first place? what kind of shitty god asks for that kind of behavior?

    Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    if someone baptizes me after i die you can bet your ass i am coming back and haunting the fucker

    spilling their tea

    discharging their batteries

    Faricazy on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh, sorry guys, no more complaining about people doing shitty things unless it is worse that sacrificing a human being. Pack it up.

    Hey! It's about time we got a real straw man in this thread.

    Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters
  • GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mysst wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    Faricazy wrote: »
    you fuckers are all crazy

    at this rate heaven is going to be a fucking mall, a store for every religion. don't forget to get baptized and receive your 20% off coupon!

    Except the coupon is more like a get out of hell free card.
    hell is where all the fun people are going to be, though

    Hell doesn't look like fun. I've seen Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey.

    GRMike on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Butters wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I'm not sure where to go from here to explain why the justification you just tried to provide was adding a hot, phlegmy loogie to insult to injury. You seem utterly incapable of the empathy required understand why other people would find this offensive if your response to them being pissed off is to say "look, it really doesn't impact you" when it fucking obviously has impacted them because they are pissed off about it.

    I think most people in this thread were getting pissed off because they thought a more traditional baptism was being performed on cadavers without the approval of anyone. That's proven not to be the case yet you, Hunter, and Spectre-X are all still acting like it is.

    did people seriously think it was a physical baptism?

    really?

    i think a spiritual one is still pretty perverse, though. religions should leave the dead alone.
    But really is it any different to someone that doesn't share those beliefs as just talking about a dead person?

    I mean I'm not religious, so if someone prays quietly that I be saved by their God then that to me is no different than if they were talking to themselves about me, you know?

    Obviously if your version of prayer is a demonstration outside my family's home or church then that's a problem, but a quiet conversation between you and your god doesn't affect me at all. If you don't believe in the real God then nothing will happen, if you do and he listens I'll be ushered into heaven and send you a heavenly high-five.

    they're free to do it, and i'm free to find it creepy and weird

    it's a wonderful world

    Calling it weird is fine. Viewing it like it's as reprehensible as human sacrifice is just plain silly though.

    Show me where anyone equated it to human sacrifice.

    It's intrusive and unwanted yes, but not inhuman or disgusting.

    Hunter on
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Faricazy wrote: »
    you fuckers are all crazy

    at this rate heaven is going to be a fucking mall, a store for every religion. don't forget to get baptized and receive your 20% off coupon!

    Ooo! Ooo! Is the coupon useable on everything?
    we have a special on embroidered mormon bathrobes

    Faricazy on
  • satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    GRMike wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    Faricazy wrote: »
    you fuckers are all crazy

    at this rate heaven is going to be a fucking mall, a store for every religion. don't forget to get baptized and receive your 20% off coupon!

    Except the coupon is more like a get out of hell free card.
    hell is where all the fun people are going to be, though

    Hell doesn't look like fun. I've seen Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey.

    yeah but death is kind of a punk when it comes to board games so we should be set anyways

    satansfingers on
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Quoth wrote: »
    Callius wrote: »
    I'm so fucking glad I don't have to get hung up on all this religious kooky bullshit like "am I going to hell or not?"

    It's awesome.
    But what about, "Am I a smarmy douchebag?"

    he already knows the answer to that question

    Yeah, pretty sure I've got that base covered pretty well too.

    Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My point was people have been freaking the fuck out over this very small matter, Hunter.

    Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters
  • satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Butters wrote: »
    My point was people have been freaking the fuck out over this very small matter, Hunter.

    that was a weirdly specific and unrelated example, then

    satansfingers on
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    how do you not see that the argument against postmortem baptism has nothing to do with the religious aspects? it's irrelevant who's right and whose heaven or god really exists. that's not the point.

    Faricazy on
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I'm not sure where to go from here to explain why the justification you just tried to provide was adding a hot, phlegmy loogie to insult to injury. You seem utterly incapable of the empathy required understand why other people would find this offensive if your response to them being pissed off is to say "look, it really doesn't impact you" when it fucking obviously has impacted them because they are pissed off about it.

    I think most people in this thread were getting pissed off because they thought a more traditional baptism was being performed on cadavers without the approval of anyone. That's proven not to be the case yet you, Hunter, and Spectre-X are all still acting like it is.

    NO. I am NOT. I understand PERFECTLY what the ceremony entails, as do all the people who have petitioned the Church to knock it the fuck off.

    I'm amazed that it's me, the soft determinist and atheist, that seems to be more capable of understanding why even this entirely symbolic ceremony, performed miles and miles away from the actual corpse, could be offensive to the descendants of the dead person in question than the people who are supposed to be learning love and human kindness from the church.

    And see, the people performing this "service" are taking time (hours usually) out of their busy schedule to help people they never knew. This is done purely because they are doing what they think will eventually lead to happiness for everyone. The intent is PURELY out of love and kindness for their fellow men.

    ObiFett on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Butters wrote: »
    My point was people have been freaking the fuck out over this very small matter, Hunter.

    You see it as a small matter, but there appear to be people who are afraid that Mormon baptisms have some kind of magic power over them.

    Seg on
  • kingkhankingkhan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Faricazy wrote: »
    you fuckers are all crazy

    at this rate heaven is going to be a fucking mall, a store for every religion. don't forget to get baptized and receive your 20% off coupon!

    Ooo! Ooo! Is the coupon useable on everything?

    Only on magic underpants.

    kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ObiFett wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I'm not sure where to go from here to explain why the justification you just tried to provide was adding a hot, phlegmy loogie to insult to injury. You seem utterly incapable of the empathy required understand why other people would find this offensive if your response to them being pissed off is to say "look, it really doesn't impact you" when it fucking obviously has impacted them because they are pissed off about it.

    I think most people in this thread were getting pissed off because they thought a more traditional baptism was being performed on cadavers without the approval of anyone. That's proven not to be the case yet you, Hunter, and Spectre-X are all still acting like it is.

    NO. I am NOT. I understand PERFECTLY what the ceremony entails, as do all the people who have petitioned the Church to knock it the fuck off.

    I'm amazed that it's me, the soft determinist and atheist, that seems to be more capable of understanding why even this entirely symbolic ceremony, performed miles and miles away from the actual corpse, could be offensive to the descendants of the dead person in question than the people who are supposed to be learning love and human kindness from the church.

    And see, the people performing this "service" are taking time (hours usually) out of their busy schedule to help people they never knew. This is done purely because they are doing what they think will eventually lead to happiness for everyone. The intent is PURELY out of love and kindness for their fellow men.

    so intent is all that makes an act good or bad?

    satansfingers on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    I apologise for being overly harsh before.

    It is just that some people see it as meddling in their spiritual affairs.

    All right, I have stopped caring about this. I still think it is an unintentional dick move, however.

    Then I hope you're at least agnostic because pretty much every church and religion that believes in heaven and hell takes the "My belief is the most correct" stance.

    Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Faricazy wrote: »
    you fuckers are all crazy

    at this rate heaven is going to be a fucking mall, a store for every religion. don't forget to get baptized and receive your 20% off coupon!

    Ooo! Ooo! Is the coupon useable on everything?
    we have a special on embroidered mormon bathrobes

    I'll take it. So with the 20% off, what does that come to?

    ObiFett on
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    the intent might very well be good, but it doesn't preclude the act from being disrespectful and condescending

    what is this, Mormon's Burden?

    Faricazy on
  • Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Not done with the thread yet, but just popping in to say that, as of page 13, you all are being some close-minded bigoted fucks against people calmly and clearly stating their beliefs which don't affect you one way or the other.

    Edit, also I didn't realize GRMike was an expert on Mormonism. He has a website to show you guys! A website!

    Fire Truck on
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Butters wrote: »
    Oh, sorry guys, no more complaining about people doing shitty things unless it is worse that sacrificing a human being. Pack it up.

    Hey! It's about time we got a real straw man in this thread.

    And we appreciate you for providing it.

    No one compared it to human sacrifice. You just whipped that up to trivialize what people are saying.

    TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ObiFett wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I'm not sure where to go from here to explain why the justification you just tried to provide was adding a hot, phlegmy loogie to insult to injury. You seem utterly incapable of the empathy required understand why other people would find this offensive if your response to them being pissed off is to say "look, it really doesn't impact you" when it fucking obviously has impacted them because they are pissed off about it.

    I think most people in this thread were getting pissed off because they thought a more traditional baptism was being performed on cadavers without the approval of anyone. That's proven not to be the case yet you, Hunter, and Spectre-X are all still acting like it is.

    NO. I am NOT. I understand PERFECTLY what the ceremony entails, as do all the people who have petitioned the Church to knock it the fuck off.

    I'm amazed that it's me, the soft determinist and atheist, that seems to be more capable of understanding why even this entirely symbolic ceremony, performed miles and miles away from the actual corpse, could be offensive to the descendants of the dead person in question than the people who are supposed to be learning love and human kindness from the church.

    And see, the people performing this "service" are taking time (hours usually) out of their busy schedule to help people they never knew. This is done purely because they are doing what they think will eventually lead to happiness for everyone. The intent is PURELY out of love and kindness for their fellow men.

    so intent is all that makes an act good or bad?

    thatsall.gif

    We should all go now, before Hitler comes up.

    Jigrah on
    jigrah please. pass the pipe
    Ruckus wrote: »
    Jigrah please. take my hand.
    Butters wrote: »
    Jigrah please! You'll wake the children
    Mysst wrote: »
    jigrah, please, we won't have this moment again.
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    Jigrah, please, I have a headache
    Jigrah, please. Just the tip, I promise.
    jigrah please let me have your babies
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I'm going to name my next global pestilence "Jigrah"
    Mysst wrote: »
    jigrah, please don't stop
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    jigrah please invite me next time you watch robotech.
    Druhim wrote:
    Jigrah, please, our dinner is getting cold
    Well Jigrah, maybe if you said please.


  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    so intent is all that makes an act good or bad?

    When it comes to religion yeah pretty much. The effects of your decisions have no bearing outside of reality.
    Seg wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    My point was people have been freaking the fuck out over this very small matter, Hunter.

    You see it as a small matter, but there appear to be people who are afraid that Mormon baptisms have some kind of magic power over them.

    HA HA HA! Exactly!

    Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »
    you fuckers are all crazy

    at this rate heaven is going to be a fucking mall, a store for every religion. don't forget to get baptized and receive your 20% off coupon!

    "Did you sign up for the Tiet One heaven plan, or the Tier Two? I'm sorry, Tier Two is only valid with the ordinance offer, would you like to visit one of our fine money-lenders/"

    "Nah, I'll just check in with those Protestants; I hear they accept no-credit customers if you just sign your name."

    Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    jigrah please

    satansfingers on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ObiFett wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I'm not sure where to go from here to explain why the justification you just tried to provide was adding a hot, phlegmy loogie to insult to injury. You seem utterly incapable of the empathy required understand why other people would find this offensive if your response to them being pissed off is to say "look, it really doesn't impact you" when it fucking obviously has impacted them because they are pissed off about it.

    I think most people in this thread were getting pissed off because they thought a more traditional baptism was being performed on cadavers without the approval of anyone. That's proven not to be the case yet you, Hunter, and Spectre-X are all still acting like it is.

    NO. I am NOT. I understand PERFECTLY what the ceremony entails, as do all the people who have petitioned the Church to knock it the fuck off.

    I'm amazed that it's me, the soft determinist and atheist, that seems to be more capable of understanding why even this entirely symbolic ceremony, performed miles and miles away from the actual corpse, could be offensive to the descendants of the dead person in question than the people who are supposed to be learning love and human kindness from the church.

    And see, the people performing this "service" are taking time (hours usually) out of their busy schedule to help people they never knew. This is done purely because they are doing what they think will eventually lead to happiness for everyone. The intent is PURELY out of love and kindness for their fellow men.

    That's like installing a rad pneumatic tube messaging system in someone's house while they're on vacation.

    I mean, yeah, they might actually want it but you still modified their house and out in something with no practical value to them. Also they never ever gave any hint as to wanting a pneumatic tube system.

    And they also may have rolled their eyes every time the travel agency from the re-make of Fantasy Island with Malcolm McDowell sent the new travel orders to the island via a similar tube.

    Spectre-x on
    Sig_link_image.jpg
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    jigrah please

    God I love this. I have to stop pointing it out and let it ride though.

    Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    here's what mormons can do for me: have enough self restraint and respect for fellow human beings to deem MY choices and MY decisions as my final word.

    Faricazy on
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ObiFett wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I'm not sure where to go from here to explain why the justification you just tried to provide was adding a hot, phlegmy loogie to insult to injury. You seem utterly incapable of the empathy required understand why other people would find this offensive if your response to them being pissed off is to say "look, it really doesn't impact you" when it fucking obviously has impacted them because they are pissed off about it.

    I think most people in this thread were getting pissed off because they thought a more traditional baptism was being performed on cadavers without the approval of anyone. That's proven not to be the case yet you, Hunter, and Spectre-X are all still acting like it is.

    NO. I am NOT. I understand PERFECTLY what the ceremony entails, as do all the people who have petitioned the Church to knock it the fuck off.

    I'm amazed that it's me, the soft determinist and atheist, that seems to be more capable of understanding why even this entirely symbolic ceremony, performed miles and miles away from the actual corpse, could be offensive to the descendants of the dead person in question than the people who are supposed to be learning love and human kindness from the church.

    And see, the people performing this "service" are taking time (hours usually) out of their busy schedule to help people they never knew. This is done purely because they are doing what they think will eventually lead to happiness for everyone. The intent is PURELY out of love and kindness for their fellow men.

    so intent is all that makes an act good or bad?


    I was addressing the bolded part in the text I quoted. So I think intent has alot to do with it since he was calling into question wether or not this act actually helps someone be a better person.

    But in this case since it is actually not hurting anyone AT ALL for prayers/ceremonies to be said in the privacy of someone else's church/temple, then yes, the intent is really all that matters.

    I have had friends pray for me to be saved because I am a member of a cult that is going to hell. I found it touching that they cared enough about me to do that. I have also had people who I know hated me say they were going to do the same. Seeing as their intent was probably just to shove it in my face how wrong I am, I sort of took offense to that, but its not like I am going to freak out about it or even put any stock into it.

    ObiFett on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Butters wrote: »
    My point was people have been freaking the fuck out over this very small matter, Hunter.

    To some people it's not a small matter. To many of my extremely Roman Catholic family on my mother's side, who are nutty fucking Shiite Catholics, they would find that repulsive that someone would purposely try to interfere or supersede their loved one's relationship with Jeebus. To them, the word baptism is not synonymous with prayer and if the Mormon church specifically called what they were doing a baptism, well then it had a specific meaning or was attempting to specifically achieve a certain goal. A goal that was unwanted and intrusive, as well as against their personal faith because they were already baptised in the church and later confirmed Catholics.

    I know it's not a physical ceremony. There's no corpse dug up and taken down to the river for a good dunking. That would be kind of cool actually. But to those who take religion seriously they don't want other people up in their business. Which is why I say keep it to yourself.

    Hunter on
  • babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I'm not sure where to go from here to explain why the justification you just tried to provide was adding a hot, phlegmy loogie to insult to injury. You seem utterly incapable of the empathy required understand why other people would find this offensive if your response to them being pissed off is to say "look, it really doesn't impact you" when it fucking obviously has impacted them because they are pissed off about it.

    I think most people in this thread were getting pissed off because they thought a more traditional baptism was being performed on cadavers without the approval of anyone. That's proven not to be the case yet you, Hunter, and Spectre-X are all still acting like it is.

    NO. I am NOT. I understand PERFECTLY what the ceremony entails, as do all the people who have petitioned the Church to knock it the fuck off.

    I'm amazed that it's me, the soft determinist and atheist, that seems to be more capable of understanding why even this entirely symbolic ceremony, performed miles and miles away from the actual corpse, could be offensive to the descendants of the dead person in question than the people who are supposed to be learning love and human kindness from the church.

    And see, the people performing this "service" are taking time (hours usually) out of their busy schedule to help people they never knew. This is done purely because they are doing what they think will eventually lead to happiness for everyone. The intent is PURELY out of love and kindness for their fellow men.

    That's like installing a rad pneumatic tube messaging system in someone's house while they're on vacation.

    I mean, yeah, they might actually want it but you still modified their house and out in something with no practical value to them. Also they never ever gave any hint as to wanting a pneumatic tube system.

    And they also may have rolled their eyes every time the travel agency from the re-make of Fantasy Island with Malcolm McDowell sent the new travel orders to the island via a similar tube.
    No it's more like wishing that someone could have a pneumatic tube system in their house because they think you'd like it.

    See the difference?

    babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Saying that "there's no harm to the dead person in question" is irrelevant. The likelihood that Mormons doing this is going to raise your chances of getting into totally rad heaven is approximately equal to the chances that it will raise your chances of going to hell. (In other words, not very fucking likely at all) If you're going to raise the possibility that they are right, why not raise the approximately equal hypothesis that they are very wrong?

    The issue is that it's an insult. The people this has been going over the worst with are the surviving relatives of Jewish Holocaust victims. Their ancestors were happy being Jewish, (right up until they got gassed for it, I guess, but at least then they were still proud) and they are happy being Jewish, and some punk ass kooks thousands of miles away are performing ceremonies which send one essential message: "You were wrong, but it's all good because I'm here to help you." You're not just "saying a prayer" for them, you're going out and telling them their parents were wrong and what they've learned is wrong but don't worry! We're here to take care of them, and we'll take care of you too once you're dead and you can't slam the door on us anymore. That's what's offensive. And if you take seriously your claim that you respect other people's beliefs and you still engage in this practice, then you're a giant fucking hypocrite and there's no way around it.

    MrMonroe on
  • edited February 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »
    here's what mormons can do for me: have enough self restraint and respect for fellow human beings to deem MY choices and MY decisions as my final word.
    yeah but man i mean you don't even know about it

    how can it be disrespectful if you don't know

    bongi on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Butters wrote: »
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    I apologise for being overly harsh before.

    It is just that some people see it as meddling in their spiritual affairs.

    All right, I have stopped caring about this. I still think it is an unintentional dick move, however.

    Then I hope you're at least agnostic because pretty much every church and religion that believes in heaven and hell takes the "My belief is the most correct" stance.

    I am a Pastafarian.

    Spectre-x on
    Sig_link_image.jpg
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »
    here's what mormons can do for me: have enough self restraint and respect for fellow human beings to deem MY choices and MY decisions as my final word.

    You pretty much have to say that to any religion, dude.

    Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters
This discussion has been closed.